At Any Cost Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AMY_Monaco
AMY_Monaco
1,445 Followers

But Derek's eyes lifted to his young wife, who was reading one of her own letters, probably another invitation and he could see the way the light danced in her eyes at the prospect of dancing. But the light was fleeting and he was sorry to see her eyes darken, as if she was suppressing her own happiness. She would want parties and friends constantly calling on them.

A pang of guilt hit him. He didn't want her unhappy. In fact, he wanted her to have everything he could give her. He wanted her smiling and dressed in the prettiest gowns money could buy. He wanted her draped in diamonds and sapphires and whatever jewels she wished. Women usually wanted a man's heart, and that was something he couldn't give. But anything he could buy...he'd buy her a whole country if it would make her happy.

He cleared his throat. "The wife of an associate of mine will be calling on you very soon, Vivian."

"An associate from the runner's office?" He paused. "I don't remember mentioning I was employed there."

"You told me last night...you were a bit foxed." His eyes narrowed. "What else did I say?"

She only shook her head and he felt relieved that he hadn't revealed too much of himself. He somehow didn't want her to know the darker side of him. To his mind, it would sully her.

He cleared his throat again, shifting uneasily in his seat. "I don't work there any more. None the less, Lerner's wife, Mary will be calling to show you about."

She smiled. "I look forward to it. That's very nice of her." Then, cautiously, she said, "I was wondering...I wanted to get some things for Annie's baby...for when it comes..."

"Dean will drive you."

Vivian looked down at her plate. "I wanted to know what my allowance was."

Derek looked at her. "I'm not a stingy husband. Open accounts in any shop you like, have them send the bills to me. And take Pete or Ham with you."

"I won't have that many packages. I can manage on my own."

"I don't want you going out alone, Vivian." He said soberly. "Even when I take you to my family seat in the country, I don't want you leaving the house alone. If you go out riding, take either Pete or Ham with you."

"But...why?" She was thoroughly confused. Had this anything to do with his being a criminal? She wanted to ask yet something stopped her. Somehow, she knew it would only make him angry.

"I don't want your cousin or Garner bothering you. And what would happen if you'd gone riding and had an accident?"

Both were valid reasons and so she agreed to take a footman with her. But a little warning sounded in the back of her mind and her suspicion was drawn up again. Housing ex-criminals, admitting he was the worst sort...taking footman out as guards.

***

Annie Hamill followed the imposing Mrs. Barts up to the servants' quarters. Pete followed behind carrying Annie's only bag, a small one stuffed of a few personal items. She had worked in a brothel for three years since she was fifteen. With her parents gone and no money or skill, it had been her only option of survival. She'd been so careful to make sure any of her clients' seed would not take root. But there'd been one particularly rough and abusive client, a man richer than he was cruel. He had to be the father of her child.

But she tried not to dwell on it, as she was five or six months gone with child. She needed to think of the future. Finding an honest job seemed to be the only way for her to keep her child.

"Lord Trentham likes this household run smoothly, so I can assume only that Lady Trentham will be the same. Uniforms will be provided and here's where you will be sleeping." Mrs. Barts said.

The room was small, with a wide bed, dresser, chair and washstand.

"If you want something moved around, Pete here will do it." Mrs. Barts then gave Annie a sever expression. "I won't tolerate any goings on with the men."

Annie blushed and lowered her eyes, feeling Pete's gaze on her. What everyone must think of her.

"Lady Trentham saw potential, do not disappoint her or me. If I catch you getting familiar with one of the men, I'll have you out on the street." With that, Mrs. Barts turned and left the room.

Pete was still staring at her. Embarrassed, Annie offered a smile.

"Do you want anything moved, miss?" Pete asked. Having grown up in a family of ten siblings, he'd taken to stealing to survive. He was good at it, too though he no longer practiced it. He was a simple man and it didn't take long for him to realize that the moment he saw Annie, she was the one for him.

She looked right beautiful standing there in a gown of bold blue, her skin glowing, her golden blonde hair swept up. She had the prettiest blue eyes and she looked delicate and absolutely wonderful with her hands resting on her growing belly.

"If you could move the washstand over to the window..."

He did it without hesitation. When the task was finished, he raked a hand through his dirty brown hair, feeling a like giant in that tiny room next to her.

"That's really it," she smiled again. "Thank you."

He nodded, but turned around to face her once he reached the door. "I'm right handy, miss, so if there's anything you need, I can help."

"Thank you, Pete."

He nodded, wanting to linger in her presence a little longer. "They just got married, you know, Lord and Lady Trentham. Just yesterday. Lord Trentham's a good man, treats us servants fairly. And Lady Trentham is kind. You'll like it here."

He ducked out of the room, heart beating fast.

AMY_Monaco
AMY_Monaco
1,445 Followers
12