Back to the Farm Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
evanslily
evanslily
2,885 Followers

It wasn't at all difficult to roll back the years and see the young man Matt's mother had fallen in love with. Slightly taller than Matt, he had the square jaw and light brown wavy hair Ruth described, hair that decades later only had a sprinkling of grey at the temples.

But meeting those pale blue eyes gave Melissa the biggest jolt of all...

"You see, I'd heard she decided to stay in South Africa after Roger died."

How on earth had he managed to find that out? Ruth had spent years trying to trace him, all to no avail. And yet here he was, right in front of her. Solid. Real.

"She moved back a few weeks ago," Melissa explained. "She wanted to be nearer her family."

Well, to be nearer Grace, they'd decided. The bond between grandmother and granddaughter was touchingly close. Matt had joked the other day that if he'd been born a girl, his relationship with his mother might've been different from the start.

"Wait a minute." The sound of Shelley's voice made her jump. "That'syou in the picture up there?" She gestured to the mezzanine

Full marks to Shelley. Melissa forced a laugh. "I'm afraid so. Matt painted it when I was fourteen."

"But that's just so weird. You looked just like my sister when she was younger. Same hair colour and everything. Did a double take when I saw it."

My sister...

Taking another glance at the man, Melissa found herself unable to discern a reaction. Ruth had been right all along. He really didn't have a clue.

She swallowed, the burning sensation in her chest intensifying by the second. "Is she here with you?" she got out at last, having struggled to frame the question. How could she ask what she wanted to ask? How could she address even one of the thoughts whizzing through her mind? "Your sister, I mean?"

"No, not this time. Just me and Dad on this trip. We've been planning it for a couple of years now, ever since he told us all about Ruth after Mum died. So..." Her expression turned hopeful. "Is there any chance you could give us her address? It would mean the world to Dad."

"Shelley." Her father shook his head. "Maybe not now, eh?"

"Whynot now?" She stared at him in bewilderment. "We've come all this way, sat in a plane for twenty-two hours, spent another three hours driving here this afternoon—"

"Because I'm not sure that now's the time, okay? This poor girl—" he motioned to Melissa "—wants to shut up shop for the day. We can come back tomorrow."

Shelley shrugged. "Why come back when we can do this today? When we'rethis—" she squeezed her thumb and forefinger together "—close?" She swung back around to Melissa. "You don't really mind us asking, do you? All we need is her address, that's all."

"That's all, is it?" a familiar voice chimed in. "But what makes you so sure that she'd want to see you?"

Matt.

Whirling around, Melissa wondered whether she'd ever been more relieved to see him. He was standing beside Gemma at the back of the coffee shop, the half-eaten scone in his hand explaining why she hadn't heard him enter. No doubt enticed by the smell of Gemma's cooking, he must have come in via the back door to the kitchen.

"You see, I don't know if your father told you everything," he said, giving the scone to an agitated-looking Gemma before heading towards them, "but your father and my mother didn't exactly part on the best of terms."

To her credit, Melissa thought, Shelley didn't flinch. So she did know the full story. "He made a mistake," she said, her father wincing visibly at the word. "But your mother—" She frowned as Matt drew level. "You're Matthew?"

He nodded, moving behind Melissa and folding his arms around her. Over in the coffee shop, Gemma promptly produced a cloth and started wiping tables.

"Your mother told my father it was over, you see. That even though they'd been together for six months, she'd changed her mind. That—"

"Shelley." Her father sent her a warning glance. "That's enough."

She looked startled. "What? No, it isn't. Isn't this why we came back here? Look—" She turned back to Matt and Melissa, holding her hands palm upwards. "That all happened years ago. All water under the bridge, right? So why not have a bash at putting things straight?"

"Shelley."

"Because, you see, they were in love. Really in love. But when it came to the crunch, when it came to making a commitment, she couldn't do it." It was obvious Shelley was enraptured by the romance of it all. "That even though she'd promised she would, she told him she couldn't leave her husband."

"Shell..." Her father covered his face with his hands.

"And after that, she wouldn't let him anywhere near her. He was devastated."

"Devastated?" Melissa felt a hugely inappropriate bubble of laughter welling up inside her. "Was that what he was?"

"Liss." It was Matt's turn to sound a warning, his arms tightening. "Sweetheart—"

"You see, I don't get it," Melissa carried on, shaking her head. "That last time he tried to see her—" She looked up, but the man was still covering his face. As well he might... "When he went round to beg her to change her mind that night, she wasn't there." She shrugged. "Nobody home—well, except Matt and, conveniently enough, his seventeen-year-old babysitter."

"Lissy."

Melissa ignored her husband, glaring at Shelley now. "You just told me he loved her? That he wasdevastated?"

"Ah, but—" Shelley began, clearly uncomfortable now. "The thing is—"

"No, I'll tell you what the thing is."

"Lissy!"

"Your father was so devastated, he slept with my mother!"

It was like hearing a firework zoom high into the sky and knowing it had to explode. Waiting in mortified silence, Melissa couldn't believe what she'd done, that she'd been the one to voice those words. Worse still, she couldn't look away, forced to witness the dawning realisation on their faces as though it were happening in slow motion.

