Back to You Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Oliver raised a finger, pointing towards his flat stomach, "It's all about balance my friend."

Matt bit down on his lower lip, examining the well-defined body underneath Oliver's tight shirt. He stared, careful not to look too long, but he couldn't help himself. It wasn't until Oliver snapped his finger in front of his face that he came back to reality. Oliver asked, "Earth to Matty. You wanna finish whooping my ass so we can head out? I'm over this game already."

Matt regained consciousness, teasing, "That's cause you're losing. If you were up, then we'd be here all day."

Oliver handed over a bright neon green bowling ball, "Shut up and bowl."

***

As Matt exited off the freeway, Oliver reached over and turned up the volume, singing along to the music:

Cause it's too cold, for you here

And now, so let me hold

Both your hands in the holes of my sweater.

Matt smiled, humming along to the tune. He'd look over at Oliver who was so consumed in the music, singing every lyric like his life depended on it. He'd missed this.

As the song faded out, Oliver lowered the volume, "Nice to know you still have good taste, man."

Matt chuckled as he pulled into the empty driveway. They both stepped out and Oliver looked at his watch to check the time. Matt offered, "It's still kinda early- my folks aren't due back for a few hours." He looked over at Ollie, bathed in the afternoon sun, "You wanna come up?"

Oliver was taken aback by the offer, happy to see that Matt was genuinely trying. He nodded, "Sure, man."

Oliver raced Matt up the stairs to his bedroom, weaving through the familiar hallway like he was just at this house yesterday. He looked back at Matt as he caught his breath, as if asking permission to enter. Matt nodded and the two of them walked in. A wave of nostalgia hit Oliver as he walked inside, wiggling his toes to feel the soft carpet through his socks. He exclaimed, "Dude, it's exactly the same as when we were kids."

Matt chuckled, resting his back on the closet door, "Yeah I guess I'm not that big a fan of change."

Oliver walked forward, picking up a small trophy at Matt's desk, "This is the participation trophy from our Little League days, yeah?"

Matt came up next to him, "Yeah it is. Haha I think my dad's still disappointed I didn't love baseball as much as he did."

Oliver caught sight of a postcard, tacked onto a corkboard above Matt's laptop. He pulled it off, "And this was from our fieldtrip to Muir Woods in fifth grade."

Matt leaned up and grabbed onto the postcard with Oliver, "We were so excited that we stayed up the entire night before at your place and were dead tired the whole trip."

Oliver shot back, "That was your fault! You said that we would for sure see a mountain lion! Meanwhile after three hours in the woods, we barely even saw a deer."

Matt laughed, shaking his head at how ridiculous the two of them were. He walked backward, resting on the headboard as Oliver turned back to him. Oliver rolled the chair forward, admitting, "I'm really glad we hung out today, Matt. It felt like old times again."

He leaned forward, patting Oliver's shoulder, "Me too Ollie, me too."

Oliver smiled back, "Hey is it cool if we reschedule meeting up for the project tomorrow? We're down a car and my mom's stuck in meetings all afternoon so I won't really have a ride." He did his best to hide the disappointment in his tone as he asked.

Matt made a face, "Wait, what happened to your dad's car?"

Oliver explained, digging his hands into his pockets, "It's in the shop all this week. It's an old car, so it constantly needs fixing up."

Matt shook his head, "Dude, why didn't you say something? Here, let me pick you up tomorrow and the rest of the week."

Oliver looked back, unsure of Matt's offer. They'd only just started talking again and he didn't want to impose. He croaked his head, "I don't know man- that's a lot to ask."

Matt quickly replied, "Dude we're practically neighbors. I have to drive past your house every day on the way back from school, so it's really no big deal at all."

Oliver stopped for a second before accepting, "Okay, sure." He added, "As long as you don't have to go out of your way- it'll only be for a week."

Flashing a winning smile, Matt settled it with a, "Deal." He looked at Oliver in front of him, suddenly aware of how close they were sitting. He breathed in the clean smell of musk that oozed off him, a scent so distinctly Oliver. Oliver took notice too, looking into Matt's clear blue eyes like it was the first time he'd seen them. He lowered his, watching Matt's well pronounced Adam's apple tingling, as if trying to find words to speak. But the two fell into silence, just looking at each other. They were so caught in each other's gaze that they didn't hear the car pull up the driveway beside Matt's.

