Award

Story Info
A high school senior strives for his award.
18.5k words
4.72
208.7k
485
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
oshaw
oshaw
3,226 Followers

I walked up to the entrance of Sue's Hamburger Stand and noticed a ruckus going on. Middle age couples were walking by showing their disgust at the fracas.

What was going on was a gang of high school students harassing a young boy about 11 or 12 years old. A girl about 13 years old was screaming at them to stop. She couldn't do much more since she was being restrained from intervening by another high school student.

I knew the boys were high school students because they went to my high school. More specifically, they were my teammates on my football team. I didn't hesitate as I stepped up and asked what was going on. I was gratified to see most had stopped their harassment as soon as they saw me.

That didn't stop Ricky Wilson, our second string quarterback from hauling off and cuffing the kid one last time with an opened hand slap. As Rick reached back to slap the crying kid again, I stepped in front of him and grabbed his arm to prevent him from hitting the kid.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I yelled at him while I glared right into his eyes. "Don't you know any better than to hurt a little kid?"

The jovial atmosphere that the group had exhibited before I arrived morphed into an uncomfortable silence as I continued to dress them down.

Ricky started mumbling something that I couldn't make out. "What were you saying, dumbass?" I hollered.

Finally, he looked at me and told me that the kid had disrespected them and pointed to the kid's torn T-shirt. Imprinted on the shirt was the logo of the Harrisburg Lions, a rival from 80 miles away. "Let me get this right. You beat up on a little kid because he was wearing a T-shirt? It took eight of you to gather up the courage to mistreat a young boy and girl?" I looked back and saw the young kids huddled together kneeling on the sidewalk crying. "Well, I hope all of you are proud of yourselves! Y'all certainly proved yourselves to be worthy of being the Mooreville Eagles! " I lashed into the group. I chewed them out a little bit longer and then told them to get lost. They all slunked off and left me standing by the two kids who had stopped crying and were sniffing away the tears.

"Hey, are y'all okay?" I gently asked as I studied the boy's injuries. He had a few bruises and abrasions, and one open cut with a small trail of blood going down his cheek. I was trying to figure out how to treat it when an avenging banshee arrived.

As I heard the scream, I instinctively stood up when an explosion of pain against my temple caused me to see white. Immediately I was shoved and another blow struck my head as I tried to identify my tormentor.

I had enough time to see an auburn haired girl with blazing green eyes launch herself at me for another attack. I was able to deflect the series of blows that followed as I retreated away from her. I tried to protest and explain what had happened, but, the vocal stream of obscenities erupting from this beautiful avenger would have shamed a Marine.

At a certain point, she started crying and told me to get the hell away from them. As she walked back to the kids, I debated going back toward them, but, I was afraid of upsetting her again. I decided I had to try.

I walked to the three as they were getting up and the girl started to get up to attack me again. I stopped about 10 feet away and began to apologize for what had happened. She looked at me with such disgust and contempt that I felt like shrinking. She told me what I could do with my damn apology and led the kids away from me as the kids began trying to explain to her what had happened.

It isn't a good thing to have anyone upset with you; it is magnified when it is a beautiful girl that you never saw before. Maybe, when the team traveled to Harrisburg, I could go and try to apologize again. She shouldn't be hard to find, any girl that pretty had to be a cheerleader.

As I drove home, I shifted my thoughts away from her and tried to focus on whether to tell Coach Chambers about what had happened. As I weighed the pros and cons, my mind kept drifting back to those green eyes. Funny, how I could recall them so vividly even if I just saw them for an instance. I finally decided it would be best not to involve Coach Chambers.

My name is Jim Andrews; I am a senior at Mooreville High School. I am the quarterback for the Mooreville Eagles. I had always been physically adept even as a young child, something which had not gone unnoticed by the coaching staff. My sophomore year, I was the starting quarterback and we went 8 and 3. My junior year, I was All-State, we went 11 and 1, losing in the state's championship game, 36-35.

Now on the cusp of my senior year, the general statewide prediction was we would go undefeated and win the state championship. I was being recruited by practically every school in the country to come play for them. It was a heady time for me and the team. Lucky for me, my position coach, Coach Porter had a knack to keep my head on straight and focused.

