Back to Life Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DawnJ
DawnJ
325 Followers

"It was lovely to be here, Jannie," he answered, and then walked over to shake Duncan's hand. "I look forward to hearing about the family reunion."

He picked up her suitcase and they all walked out to the car, where final goodbyes were said, and Karen found herself embraced by both Jannie and Duncan.

"Have a safe journey!" Duncan said as they drove off. Karen waved at the couple and then turned back in her seat. She watched the houses and shops go by, and enjoyed the look of the countryside for a while, thinking about his cousin and her husband.

"They're not very English, are they?" she commented after a while, with a smile.

"Well, no, they're not. Not at all! Jannie is Dutch, of course, and Duncan...well, let's just say that he's not your average Englishman!" Peter replied with a chuckle. "Why did you say that?"

"They're very demonstrative, aren't they? I've never known English people (the few I do know) to be so touchy-feely and friendly. I was quite surprised when they both hugged me goodbye just now!" She laughed softly. "Whatever happened to that stiff upper lip?"

Peter laughed aloud at that, and said, "Well, Jannie was always demonstrative, even as a child, and I think her being a nurturer sort of requires that, don't you? As to Duncan, I guess Jannie's warmth has rubbed off on him." He paused for a moment to negotiate their turn onto the highway from the roundabout, then ended, "I have to say, though, that I think their response to you is largely because of me."

"You have lovely relatives, Peter, and it's so nice to see how much they love you!"

"It's nice to be loved," he murmured almost nonchalantly, but she felt his eyes on her briefly when he said it, and she immediately recalled their declarations of love the night before. Her hand stole up to touch the heavy glass pendant nestled in her warm cleavage, as she wondered why he had bought her the gift so soon in their acquaintance. "I think I fell for you the moment you stumbled into my arms, and after our second meeting, I wanted something tangible to record my feelings," he said, making her wonder if she had spoken her question aloud.

He reached over and took her hand in his, lacing his fingers through hers and resting their joined hands on his thigh. His own was big and warm, engulfing hers in a possessive and comforting grip, making her feel needed and cherished more than any words he might have said just then. She resisted the urge to raise his hand to her lips, and then felt herself grow hot when he did just that, planting a sensual kiss in the middle of her palm.

"What will you be doing till the end of June, when I'm free again?" he asked after a long silence.

"House hunting," she said immediately. "I love my brother, and his lady is very sweet, but I don't want to cramp their style any longer than I need to. Besides, I need to turn my own key again. This living with a concern for my hours and other idiosyncrasies is very wearing on the nerves."

"Where are you planning to live? Close to your brother?"

"No...I'm not one for big cities. I prefer small towns, or even the country. But I don't know anything about good places for someone like me to live in this country, so I'm relying on George and Toni to help me find something suitable within my means."

She tried to keep the worry out of her voice. The online editing business she had begun before she moved to Birmingham was just beginning to take off, so she could live anywhere, technically. But the thought of being in a completely strange place alone was unusually uncomfortable to her, and she was irritated by the unsettled feelings that swamped her whenever she thought about it.

"If you like, I can ask Jannie for suggestions," Peter offered soothingly, as though he could sense her unease.
 She chuckled. "I'm sure they'll be only too eager to suggest I move to Woodstock!" she said.

"I suppose you may be right," he answered on a laugh. "Would that be so bad?"

His voice was carefully neutral, but Karen sensed he might not be as disinterested as he wanted to appear. She didn't want to appear to be snubbing his relatives, especially since she liked them well enough, but the last thing she wanted at this point in her life was more well-meaning but nosy relatives minding her business with her. She assumed a nonchalant air.

"Living in Woodstock, you mean? Probably not. But I want to see what else is available that might appeal to me more. You never can tell, you know, and I don't want to settle for the first good thing that comes along, when there might be better out there."

He let her answer rest, for which she was grateful. Their feelings for each other were still too new to withstand an argument, especially one over something trivial. Instead he turned the conversation over to a discussion of summer plans. She listened with half an ear, feeling unaccountably drowsy and having to force herself to stay alert. It was a hard battle, one she clearly lost when she heard, from a kind of fogbank in her head,

"If you're tired, why don't you push the seat back and have a nap, Karen? We have another hour yet to Birmingham."

