Away From The Light

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What was going on?

She opened the door.

"Don't!" A hand from behind her shot past her head and slammed the door shut.

Kumiko yelped and spun around. Before she could scream again, a large hand pressed up against her mouth. Her eyes widened, her vision filled with the image of a tall man leaning in close to her. His own grey-blue eyes were wide and nervous.

"Shh! Shh!" the man hushed her. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Don't go outside! You can't go outside!"

She trembled, terrified. He leaned his full weight on her, pressing her up against the door. She couldn't move and her cries were muffled by his hand.

"Something's going on out there," he continued, his voice filled with urgency, "People are disappearing. I don't know what the hell is happening!"

A tear streamed down her face. Why was this happening to her now?

The younger man gazed at her. The strain on his face eased slightly.

"Okay. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he said to her, "I'm not going to hurt you. I swear to God. Believe me? Please, believe me?"

She could feel his weight shift off from her and the pressure on her mouth ease slightly. She watched him nod at her, pleading with his eyes. Something inside of her told her to nod back once.

"You won't scream?" he asked her.

She nodded again.

"And you won't try to run outside?"

She shook her head.

As his hand moved away from her lips, she gasped and coughed. She felt his hands on her shoulders.

"You okay?" he asked, "I didn't mean to-"

"Get away from me!" she snapped and she pushed past him back into the lounge.

"I'm sorry!" he called out to her. He ran his hands through his hair and grit his teeth together, "God!"

Kumiko had no idea what to say. Confusion overwhelmed her and all she could do as she aimlessly made her way around the tables of the lounge was glare nervously at the man blocking the doorway.

"You don't want to go outside," he kept repeating. "Trust me."

She frowned and said, "Why should I? What's going on?"

"I don't know," he said, shaking his head and looking at the floor, "People -- people are being taken away by something. There's a light. Then they're just disappearing."

Kumiko finally stopped pacing and simply stared at him. He looked like a big jock but he was acting like a scared child. She shook her head, "What the hell are you talking about?"

He took a deep breath. His was flushed red and his eyes were watery and shifting endlessly. It suddenly dawned on her that the young man may have been high on something.

"Look," she said, "Do-do you need some help?" She was still nervous but she calmed her voice somewhat, hoping it would bring him down a bit.

His eyes were shut as he shook his head. "There's something going on outside," he said trying his best to remain coherent, "Hundreds...thousands of people just disappeared in a matter of seconds and now something is still taking people away now. I don't know what. I can't explain it."

Kumiko looked to the side, frowning. She had no idea how to help him. Reaching into her bag, she pulled out her cell phone and started to dial the police.

"Help me!" a cry from outside the window interrupted her. "For God's sake! Somebody help me!"

They both turned to look outside the bar lounge window. In the middle of the city street, a frantic man ran between the abandoned cars. Kumiko moved closer to the window and the young man peered out from behind her. The man outside turned his head back as he ran. Without looking where he was going, he slammed into the tail of a car and flipped himself hard onto the pavement. As he painfully tried to pull himself back up to his feet, something began to glow behind him just off to the side of the window.

Kumiko took a step towards the door but she felt the grip of two strong hands on her shoulders.

"Wait," the young man said, holding her fast from behind, his eyes fixed on the scene outside.

Looking back and up at him, Kumiko twisted her body, trying to shrug off his grasp on her. "Let go of me," she demanded.

"Wait!" he insisted.

"OHMYGOD!" the man on the ground outside screamed. His terror resonated through the glass, sending a shiver through both of their bodies.

It stopped Kumiko from struggling and, like the man who was holding onto her, her eyes focused on the bizarre happenings in the street.

The man tried to drag himself away from the approaching light. Finally, she saw it: a beam of light, glowing like the sun. Somehow it didn't strain her eyes as she watched it. She didn't even squint.

"It's---beautiful," she muttered despite the growing anxiety she felt swelling from her gut.

The Light seized the man. Kumiko gasped. The young man behind her held her a little tighter but she didn't feel it. Her eyes were tethered to the eyes of the man beyond the glass of the window. His terrified eyes widened enough to reflect her image in them. The man screamed as he was absorbed into the radiance, his body almost becoming translucent for a fleeting second before it faded from existence. The Light disappeared along with any trace of the man. Kumiko's blood drained from her face.