It was a good thing for me that I was going to get a football scholarship; otherwise, it would be unlikely I would be able to afford to go to school.

I certainly wasn't going to get a scholarship based on my B minus average. My parents would have moved heaven and earth to send me, but, I was the baby of the family and after sending both my sisters to college, there just wasn't that much left in the cupboard.

I got home and quickly did my chores; it would soon be time to go to the school gym for one of our "unofficial" weight training session. This was something Coach Chambers initiated even though it was a violation of the state's rules on high school football.

Coach Chambers was always looking for an edge and he and Coach Porter had several arguments about this and other rule violations. Coach Chambers ended every argument by telling Coach Porter if he didn't like it, he could get another job.

When I came to Coach Chambers' attention in the 8th grade, he came to me with a bottle of what he called "vitamin supplements." He told me to take them as directed and not to let anyone know I was one of his "favorite" players. What he didn't know is that my sister's boyfriend had warned me about Coach Chambers passing out steroids. If you didn't take them, you didn't play for Coach Chambers.

My sister's boyfriend warned me of the studies that showed the long term damage caused by steroids. I decided that the only way I could play was to pretend to take them. I stored away the sealed bottle and did the same with each bottle that arrived each month.

I thought if he didn't know I wasn't taking them it wouldn't hurt anything. I hated having to keep a secret from my parents and Coach Porter, but, I thought this way nobody would get hurt. And in any event, I could always give the entire allotment back to Coach Chambers if need be.

As I began bench pressing a repetition set, I noticed several of the instigators mingling around different weight stations. As I moved to each station, one would come up and we would have a private conversation.

I would let them know I wouldn't report it and it would be a private matter that we would work through. I let each person know that we were better than picking on a defenseless kid and we needed to focus on the upcoming season. I thought that was required due to my leadership role.

All seem to be good with everyone except Ricky Wilson who avoided me during the entire session. The last hour was "unofficially" walking through formations and plays led by Coach Chambers and the coaching staff, except for Coach Porter's absence, since he refused to violate the rules.

I got home, dragging as usual, and said hello to my parents who had gotten home from work; mom works as an RN at the hospital, and dad is a foreman at the paper mill. They asked me how my day went and I glossed over everything. Just as I was getting ready to sit down for supper, they surprised me and told me we were invited to eat with our new neighbors. Since this was our first meeting, nothing would do but to get up and go meet them.

As we arrived at the neighbor's house, I knew if they had kids, it would be up to me tonight to entertain them. I wasn't really looking forward to doing that, I figured I could excuse myself after a decent amount of time and meet up with my girlfriend, Katie and enjoy the rest of the evening.

I rang the doorbell and waited for it to open. When it did, I heard, "It's you!" as I was clinched in a hug by the 13-year old girl that I helped that afternoon. "Daddy, Momma, this is the boy that rescued us today!" she gestured to the couple walking to the door. I was immediately hugged by the father and his wife, to the befuddlement of my parents.

While this was all going on, I caught movement from the second floor and my first impression of someone in a dress retreated from my view and I heard a door slam shut.

Somehow through the chaos, introductions were made and the incident was revealed to everyone. The thirteen years old, Carol, made me out to be some sort of superhero who saved them. Jimmy, the eleven-year old, sheepishly grinned as his exploits of taking on eight football players was being described.

Mrs. Smith told Carol to go get her sister to come downstairs. Carol came back alone and whispered something to her mother. Mrs. Smith excused herself and after a few minutes came back downstairs, accompanied by her 18-year-old daughter and for the first time I was able to study the vivacious beautiful Vicky Smith.

It was hard to keep from ogling her as she came down the staircase. Her body was swaying all the right ways that teenage boys liked to see. I heard a giggle behind me and saw Carol had noticed me gawking at her sister. She smiled as though to say she wasn't going to tell on me and I breathed a sigh of relief.

I went over and introduced myself. Vicky wouldn't look at me. By this time, my parents wanted to know why I hadn't mention it and who was involved.