She blushed deeply and began to stammer out a denial, when he raised her hand to his lips again, kissing her palm warmly.

"It's all right, liefje. I'll wake you when we get there."

She wanted to insist that she was okay, but it seemed foolish, given that she must have dozed off enough for him to notice at least once before now, so she reluctantly adjusted the seat and rested her head back, though she tried valiantly to keep her eyes open. It was with some surprise, then, that she felt herself being gently shaken awake an hour later. The car had stopped, and Peter was looking at her, amusement and affection in his eyes. She closed her mouth, which she found, to her horror, had been gaping open. Had she snored? Drooled? The thought of being so vulnerable and open to him was mortifying.

Hard on the heels of that thought was that she had apparently crossed a barrier, as she had gone and slept with him without the benefit of a bed. And in the front seat of a car, no less! A giggle escaped unwittingly, and she cleared her throat when Peter's eyes sharpened on her.

"Was the dream amusing, then?" he asked.

"Dream?" she answered. "Was I dreaming?" She had no recollection of doing any such thing.

"Either that, or you are a sleep talker," he replied, smiling at her.

"If I was dreaming, I don't remember it now," she said, and straightened the seat.

She refused to ask him what she had said, and he didn't seem inclined to tell her, which suited her just fine. He got out of the car and came round to help her out, then went to retrieve her suitcase from the trunk. They walked together up the short path to the front door, which she quickly opened. No one was home, she knew. Lloyd and Elaine always went out on Sunday afternoons, and didn't come back till very late, so she'd be on her own for a while. From nowhere, the thought came to her that it would have been nice if Peter didn't have to go back so soon. They could be alone together for a few hours. She hurried ahead of him to hide her warming cheeks from his gaze, and asked him to put the case by the closet door.

"Thank you for inviting me out, Peter," she said, turning to face him when her cheeks cooled. "I had a lovely time!"

He put the case down and walked with her to the door, which he had closed behind him when they entered.

"So did I, Karen," he murmured, and took her hands in his. "I'd like to do it again soon, if you don't mind."

He looked deeply into her eyes, and then lowered his head, kissing her slowly, deeply, taking his time, not apparently worried that he might be interrupted. He pulled her fully into his arms, letting her mouth go only long enough to let them each catch a breath before retaking it, sucking her lips in, swirling his tongue around them before plunging in to drink from her again. Karen's knees buckled when he pulled her hips into his own, and she felt his hardness pressed against her. She had had no inkling that he had been aroused, and she wondered vaguely when that had happened.

"There's a music festival happening in my neck of the woods in July. Would you like to come and share it with me? You could spend the weekend at my place, so there would be no cost to you."

He didn't wait for her answer, but seemed impatient to get back to his feast, and Karen let him have his fill of her lips and tongue. The grandfather clock ticked sedately, but they were oblivious to the passage of time. Their kisses grew more fevered, their hands more frenzied, their breathing more labored. They swayed against each other, and Karen moaned in disappointment when Peter drew away from her.

"If I stay any longer, we both know where this will end," he said, kissing a trail down the side of her neck to her throat, smiling when she giggled. "And I find myself unwilling to make love to you for the first time in your brother's house." He nipped her neck playfully, and chuckled when she giggled again.

"Have I found a sweet spot, then?" he wondered, lowering his head to breathe on her there, and nipping her earlobe.

"I'm ticklish," she admitted, and exhaled when he stroked her back as he kissed her down to her inviting breasts, hidden beneath the T-shirt she wore. He raised his head to gaze at them, squeezing the plump flesh between suddenly trembling hands.

"I'll send you the details of the festival as soon as I get home," he told her, his eyes raised to hers, the hunger in them almost hypnotizing her. "I want you to come, liefje," he added, and Karen knew he wasn't just talking about her visit. She blushed, and he pushed his hips against hers one more time before putting her away from him.

"I'll call you when I get home, love, okay?" He bussed her lips again, and she watched him get back into the rental and drive away.

When Peter finally opened the door to his apartment, he was weary and sleepy, but determined to call Karen before he went to sleep. He dropped his case on the bed and pulled his cell phone out of his pocket. Before long, he heard her now familiar voice:

"Hello!"

