Battle for the Known Unknown Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Paul smiled affectionately at Beatrice who he'd had no difficulty at all in fitting a reciprocal bracelet onto her wrist. However, he was startled to see that his wife's expression was quite different to what he'd expect on a woman who was about to get married. Rather her keen-eyed and alert face would have been more appropriate if she were about to go hunting (an activity as illegal in the Socialist Republics as it was disapproved of in Godwin).

Then, with no warning, Beatrice suddenly pushed Paul down onto the velvet-carpeted floor. At the same time there erupted a deafening bang and a slow-dying echo.

"What the fuck!" he yelled, as his head fell onto the bridesmaid's delicate shoe. And then: "Shit!" when he realised that the shoe and the foot inside it were not attached to a body at all but terminated in a bloody stump.

It was then that he adjusted his senses to the confusion of sound and brilliant light that accompanied his fall while he was still in Beatrice's tight grip. The bridesmaid wasn't the only casualty in the explosion. Comrade Smith's head was also lying on the ground. It was still attached to her shoulders but singed at the bosom and the stumps of her arms. The extreme heat had been enough to cauterise her wounds, but a thin trickle of blood was seeping out from her ears and mouth.

Paul looked about him which was quite difficult since his nose and eyes were very much at floor level. There was more yelling and a great deal of it was nothing more than a series of expletives. He turned his head towards the congregation of which he could mostly see only feet, but many of these were splattered with blood.

"Get up!" said Beatrice urgently, as she dragged Paul up onto his feet.

"Run!" she ordered as she grabbed him by the hand and pulled him towards a side-door that like everything else was much larger than it needed to be.

Her command couldn't have come sooner.

There suddenly came another explosion that propelled Paul and Beatrice through the side-door with tremendous force. The newlyweds fell onto the well-trimmed lawn outside the temple amongst fragments of broken marble and polished wood. Miraculously, Paul's only injuries were mild abrasions and scratches while Beatrice had escaped with nothing more than a coating of dust and dirt.

"What the fuck's happened?" Paul asked with real agitation and terror.

"There's been an assassination attempt," Beatrice said, comparatively unruffled and with remarkable calm. "It was one of the guests. Fourth row. Eighth chair on the right. She had some kind of plastic laser gun. She's still in there, but by now she'll be dead after she set off the explosives that were strapped around her waist. I think she also killed a significant proportion of the other guests."

"You saw her and saved me just in time?" guessed Paul.

"Yes," said Beatrice, with an amused smile that was as strangely inappropriate as her expression of alertness had been a few moments before. "What just happened was exactly like that."

12