Matt looked down to see their fingertips just centimeters apart on the soft comforter that dressed his bed. He could almost feel the warmth radiating off them. With every passing second, he was growing up enough courage to reach out and touch them, if only for a moment.

But just as he was about to touch the hands that were begging to be held, Matt heard a familiar voice shouting up from downstairs, "Matt, can you come down and help me with the bags?"

Oliver broke first, standing up from his chair and turning towards the door. He commented, trying to break the tension in the room, "Looks like your folks are home."

Matt snapped out of it, "Yeah, looks like they are. We should head down."

As Matt led them down the stairs, he heard his dad's voice, "We made it back early from Monterey and decided to pick up dinner. Hope you're okay with Chinese." Mr. Stevens looked up at the moment to see Oliver standing a few steps behind Matt. He raised his head, "Oliver? My god is that you?"

Oliver stepped to the side of Matt, heading down the stairs, "Sure is Mr. Stevens. Good to see you, sir."

Just then Matt's mother walked through the door with Katie just behind her. She beamed, wrapping Oliver into a hug, taking him by surprise, "Is that my little Ollie? Jesus you've grown! You're almost as tall as Matty over there"

Oliver found himself sandwiched between Matt's parents. He held out his arms with both of them on each side, "It's so nice to see you guys too."

Katie peaked through Mrs. Stevens's left leg, looking over to the stranger while cradling a dolphin plush toy. Matt called out, "Katie, this is my friend Oliver."

Oliver turned slightly and crouched down so that he was eye to eye with her. He caught sight of her deep blue eyes; they reminded him of Matt from when he was a kid. He waved, "Hey Katie. Man, the last time I saw you, you were still in diapers. You're so big now."

Katie waved back with one hand, not letting go of her new stuffed animal. Holding up a few fingers, she announced, "I'm gonna be seven real soon." Matt could practically hear the studio audience exclaiming, "Aww" in unison.

Oliver increased his pitch, "Wow. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get invited to your birthday party." Matt smiled at Oliver's interactions with her- he managed to work up enough interest without sounding over the top.

Katie answered plainly, "Sure, you can come. Matty never has friends come over."

Oliver laughed at Katie's matter of fact attitude, nearly falling back on himself. Matt yelled out from the stairs, "Okay Katie why don't you go and play?" Katie shrugged her shoulders before running off to the living room, waving goodbye to Oliver.

Mrs. Stevens turned back to him, "So Oliver, would you like to stay for dinner? We got enough to feed a small army."

Oliver chuckled, "That's very nice of you guys, but I'd better get going- my mom's expecting me."

Mrs. Stevens's placed a hand on her heart, "Aw, next time then. Please tell her we say hi. I really should have her over for coffee some time to catch up."

Oliver nodded, looking over to Matt as he watched from the stairs, "I'm sure she'd love that ma'am."

Mr. Stevens picked up the remaining bags of food and, turning to Oliver, commented, "Well it's real nice to see you again Oliver, hopefully it's not just the one time."

Oliver caught Matt's glance and replied, making sure Matt knew he was talking to him as well, "Not if I can help it."

Matt blushed slightly as his parents left the foyer and headed towards the kitchen. He walked down, pulling Oliver into a one-armed hug. "Sorry about the whole ambush."

Oliver shook his head, "It's all good. Your folks have always been like second parents to me." Matt stopped to enjoy the feeling for a second. With Oliver's body leaning into him, he couldn't help but feel complete. It was like having a long-lost brother rejoin the family, and he hoped that Oliver was serious about his words.

He let go, cursing himself for not stealing more of his touch. He remembered, "Alright so I'll meet you in the parking lot around 3:30. Is that cool?"

Oliver replied, "Yeah I have soccer practice after school, so I should be done by then. I'll text you if anything."

Matt stepped back, muttering, "Sweet" as Oliver stepped out the house. He made it to the driveway before turning back to see Matt waving him off as he turned the corner.

12