"Liefje, I'm home!" he said without preamble. "Feeling a bit whipped, and I have work tomorrow, so I won't stay long tonight."

"That's okay, Peter, I understand!" she answered him, and he could just picture the smile on her face as she reassured him.

"I'll send the details of the music festival tomorrow, before I go to work, and then we can discuss it further, if that's okay with you."

"Certainly," she said. "Now go to bed! I work from home, so my commute is nonexistent!"

"Goodnight, baby!" he murmured. "Sweet dreams!"

"And the same to you, love!" she replied.

He hung up, and went to get Scrooge from the neighbor who had kindly watched him, glad that he had had his evening constitutional, so Peter wouldn't have to leave the apartment again. He bore the dog's excited welcome home, fed and watered him, and after a quick shower, he toppled into bed. He didn't know when he fell asleep, but the dream that woke him had him hard and aching and dripping precum on himself and his sheets. He tried to slow his breathing, but he felt as though he were still in the dream, reaching a roaring climax in Karen's arms. The cool night air chilled his heated skin as he rose to clean himself.

The chiming clock proclaimed the hour to be two, but he was so wired, he was afraid he wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. Taking his laptop back to bed, he sat with his back against the headboard and checked his e-mails. There was a message from Karen, which he opened eagerly.

"Hi Peter," it said. "I hope you've arrived home safely. I just wanted to thank you again for inviting me to meet your family. I had a really lovely time. I'm looking forward to seeing you again on your home turf. Rest well, and sweet dreams. Karen".

Taking a deep breath, he searched online for the information he needed, and then answered her e-mail.

"Dear Karen, I woke up unexpectedly -- I had been dreaming of you! -- and found your message. I'm glad you had fun. So did I, and I too can't wait for the next time we can be together. The event takes place on July 10 and 11. I'll be on holiday by then, and wouldn't mind spending more than a weekend with you. Are you up for that? Let me know, and I can arrange to show you more. Sleep well, yourself, and sweet dreams, liefje! Peter."

He clicked send, and closed the laptop, setting it aside before lying down again and praying for sleep. He woke late, and had to rush through his morning, missing his morning coffee and barely making it to work on time. He taught all his classes, attended meetings scheduled for the afternoon, and by the end of the day he was ready for home. Scrooge was waiting to be walked -- he had curtailed the dog's morning run -- and he felt it best to get it over with so he could get some marking done, prepare for the tests he would be giving, and hopefully have time left over to call Karen.

By the time he was done, it was late, and he wondered if he should try her. But he needed to hear her voice again, and he promised himself to keep it short. He dialed her number and waited a heartbeat before she answered.

"Hello, Peter!" she answered.

"How did you know it was me?" he asked, smiling.

"Your name is attached to your number," she explained. "How are you? Is everything all right?"

She sounded anxious, and he hastened to reassure her. "Yes, I'm all right, and everything is fine. I just needed to hear you again." He stopped abruptly, and waited to hear what she would say.

"I missed you too, Peter!"

He could hear the smile in her voice. "Did you read my e-mail?" he wanted to know.

"Yes, and I can be there for as long as you want," she said.

"Mmmmm...that sounds quite inviting, baby!" He dropped his voice, although he was alone, aware that he might sound seductive and not caring. "I can make all the arrangements for you, if you like," he offered.

"What do you mean?" she asked, clearly puzzled.

"I'll book the flight, if you want me to."

"I wouldn't dream of asking you to pay my fare, Peter!" she exclaimed, scandalized. "I can afford it!"

"You're not asking me. I'm offering. I know you can afford it, liefje, but I want to. Please? It would make me happy."

He waited again, almost hearing the wheels turning in her head, and praying that she would give in to him on this. He knew she had no steady income at the moment, and as he was the one wanting her to come to him, it seemed only right to foot the bill.

"Can we compromise?" she asked. "You can book it and pay for it, but I'll return half the cost to you when I get there. How's that?"

"You mean, go Dutch?" he asked on a laugh.

He would take whatever she was willing to give, knowing that he would be able to spend whatever he liked on her when she got there, without her even knowing about it. He heard her answering laugh.

