Beauty and the Geek Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
steamoil
steamoil
78 Followers

"Can I help? Please?" I pleaded.

This time she laughed out loud. "Yes. I think I need your help as well, or I might give up again."

"Can I take you home?"

A shadow passed over her face. "Not this time, please. It's too soon."

I called her a cab, and gave the driver a note that I hoped would cover her fare. Despite not being able to take her home, I was walking on air, and my grin must have split my face from ear to ear.

It was actually three weeks before we managed shopping. The next weekend Angela was away, and the following one I had a commitment I couldn't break. I'd told Angela why I was coming. She was used to me bringing in the occasional lame duck, knew not to mention price, so wasn't surprised until I told her my upper limit.

Angela whistled. "My my. This girl must be important."

I grinned sheepishly. "She is to me, but knowing my luck I'll blow it."

"So tell me about her."

I was happy to oblige. Her eyebrows rose when I mentioned that I had told her she was one of my lame ducks. But her only comment was that it sounded promising, and that she could probably do three or four outfits for the amount I was prepared to pay.

Angela grinned at me as we entered the boutique. She was wonderful, as I had known she would be. It seemed they might become friends, and I felt a bit of a spare part. I was glad about the likely friendship, though, as Angela and I got on well together.

The outfits were wonderful. The first was a floor length black strapless sheath that showed off her figure to perfection. I couldn't take my eyes off her. It was matched with a beautiful petrol blue three-quarter sleeved shrug jacket with scalloped edges. I thought that was the surprise, until I realised that although it was superbly cut to look like a dress, it was actually trousers, and that the inside leg flashed petrol blue as she walked.

The second was very like the man's evening dress she had worn at the concert, except it was more obviously an immaculately tailored women's suit. The sculptured cream blouse managed to look quite demure whilst hugging her figure, but it was the tiny line of red silk sewn to the outside seam of the trouser leg and round the lapels of the jacket that made it very special. Until the jacket was unbuttoned, when you realised that the whole thing was lined with the same red silk. Surprise!

The other outfits were more casual. Black jeans, for tucking into elegant knee-length boots, matched with a silk blouse. A skirt and jacket combination worn over a skin-tight jersey.

We left the shop with so many bags that I had to return for the final few. Angela thrust two rectangular velvet boxes into my hand.

"These go with the two posh outfits. The four outfits together came to much less than you said, and these use up about half the rest, if you want to give them to her. Have a look at them, and return them if you'd rather."

I thanked her and she handed me a bag to hide them in. She winked at me and wished me good luck. I hid the bag with the jewellery, for that's what it had to be, while I put the rest of the shopping in the back, and got into the car.

"Where to, Princess?"

"I think I need to be gay."

My head snapped round to look her in the face. She grinned mischievously.

"To Julian's."

I laughed. "You got me there. I'm normally quicker than that!"

Angela had discussed footwear, and especially the type of boots that would enhance the jeans best, and could be worn with the skirt if appropriate. With some advice and guidance from Julian, we bought the boots and two pairs of shoes for the other outfits.

As we got back into the car again, she commented, "I do like your friends. Julian is a poppet and very knowledgeable too."

I smiled at her. "We could have them round for a meal?"

"Isn't Angela married?" It seemed like an innocent question, but I wasn't sure.

"No. She had a bad experience a few years ago, and immersed herself in the business."

Her smile broadened, and I knew I had been right. "You look like you're planning something. Who is it?"

She laughed out loud. "My brother. I think they'd get on rather well. In fact, I'd be prepared to put money on it."

"Why are you so sure?"

"Actually I'm not! It's just a hunch. I really liked her, you see."

I didn't, and said so. She was puzzled, then her face cleared and she explained.

"My brother is my twin. It's a fair bet that if I like someone he will too."

"Oh wow. Is it true what they say about twins – that they know what the other is feeling?"

"I guess it must be, because he phoned me this morning to ask why I was happier." She was laughing at me, and it was a glorious feeling.

"What does he do?"

"He's a sculptor – a good one actually. He was very lucky. One of Dad's business associates stayed with us, saw his stuff and gave him a huge commission. It was large enough and prestigious enough to make a reputation, and he hasn't looked back."

