Asteroid Patrol: Timid Hero

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Storm62
Storm62
354 Followers

"Stacey, what the hell is happening?" Emmy demanded.

"We're under attack, I'm sure of it. They're going to use meteorites again. I've got the two scout patrols trying to scare them off and launched the other four scouts to help them."

"And you're in one of them?" Dave asked.

"Yes. Sorry boss, can't let someone else do the dirty work."

"What can we do to help?" Emmy sighed.

"Cross your fingers?" Stacey suggested.

"Already doing that. Good luck. Out"

"Thanks." Stacey turned her attention to the disposition of her ships. "Sierra Foxtrot Zulu, Sierra Golf Bravo, assist Sierra Charlie Tango. Sierra Bravo X-ray, you and I will help Sierra Poppa Whiskey. We must stop them igniting those engines." They all acknowledged her, and sped to their assigned tasks.

It wasn't more than five minutes later that Stacey received another call.

"Sierra Tango Zulu, this is Charlie Tango. We have secured Runaway 1. Am standing by until someone arrives to take possession. Foxtrot Zulu and Golf Bravo are pursuing suspects."

"Good work Charlie Tango. Confer with Control over possession. Out." By now Stacey and Bravo X-ray were bearing down on the second meteorite, the furthest away of the two. To her dismay it had already started to move, the second crew obviously made of sterner stuff than the first. She thought fast. "Poppa Whiskey, Bravo X-ray, you go after the ship. I'll handle this." 'Though I have no idea how,' she thought. "Control, this is Tango Zulu. Runaway 2 is mobile, repeat, mobile. Am attempting to stop it. Out." With that she snapped off her radio, knowing it would be full of well-meaning but useless advice.

Stacey realised she had to stop the engine. That would keep the meteorite from accelerating and give her more time. With that decision she flicked her slim craft into a low swoop over the space rock and pulled into a hover near the engine. After a long burst of blaster fire it exploded. Stacey noted that the explosion altered the course of the meteorite slightly. That gave her another idea. Maybe she could use her ships engine to further deflect the trajectory of the rock, at least enough to miss the 'Boonies'. As it was the only thing that had occurred to her she began to look for a suitable spot to land near the front of the meteorite where the effect would be greater. She glimpsed a flattish surface that was facing the way she wanted and looked more than big enough to accommodate her scout ship. Stacey gingerly set Sierra Tango Zulu down on the rock. She locked everything down, pointed her manoeuvring jets to keep her on the meteorite and then unleashed the power of her engine. The little scout shook horribly, like it was threatening to tear itself apart, but Stacey persevered. She looked at her radar scope. It showed that she was altering the course of the meteorite relative to the 'Boonies', but not by enough.

Suddenly Stacey heard the sound of another more powerful ship setting down alongside her. She looked up and around and saw it was the 'Boozy Bee' landing. Switching her radio back on she called it up, assuming that they had landed on the wrong meteorite.

"Boozy Bee, you are in the wrong place. You should be on Runaway 1."

"Tango Zulu; No, we're not. Are we Officer Todd?"

"Certainly not, Senior Sergeant Baldwin. Runaway 2 needs stopping, so here we are."

"Will you two clowns buzz off? This is dangerous."

"Sorry Stace, you don't outrank me anymore. We can see what you're trying to do, but you need more power. We've brought it. Now shut up and let me concentrate." Big Dave said. Now he powered up the larger engines on the 'Boozy Bee'. She started to shake like Tango Zulu. Stacey again looked at her radar scope. Bit by bit they were pushing the path the rock was taking away from the asteroid occupied by the 'Boonies'. But it still wouldn't be enough. They needed one big push.

With a sudden realisation Stacey knew how to do it.

"Big Dave, I know what to do now. When I say 'go', get the hell out of here."

"What are you going to do Stace?" Dave asked.

"If I tell you, you won't let me do it. Just wait for me to tell you 'go'."

"I can guess what you're planning." Paul said.

"How?"

"I read the tech manuals at the same time as you Stacey. Don't do it, please."

"Get going, I'm overloading the engine and the weapons system, and I'm doing it..." She waited momentarily until the power peaked. "...NOW! GO!!!"

