Astrid: A Viking Story Ch. 01

Story Info
A young woman's life changes in an instant.
2.9k words
3.72
24.6k
16

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 12/22/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There are many fabled stories of love and life, compassion, positive moral judgment, and how good prevails. This is not one of them.

A young woman of just 18, Astrid grew up in a small farm village in Scandinavian present day Norway. Her long dirty blonde hair shined with the sunlight, and her green eyes mirrored the fields of her homeland. She had the love of her parents Nel and Esther, and her younger brother Sven. Their farm was bountiful and on the richest land in the Jarldom. Their crops were plentiful, and the hunting on the land was also. Astrid's family always met their quarterly quota for the Jarl, and remained in good standing with his militia.

Astrid's family Jarl, Gudrun, was an old man who has been through and seen it all. He grew up being teased for having a girl's name that his father gave him after Gudrun's mother died during childbirth which toughened him for adulthood. From multiple wars between clans, to raising a family of his own, he was quite possibly held as the most knowledgeable of any Viking Jarl in the land. Unfortunately, as he grew older, he grew weaker putting a target on his back. Knowledge can only do so much against brute force, and he knew his time was coming to an end. He hadn't heard from the surrounding Jarls in a couple of cycles, and his intuition told him what was to come. That end came sooner than he had thought.

Gunnar was a Jarl who grew up taking everything he needed. As he became stronger he took anything he ever wanted. He ruled his Jarldom with an iron fist, literally, his weapon of choice were the two spiked iron gauntlets he wore on his massive hands. Massive hands attached to a massive body. His hair was dirty and black, with a braided mustache that hung as low as the beard that dropped to the barrel that was his belly. His mere presence struck fear in the hearts of his people who did his bidding because Gunner and his men would kill any who disrespect them. Gunner and his clan had slowly and effectively seized control of most Scandinavia. Gunnar had absorbed all the Jarldoms, except one Gudrun's clan, and Gunnar knew Gudrun's people were loyal to him. Taking it by fear or intimidation wasn't going to work this time which is why Gunnar took the neighboring Jarls quickly and quietly to add to his force before going after Gudrun. He looked down on Gudrun's plentiful land, a smile creeping across his face. Once he took this area, he was going to be a king.

Astrid sat at the table eating a lamb stew that her mom had just made. Sven played nearby acting like a normal 10 year old, while their mother and father tended the crop, and livestock.

A Horn sounded.

Astrid thought that the scouts may have returned, but that didn't make sense because they just left a week ago on the long ships, and shouldn't be back for a couple of weeks.

Horn again...

What could possibly be going on? She thought to herself. Just then the screaming started. She peaked through the window and saw hundreds of men armed for war, on foot cutting across the field. Astrid knew that their intentions were not good. The horn was a warning to prepare. How could she have forgotten that two horn blasts meant - Her heart skipped a beat, and fear overwhelmed her. They were under attack.

Astrid's mind went blank as her heart beat fast; she was scared and couldn't concentrate. She didn't know what to do. Just then she heard a voice that signified love and terror at the same time.

"Astrid, what is happening, I'm scared," It was Sven.

I have to get him out of here. Astrid thought to herself as she scooped him up and ran to the stable.

She didn't have time to saddle Magnus, the fastest horse she has ever seen. Magnus was a gift to her family from Gudrun for being the most plentiful of farms in his area. Horses were few and far between so having any horse was a blessing from the gods, but Magnus was elite. Magnus knew that something was amiss, and Astrid saw it in his eyes. She calmed Magnus with a hand on his massive jaw and a soothing look. The screaming was getting closer.

"Leif," she said to Magnus looking him in the eye knowing the horse comprehended, and threw Sven on top. "Sven, Look at me!" She pleaded.

Sven looked down on her, tears overwhelming his eyes and opened his mouth to say something.

"We Don't Have Time Sven. You Need To Go NOW!!" Astrid yelled at him, knowing that he was confused and scared. "I Love you VERY MUCH, now lie down and prop your feet up."

Sven smiled a terrified smirk knowing that his sister loved him and would never stare him in the wrong direction. She wasn't crying and he didn't think he needed to either which calmed him. He did as she had asked as she kissed him on the forehead and covered him with a saddle blanket. She slapped Magnus on his rear and the horse bolted through the closed stable doors as if the strong wood doors were nothing but a piece of parchment. Now she could start to cry, and she did as she grabbed a worn and beaten sword and headed to the fields.