"Jane's your mother?" Straightening up at last, his hands falling away, the man's pale blue eyes locked on her own. "Suzie's sister Jane?"

Feeling the warmth of Matt's sigh across her crown, Melissa realised he too had been holding his breath. She nodded, biting her lip to keep it from trembling. And out of the corner of her eye, she saw Shelley's gaze suddenly narrow, then switch to the portrait on the balcony above.

Ruth had sworn that falling in love with another man had been the last thing on her mind when she came to stay at the farm with six-month-old Matthew that June. Exhausted from a constant stream of sleepless nights, no assistance having been provided by her increasingly distant husband Roger, she'd only accepted Suzie's invitation out of sheer desperation.

But then she'd met the young electrician Charlie hired to re-wire the ageing bungalow. Twenty-seven years old, happy-go-lucky and unfailingly optimistic about all that life had to offer, he'd been the antithesis of career-driven Roger. Within days they'd become fast friends, within a month they'd become lovers and by the third month, she was contemplating leaving her husband. To add to the thrill, their entire relationship was conducted in secret, a series of snatched moments and covert assignations, Ruth adamant Charlie and Suzie should remain oblivious to it all until she made her final decision.

It was when he shared his biggest dream she began to have doubts. He wanted to travel the world, a working holiday, moving from country to country as and when he earned enough money to do so. And it was a wonderful dream for a man in his twenties. It might have been a wonderful dream for a young couple too, a couple with no ties or commitments.

But not, Ruth decided, for a young couple with a baby. She'd grown accustomed to having Roger's money, to having a good standard of living, a comfortable home. True love was all very well, but the idea of never knowing where the next pay check was coming from, where they were going to stay or how they were going to live terrified her. It'd been almost Christmas by the time she plucked up the courage to tell him she couldn't do it.

He'd seemed heartbroken. He'd turned up at the farm again and again, begging her to change her mind. Afraid her family would guess they'd been more than friends, she implored him not to visit, but on discovering Charlie and Suzie were away for the weekend, he phoned to tell her he was coming round one last time on the pretext of bringing Matt a belated first birthday present. With flight tickets back to South Africa already booked, Ruth's reaction was to pay Suzie's younger sister Jane to babysit and flee into town.

Having left it three hours before she dared to return, she thought he'd be long gone. The last thing she'd expected was to find him in bed with Jane...

Shelley looked shaken. "So the reason you look like my sister is because..." She trailed off, staring up at her father. "Dad?"

He shook his head, seemingly unable to take his eyes off Melissa. "I swear I didn't know she was only seventeen. I'd met her a few times before, but she'd always seemed so much older. I didn't realise there was a ten year gap between Suzie and her sister."

Melissa believed him. She'd seen the photos of her mother at that age, heard Suzie say how much of rush she'd been in to grow up.

"And Iswear I didn't know—oh God..." He trailed off, shaking his head. "I swear I didn't know—"

"It's okay," Melissa interrupted, supremely grateful for the continuing support of Matt's embrace. "I know you didn't know about me. I didn't know anything about you, either. Not until Ruth told us a few years ago."

"And your mother... Jane?"

She swallowed. Why did it feel as though she'd had to tell him everyone was dead?

"I'm afraid she passed away a couple of years before Charlie," Matt answered on her behalf, dropping a kiss in her hair. "We had a rough old time of it for a while, Lissy especially."

"Lissy?" Shelley looked at Melissa curiously.

Matt's hastily-stifled laughter rumbled against her back. "Yes," she said resignedly. "My proper name's Melissa, but everybody calls me Lissy these days. Even my mother-in-law—and Inever thought that Ruth—"

But as the sound of the latch lifting reverberated through the gallery, she stopped, turning just in time to see the barn door opening, a miniature whirlwind flying across the floor. "Mummy!"

Scooping her up before she could launch herself into her mother's arms, Matt hoisted his giggling daughter on to his hip. "Well, hello," he said with a grin, ducking to enable the little girl to throw her arms around Melissa's neck. "Good walk?"

"Uh-huh." She nodded adamantly, smacking a kiss on to Melissa's cheek before straightening up to plant another on her father's chin. "'Lo Daddy."

"So what have you done with Grammy?"

"Matthew, do you mind?" Ruth's frosty retort cut through the air like a knife. "You know very well how much I hate that. It'sGrandma." But as she followed her grand-daughter inside the gallery it became clear she was smiling. "Lissy, it's quarter past five, dear. Well past closing time, isn't it?" she went on helpfully, tilting her head towards the visitors. "Unless of course, these people are wanting to make a purchase?"

"Ruth."

Mesmerised, Melissa watched Ruth's expression as she heard her name, saw her slowly turn around, her gaze settling upon Shelley before it shifted inches to the left. From beneath the mezzanine, Gemma also watched, having abandoned all pretence of cleaning tables, the damp cloth dangling limply from her fingertips.

"Alex," she said at last. "So you came back."

He stared at her as though he couldn't believe she was real. "I never wanted to go. Not without you."

