Avenging Angels Ch. 02

Story Info
An unlikely group of heroes come together to save us all.
1.5k words
4.52
20.6k
2

Part 2 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/07/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vjax
Vjax
946 Followers

The Vatican had not seen this much activity since the Templar's had been purged in that unfortunate incident several centuries ago involving a relic they never should have found.

Today though, the activity was of a much different kind. The papal envoys had been dispatched to notify the nine immediately after the meeting with the Pope and Cardinals. Once the astronomers had confirmed that the tricondris was present at the coordinates things began moving very quickly. It started before dawn; the trucks rolled into the Viale Vaticano entrance at the Vatican museum and began loading almost immediately. By the time the sun had begun to illuminate the red granite of the obelisk in St. Peter's Square a convoy of 30 trucks and two bus loads of nun's, priests and scholars was headed out of Rome towards the airport, their destination the Citadel of St. Michael.

Chosen in the 5th century, the Citadel site was seen as a perfect sanctuary for the Called Ones.

It boasted a commanding view of the three surrounding valleys with a large easily defensible northern plane that lead straight to the sea 2 miles away. In the beginning the only way up was via a primitive elevator system which, considering the location and logistics of moving building materials at the time, meant that initial construction would take over 100 years.

The Holy See understood that it would be millennia or more before the location would be needed, however, laying the foundations now would also provide a safe haven for the relics in the event that something threatened the Vatican archives.

The citadel became a monastery, with an order not written about in any Vatican journals, not mentioned in any papal writs, not whispered about by anyone. It was, in effect the Area 51 of the ancient world. Any relics, talismans, magical tomes, etc...that were...'secured' by the Collectors of St. Michael or received as tributes from the various crusades, holy wars and purifications found their way into the dry stone vaults of the Citadel.

The monks had two charges, keep a chronicle of the items stored in the Citadel, and be willing to give their lives to protect them.

Over the next 15 centuries the citadel was modified many times and the collection grew vast in size and scope. Every 100 years the entire site was retrofitted with the most technologically advanced features the times had to offer. The last full retrofit was completed in the year 2000. Upgrades included: Cray super computer, Satellite uplink facilities for ultra-broadband connectivity, hypersonic anti-personnel fencing and the extension of the existing runway facilities to over 1 mile providing the ability to accommodate the largest heavy lift aircraft. Today, access was only by air, the ancient ladders and elevators had been removed as soon as viable airplanes and helicopters had become available.

The Citadel was a fortress, built to provide the support the Called Ones would require to give them the best chance of surviving the great battle and the shift to follow.

Only the pope and the head of the Grand Council of Cardinals new what was to come, down through the centuries these two individuals had stewarded a faith shared by billions of the devoted around the globe, often times at the expense of ones who, when the time came, would be the keys to completing the great task.

Cardinal Aldous was riding in the Mercedes limousine to RIA, beginning to understand that all he had worked for, everything that he had tried to prepare for was upon him, and that the future hung on shoulders of nine young individuals.

The lists of the chosen was updated every day, it took the efforts of over 100 scholars to keep the lists current, as with all such lists of the best and brightest in any field there was always someone new showing up with new ideas, a deeper understanding or powerful inherent gifts to keep the top tier of the 'best' constantly fluid.

At least that was true until 6 months ago.

The number one spot had stabilized on each of the six lists for one week, the longest period ever recorded. As the weeks passed and the 6 lists remained constant everyone acknowledged that something had changed, either the time was close or the lists had been tampered with.

For six weeks Aldous met with monks from the citadel, giving them access to all of the sources used to compile the lists, in the end the monks agreed with the scholars, the lists had become static, these were the nine.

"How would I take it being told that everything I knew about the world was a lie, and that it was up to me to become...more than I had ever thought possible" Aldous thought as he walked across the tarmac to the waiting C-130.

The interior of the plane was crowded, filled to capacity with wheeled shipping containers; the planes carried the relics that were currently undergoing study at the Vatican labs. There was an air of excitement flowing through the passengers on the plane. The nuns and priests sat together, talking in low whispers or thumbing their rosaries as they contemplated the coming journey.

The scholars were animated, openly discussing the projects they had been working on and their areas of expertise. The energy seemed enough to lift the plane into the air, as Aldous sat and watched the rear entry door slowly lift, a smile crossed his lips, today was in fact a good day.

In the air Aldous reviewed the list, an eclectic group drawn from the most powerful faiths in the world.

"Of course the church would never admit that any of them were anything but mystical charlatans or heathens needing to be shown the way" Aldous scowled as he thought of the pain and persecution the Roman Catholic Church had visited upon these groups over the years.

Only one of the nine came from the church, and that one was a young nun who had been performing "miracles" for the past 3 years in her little church just outside Moscow. A missionary from America, Mary Elizabeth Shane was tapping directly into the highest planes of pure life energy to heal the sick, she thought it was god working through her, and no one had bothered to tell her differently.

Pulling up the lists on his laptop he was jostled when the plane hit a turbulent, he had that momentary feeling of weightlessness and queasiness that always took him a few minutes to recover from.

The messengers had been sent out less than 24 hours ago, already two of the nine had been informed and were on the way, Cali and Sam. Sorceresses of the 5th tier, together they were the most powerful living practitioners of high magic in over 8 centuries.

Jonas, Duncan and Aiyana a coven of three who had tapped into some of the most ancient Wiccan, Druidic and Native American energies and emerged a tri-coven of immense power.

Sun Cho Ling, Zen Buddhist, who studied under the Dali Lama, spent time with resistance fighters in Tibet and was the holder of the Seven Universal Truths.

The newest list was only 10 years old, the heading was Technomancer.

The cardinal remembered the year it took to define exactly what this new discipline actually was. It started in 1988 when the Internet came into being and more and more people began using the information super highway. With hundreds of thousands then millions of people putting so much time and energy into this new medium it was not surprising when they discovered this digital universe had started to produce an energy of its own.

Of the millions who used it, a select few began to 'attune" with this new energy form. They were called hackers, phreakers, geeks, and nerds; of those, a few had something beyond a good knowledge of C++ and a bad attitude.

They...felt...the Internet, understood on an instinctual level how the system worked. This led them to becoming masters of the medium, taking on almost godlike abilities in the virtual and real worlds. Cryptic was the most attuned and pure of this new breed.

Takari Som Juni, Voodoo Priestess, this was a woman who could scare the devil himself, 9th daughter of a 9th daughter of a 9th daughter Takari raised the abilities of voodoo to a new level, finding little personal solace in her immense power.

They were the nine, the Chosen, the ones who together would stand, stand before the coming problems, stand before the wave of evolution, stand before their own visions of god and the universe, and find a truth that would change them forever.

The C-130 went into a tight banking turn, preparing for the landing at the citadel. Closing his laptop Aldous closed his eyes; he felt a strange combination of bone wrenching weariness and a feeling of impending joy that comes when great events are in play. Tempted to pray again for strength, cardinal Aldous merely kept his eyes closed and hoped that the chosen would be up to the task.

Vjax
Vjax
946 Followers