Gunnar looked down on his men as they flooded the village. The men that he acquired from the conquered Jarldoms should make quick work of Gudrun's faithful people. He spotted a mighty and fast horse sprint across a far field and thought that the beast would make a great steed for himself. He believed that the horse may be on its way to call for reinforcements, but that couldn't be the case. There was no rider, just a saddle blanket. Gunnar chuckled knowing that the horse as fast it was, probably got spooked and took off before being saddled, and a horse with such a fear could never be a beast for himself. The Jarl checked his gear and headed down to join his men.

Astrid went to find her parents. The attackers covered the farmland, and she heard the screams of her neighbors as they reached their end. Quickly and without warning her mouth was covered and she was pulled into a den. The terror subsided to relief in a split moment.

"Dad," Astrid said relieved, "I thought you were," She couldn't speak. "I thought you we--."

Nel grabbed her in his arm held her tight and kissed her. Astrid could hear his heart beating. Nel reached out for his wife. Esther came into his arms as he held the most important women in his life. Astrid new her mom was terrified.

"S...Sv...Sv..en," Esther said expecting the worst.

Astrid replied, "Leif."

Her mother burrowed into Nel's chest soaking his torso in tears. Astrid had thought she had done wrong until she received the reassurance she needed from her father as he nodded in acceptance.

"He will be ok Esther," Nel cried.

Her father could no longer hold in his anguish. They huddled there together holding each other with hope and faith as the terrified screams of their brethren slowed to a muffle, and finally to silence.

It had been quiet for what seemed an eternity. Not a word was spoken as they stayed in the warmth of their huddle. Astrid's body finally calmed down when the den opening burst into the light of day.

"HAHA, stragglers, my favorite," said a man.

Astrid didn't recognize him as she felt her father break from the group and grab the worn sword Astrid had taken from the stable.

"Please sir," Nel pleaded. "Please just leave my family alone."

In an instant an iron gauntlet grabbed the broken sword and pulled Nel, still holding the hilt, closer. The other hand with a reflecting glove of its twin grabbed Nel by the throat. The man disarmed her father and put both hands around the same neck that she held on to as a child.

"Look at them," The man said squeezing Nel. "Look into the eyes of your beloved family as your world goes dark."

Nel kicked and flailed like a wildling until he realized as his life was slowly leaving him. There was no escaping this man's iron grip. He accepted his fate, and looked to his wife and daughter. A lonely tear rolled down his cheek as he knew he had failed them. What will this man do to them? He saw his wife running towards him before he heard the loud crack of his neck and the world went dark.

Astrid's mother ran without thought as the man that just killed her husband threw the love of her life to the ground. She closed on him quickly, and before she knew it he countered her rush and turned her to face her daughter as he stood behind her with his arm around her neck.

Astrid stood frozen, but shaking. She caught the look of her mom and lost her mother's gaze as the women that raised her used her last moment to stare at the man she loved.

"There is a fire in this one," The man said as he licked the side of her mom's face from chin to forehead. He stared at Astrid and his eyes widened excited to see the young woman's reaction.

Her mother didn't even blink. She was already gone when her farm soiled shirt became stained with the crimson shade of her blood. The man's blade went through her heart and out her chest, but her heart lay on the ground beside her. She went to join him.

The man stared at Astrid with a predators face. She watched as he threw her mother like a doll next to her father. The way that her parents fell seemed as though they were reaching for each other but not close enough.

"Come here Girl," the man said.

She stared blankly with fear, and hate at the man who so carelessly disposed of the creators of her loving childhood.

"I will cut pieces off of your parents until you get your little ass over here," He said leaning over and pulled his blood soaked dagger out of Esther's back.

Astrid timidly and terrified shuffled over to the man. She stared at the ground at his feet, not tempting her fate by looking him in the eye as he leaned into her and smelled her blonde hair. Her body trembled when she felt his body upon her back. She could hear his every congested breath as he continued, locked in her hair taking in her essence. Cold blood stained gauntlets grabbed her arms, while tracing her biceps.

Fear turned to anger, and she felt rage for the first time in her life. This man just killed her parents in cold blood, and she knew, if had to die, she was going to leave a mark. She leaned forward with her head down and threw her petite body and face back as hard as she could busting open the man's lip with the back of her skull.

"You little bitch!" The man said as he wiped his blood soaked face with his sleeve, "You got the spunk of your mother, but your much more pretty," He said as he spun Astrid around to face him.

Astrid looked him in the eye. Her green eyes blazed with hatred, and the man smiled as he reached back and back handed her across the face with his iron hand. The world flashed white in an instant, her face was numb and soaked with blood running from two long gashes in her face. Gashes that traced the right side of her head from eyebrow to chin. The world came back into view as she lay upon the ground in between the bodies of beloved parents.

