Baser Instincts Ch. 01

Story Info
A canine widower gets some new abilities...
6.9k words
4.54
16.8k
30

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 10/01/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was halfway through his lunch at the bistro that Kost realized the usual line cook wasn't there, and that was likely the reason why his sandwich tasted different. The wolf looked up from the half-eaten food on his plate, leaning forward over the counter to see who it was manning the diner's flat-top grill.

"Need something, hon?" Maggie, the bovine waitress ever-clad in plaid knee-length dresses, moved over to where he sat.

"Is Ivan working today?" Kost asked, tapping the thick French bread on his plate. The crunchy crust crinkled under his blunt claw.

"Nah." Maggie shook her head. "He called off sick, didn't want to spread it around. Is it not good? Want me to take it back?"

"No!" Kost picked up the half of the sandwich he was working on and took another big bite. The smoky, spicy flavor of kielbasa complimented with peppers and onions burst in his muzzle, and he chewed long and slow to savor every bit of the delicious mouthful. "It's good. Really good today."

Maggie smiled. "I'm glad."

Kost took another large bite as she left him be, and when she wasn't looking, slowly licking the sandwich juice off his fingers. It was incredibly rude, and he could practically hear the thwap of a nun's ruler on the edges of his hearing. But it was too good not to. What in the world was on this thing?

He lifted the top piece of the bread. Everything there was normal - meat, sliced peppers, diced onions, all partially cooked separately then combined in a single pan to simmer together before being slid onto the bread. Then he looked a little closer, and saw some manner of seasoning layered liberally over all the components of the sandwich. He lowered his head and took a sniff. It wasn't anything he recognized, but it smelled heavenly.

Kost devoured the other half of the sandwich quickly as most of the lunch crowd at Maggie's wrapped up and left, heading back to work or their day to day lives. Though he'd been coming here for years, and knew their faces, Maggie herself was the only one he talked to on a regular basis. He had little in common with anyone anymore.

His phone on the counter beeped. Twelve-thirty. Time to get a move on.

Kost wiped his muzzle on a napkin and pushed his plate further back from the counter, fishing a ten and a five out of his wallet and leaving them on the counter as he got up. For a brief moment, he craned his neck to see just who it was that was working behind the line that night. He didn't see any of Ivan's bearish bulk, only the briefest glimpse of a spotted tail on the corner of the window to the back. A cheetah?

No time to think about it. "See you tomorrow, Maggie!" he said as he turned to leave.

"Bye hon!" Maggie called as she hurried to a table with a fresh pot of coffee.

Kost only got halfway down the block outside before the summer heat had him panting. Every year it seemed to get hotter, or maybe that was just him getting older. That could probably be the reasoning for everything these days. His step faltered for a moment, but he kept going to where he was parked further down the block to the car dealership where he worked. At least it was Friday and he had the weekend off. Penelope was coming on Sunday for lunch, and from the rather brusque way she'd answered her messages recently she was probably having a rough week. It was his job, as her dad, to help her through rough spots such as that.

It only got hotter as he reached the dealership lot. The sun baked the pavement nonstop, the three feet or so above the blacktop shimmering with heat haze. Every salesperson who wasn't working with someone was clustered under the pop-up tent in the middle of the lot, sucking down all the water they could lay paws on.

"Hey, Kost," Randy said, the fox greeting him with a friendly wave. "Went to Maggie's?"

"Yeah," Kost said. "I would've invited you but you were working with those wolverines. Did they take the truck?"

"Yep!" Randy chirped, holding up four fingers. "We settled on four percent. They co-signed and got the lower rate. Their kid seemed happy."

"I don't blame him, that truck was a steal for the price," Kost said, getting a cup of water for himself from the cooler. His throat was feeling incredibly scratchy all of a sudden. Probably the broiling heat from the walk from the cafe back to the lot.

"No kidding, I..." Randy's ears perked up as a minivan pulled onto the lot, a family of muskrats emerging slowly out of it as if they were scouting for threats. Which, to be fair, Kost and his co-workers kind of were. "You want to take that one?" Randy asked, pointing at them.

Kost shook his head, sucking down the water as the feeling in his throat persisted. "You can. I need some more water."