I took a deep breath and told the Smiths' the culprits were teammates of mine. That I was upset and embarrassed by their conduct and for that I apologized.

I told them how I had already talked to all involved and how I had expressed my disappointment with the guilty parties. That while I certainly understood if they thought otherwise; it was my desire not to involve the authorities. I would see to it that all involved would come and offer a personal apology to Jimmy, Carol, and the Smiths' family.

Tom Smith studied me and asked how I could assure their attendance. I told him they listened to me and if I told them to do something, then it would get done. I asked when would be a convenient time for them to come over. He discussed it with his wife, Martha and they decided tomorrow noon would suit them. I excused myself and began calling up the guys that would have to come over to apologize. As I continued through the calls, I noticed Vicky Smith had come outside and watched as I ordered the guys. The only one to balk was Ricky. I told him, he would either apologize or be the subject of a criminal investigation. He finally sullenly agreed to come over and apologize.

I was relieved to get through all the calls and reluctant to be the subject of those green eyes again. I steeled myself and faced Vicky. Before Vicky could speak, I blurted out an apology for upsetting her. She stared at me and once again I felt discomfort. She didn't speak for a few minutes and I was getting more nervous than facing a blitz.

"You could have ratted me out for beating you and cussing you. Why didn't you?" Her voice was soft and lyrical, so unlike, earlier today.

"You were defending your family. Nobody should blame you for what happened" I explained, "I just wished I could have made everything clear this afternoon."

"I hope you understand all I could see was my little brother and sister were hurt and you were the only one around. I made a wrongful assumption; I should've given you an opportunity to explain. All I could think to do was to get my brother and sister looked at and get out of there." Vicky continued to look down at her shoes; she didn't want to face me.

She continued on, "When I got them in the car and settled down; they began to explain what happened and how you showed up and stopped that gang from hurting them. I turned around and went back to apologize, but, you were already gone."

"When we got home, Mom and Dad got so upset. We came here from Harrisburg because Dad got a promotion. He was almost about to call his boss and tell him that he wanted his old job back. I think he may still feel that way; but, he knew he had to get through this dinner our Moms scheduled. So, he's a lot calmer now."

I responded, "I'm glad I was able to help y'all decide to stay."

She finally looked at me with a sad face, "I have to confess, I would've been happy had he decided to go back. My whole life; my friends; my boyfriend.... They're all up in Harrisburg. I never wanted to come here and I tried to convince my parents to let me finish my senior year up there. They told me they wouldn't be able to be a family without me, so I had to make the grand gesture and pretend I'm okay with it."

That startled me, I hadn't ever had to deal with starting over and learn a whole new group of strangers and hope I could make friends. I started to understand how Vicky was feeling, but, I couldn't think of any way to help alleviate her concerns. So we just stood in the night with nothing but the crickets chirping away.

Finally, just to break the tension I tried to draw her out with a number of things to talk about, but every topic just died out. We both stood there uncomfortable in silence until we were called in to eat.

Vicky sat opposite me, while Carol and Jimmy sat on either side of me. I focused on telling them about Mooreville, where the best places were and the places they should avoid. Carol wanted to know about the junior high school and what the teachers were like. I spent most of the time discussing things with her, while trying to not stab myself with a fork, since I kept being distracted by Vicky's presence.

As we left, Carol and her parents walked us outside. I had hoped I would have another opportunity to try to talk to Vicky, but she stayed in the house.

I told Carol that I thought her sister didn't think too highly of me. Carol asked me if I knew Will Akers. Of course, I knew Will Akers. He was Harrisburg's quarterback and my rival as the most sought after high school prospect in the state. Carol sadly informed me that Will was Vicky's boyfriend.

It was too late to call my girlfriend, Katie when I got home, so I went on to bed. Tomorrow, I would sufficiently grovel before my girlfriend for not calling and find out what our weekend plans were.

When I woke up, I went out for a 5-mile run and I found myself comparing Katie and Vicky during my jog.