"Wh-wh-what...," the shocked woman couldn't process a thought. She could still see the man's eyes, filled with cold fear, even though he wasn't there anymore.

She felt herself being spun around. After several blinks, she finally saw the very much alive but no less panicked grey-blue eyes of the young man. Her mouth hung open eking out squeaks of gibberish.

"Stay with me," he said to her, a vague calm in his voice. "My name is Tyler. Stay with me."

She hadn't trusted a soul in over 10 years, never reached out to anyone. Now a stranger was begging her to follow him.

His eyes never moved from hers. There was something about them. Something...

Kumiko's chin lowered then raised itself, possibly a nod.

Immediately, Tyler took her hand and they ran together to the exit at the back of the lounge.

*****************

The water rushed down over her body. Each droplet that touched her golden skin was a micro-step towards soothing her tattered soul. Even still, there were moments in the shower when Kumiko would raise the back of her hand to her mouth, desperately stifling her whimpers before she exploded into a full blown panic once more. As she rubbed the soapy foam all over her body and through her hair, she wished she could feel it.

Tyler moved around slowly in the kitchen. His body ached and he was exhausted. It was a strain to even use the can opener. He paused every so often, doubting himself, wondering if she wasn't right, if they shouldn't just keep moving. But where were they supposed to go? For three weeks they were running around like rats in a maze and they were still in the city.

He put down the can and dragged his hands down his face. He held them over his mouth and looked across the loft to the bathroom. From behind the frosted glass, candles illuminated the supple body of the woman he had been running with for the last few weeks. She moved slowly, gracefully, stretching her limbs and wiping down her body. He hoped she was feeling more relaxed. It warmed him to watch her like this.

After a few minutes, Kumiko emerged from the bathroom wearing only the over-sized green shirt over her panties. She rolled up the sleeves as she made her way slowly towards the small cafe dining table. It was all aglow with candles. Her companion came around the side of the kitchen counter holding a couple of soup bowls.

Tyler stood at the table and shrugged, "I'm afraid it's not much. Some crackers and cold soup from a can. But at least it's organic."

She actually chuckled softly at his remark.

"And," he added as he placed the bowls on the table and reached back and grabbed a bottle from the counter, "Some very expensive red wine. At least, I think it's expensive. I don't know much about these things."

Incredibly, Kumiko chuckled again. Tyler joined her with his own slightly nervous laugh.

Standing across from one another at the table, the glow lighting up their somewhat refreshed faces, they managed to smile at one another.

Tyler arched his eyebrows up and spoke softly, "We won't talk about...that." He tilted his head towards the windows.

Kumiko stiffened her upper lip and nodded. "I'm famished. Shall we eat?"

The two of them sat down and ate their soup quietly. Aside from their spoons touching their bowls and their soft sips of the soup and wine, it was impossibly silent as was all of the world around them was these days. Yet the silence brought them little comfort. It reminded them both of what was lost and what was also inevitable.

Kumiko stared at the table. It was simply yet elegantly set and pretty with all the little candles Tyler had lit upon it. Suddenly, she felt overwhelmed once more about what was happening. The facade of normalcy of their dinner quickly began to give way to reality. She lowered her chin to her chest and sobbed quietly.

Tyler swallowed and looked at her anxiously. He felt like taking her hand and running once more. It was the only time he felt like he was doing something to help the woman. Instead, he put down his spoon and said, "Kumiko, I've been meaning to ask you. Why were you at the bar that night?"

She blinked and raised her head. Her eyes were slightly red as were his cheeks. "What?" she said.

"Were you there with someone? Waiting for someone?" he asked. He didn't know exactly why he was asking her these questions but he was listening with unexpected anticipation.

"I...," her small brown eyes wandered away from the table momentarily, off towards a dark corner of the loft. She saw nothing. Looking back at the young man seated across from her she said, "No. No one."

Tyler nodded, accepting her response.

"And you?" the woman spoke, sounding a bit more assured than a moment ago.

The young man wiped his mouth with a napkin and stood up from the table. He walked towards his pile of dirty clothes he had left in a corner and returned to the table holding a folded up piece of paper. He offered it to her and then sat back down.

