Availability

Story Info
Short story about today.
772 words
2.68
9.9k
1
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/24/2022
Created 08/09/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jenyes
jenyes
120 Followers

The day so far was uneventful. Like many of my days of late. I had a date and only the approaching hour served as motivation to dress before she arrived. Even that didn't take long, a quick change of tops and footwear, a splash of perfume, and I was ready.

Oh the perfume... how my hand paused as I reached across my dresser. One bottle calls me, but I pass by it. No, I avoid it. Not because I don't like it, its my favorite, but it was intended for someone else; it may go to waste, but no matter. I can rarely bring myself to touch it, even when I dust and rearrange my room.

Looking at the clock, I still have time to kill, so I log onto my email. Its full and empty at the same time. Notes from bill payment services, reminders of bills to come, wishful shopping advertisements with just a few messages I bother to open. Sighing, thinking this might be a waste too, being the third time today I looked at it.

At the sound of the doorbell, I close the lid to my laptop, glance around the room to see everything picked up, before going to the mirror to check my makeup. Seemingly just right, I find myself rushing to the door wondering if you are early or if I hadn't noticed the time go by.

Funny how you can go from having all the time in the world to letting it all slip away.

For some reason, I don't open the door; instead something makes me use the spyglass. At first I thought it was to sneak a look but perhaps it was some second-sense, a foreboding, drawing my eye to the peephole rather than greet my expected visitor with a smile and hello.

Frozen now, blinking. Sucking in a large lungful of air. I shake my head, close my eyes, rub them. Then trembling, I look again.

My brain shouts, two years – almost to the day! Then I think and correct myself, two years to the day. The day we last spoke. A day I was so happy, complete.

But the new day wasn't as bright. And a week later, some doubt returned.

Shaking my head again, I press my eye and stare. Could it just be my imagination? A trick of the light, or the mind, an anniversary reminder of what was...

I move away from the door, mind working. What shall I say? What will YOU say?

Knees weak, I sit on a chair. My eyes on the door, jumping when the doorbell rings again.

Where would I start? Some things must never be said, or told. I swallowed them long ago.

I think now of what has changed with me. Wondering if I've really changed at all, and have you.

Will you like my current girlfriend? I thought it was her I was rushing to meet. I'm sure you'd like her. She's pretty and sweet and kind, funny. We met through a common friend; you know her, they work together. They were lovers but it didn't last, their needs were not the same.

Blushing now, knowing that you will ask and I will shake my head no. She's not like that, not like you. For a long time I thought I wanted someone like you, but found I didn't. Or not for long. Passing fancies that paled almost as soon as it began. Sometimes losing interest in the middle of a conversation, or during an embrace; at the very least, the following day.

Only you could make me feel THAT way. The others could only disappoint, and I can't give of myself when I end up regretting or despising that they couldn't reach me like you. So I went in another direction, and returning in another.

There were men too. Still are. And other women.

But mostly, I worked at living. And the days passed.

Like this day was trudging along the minutes, until that bell rang.

Some days, I didn't think of you. But you were never far from my thoughts. Little things would bring a rush of memory, or I would find myself thinking in terms of what you might say or do in a situation. And I checked my email, always checking my email.

And now you are here.

Standing, I step to the door. You didn't ring the bell again, and I'm not sure how long I sat thinking. This time I don't bend to spy, my hand finds the knob, and I open it.

As you knew I would. I knew it too.

jenyes
jenyes
120 Followers