"And you compare yourself to him and come off worse." It was a statement, not a question.

She frowned in concentration as she considered what I had said. "You may be right. He just says he was very, very lucky. And he wished luck for me too."

She looked down. Then I could see her out of the corner of my eye, looking up at me shyly. "I think I may have found my luck."

I swerved slightly. "Oh God. Please don't bank on me so much. I may not be able to help." I was terrified of such high expectations.

She put her hand on my arm. "I'm not. You've already changed me. I know you'll back me up. That's all I can hope for. In fact everything I could hope for." Her voice was serious. The combination of the depth of her voice and her hand on my arm had me shivering. It was too soon, so I changed the subject.

"Where am I taking you?"

She looked puzzled. "Home, of course."

"I don't know where that is."

I started when she told me. "But that's my boss' house?"

She laughed. "Didn't you know I was the boss' daughter?"

"No, I didn't." I thought for a moment. "Who else in the firm knows that? Not that it makes any difference, but I'd rather it wasn't known."

"Are you ashamed of me?"

"Not in the least. Inordinately proud to be with you."

"Then why don't you want it known?"

"Oh." I suddenly realised how it sounded. "Not because of you at all. I'd love it to be known that I'm going out with you, it's just that I'd rather people at work didn't know I was going out with the boss' daughter."

"Oh." It was her turn to realise what I was saying. "You just don't want work colleagues to think you're being treated in any special way."

"I'm afraid people are very suspicious, and I'm already one of the higher paid."

We sat in silence for a few miles while we reflected on the ills of mankind. I had a sudden thought. I banged my forehead in exasperation.

"I'm supposed to be bright. I'd seen you at the work parties. I'd seen you at work. You'd told me you'd never had a job, and I still thought you worked at the firm in some capacity. When we passed through the people at the party on the way to the buffet, I was surprised there weren't any ribald remarks about my appearance. Then you didn't need a lift. So many clues. It should have been obvious that you were the boss' daughter!"

"Hey! Don't beat yourself up."

I smiled as I drew up at her house. "I've enjoyed today, and I'm glad you like the clothes."

"We need to start on the job front. When are you next free to do that?"

"Tomorrow?" I said hopefully.

She looked at me and coloured slightly. "Am I that important to you? Or is it that you don't have a life outside work?"

It was my turn to colour up. "Actually? Both."

She laughed, and we got out. I helped her in with the bags of clothes.

"Pick me up tomorrow about eleven?"

"You can count on it."

On the dot of eleven I was outside the house. She came out wearing the jeans outfit with the boots. Her hair shone in the weak sunshine. Her face glowed. She looked stunning. And I told her so. She blushed slightly.

"I couldn't resist wearing them. They make me feel good."

I was pleased. I was also wondering when to give her the jewellery, but it was for the posh outfits, not this one, so perhaps it wasn't the right time.

We went to a coffee shop I knew in town, found a settee to sit on and ordered coffee.

"What's in your briefcase, Mr Geek?" She asked.

"Research on music jobs."

"You're not serious?"

"Very. It's why I have a good track record with lame ducks, remember?"

She laughed. "OK. Let's see what you've got and merge it with what I know."

We worked hard for about three cups of coffee, which equated to more than an hour of heavy concentration.

"You know, I think you did most stuff when you were serious about this before. In fact, I think it's only worth trying these three jobs. If they don't yield anything with the immaculate look, then we should re-think the strategy."

She smiled at me. "Thank you for that vote of confidence. It's comforting to know that I didn't miss anything."

We worked on getting the applications sorted and discussing interview technique. She was pretty good at it, and only picked up on a few points. We ordered lunch and ate as we worked. I was getting pretty despondent, as I could see that the difference I was making was actually marginal. I would have to do some serious thinking, as this obviously needed a completely different approach. An hour or so after lunch, we called a halt.

"How about some fun now? We've worked pretty hard for a Sunday! What do you fancy?"

She looked at me consideringly. "Hmm. Are you up for a walk?" She looked at my jacket and tie, and my polished shoes. "Across the fields to a little village where they serve cream teas?" She was grinning.

"For you, anything." I was both serious, and apprehensive.