Katie became my girlfriend in the 9th grade. She was the captain of the cheerleading squad and involved in every club and activity offered at school. I guess I should qualify that statement. She was involved with every club the "cool" kids belonged; otherwise, forget it. I suppose being the quarterback, qualified me as cool, it certainly wasn't my absence at the country club that enticed her.

We had been together ever since the ninth grade, except for a few breakups when I caught her going out with other guys. Then, she would come around, crying from those big brown eyes and my heart would melt and we would reconcile.

She kept insisting that I was the only one that had her heart, so what did it matter if she wanted to spend time with someone else. Didn't I know that we were soul mates, she would ask me. I told her that one day she would go too far and I would walk away. But, I never wanted that day to happen.

It didn't hurt that she was gorgeous. She was a petite brunette with long straight hair, with pert breasts and shapely legs, a pearl white smile, and a cheerful disposition; at least, most of the time.

God forbid, if anybody that she consider not worthy tried to engage her into conversation. A quick barb and her victim would go away upset as Katie and her clique laughed. I kept trying to change her attitude, but, Katie was locked in on who mattered and who didn't.

Katie kept me in a state of sexual anticipation and frustration. She would occasionally allow me to get to third base. While I thoroughly enjoyed the petting sessions, it was driving me crazy leaving each date with blueballs and a vague promise of taking her virginity in the future. I got very intimate with my right hand every night. Katie had our future mapped out, we would go to the University together, graduate together, I would get drafted by the NFL and we would get married and live happily ever after. I didn't question her ambitions. All I thought was I wanted to possess her forever and her goals certainly seemed reasonable to me.

Vicky, on the other hand was a tall auburn haired beauty, her hair was full of waves and curls which perfectly framed her face. She had an alabaster complexion which caused her sea green eyes to stand out that much more. She was better endowed than Katie and her legs were long and muscular. I knew she had at least two speaking styles: longshoreman and enticing siren.

Apart from knowing that she was dating my big rival, she was a complete enigma and it was a distraction.

I made it back home and tried to call Katie three times, each time the call went to voice mail. This was a signal she was royally pissed. There was nothing I could do until she decided to call me. I showered and rested for a while. Katie had still not called back. At any rate, it was time for me to leave.

At noon I was outside the Smiths' residence, waiting for my eight teammates; when they all arrived, I led them to the door and rang the doorbell.

Tom Smith opened the door with a stern look on his face and ushered us all inside. The Smiths' were seated in the livingroom, and one by one they made their apologies to all concerned.

Twice I had to direct my teammates to make a specific apology to Carol and Jimmy. All my teammates caught on and at least they all offered a heartfelt apology, until Ricky spoke.

Ricky decided on his own to infer that Jimmy wearing his shirt was the reason the incident occurred. I thought Tom Smith was about to get up and throw us all out when I took over.

I jumped up and braced Ricky for what he did and finally that idiot stumbled his way to apologize.

Then it was the Smiths' time to talk. They told everyone how disappointed they were to have something like that to happen to them when they had just moved here.

Carol with a quiet dignity looked everyone in the eye and told them how scared and upset she was seeing her little brother being beaten and she was helpless to stop it.

Jimmy didn't say anything; he just glared at Ricky the entire time. Vicky described how she felt when she arrived and saw Jimmy beat up and how she took out her anger on me. She then looked me in the eye and apologized to me. All I could do was nod ok.

Tom Smith got up and told everyone that once this had happened he had called the police and made a report. He was determined that the culprits would be found and prosecuted, at that point all eight began hyperventilating.

He said he remained convinced to that course of action until he spoke to me last night. He explained that upon reflection, I had reminded him of his Christian obligations last night and therefore they were all forgiven. He would call the chief of police and the prosecuting attorney and ask they drop the investigation.

All he asked by way of penance was to ask them if they ever saw anyone being abused in the future that they step in and protect the weak. With that we were dismissed.

I went outside and spoke to everyone, they all began speaking and thanking me for getting them out of trouble. As I noticed Ricky walking to his car, I told the remaining seven that it was now in the past and now we could move forward. A voice called my name. Martha Smith asked me to come back inside.

oshaw
oshaw
3,226 Followers