"Get over here now Sergeant Grainger. That is an order. We are not leaving until you are on this craft." Big Dave spoke gruffly, meaning it.

"There isn't time." Stacey replied.

"EJECT NOW! We'll catch you." Paul cried, after explaining something to Dave.

Stacey fired the last ditch rescue ejector. It blew the cockpit of the scout ship away from the fuselage. As she flew upwards she saw 'Boozy Bee' leave the meteorite seconds later, matching her trajectory. Stacey watched in amazement as Dave flicked the cargo ship over onto its side above her, the open cargo bay covering the path she was on. The cockpit of Tango Zulu clattered into the hold and the doors snapped shut behind it.

"Stay strapped in Stace, it's about to get rough." Paul called.

He was right. Tango Zulu exploded on the surface of the rock. The shockwave pushed the meteorite well away from the 'Boonies'. Then it hit the 'Boozy Bee' before carrying on to shake the whole area. The ship bucked and shook, but Dave retained control. 'Boozy Bee' levelled out.

"Sergeant Grainger, are you all right?" Dave asked.

"It's hard to tell, I'm sort of upside down."

"Toddy is on his way to get you out."

Another voice cut in.

"Whiskey Bravo Bravo, this is control; what the hell do you think you're doing up there? Land at once, before I have another heart attack." It was Emmy.

"Yes dear. Sorry." Dave replied sardonically.

"The Lieutenant sounds annoyed." Paul said nervously.

"She'll get over it." Big Dave said simply. "She's just upset I grabbed you as co-pilot instead of her. Now go and see how Stacey is. She sounds stuck." Paul made his way to the cargo hold. After making sure it was airtight he went in.

Stacey was definitely stuck. The ejected cockpit section had come to rest on its side, leaning towards the back wall of the cargo hold of 'Boozy Bee' in such a way that the canopy wouldn't open. She was dangling from her harness nearly upside down and couldn't unclip herself. After a couple of minutes of trying she had given up and just hung there, waiting for the assistance she knew was coming. Suddenly she could see Toddy through the scratched windshield. He gave her a little wave and a tight smile and then stood scratching his head as he tried to work out a way to free her.

Officer Todd took in the situation. Stacey's canopy couldn't be opened in the position the cockpit had ended up in. He knew he'd never be able to smash his way in; the canopy material was too tough. Maybe he could find a way to right the broken cockpit section? He scanned the cargo bay for something to assist him. The manual hoist secured near the airlock caught his eye. If he could find a way to attach that...

He went to work, unhitching the hoist and manoeuvring it closer to Stacey. He secured the lifting chain to one of the locking bolts which had secured the cockpit to the rest of the scout ship, and then he hammered in some cargo locking pins into the floor, holding the side of the cockpit was resting on in place. In theory he should be able to pivot Stacey far enough up so that she could get the canopy open. He went to the hoist controls and began to wind in the slack. As the chain tightened the cockpit came away from the hold wall. The hoist was starting to burn out with the effort as the cockpit reached ninety degrees to the floor. Suddenly, the locking bolt he'd attached the chain to sheared off. The cockpit teetered momentarily and then slammed onto the cargo hold floor the right way up.

Paul rushed across to find Stacey already unstrapping her harness and cranking the canopy open at the same time.

"That wasn't the best landing I've ever made." She grinned as he helped her out.

"I've had worse." He grinned back. "Come on, we need to get to the flight deck. We'll be docking soon."

They scampered into the cockpit just as Big Dave received docking clearance.

"What was that big bang?" He asked.

"I had to get her the right way up." Paul explained.

"In that case, you need to lose some weight Stace; I felt that up here."

She gave him a friendly slap across the back of the helmet and then glanced out of the flight deck window.

"There are an awful lot of people on the dock again." She said dubiously. "You don't think they're going to cheer me again do you?"

"Very probably, Miss Timid-But-Heroic." Paul said with a smirk as Big Dave gently docked 'Boozy Bee'. "Now it's time for you to meet your admirers. Again."

"Oh No! You two are coming with me. If I'm a hero, so are you."