My shoes were muddy. There was mud on my trousers. And I was unbearably hot in my unsuitable clothes. She was swinging on my arm. Chatting. Singing. Laughing at me. I didn't know whether to be grumpy or ecstatic. I went for ecstatic. It was her. I couldn't stay grumpy in the face of her enjoyment.

"You know what, Mr Geek. We need to go shopping. But unlike you, I don't have an Angela, so you'll just have to be guided by me!"

I looked at her in dismay. "But when I tried before, it was a disaster."

"But this time you've got advice. Did I blow you off on my clothes?"

I shook my head.

"Then don't blow me off until you've seen what we can do."

"Fair enough. How about next weekend?"

So it was fixed. I was to be un-geeked. I was worried.

Shopping with her turned out to be so much more fun than on my own. The things she chose were very different from what I might have selected. Perhaps that's why they worked! Some stuff was a bridge too far, but I ended up with three casual outfits from jeans up to smart casual. Amazingly, I felt good in them.

"Where am I going to keep my cards and pen?" I joked.

She grinned and punched me on the arm. Then she whispered in my ear, and I went bright red.

We invited Angela and Julian for a meal in my flat. The night before she rang me.

"James is at home tomorrow. Can I bring him to meet you?"

"I'm glad you asked. Bring him to dinner. To meet me, or to meet Angela?" I asked.

I heard the smile in her voice. "Both, of course."

We shopped and cooked together. I didn't realise it could be such fun.

Just as she had predicted, Angela and James hit it off immediately. It looked to me like that thing you hear about – love at first sight. I heard a lot about James from Angela over the next few weeks whenever I talked to her on the phone.

Of the three applications we eventually sent off, two generated auditions. That was a really good start. We discussed outfits for the two auditions and ended up matching the two smart outfits, one to each audition. On the morning of the first audition, I came early to take her to train. She looked wonderful, and I handed her the rectangular box that went with the outfit. She opened it.

"Wow." She gasped. "When did you get this? It's beautiful, and goes so well with the outfit!"

"Angela picked it out for me, and I hid it amongst the other bags on the day we went there. I kept it because I wanted to give you something on the day of the audition."

"You sly devil. But thank you." She reached up and gave me a kiss.

My arms automatically went round her, and she clung onto me. I realised that all kisses up to this one were of no account. I was so happy, and I never wanted to let go. It appeared she might think the same, but eventually we broke apart, slightly breathless.

"Thank you." I breathed.

"You're welcome." She whispered, obviously similarly affected.

Once again she came second. She was the most immaculately dressed there. They had commented that her playing was as good as the winner. But they didn't want the jazz bit.

The second audition was a week later. This time I took her to the audition in my car. I gave her the second box of jewellery in the car. We kissed again. It was just as good, and I felt again that I never wanted it to stop. As we parted, I whispered,

"Marry me."

"Say that again."

"Marry me. Please."

She smiled a slow smile. "Yes."

"Yes what?"

She gave me another toe-curling kiss. "Yes. Please."

She skipped off to the audition, but came out slowly looking crushed. I knew before she told me. It was what I had expected.

"You came second again."

She couldn't bring herself to smile or speak. She just nodded.

"Let's go and get something to eat before the drive home."

While we ate, I talked. "Listen. I expected this might happen. And so did you."

She looked up and nodded.

"I've been thinking about it because I expected it."

Her expression lightened a little. Perhaps the hint of a smile? "I knew you would, Mr Geek."

I grinned. "You are part of an amazing chamber group."

"But it's all voluntary." It was a closing statement.

"Yes it is. But it's also good and does something no other group does. And I think we should build on that instead of looking for gold at the end of somebody else's rainbow!"

She started to look interested. "How can we build on it using amateurs who already have jobs?"

"Well, I thought we could go for fees for weekend concerts to start with. Once we've built a reputation, perhaps then we could start to use casual musicians to take the place of amateurs who can't make events outside the weekend. We'd be able to pay them out of the fees. As the fees grow, we could afford to employ more and more parts until eventually the whole group is paid and it becomes self financing."

"That sounds like a lot of work, a long time, and would need a very astute business manager. Musicians are not renowned for their financial acumen, you know!"

