Ashley’s Dilemma

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
odlum
odlum
33 Followers

Suddenly there was a noise. A startled and embarrassed Ashley broke away from her fantasy. She desperately hoped it was John. However, it was only Mickey. It was five o'clock. She was throwing her bowel about the kitchen floor to announce it was dinnertime.

A tired and disheartened Ashley wiped her sticky fingers against the sides her cotton shorts. She rose slowly and deliberately from the sofa, adjusted her clothes, and fed her dog. The simple act of feeding the dog seemed to clear her mind. She glanced again at the pile of papers on the table. Then Ashley knew what she had to do.

Sunrise ended the job. It painted the mountains surrounding the remote campsite in pinks and mauves. Ashley leaned against the shovel and surveyed her work. The cairn had all the characteristics of a natural rock pile. She had placed a plastic package containing a stack of crumpled papers under the rocks at the top of the pile. A barely noticeable pattern of rocks formed a cross on the front of the cairn. With bits of tumbleweed, she brushed away the shovel marks and her tracks. The wind would take care of the rest. Ashley tearfully packed the tools into the back of the pick-up and closed up the trailer. Mickey watched from the front seat of the pick-up. Ashley stood for a moment in silence looking at the cairn. She bit her lip and whispered, "Bye John, You are my hero. I'll always love you."

Ashley climbed behind the wheel of the truck. Mickey crossed over the console and laid her head on Ashley's lap. A faltering hand turned the key and pulled on the gear lever. The truck bumped slowly down the road, Ashley rubbed the little dog's ears, glanced back at the cairn one more time as it disappeared in the dust, and let the tears fall freely down her cheeks. The little dog seemed to understand that it was just the two of them again as they began their journey to southern Arizona. She nuzzled into Ashley's lap in a reassuring way. By the time they reached the highway, Ashley's tears had dried. As they turned south, Ashley felt the unseen presence of her protector. John had there for her: her casino hero. Even at the very end, he had tried to ensure that she would have a chance and a future. The prospects were uncertain but, thanks to John, they had somewhere to go to and the opportunity to make a fresh start. That's all that really mattered. That's all he would have wanted.

odlum
odlum
33 Followers
12