Randy loped off with a spring in his step as Kost poured himself another cup of water. Then another. And another. Still the feeling persisted. He put a paw up to his throat, running blunt claws through the greying fur there. Nothing felt swollen, and there was no way it could be his tonsils, those had been removed forty years ago. A cavity maybe? Since when did cavities make your throat itch?

The minutes ticked by, as Randy led the muskrats off to the used car lot to look at a van and the rest of them stood waiting to help anyone that needed it or any new marks that pulled in looking for something. Kost kept sucking down water, his throat feeling more and more irritated as his head felt hotter and hotter. He blinked sweat from his eyes, feeling his breathing become more labored. Was he... no, he'd just been to the doctor last week and had gotten a clean bill of health, he couldn't be having a heart attack.

Maybe it was a panic attack. His daughter was studying psychology and she'd told him about them. They came out of nowhere and could floor you. He certainly felt off, and a more than a little panicked.

He turned and hurried out from underneath the tent, following where he'd seen Randy go with the muskrats. He found them behind the SUVs, Randy in the middle of an animated sales pitch. "So you see," the fox was saying, "if you spring for this one instead of this one you get more gas mileage, which is excellent if you're going to be..."

"Randy, can I borrow you for a moment?" Kost said in a low voice.

"Sure! Be just a moment, folks." Randy turned and came around to the side of the SUV that Kost was on. "What's up?"

"I'm not feeling so hot," Kost said. "Well, I'm feeling hot, but like... not in a good way." Haven't felt like that since Trish, he thought. "Can I take the afternoon? I'll be in early on Monday, I promise."

Randy's ears flicked and he patted Kost on the shoulder. "Kost, man, I know you've already exceeded your quotas for the month and we have a week left. Take the afternoon, come back fresh on Monday like normal, no worries."

Kost smiled at the other canine. "Thanks, Randy."

"No prob, old timer. Go get some rest." He patted Kost on the shoulder, then turned and loped back to the muskrats.

Kost wove his way through the lot to behind the sales building, where the employees parked. He unlocked the sedan he drove and got inside, turned on the car, cranked up the A/C, and cracked the windows to let the heat rise up and out. The fur on his face was drenched in sweat, and he rubbed it with his paws. What in the world was going on?

His house was a short drive from the dealership, and he kept turning up the air as he went. Despite the sub-sixty degree chill blasting him right in the face, his head still felt as though he was holding it right in front of an exhaust pipe with his muzzle open so it blew right down his throat. It was the worst he'd felt in over a year, ever since...

Kost clamped down on that train of thought as he pulled into the driveway of his house. As he stopped and turned off the car, he felt the world lurch underneath him. He took a few long breaths to steady himself, then got up and out of the car and went inside. The house interior blurred past him as memory guided him to his bedroom, to the king sized bed that now slept only one. He flopped down on it, not even resting his head on the pillows, and was out like a light.

Remember what you are.

Who are you?

I am the one who remembers. But what about you, my dear wolf. Do you remember?

I don't understand. Am I dreaming?

I don't know. Are you?

Kost woke without a start, his eye simply snapping open. He looked across the bed, at the mirror affixed to the top of the bureau on the left wall of the room. A frazzled looking middle-aged wolf stared back at him, his golden eye wide with the pupil dilated, his shirt wrinkled to a degree a dry cleaning might be warranted.

He sighed and rolled over, sitting up slowly and putting his face into his paws. All the unpleasantness from earlier was gone. His throat felt normal, his head no longer throbbing. All it had taken was a nap it seemed. Kost glanced at the clock, and his ears pinned back. A three-hour nap to be precise.

The wolf sighed and got to his feet, stripping out of his collared work shirt and tossing it in the hamper. Laundry would have to be done this weekend. Mentally he ran through a checklist of the other chores that needed doing as he padded across the hall to the bathroom.

He studied himself in the mirror carefully, looking for anything out of the ordinary. With Trish, it had all started with a lump behind her ear they'd ignored until it was too late. Kost wasn't about to take any chances. He tilted his head this way and that, running claws through his fur as he checked every inch of himself, even going so far as to open up his mouth and angle it so the light shone down his throat. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Kost sighed and leaned on the sink, staring at himself in the mirror. "Just relax," he implored himself. "You deserve a weekend off."

His ear flicked as he heard a knock at the door. After a quick moment to determine whether or not he looked decent enough - emphasis on enough - he left the bathroom to answer the door.