Kumiko gave him and the piece of paper a curious look. She noticed that he couldn't quite hide a slightly satisfied smile on his lips. She unfolded the paper.

"It's a certificate of graduation," she said reading over the page, "From...high school?"

She looked up, a little confused.

"King Tyler. That's what I was called in high school," he grinned as he stared at the empty wine glass in his hand, "Top jock. Top party guy. The one everybody wanted to be with for some stupid reason."

Kumiko lowered the piece of paper. She watched the seated man across from her intently.

"King Tyler! Ruled his world with an iron fist," he thumped his hand on the table. Kumiko jumped slightly in her seat. Tyler firmed his jaw and said, "Well someone forgot to tell the king that he was actually supposed to get some studying in while he was at school. Apparently, in the world out there, good looks and bravado are just small change."

He filled his glass again and took a sip. He continued, "So I became just the big dummy who was held back a year when he should have graduated. The people who called me their friend couldn't be bothered to wait for my life to catch up to theirs so they just left me behind. I wasn't very strong on my own as it turns out. I dropped out of high school soon after."

Kumiko said nothing. She didn't move.

"My mother didn't care. Kept saying that it was alright, but she didn't care. My father resented me. I left home, found some jobs, enough to pay rent," his voice trailed off slightly, "But it was kind of lonely, you know? Kind of lonely."

Listening silently, she made out every quiver in his gentle voice as he spoke. She could seem him rocking faintly in his chair. Her heart was melting.

"Five years on, I'm thinking what's the point? I'm doing nothing for anyone or for any reason," he rambled on, "So somehow, I managed to drag myself back to class, finish my high school credits. I got my certificate that day. I was going to take it home, show my mother and father. Then I was going to all of my ex-classmates from school. Sounds so stupid, right?"

Kumiko smiled and shook her head.

"I should have gone home," his head lowered as he spoke, "I should have gone home but I stopped at the bar to celebrate. By myself. I should congratulate myself first, right? I did it all by myself, right? Right? So stupid. So goddamn stupid..."

Dammit. He didn't want to get this way. Not by himself and not in front of Kumiko. He had carried her for all this time. He wanted to be strong enough to carry her till the end. Yet he couldn't deny the tears of vulnerability he felt swelling in his eyes.

Then he felt a soft hand touch his on the table. It didn't clutch at his in desperation or squeeze it tight in need. It just held him. He looked up. The warm face of a pretty dark-haired woman greeted him with a caressing smile. She didn't speak. Her calm expression was all that he needed.

He held her hand. He levelled his handsome, youthful gaze on her, focused on her. "Kumiko," he strained, clearing his throat, "When you said to just leave you on the streets, it nearly killed me."

The woman's expression shifted uneasily. She felt his hand tremble in hers.

"You told me you didn't want me to die for you," he said in a low voice. He steeled his gaze on her small dark eyes, "I'm living for you."

Kumiko's mouth was agape. Blinking, she drew several quick breaths but all she could say in reply was, "Tyler."

Tyler's eyes shifted unsteadily as they looked at each other in pregnant silence. He sighed and stood from the table. Letting go of her hand, he walked away and sat on the edge of the bed. It seemed like the furthest the two of them had been apart during the entire time that they were together, a flooded stream of released emotions flowing between them.

They each took a moment to piece together their thoughts and feelings about themselves, about their very existence, about each other.

Kumiko looked over towards the young man seated on the bed, barely registering from the glow of the candles on the table. His head was held low. She witnessed his loneliness, imagined him this way for the last few years of his young, promising life, and her heart swelled. The woman rose from her seat.

Tyler stared at his hands for no particular reason. Lost in thought, he hadn't even noticed Kumiko standing over him by the bed until he felt her hand on his shoulder. As he looked up, her other soft hand gently brushed away the strands of blonde hair hanging over his brow. She leaned over and kissed his forehead. It felt like a feather had caressed his skin. The glow of the candles scarcely managed to cast her in a silhouette, yet for Tyler, she glowed as if the sun was rising behind her.

He stared up at her, stunned. "Kumi-Kumiko," he eked.

"Shh," she hushed and her lips came towards him again. This time, she placed them upon his.

Neither of them moved. Her long, soft black hair dropped down and brushed his face but he didn't flinch. It was silent but the silence no longer bothered them.