"Good one!" she congratulated him. "You're quick, aren't you?"

"When I have to be," he conceded. He paused, needing to do more than talk shop. He wanted to be tender, romantic, sensual before he said goodnight. "I'll be thinking of you when I go to sleep in a bit," he said. "My dreams last night were wonderful!"

"Oh...tell me, please?" He liked the way she sounded.

"Think back to yesterday, or the night before. Feel me pressed against you. Can you do that?" He spoke hoarsely, and had to clear his throat to continue. "In my dream, we made love."

He listened to her silence with a knowing smile. He hadn't meant to start this, but he wished she were with him so he could end it the way he had dreamed of.

"Was I any good?" she asked, surprising him into a husky chuckle.

"You rocked my world, liefje!"

She inhaled deeply, and Peter could almost feel her gathering herself before she spoke.

"I don't remember most of my dreams," she said, "and the ones that I do remember are nightmares. So I'll settle for hearing about your dreams!"

He smiled. "If I have any others, I'll be sure to share them with you!"

The clock chimed the hour. He sighed. He needed to get some more rest.

"I have to go now, baby! I'm sorry! I'll call you earlier tomorrow, I promise!"

"Okay. Sleep well, love!"

"I will, now, baby. Sweet dreams yourself! Goodnight!"

The next three weeks flew by, with calls to Karen at night and testing and final end-of-year activities at school. He looked forward to their evening talks, each day growing bolder, each conversation hotter, until he thought he would burst with desire for her. Finally, it was the night before she as to come, and he called to tell her goodnight, as usual.

"Are you ready for me?" he asked her.

"I don't know," she answered him, chuckling softly, "but I'm ready to come and find out!"

"I'll be waiting, sweetie, with open arms." "I loved it when you held me before," she confessed.

"Not as much as I loved holding you and kissing you," he countered. "And I can't wait to do it again! Get some sleep, liefje. I'll see you tomorrow morning!"

The hours to her arrival seemed to Peter to crawl, but eventually, he saw her pulling her suitcase -- he still marvelled that she travelled so lightly! -- and he hurried to meet her. When he stood before her, her scent assailed him, and he pulled her into his arms and kissed her, uncaring of the passersby. Need swamped him, and he barely remembered where he was.

"Hello there!" he said shakily when he raised his head. "Welcome back!"

Karen smiled at him and relinquished her suitcase, letting him hold her hand and lead her out to his car. He didn't let her go for the ride back to his home, and she barely noticed the scenery they drove through. She was so taken with the way his hand felt engulfing hers, the way his lips made her tingle and grow warm where he had pressed his mouth, the way his hard thigh felt beneath her fingers, the way his scent curled around her and stole inside her. She was so turned on by being near him that she could barely process a thought. The instant she had seen him approach her at the airport, she felt as though all the air had been sucked out of the building, and only his kiss of welcome had brought it all back in a rush.

He was speaking, and she shook herself to get her focus back.

"I'm sorry...I was..." she hesitated, not wanting to tell him that she hadn't been paying attention.

"I know," he said, and she had the feeling he did. "How was the flight?" he asked.

"Okay, which I am grateful for, as I hate flying!"

He told her about the towns they drove through, introduced her to the dykes they drove over, and finally stopped before the building where he lived.

"You live in a bookshop?" she asked incredulously.

"I live about it, in the apartment," he explained. He took her suitcase and led her round to the side where the stairs led up to a surprisingly spacious porch. He opened the door to his apartment, and Karen was even more surprised at how large it was.

"Come through," he invited her, and after he closed the door, he led her back to the second bedroom where he deposited her suitcase and turned to her.

"Welcome to my home!" he said, and kissed her.

She rested her hands on his chest, and he held her closer, wrapping bis own around her, spreading his hands downward to rest on her bottom, and pulling her in to his hardening body.

"I've been missing you, baby!"

His words, and the husky tone of his voice shattered her control, and she threw her arms around him, hugging him tightly.

"Me too, love!"

They stood there, lost in the taste and scent and feel of each other, oblivious to all but their lust and need. His tongue found hers and suckled there hungrily. Her hands found his back and stroked him. He pushed his hips against hers, and she pushed back.

DawnJ
DawnJ
325 Followers