Asteroid Patrol: Timid Hero

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Storm62
Storm62
354 Followers

"What is it Nobby?"

Nobby shuffled his feet and looked embarrassed.

"Well I....The truth is....I....I've found another girl." He finally managed to say.

"You have? I'm happy for you. Who is it?" Stacey asked with a smile.

"That new nurse, Heather. We sort of just clicked. I'm sorry babe...." He tailed off again.

"It's okay Nobby, I understand. I'm not the girl I used to be, not the girl you first met. We just grew apart." They looked at each other for a moment and then Nobby kissed her on the cheek.

"Gotta get to work. Emmy wants you and your lot back at the hub pronto. Take the injured bod with you. Now scram cutie!" He smiled. "The boss don't like to be kept waiting."

"Going now." She smiled back. "As soon as I can get unplugged from the station."

"You remembered how to do that?" He whistled in awe. "Good girl."

"You taught me, remember?"

"I weren't sure you'd remember."

"I remember lots of things." She smirked naughtily, waggling her eyebrows. Nobby went red and then scuttled off to do his job.

With a sigh of relief Stacey docked 'Juliet' back at her berth in the hub. She let her body sag tiredly for the first time since the emergency take off on 'Big Blue 7'.Then she pulled herself back together one more time. She called Toddy in the cargo hold with the injured officer from Station Six.

"Paul, help them get our guest to the infirmary. When you've done that, get a drink and a bite to eat and then report to Sergeant Baldwin, she'll want your version of the events too."

"Okay Stace. See you later." He sounded perkier than at any other time since she'd met him. Then she realised that had only been this morning.

Next Stacey turned to Sergeant Winters who had acted as co-pilot back to the hub.

"Sorry for disrupting your test Sarge, and I'm really, really sorry for ordering you about on Six."

"I told you before." He smiled. "I was just a passenger. It was....Interesting, shall we say? And it made me realise that I need to get out more." Stacey gave a weak smile. Winters held out his hand. "It's definitely been educational Stacey." She took his hand and they shook. "Now I think I'd better go and make my report." With that he left, leaving Stacey sitting alone. She placed her hand on the control panel in front of her.

"Well, I busted you up pretty good old girl. I hope they think you're worth saving, because you saved us." She patted the panel affectionately before squaring her shoulders and leaving the pilots seat of 'Juliet' for what might be the last time.

To her utter astonishment Stacey was greeted by a round of applause as she stepped out of the airlock. She stopped still, unsure what was happening. Big Dave walked over to her, clapping, a smile on his face.

"What's this for?" Stacey asked.

"Appreciation for the return of a hero, Stace." He continued to grin, amused by her puzzlement.

"A hero? Me? But I nearly got everyone killed with my clever ideas. And 'Juliet'.... 'Juliet' could be finished."

"Stacey, everyone's alive because of you. And you don't think we're going to let them scrap 'Juliet' because of a couple of dents."

"A couple of dents? Dave, she's been hammered: the engine misfires and the electrics keep shorting...."

Big Dave held up his hand.

"She needed upgrading anyway. They are NOT going to take her away, I promise."

"And I made a mess of the test." Stacey continued to protest.

She looked so downcast that Dave put his arm around her shoulder.

"We'll see shall we? Come on, Emmy wants to see you."

Still unsure she was deserving of being called a hero Stacey was surprised by the number of handshakes and back-slaps she got while following Big Dave up to Emmy's office. Sergeant Winters was just coming out as they arrived. Stacey stopped to speak to him.

"Sergeant, I hope they assign you to my re-test."

"What re-test?" He appeared puzzled.

"No re-test? I blew it that badly?"

"Officer Grainger!" Sergeant Baldwin called out. "If you're done gossiping...." Emmy sounded unhappy, so Stacey went in quickly.

This meant she missed the exchange between Big Dave and Joe Winters.

"Thanks for feigning ignorance Joe; I know Emmy wants to tell Stacey herself."

"No big deal Dave, although I did have a problem keeping a straight face." They shook hands. "You can tell Stacey that if she ever wants a change, we can find her an instructors post at the Flight School." He thought of something else. "And remind her that a Senior Pilot needs to be able to fly all the craft under their jurisdiction, not just their favourite."

"Will do Joe. See you around."

Stacey falteringly finished her report to the hard-faced Sergeant Baldwin. While she had been worried before, seeing her friend looking so stern increased her anxiety ten-fold. Emmy leant her elbows on the desk and peered at Stacey over steepled fingers.

"So Officer Grainger, you are assuming responsibility for everything that went on out there?"