"Isn't this sweet," the man said undoing his belt buckle, "I'm so happy I could bring the family back together."

He climbed on top of her bottomless forcing her legs open with little force. Although she tried, she couldn't out strength the man as the mass of his body pinned her to the ground. The blood from his lip added to hers as it ran down her cheek and pooled behind her neck. She felt cold iron go from her ankles to hips as her undergarments were torn away with ease. He was warm upon her as tears began to well in her eyes.

"Please.....no," she whimpered, "Pllleeeease!" She begged.

"Beg, cry, fight, and plead all you want bitch, It makes it more the better for me," he said reaching down and forcing himself in her.

She felt her body worthlessly fight off his insertion as he entered her. She felt her innocence tear as he thrust heavily, breathing deep wheezing breathes. She didn't want to look upon the man who was taking her. This was supposed to be saved for love. This was sacred. She never thought she would be taken like in such a vulgar manner.

She didn't want to look at him so she turned her head to the left, and saw the dead eyes of her father. Tears flowed heavily as she fought from screaming not wanting to give the man the satisfaction. She turned to the right, and the gaze of her mother met her. She knew if she looked straight he would be there. His face with a wicked out of breath grin as he pushed against her.

This, without question, was the lowest she had ever felt. All the love, hope, and faith began to seep from her body. All she had ever loved, the life that looked so promising had been taken in a brief horrifying moment. The only pleasure she knew now was linked to the pain which ceased when her virgin blood coated his penis and made each of his thrusts more tolerable.

The family she loved slipped from her memory. The childhood she cherished became forgotten. Every light within her faded to black, as her pure fields, hopes and dreams for happiness became scorched earth. There was no emotion anymore, but a blank torn canvas as she ceased to give a shit about the all's of everything.

He finished with a grunt and stood over her reaching for his pants, "You're mine now. I'm not going to give you the satisfaction of death. You belong to Gunnar," he said pointing to himself.

She sat up looking at him without blinking. Just a blank stare as she nodded her acceptance of him. Just then, one of Gunnar's men ran into the den.

"My king, we have Jarl Gudrun in the main hall," the man said.

Gunnar broke eye contact with Astrid, "Good, I'll be right there. Make sure this girl, what is your name woman?"

"Astrid," she said blankly.

"Astrid, make sure Astrid comes to watch. She is mine and mine alone, if you tamper with her, I will end you," Gunnar said as he made his way out to the hall.

"Understood sir," the man said.

The main hall was tattered and beaten with the assault. Many of Gudrun's men lay dead or dying as Gunnar's people made short work of them. With the fall of Gudrun, even the scouts that were dispatched now belonged to Gunner. Astrid was no threat as she walked with the guard into the main hall without shackles or restraints. She was lost. Gudrun looked upon her from his tied up wrists with a stare of depression knowing he had failed her and the village. She tilted her head to the side in a query just gazing back at him emotionless.

"Jarl Gudrun," Gunnar said as he sat at Gudrun's chair.

"Gunnar," Gudrun said, nodding his defeat.

"Well after I dispatch you to Valhalla, I will be King Gunnar won't I?"

"We'll see how long that lasts Gunnar," Gudrun said, purposely leaving out the king title.

"KING GUNNAR and you won't be seeing anything," Gunnar warned as he polished of the blood from his gauntlets.

"Long enough, I'm just buying time," Gudrun smiled.

"Time for wha-?"

Gudrun burst from his restraint and imbedded Astrid's guard with his own dagger Gudrun had just taken from the guard's sheath. Gudrun stood in front of Astrid protecting her and gave her the dagger while he grabbed a spear from the now dead guard. She just stared as if nothing was going on around her.

"Gudrun, that girl belongs to me. How far do think you can go before I find you?" Gunnar scorned.

"All that matters Gunnar is that life goes on with or without you. We only have so much given time on this earth as we are here for but a brief moment in our cycle. Valhalla can wait for me because I don't plan on going anywhe—"

Gudrun's speech was cut short by a blade protruding from his throat. His eye rolled to the back of his head as he reached for the obstruction in his neck and fell to his knees, and then to his floor bleeding out in lessening squirts.

Gudrun's collapse gave birth to a woman with blood soaked clothes, and fists clenched at her sides. Her head was down, but green eyes were forward and fierce as she looked at Gunnar. An evil grin broke across her face that took the breath away from all the men in the chamber.

Astrid looked upon them with no fear and a distorted sense of accomplishment. She enjoyed every second of this new found darkness within her, walked confidently and seductively to Gunnar looking him in the eyes.

"I am yours. I belong to Gunnar," She said pointing her finger in Gunnar's chest.