"Initially, you and I could manage it. When the fees start to build, so will the work, so we could employ a business manager."

"You know, with you behind me, I think it might even work." Her face had lightened.

"That's why we had to shut the door on jobs with other orchestras and groups. Otherwise it was a mad plan."

She grinned. "That's my geek."

"Come on, let's go and buy a ring to seal the real deal."

I dropped her off at home. Not very much later she rang, bubbling with excitement.

"Did you know that Angela and James were getting together today?"

I didn't.

"You'll never guess what happened!"

I couldn't.

"They got engaged too! We got engaged on the same day. I'm so happy."

Over the next few months, we worked hard to get the members of the chamber group on side. Quite a few of them were in the same position; they couldn't get a musical job, so they did something second best for money, and played in the group.

I showed them my draft web site, and they came up with a few wonderful ideas, including a ring tone store of things they played, and branded baseball caps. This would be added to the purchase site I was proposing to sell CDs, and small items like pencils, pens and mats that would also act as advertising. I'd incorporated a registration system so that we could generate mailing lists.

Julie and I got married not long after the first fee earning concert. We had all decided that it should be a double wedding. So appropriate for twins. The chamber group played for the wedding, and that got us some leads as well. We left those with the principal oboe, who turned out to have good business sense and was therefore our deputy.

We went off for our honeymoons. We almost went to the same place with Angela and James, but in the end decided it would be better to be in different places. I was so nervous. And excited.

We were exhausted when we arrived after a long hot journey. The place was magnificent, and, after a quick freshen up in our room, dinner was magical. When we'd had a third cup of coffee, I finally admitted to myself that I was delaying. Julie grinned mischievously.

"Are we going to stay at this table drinking coffee all night?"

I felt myself blushing.

"It's OK. I know you're nervous. I know you think you messed up with your other girls. But, my dearest Geek, this is me, Julie, and I love you." Her voice changed pitch slightly. "I've got a surprise for you!"

I looked up. I was wary of that wide smile and the twinkle in her eyes.

"You remember when you described my taste in clothes to me after that concert? You remember saying 'I bet your underwear matched too'? I put it on for today – something old – especially to show you. If you remember I promised I would when I knew you better."

I blushed and smiled. "You're amazing."

"You're not so bad yourself! And stop looking like you're going to the guillotine. This is going to be fun. It's something we discover together. It doesn't, fortunately, rely on either of us being experts." She smiled a little secret smile at me that made me feel good.

I took her hand, and we left the restaurant. As we went up in the lift, I put my arm round her, and she leaned in for a delicate kiss. We walked down the corridor to our room arm in arm, and I felt a certain peace. She showed me the matching red underwear. Then I showed her that I had remembered too, also wearing red underwear.

Despite my nerves, actually we had a ball. I should have known because we worked so well together.

****************

The chamber group web site went live shortly after we got back. I pre-registered all those who had expressed interest up to that point, and sent out a mailing announcing the web site and our second concert. We were also busy recording the CD and ring tones.

We worked out that we needed to arrange some concerts in the local area to get momentum, so I added a ticketing system to the web site, and we hired four halls in local towns. Julie and I were pretty busy getting local businesses to put up posters. We'd designed one poster carrying the dates and locations for all four concerts, so hopefully there would be some cross-fertilisation.

The first concert barely covered the cost of the hall. Two were good, and the fourth was packed. I did some impromptu research amongst the audiences, and learned a few things about concert management that moved us up a notch for the next concerts. We also picked up some good leads at the last concert for future work.

The following year the chamber group were pretty busy. We managed to pay a small performance fee to all the players for each concert now, and we were on the cusp of employing a business manager. It was either that, or give up my job to do it! Julie and I had discussed that as an option, but came to the conclusion that it was better for us if I wasn't tied in to the precarious world of music.

We were asked to play in a two concerts and do a children's educational concert, all in North Wales in the summer. It's beautiful and remote there, and we were keen to go. It was a big expense getting the chamber group up there for a week, though. After a lot of discussion, we agreed on the basis that we would all treat it as a holiday, and do the concerts on the back of that. We were to be so glad about this decision throughout our lives.

steamoil
steamoil
78 Followers