"Yes ma'am. I entered the asteroid field when I didn't have too; I caused Officer Todd to land on an asteroid on a whim; and I initiated an unauthorised engine start-up procedure." Stacey replied, deflatedly. Although she blamed herself for the damage 'Juliet' had suffered, she hadn't thought that Emmy would too.

"I'm glad." Emmy suddenly smiled. "It means Dave and I were right about you." Stacey looked bewildered now. "Stacey, who was it that asked you to enter the field?"

"No-one ma'am." She replied, still unsure about what Emmy meant about being right.

"Wrong. I did. I knew what you'd do when I made the request."

"You did?"

"Of course. In any case, we now think the initial report was a fake. Someone wanted to destroy a patrol ship and a station at the same time for some reason and the report was a lure. We don't know why yet."

"Wait a second. You mean you don't blame me for any of this?"

"I do not. Why would I?"

"Why all the serious looks then?"

"My dear Stacey, I'm just trying to make you realise that you are one of the best and most responsible officers I have. Do you honestly think anyone else could have done better out there?"

"They might have got airborne quicker."

"They might not have got airborne at all." Emmy countered.

"Sergeant Winters didn't think that highly of me. He said I couldn't have a re-test."

"Why would you need a re-test? He passed you."

"So he was in on this wind-up with you too?"

"All three of us."

"Paul as well?"

"No silly. Big Dave. You don't seriously think there's anything going on around here HE doesn't know about."

"No." Stacey said. Then realisation hit her. "I passed? I'm a Senior Pilot?"

"Indeed you are. Sergeant Grainger." Emmy smiled at her friends' excitement.

"Sergeant? I'm promoted as well?" Stacey was amazed.

"Goes with the job."

"But....but I can't order Big Dave about."

"Why not? I can."

"You're married to him."

"Just don't worry about Dave. There are going to be a few changes around here shortly."

"Like what?"

"I'm not at liberty to say at the moment. Anyway, here are your orders." Emmy handed a file over. "You are now in charge of everything pilot-related. You get an office and an admin assistant and why am I telling you this when you've been doing this job for me for a couple of months? And wipe that smirk off your face."

"Sorry ma'am." Stacey said, now unable to suppress the smile, a gleam of excitement in her eyes.

Emmy looked down at a list on the desk. She too was having trouble keeping a straight face.

"Oh yes. What are your impressions of Officer Todd?"

"I think Paul has the makings of a fine officer." Emmy smiled at the 'Paul'. "He has the intelligence and ability, but he lacks confidence." Emmy smiled again. "A little responsibility could do him good." Stacey finished.

"Then it's up to you to give it to him." The Sergeant said.

"What?"

"I'm assigning him to you. You need a partner or a co-pilot, or whatever you decide." Emmy said this last part with a twinkle in her eye.

"What do you mean by that? 'Whatever I decide'. Why are you smirking?"

"See you later Stace, when you've worked it out." Emmy practically pointed at the door. "And if Officer Todd is out there, send him in please." She called out as Stacey left the office somewhat bemused.

Big Dave was still outside, talking quietly with Paul. Stacey recognised the tone; it was Dave's confidence-building small-talk voice, the one he had used so often with her when she had first been posted here. Toddy looked up as she closed the door.

"Me now?" He asked nervously.

"Yep." Stacey grinned.

"But why does the sergeant need to see me?" Paul looked worried.

"She doesn't NEED to see you, Officer Todd; She WANTS to see you." Dave explained. "Emmy likes to get as much input as possible."

"Too much at times." Stacey added.

"But what do I say?" He wailed.

"Just answer her questions." Stacey told him. "All Emmy wants is your account of the incident. She's not trying to catch you out or anything, I promise." She paused. "Oh! And she's got a new assignment for you. Now get in there." He went. Stacey smiled to herself.

"You like him don't you?" Big Dave asked suddenly.

"I do. Even though he was scared he did everything he was supposed to do. And he did them right."

"Sounds a bit like someone I remember from three years ago." Dave grinned.

"Was I really like that?" Stacey asked blushing.

"Yes, you were. A timid new probationer that I was never going to let out on the streets on her own." He smiled and tousled her hair. "Until you got 'Juliet' that is. She gave you what you needed, confidence."

"Ahh, 'Juliet'." Stacey sighed and then frowned. "They wouldn't really scrap her would they?"

"Stace, even if she's too far gone for them to rebuild her, she's not going to the scrap yard. We'll keep her as your office or something." He hugged her as her face cleared. "By the way, Joe says you should make yourself familiar with all the ship types on the hub. It helps if the Senior Pilot knows what their subordinates are talking about."