The Scout ships were applauded too as they returned. Charlie Tango came in after Nobby and his crew had arrived to collect the meteorite engine, and was warmly cheered. Both of the pursuing pairs arrived towing a captured ship and received hearty congratulations. Dave, Stacey, and Paul didn't see them bringing in their prisoners though; they were in Lieutenant Baldwin's office. Paul felt seriously outranked. In addition to the lieutenant and the two sergeants, the Captain and the Commissioner were there as well as Arnie, the erstwhile Mayor of the 'Boonies'.

Emmy hugged Dave and then Stacey. And then with a shrug that said' why not?' she hugged a surprised Paul.

"I feel I should be berating you, but that would be churlish." Emmy said.

The other three dignitaries came forward and shook each of the three non-plussed officers by the hand. The Captain was especially pleased with Big Dave.

"We are recommending all three of you for awards." He said.

"We just did what we had to sir." Dave replied.

"What about my scout ship pilots sir?" Stacey asked. "They were magnificent."

"Indeed they were Sergeant Grainger. Have no fear; they will get their rewards as well. Because of them we should be able to track down whoever is behind this attack now. But you three, particularly you Grainger, saved the 'Boonies' from certain destruction and we want to show our appreciation."

All the medal recipients were sat in a line in front of the audience at the award ceremony a week or so later. Every one of them looked anxious except perhaps Big Dave; he just seemed amused and more than a little proud of his protégés. If anything Paul and Stacey looked the most nervous, edging towards terrified, their natural timidity reasserting itself.

One by one the Scout Ship pilots stepped up and received their awards, and all the time Stacey got more and more apprehensive. She felt her new Sergeants Dress Uniform was itching and she couldn't sit still.

"How much longer?" She whispered to Dave sat beside her.

"Why ask me? I've never been to an awards ceremony before." He whispered back.

Stacey looked at him in surprise.

"You haven't?"

Emmy looked around and gave them a look that said 'BE QUIET'. Stacey lapsed into silence. Paul stood to accept his medal, and then Big Dave. That left only Stacey.

The Commissioner, awarding the honours, cleared his throat.

"And now for the final award to Senior Pilot Sergeant Stacey Grainger, whose recent service has been beyond exemplary. From her cool piloting of the patrol ship Juliet Hotel Uniform, or 'Juliet' as she is known, away from an exploding asteroid, to her decisive actions that resulted in the stabilisation of Station Six, and finally to her bravery and willingness to sacrifice herself to divert the recent attack here on the 'Boonies'. Therefore it gives me great pleasure to announce the award of the Armstrong Cross for conspicuous gallantry and meritorious service to Sergeant Grainger."

Stacey's jaw dropped open while everyone else cheered and applauded. The Armstrong Cross was the ultimate space service honour and the two additional clasps made it practically unique. The audience was standing, clapping, waiting for her to step forward and receive her medal. But her legs had turned to jelly. Big Dave reached down and hauled her to her feet and then gently nudged her in the right direction. Still in a daze, Stacey stumbled up to the dais and allowed the Commissioner to pin the simple cross to her tunic. He pointed at the microphone. They wanted her to make a speech as well? Stacey found Emmy standing beside her, whispering encouragement. The cheering died away as Stacey fiddled with the mike.

"I....I....I truly don't know w....what to say. Obviously I wasn't expecting this." She fingered the shiny new medal. "I didn't set out to be brave or heroic; I was just there and did what had to be done. I'm sure any of you would have done the same." She stopped, unsure about how to carry on. "I wasn't thinking about being a hero, I was thinking of you, my friends, and the people of the 'Boonies', who it's my job to protect, and how to save them." She tailed off again, running out of words. "Anyway, thank you all."

Stacey went bright red as renewed applause thundered in her ears. She sat back down and Emmy took her place at the mike.

"Thank you Stacey. That was quite eloquently put." She said to the deeply blushing sergeant. Then she turned to the rest of the audience. "Sergeant Grainger, Stace to some of us, sets us all an excellent example. We should all endeavour to be like her. I don't mean blow up our ship to save others...." There was a ripple of laughter. "....I mean we should all be as caring and conscientious. It's something we all forget from time to time. So our thanks for reminding us of one of the tenets of our service Sergeant." She turned to face her friend and gave her a big smile. "On a personal note, I'd like to say 'good work Stace'." Stacey gave a beaming smile in return. "Now, let's get to the party at McLeary's." Everyone started to stand. "Just remember if you're on duty later, I'll be checking on sobriety!"