Kost took a breath to steady himself, then opened the door with a single pull. "Hello, Gabrielle."

Gabrielle was one of the few humans who lived in their predominantly fur neighborhood, an older woman of Puerto Rican heritage who served as president of the local homeowner's association. She was... nice enough, but incredibly anal about the association's standards and requirements. Kost had lived next to her for thirty years, yet despite them both being empty-nesters, had never managed to have a conversation with her that could be described as friendly. Most barely cracked cordial. Not even Trish had been able to to mollify her frosty demeanor.

"Kost, hi," Gabrielle said. She was wearing business clothes, likely for doing work in her home office. The button up shirt was tight across her ample chest, her the curve of her hip highlighted by the sheer black skirt she wore. She hadn't even put on more comfortable shoes to make the walk over, still wearing wedge heels. "Might I come in for a brief moment?"

Kost sighed and held the door open wider. The rare occasions where Gabrielle had something positive to talk to him about, she never needed to leave his front porch. Every time she'd asked to come in, it was never good news. She'd seen a lot of the inside of his house the past year.

She breezed past him, her shampoo tickling his sensitive nose. Coconut, much more natural than some of the artificial smells that plagued the scent isles in department stores. Her heels clicked on the terrazzo floors as she stopped in the middle of his living room and turned to face him. "Didn't I ask you last week to mow your lawn?"

Kost looked out the window. The green expanse of his lawn was looking a bit long and wild, weeds springing up in small bunches here and there. "I think you did, yes."

Gabrielle sighed and looked out his window as well, her green eyes reflecting the sunlight. "And yet..."

"Right."

"Please, Kost, understand that I'm not doing this to be mean to you," she said. "I know it's been rough since your wife passed. But I think that maintaining your home will help you maintain some semblance of the normality you're missing."

Who is she to know that? Some dark part of his brain seethed with anger at her. Who is she to even think she understands how much this hurts? She divorced after two kids and five years, how could she possibly...

The wolf took a deep breath to steady himself. Where had all that come from? "I suppose..."

She looked at him again, then blinked and narrowed her eyes. Her nostrils flared almost imperceptibly. "Did you do something with your fur? It looks rather lustrous today."

Kost looked down at himself. Lustrous wasn't exactly the word he'd use to describe the state of his fur. "Maybe?"

"And why is it so hot in here?" Gabrielle turned and walked into the kitchen where the thermostat was. "Aren't you dying in here?"

As she did, Kost's eyes dipped lower, until they were fixated on Gabrielle's shapely rear. He knew that she did pilates, or yoga, or one of those body exercise programs, and it kept her in great shape despite her age. There was a delicious swell pulling the spandex skirt taut, with a zipper along the side undone by just a tiny bit. All of a sudden, Kost was filled with thoughts of grabbing that zipper and yanking it up, seeing more of her than he ever had before.

She's only human, a voice whispered in her mind. You've forgotten. About what it was like before. Before all you would have to do is put her in a corner and she would submit to your will in moments. But now you're soft.

Kost blinked. The voice had been his, but the words weren't. He would never speak like that of any woman, much less a neighbor he'd known for decades.

He hurried after Gabrielle into the kitchen. She stood in front of the wall thermostat, her face pinched in confusion. "It says seventy-two, but it feels like eighty." She made an irritated noise and undid the top button of her shirt, fanning the collar against her neck. Her brown skin glistened with sweat, and she swallowed, and the flexing of her throat just about made Kost drool.

What are you waiting for? His own voice sounded alien with the sinister slither it echoed with inside his mind. She's there. Make her submit to your will, she's already responding. You're predator, she's prey. Her cunt can belong to you with the barest effort of will.

Kost made a strangled noise. Who is this? What are you?

There was a pause, then an irritated sigh echoed in his head. Forget it, let me just show you.

A splitting headache bored through Kost's head. His ears snapped back against his skull, his ears ringing like he'd been standing behind a roaring supercar on the lot for an hour with no ear protection. He whined and clapped a paw to his forehead, squeezing his temples and screwing his eyes shut.

Just as fast as it had begun, it ceased. But when Kost opened his eyes, his world had been turned on its axis.