"I was thinking that, especially now that my ship is in dock for repairs." She gave him a big smile. "Send Toddy down to my office when he's done here. I need to go and see what ships I've got available for tomorrow."

"Will do." Dave paused, a look of devilment on his face. "Sarge." He finished. Stacey turned to go, her face crimson with a mixture of embarrassment and pride.

Stacey went down to what was now officially her office and began to look for the files on the available ships stationed at the 'Boonies'. She had just found them on the system when Paul came in.

"Sergeant Baldwin told me I was assigned to you. She said you needed an assistant or whatever you decided. What did she mean?"

"I'm not sure, but I do need an assistant, someone who's better with the paperwork than me. How are you with files?"

"Not bad I suppose. I've been on the front desk since I arrived here, so I've got a reasonable idea about the system."

"Good." Stacey turned the computer over to him. "I need to know what types of ship and in what numbers we have here, and which ones are operational."

Paul tapped away and found what she wanted.

"There are four 'Sierra' class 4 scouts, and three class 4A's, all available. There is the repair ship which is a modified 'Uniform' transport, but that's out at Station Six still. Central are sending a 'Whiskey' model B to cover for 'Juliet' that's due to arrive in two days. Each of the seven outlying stations has a scout ship assigned to it. Three 'Sierra' class 3C's and two more class 4's. Station Two has a class 5 and Station Six will get something sent from the central pool when it's operational again."

"That's everything is it?" Stacey asked. Paul nodded in reply. "Well, I've flown Nobby's ship and a 'Whiskey B' and a 'Sierra 3C' so I'll need to get into a 'Sierra 4' and the 5 sometime soon." She stopped and thought. "Are the 4's and the 4A's the same?"

"I'll check." Paul punched up the schematics for the two classes of scout ships. "The only difference is in the weapon. The 4A's have a more powerful blaster."

Stacey sat back and hummed to herself.

"Still, it might be worth taking a 4A out as well." She sat up. "What are you current on?" She asked Paul.

"Well, I was taught on a 4 and I've flown a 5 as well. No time in a 3C or any of the transport types."

"Except 'Juliet'."

"Yes. But she's not exactly a transport is she."

"One of a kind. But the basics are pretty much the same in the larger ships. I want you up to speed on all the types too, that way I'll have no qualms about sending you out on trips without me." She smiled.

"That means that between us we need to fly every type on the hub."

"Looks like it. What's available tomorrow?"

"To you? Everything. You're in charge, remember?"

"I meant what isn't scheduled for a mission tomorrow, dummy."

"Oh. Okay, there are two scout patrols tomorrow, no specific ships assigned. The station scouts come in once a week; tomorrow it's Station One, a 3C."

"We'll start with a 4 and a 4A then. When the 3C comes in we'll borrow that too." She smiled at Paul. "We'll have a go at the others when they become available. Now let's go and have a drink to celebrate."

"Celebrate what?"

"Not getting run over by a meteorite?" Stacey grinned.

"Why not?" Paul smiled and stood up, holding his hand out to his new boss and hauling her upright.

Throughout the next week an investigation into the 'Meteorite Incident' got underway. A detective from central came over and went through everybody's statement until he had a picture of the events. At the same time a team of specialists went into the asteroid belt to see if they could find the two used as weapons. 'Big Blue 7' had been split in half and the smaller rock totally disintegrated, but they did find pieces of a space engine which had been used to propel it. They had better luck with the other meteorite. It had indeed hit another rock into Station Six and then it had halted, the engine on it having failed with the shock. It matched the other pieces they had found. Station Six had survived because it had been hit by the second rock, travelling at a slower speed. They reported their findings to the detective, who began to investigate the 'who' now that he had the 'how'.

Emmy and Big Dave came down to Stacey's office a day or so after the detective had returned to central. She stood up to greet them.

"Hello you two. What's up?"

"Why do you think something's up Stace?" Dave grinned as he plonked himself in the spare chair in the office corner.

"Because you're both here at the same time." She smiled back.

Emmy sat herself down at what was now Paul's desk, looking preoccupied.

"The thing is Stacey; we'd like your advice about the changes I told you about earlier."

"The 'I'm not at liberty to discuss these' changes? And why me? I'm the most junior sergeant here still."

"Yes, those changes." Emmy gave a little smile. "And we're asking you because you're our friend. We'd liked to have asked Nobby too, but he's still busy on Six."

"Okay then, I'll try and help. Fire away."

"Stacey, they're going to expand the 'Boonies' hub even more, up to sector size, which will mean more work for you as well as me." Emmy explained.

"I can manage a few more ships I suppose. And they've already asked you to be in charge?" Emmy nodded. "Then what's the problem?"