Stacey slipped away from the party after half an hour or so. Despite being awarded a medal for gallantry she still couldn't see herself as a hero. She had been terribly frightened through out the entire episode; not for herself, but for her friends and colleagues and the innocent denizens of the 'Boonies'. So she made a quiet exit and went to her office overlooking the dock. She leant on the rail outside, looking down at 'Juliet' and the goings-on around the ships coming in and going out. There was nothing happening around her ship, but because she had been so busy for the past few days she had no idea whether or not the ship was fully repaired yet. It looked as if she was. A voice hailed her from below.

"Hey sarge, what're you doing up there?"

Stacey looked down. It was Paul.

"Avoiding attention. What about you?" She replied.

"I'm looking for you." He grinned. "And avoiding attention. You look incredibly pretty in your dress uniform you know?"

"I thought you looked at peoples eyes?" She laughed. "And you don't look to shabby either. That medal suits you."

"Couldn't let you grab all the headlines could I?" He laughed back. "Come on down here, I've got something to show you."

"Bring it up here then."

"I can't, sorry. You'll have to come down. It's worth it, I promise."

Sighing heavily, Stacey made her way down to Paul. He smiled.

"Okay, what?" She said.

"Close your eyes." He smirked.

"Paul! Stop mucking about."

"Come on Stace, humour me."

Grudgingly Stacey did as he asked. She let him lead her a short distance and stopped impatiently when he told her to.

"This better be good." She grumbled.

"Open your eyes and tell me." He said.

She did so and saw the newly painted artwork next to the airlock of 'Juliet'. It was a picture of a semi-clad girl riding a meteorite which trailed the words 'Just Juliet'.

"It's lovely." Stacey said, leaning forward to get a closer look at the picture. "Hey! Is that supposed to be me?"

"Maybe." Paul smirked again.

"I'm not that curvy."

"I couldn't possibly comment on the state of your curves without closer inspection."

Stacey blushed and then asked.

"When did they do that?"

"Last night, after they'd finished her."

"She's ready to fly?" She looked at him in surprise.

"Returned to operations pending a shakedown flight it says on your computer."

"Right! Find our helmets and we'll take her out." Stacey's eyes were shining.

"Already on board." Paul smiled.

"You thought of everything, thank you." In her excitement she kissed him on the side of the face and then entered 'Juliet'.

"Well, maybe not everything." He murmured in surprise, holding his hand to his cheek and then following her into the cockpit.

"Control, this is Juliet Hotel Uniform requesting clearance for a shakedown mission." Stacey gleefully called on the radio.

"This is control, clearance granted Juliet Hotel Uniform. It's good to have you back."

"Thank you control, it's good to be back. Juliet Hotel Uniform out."

Another voice broke in.

"Juliet Hotel Uniform, this is Lieutenant Baldwin. Where do you think you're going off to?"

"Hi Emmy! Sorry, but this can't wait."

"I suppose it can't." The Lieutenant sighed. "All right, you are authorised to take a couple of days to test her out, but no sneaking off and getting married without telling me and Dave. Got that Officer Todd?"

"Still working on that Lieutenant." Paul grinned at Stacey who was looking slightly shocked. "Juliet Hotel Uniform Out."

"Baldwin out."

Stacey looked thoughtful throughout the departure, finally speaking again when they left the hub behind.

"Did you mean that Paul? The marriage thing I mean." She asked.

"Of course I did. I am still working on it."

"But I thought you weren't interested in me."

"Stacey Grainger, I've been in love with you since we first met outside that airlock. What's the matter? Don't you like me?"

"Actually I do, a lot as it happens. I just didn't think you'd be interested in a timid girl like me."

"What's not to like? And who are you calling timid? Timid girls don't get gallantry medals." He gave his broadest ever grin.

"Paul, you don't think that's what Emmy meant by 'whatever I decide' do you?"

"Probably, she's a lot more observant than we are obviously. Do you think we can make it work?"

"We've a couple of days to find out!" Stacey grinned.

Storm62
Storm62
354 Followers