A single tear drop rolled down unnoticed down the side of Kumiko's face.

When she finally stepped back she could hear him breathing hard, see his broad smooth chest rise and fall. His anxious expression was mixed with uncertainty.

With a wavering smile on her own face, Kumiko raised her hands and slowly began to undo the buttons on her shirt. Tyler's mouth quivered open as the first button pushed apart. He felt the swells in his stomach rise and fall, his heart beat against his chest, and a twinge at his crotch as he felt himself harden quickly. For a moment, he sat there, mesmerized. Then without a thought, his hand reached up and grabbed hers.

"Stop," he gasped, shaking his head slowly, "Kumiko, we don't have to..."

Her smile growing more assured by the second, the woman took his hand in hers and held it at her chest. He felt his knuckles brush against her tender, warm skin where her shirt had parted. Her other hand came down and touched his cheek.

"Trust me. We don't have to run anymore," she said, her voice sweet yet passionate, "Stay with me, Tyler. Please, stay with me."

With that she leaned over and they kissed once again. Uncertainty was cast aside into the darkness. Tyler couldn't think of anything or anyone else. He grasped at Kumiko, his fingers tangling into her spun-silk hair. He fell back onto the bed, pulling the lighter woman on top of him. Their bodies slid against one another, his hand slipping around her bum and up under the back of her shirt. Their mouths moved with urgency, lips folding over one another, nimble tongues entwining, and damp, steamy breaths passing between them. Her fingers also burrowed through his tangle of hair, holding him tight to her.

Tyler's strong hands slipped to her waist and with a subtle, smooth movement, he flipped her over onto her back on the soft duvet. He pressed his lips onto hers, drove his tongue deep into her mouth. She tasted wonderful. Kumiko strained her quickening groans into his throat.

Breathing hard now, Tyler sat up in bed and tore his shirt apart, buttons flying to the ground and on the sheets. He stripped the clothing off his muscular frame and tossed it away. Kumiko watched him, saw the rugged lines and curves on his body, admired his body. As his hands came towards her chest, as his fingers continued what she had started and undid the buttons of her shirt, her whole body trembled, nerves racing with anticipation and also anxiety. He was obviously at his physical peak. She was older and, up until recently, not exactly focused on her physical appearance.

Yet when the last button fell away, and when he carefully pulled her shirt apart revealing her fine, supple body, there was nothing but appreciation and longing in his eyes as he gazed upon her. He dragged the back of his hand gently up and down her smooth skin, over the slope of her round breasts and across her soft, tender belly.

Tyler was about to make love to the most beautiful angel he could ever imagine.

Slipping off her shirt, they came together once more in a impassioned clench. Their bodies tingled as they pressed their flesh together, her breasts pillowing his hard chest. Tyler's mouth moved downward, tracing hard, wet kisses down the soft skin of her chin, her neck, her collar bone. Kumiko gasped and shut her eyes as she felt his hot probing lips on her chest, his tongue dragging languidly around her nipples. He scraped his teeth across them before sucking them into his mouth alternately, pushing her breasts with his firm hands. His rough fingers sank against her forgiving mounds and she wriggled her body uncontrollably beneath him.

His downward descent continued, kissing and licking her trembling belly. His fingers hooked both sides of her panties as he slid off the bed, kneeling on the floor beside it. Kumiko felt the fine material being drawn down her legs and slipped off of her feet. She ran her hand through her hair, breathing deeply and looking up at the ceiling. She felt his hands on her calves, slipping her legs over his shoulders. She felt him kiss her inner thighs. Just as she looked down across her own nude body, Tyler buried his face into her crotch. Instantly she threw her head back again and groaned.

Tyler nuzzled his nose and mouth against her sensitive quim. His tongue slipped out and prodded her outer folds of skin apart. As the woman wriggled and shook her hips with his every kiss and lick, his fingers slipped in, spreading her pink flesh further apart. He kissed and tongued her clit eliciting even more deep cries from the woman. She was so sweet, so tender.

One of her hands moved down to clutch at the curls in his hair, the other moved across her chest, teasing her own nipples to jutting attention. She arched her back. Her mouth was constantly aquiver, cooing and moaning as he pleasured her down below.