"I feel I'm losing touch with the 'Boonies', the people that is. I was wondering if I should turn them down and go back on patrol."

"That's just silly boss. What's stopping you doing an occasional patrol anyway? Apart from your strange desire to do all your own paperwork?"

Dave laughed.

"That's what I said."

"All you need is a competent admin assistant." Stacey said.

"Lieutenant's don't do that sort of thing."

"That's only because they want to stay behind their desk's love." Dave said. "You don't have to conform to them. You can be a new kind of Lieutenant."

"There's a promotion in it too? And you're asking me if you should take it? I would; like a shot. And like Dave says, it's a new position. You can do it how you like."

"I could I suppose." Emmy said thoughtfully.

"Now, what's Dave's problem?" Stacey turned to him.

"Hey! Who said I had a problem?"

"Why are you here then?" Stacey asked sweetly.

Dave went a little red.

"Well, I'm sort of worried about my new role in this set up."

"Which is? Come on, don't drag it out."

"They want me to become Senior Sergeant and oversee the 'Boonies' while Emmy looks after the rest of the sector." He said quietly.

"That a new rank? Just so you don't have to call me 'sergeant'?" Stacey grinned broadly. " In any case, isn't that what you do anyway? Apart from the paperwork."

"Don't get cheeky with me young Grainger." He wagged his finger in mock admonishment. Emmy grinned too; remembering how scared of Big Dave Stacey had been at first.

"Look 'Senior Sergeant', the same thing that applies to Emmy applies to you. It's a new position, a new role. You can make it what you want."

"I can, can't I?" He mused.

"What are the alternatives? Teach at the academy, or, if you don't want to leave the 'Boonies', resign and do something else? I can see neither of you doing either to be honest. And it wouldn't be the same here without you to keep an eye on us." They both laughed. "I mean it. I'd miss you keep popping in to check up on me."

"All right Stace, I'm convinced." Dave said. "What about you boss?" He turned to Emmy.

"Well, she makes some good points. I think I'm convinced too." She smiled at Stacey. "At least until Stacey can take over."

"ME! You're kidding!"

"No I'm not. You're very good at this. Look how quickly you've got your section working properly." Emmy said.

"It's only eight ships and pilots." Stacey said meekly. "Not an entire sector of space."

"We'll wait and see shall we."

"By the way 'Senior Pilot', how are you getting on with familiarising yourself with all your types." Dave asked.

"Paul and I have flown everything we've got here, except Paul hasn't got to fly in the repair ship yet."

"Find anything you like?"

"The 'Sierra 5' is quite nice to fly, but I still want 'Juliet' back."

"How is she coming along?" Emmy asked.

"Still some time away." Stacey sighed. "The 'Whiskey B' just isn't the same."

"I heard you gave her a name though?"

"Paul calls her the 'Boozy Bee'." She grinned a little.

"Chin up. 'Juliet' will be back." Big Dave smiled. "Thanks for the chat Stace; it's helped us a lot." He and Emmy both stood up.

"Yes, thank you." Emmy kissed her on the cheek. "We'll leave you to it." She turned and followed Dave out.

Despite the Baldwin's hesitation over accepting their new roles the expansion of the hub into a fully-fledged sector went smoothly, mainly due to their meticulous planning. Stacey would soon gain five extra pilots and craft for them to fly. The new ships would be four 'Sierra' 4A's and another 'Whiskey'' class transport, a 'C' this time. After only a couple of weeks everything was ready for the big day when the 'Boonies' hub was renamed the 'Boonies' sector. There was to be a formal ceremony to mark it.

The increase in traffic was easily handled but then some of the incoming ships began to report sighting unidentified craft operating in the asteroid belt in close proximity to the 'Boonies'. Stacey decided to act on those reports in light of the attack on Station Six a month earlier and set up a constant patrol overhead. Emmy and Big Dave concurred with her thinking and in consequence there was always a 'Sierra' class scout patrolling the immediate vicinity of the 'Boonies'.

For the day of the ceremony Stacey put an extra scout up on a hunch. With a regular patrol off in the belt, that left her with four scouts in case of trouble. Just before the start of the activities Traffic Control received reports from both scouts and passed them to Emmy and Stacey. Unidentified craft had been spotted approaching two fair-sized meteorites. Stacey instructed the patrols to try and apprehend or chase off the intruders and then ordered three of the scouts into the skies to help them, taking the fourth 'Sierra' herself even though she was supposed to be attending the inauguration. Pretty soon Big Dave and Emmy were calling her from Traffic Control.

Storm62
Storm62
354 Followers