Ruth didn't respond. Though she'd sounded deathly calm, Melissa could see her hands shaking. In the end, it fell to Grace to break the silence, squirming in her father's arms. The moment he set her down, she ran to her grandmother's side and tugged at her sleeve. "Are you aw-right, Grandma?" she asked, gazing at her with enormous blue eyes. "Who are these people?"

"Oh." Taking Grace's hand, Ruth crouched down and pulled her close. "Darling..." She paused. "This is a man who I used to know a long time ago. And this..." She frowned at the young woman standing at his side.

"I'm Shelley," she supplied helpfully. "In fact..." Melissa saw the sudden light of realisation in her eyes. "I think I might be your auntie."

Grace nodded, seemingly unperturbed to have acquired a new relative. She turned to give Alex a long look. "What'syour name?"

"Well..." Ruth twisted around to look at her son and his wife, the question in her eyes obvious.

And as Matt's fingers closed over her hand, Melissa slowly inclined her head.

Ruth held her gaze for a moment, the two women exchanging half-smiles. "I think maybe a proper introduction is in order," she said at last, straightening up and resting her hands on the little girl's shoulders. "Grace, this is your grandfather, Alex Parker. Alex..." She paused, lifting her head to look at him. "This is your granddaughter, Grace McKenzie."

Clearly bemused, Alex held out his hand. "Pleased to meet you, Grace," he said. But when she gravely curled her fingers around his palm, his face crumpled into an incredulous smile. "I have a granddaughter?"

"Ironic, isn't it?" Ruth said drily. "After everything that's happened, we still get to share a grandchild."

Alex's attention shifting from Grace to Ruth, the achingly poignant look that passed between them caused a lump to rise in Melissa's throat. If Ruth had only thrown caution to the wind and gone travelling with him, her life would've been completely different. Matt would have considered Alex to be his father. She and Matt wouldn't have spent every summer together at the farm with Charlie and Suzie.

But then, of course, Alex would never have slept with Jane, either...

"Hey," Matt murmured when Melissa shivered, turning her in his arms. "You all right?"

She smiled, deciding not to explain she'd just imagined herself out of existence. "Just a bit cold, that's all."

"It is getting pretty chilly in here," he agreed. "I vote we head back home and make some tea. 'Cos something tells me—" he nodded towards his mother and Alex who were still gazing at each other in speechless silence "—there's a fair bit of talking to be done." Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out his keys. "Grace?" He smiled when she trotted over to them. "Give these to Grammy—"

"Grandma."

Matt smirked "—and ask her to put the kettle on. We'll be along in a moment, when we've locked up."

"It's okay," Gemma called from the kitchen doorway as Grace carried the keys back to her grandmother. "I can finish here. I've got to wait for the last lot of scones anyway."

"You sure?" Melissa saw that Ruth and Grace were already ushering Alex and Shelley towards the door. "Because I never got around to cashing up. If you like, I can—"

"Just go." Gemma grinned, backing into the kitchen with a stack of trays. "See you both in the morning."

But as Melissa made to follow her family, Matt caught her hand, forcing her to wait until the barn door crashed closed.

"Well," he murmured, when the echoes had faded to perfect silence. "This is a turn-up for the books." He lifted her fingers to his lips. "You okay?"

Was she okay? Melissa took a moment to consider. "Actually, yes," she said, smiling up into his solemn dark eyes as he kissed her fingertips. "I know I probably shouldn't be. But right now I feel fine."

"And...?"

She grinned as he nodded down towards her belly. "Will you stop it? We're fine. I promise you'll be the first to know if we're not."

"I'd better be," he said, still grave. But then he shook his head, his expression softening into an incredulous grin. "Did you see the look on his face when he realised Grace was his granddaughter?"

She laughed, nodding. "What about the look on your mother's face when he said her name?"

"Oh, I've seenthat look before." He gave her a knowing smile. "You looked at me exactly the same way, that day in Archie's office when I turned up out of the blue."

"I did not!" she protested, groaning as he tugged her closer.

"Yes, you did. Like you didn't know whether you wanted to kiss me or kill me." Laughing at her attempt to look aggrieved, he smoothed back her hair then cupped her cheek in his hand. "God, it was beautiful."

"I should've killed you," she murmured a second before his lips landed on hers, his kiss slow and tender.

"But you couldn't." Matt looked amused. "You've always loved me."

Melissa closed her eyes as he wrapped his arms around her. "It's true," she conceded with a contented sigh, burrowing her nose into his jumper and breathing in deeply. "I'm clinically insane."

"Madly in love."

"Huh." But she was laughing again. "Do you think your mother's always loved Alex? Kiss or kill?"

Matt seemed to ponder her words for a few seconds. "I don't know," he admitted at last. "I think we're about to find out, though. Ready to play happy families?"

"Are you kidding?" Melissa drew back to shoot him a disbelieving look. "I've been ready my whole life."

He nodded, lowering his head to give her one last kiss. "Guess we'd better go, then," he said with a smile.

And sliding an arm around her shoulders, he steered her towards the door.

*

Thanks for reading. All votes and comments very much appreciated. :)

Lily

-x-

evanslily
evanslily
2,885 Followers
12