Battle for the Known Unknown Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Paul was aware that the longer he and Beatrice stayed in Schmidt the more testing it was for his guardians. They'd become ever more twitchy as the days passed by. It was equally as awkward for the government officials who were disconcerted by how little their honoured guests observed the protocols expected of distinguished representatives of the Interplanetary Union. Although nothing was said to Paul, he suspected that complaints might have been made elsewhere. But as official protocol were such an abstract concept to him, he was sure there wasn't much to worry about.

As he and Beatrice prepared to leave on their last morning for a flight to the Earth orbit ship, the Ulysses, it was Paul's wife who made the observation that had been in his mind all the time.

"I can't imagine that our stay in Schmidt has done President Ronald any favours," Beatrice said.

"You don't think so, darling?"

"How much do you know about diplomacy and statehood, my sweetest?"

"I think I know what the words mean."

"Are you sure you do?" Beatrice wondered. "I'm not so certain. I don't think you've bothered to follow the news at all while we've been here, have you?"

"Well, I've watched the news on SSBC," said Paul, referring to the Solar System Broadcasting Corporation which mostly concentrated on news of a interplanetary nature.

"Not local news, I bet," said Beatrice. "There's been some diplomatic friction between the Interplanetary Union and the Schmidt Republic. The President doesn't believe that the Interplanetary Union is taking the republic's petition for recognised statehood seriously. There's been some delicate negotiation about the price rises the colony intends to impose on its chief export..."

"Pornography, you mean?"

"What else is there? Do you think this sordid outpost in the Jovian Asteroid Belt could export anything else of value to the rest of the Solar System? No names are mentioned, of course. We are on a secret mission after all, my sweetest. But offence has been taken. I don't think the reports sent back by sweet Yuliya and that stiff prude, Sergei, will in any way progress Schmidt's case."

"It does seem to be a peculiarly accident-prone place."

"Doesn't it just! I don't think our farewell committee will be nearly as dignified as our welcoming one..."

"So no speeches?" said Paul.

"I'd be very surprised if the departure of the shuttle to the Ulysses was accompanied by nearly as much celebration as our arrival from the Molotov. So, you're almost certainly right. No speeches."

"Well, that's something to be grateful for," said Paul sincerely as he kissed his beautiful wife.

12