Every color in the room popped out, more vibrant than they'd been a moment ago. The soft, normally drab off-white of the walls was so much richer, like liquid ivory. The blue tiles on the counter backsplash were the color of the sky, and Kost could see dust motes flitting in the sunbeams through the window curtains. Before his eyes, a band of soft golden color lazed by like a cloud.

"Kost?" Gabrielle asked. "Are you okay?"

Oh, since when had her voice been like that of an angel? The human woman, attractive as she was normally, low looked like a goddess. Her brown skin shimmered, the sweat on her neck and face dappling her head in colors and patterns that only now could he discern. His nostrils flared, and he smelled her, the coconut of her shampoo, the jasmine of her body wash, with an undercurrent of mouth-watering feminine musk. How long had it been since he'd smelled something like that? He could see it radiating off her, the cloud highlighted a shimmering gold.

"I..." he panted, his heart hammering in his ears. "I think so..."

For a brief moment, her nostrils flared again. A curious look entered her eye, a playful gleam that Kost couldn't remember seeing in all the years he'd known her. "Oh God, it's really hot in here," she said, fanning herself. "All of a sudden you... oof..."

"Yeah, I..." Kost took an involuntary step towards her, then stopped, feeling as though he was yanking on a leash, his body on one end and his mind on the other. He felt something against the inside of his thigh, and it took a moment for him to realize it was his cock, growing longer and thicker by the moment. "You smell really good today, Gabrielle."

"Thank you," she murmured, flattening herself against the wall. Her eyes were fearful, yet her body language only radiated desire. Want. She'd never acted like she had any interest in him before. What had changed?

You have, the voice in his mind that sounded like him yet wasn't whispered. Because now you remember. Submit.

"Yes..." Gabrielle panted.

Kost realized he'd said the word aloud. "Wait... no..." he panted.

"Yes," Gabrielle said. She reached up and undid the buttons on her shirt with shaking fingers, one by one, until she gave up around the last two and ripped the shirt open. The buttons bounced off Kost's chest as they tore free. A soft whine escaped the wolf's throat as more of her beautiful skin was revealed to him. The shirt had only been restraining her chest, her ample bosom rising and falling in time with her rapid breathing. She wore a modest, plain black brassiere more concerned with practicality than teasing, but just seeing it was enough.

He took another step towards her. "What's happening?" he muttered to himself.

"I don't know," Gabrielle said, hooking a finger into the cup of her bra and tugging on it gently. "Do you care?"

Kost stood still for a few moments, fighting with all his strength to keep his body in check. He failed. It had been so long.

It felt like one moment he was standing apart from Gabrielle, the next, he was right next to her, his paws grabbing her shoulders roughly as his muzzle sought her lips. Their kiss was rough, impassioned, his broad tongue sweeping across her mouth as if to unlock it. Gabrielle mashed her body into his, her breasts against his chest as she kissed him back, whimpering and mewling in a way that reached deep into some primal part of Kost's brain and only wound him up tighter. He pushed her back, until she was pinned against the wall by his body. His paws shoved her shirt down her body, finding a nice place on her hips to grab and hold her still.

"God, I fucking love you wolves," she murmured, breaking away from his muzzle to bury her face in the fluffy fur on his chest and inhale deeply, like she was taking a hit of a drug. Her paw cupped him through his pants, fingers curling and squeezing gently. "So big and warm."

It's your place to, his voice said. To give yourself to me when I will it. To submit to my desires.

"And what are those?"

Kost had long given up trying to parse whether the words were coming from his lips or the inside of his head. On your knees, human. Worship me.

Gabrielle mewled in bliss as she dropped, mashing her face into the crotch of his pants. Her fingers undid the button and drew his zipper down, allowing Kost's impressive cock to slip free. Her eyes widened. "Fucking God..." She nuzzled up and down the length of it, the touch of her fingertip feather-light. "Bigger than most of those ones who do porn, even..."

Enough talking. The wolf grabbed her head firmly and pressed it into his pulsing erection. Pleasure me.

"Yes..." Her lips parted, and the first touch of their softness upon his sensitive length was like the first time it had happened all those years ago - strange, wonderful, and utterly delightful. Her fingers curled around his cock, gently stroking him as her lips kissed the tip. Her tongue lapped the pre leaking from him with quick flicks that made Kost weak in the knees. Then she went lower, and he had to brace himself against the wall as he felt himself surrounded by the wet warmth of her mouth.

12