Because of the Night Ch. 16

Story Info
An unavoidable 'good-bye'.
802 words
4.64
9.1k
00

Part 16 of the 18 part series

Updated 10/26/2022
Created 09/03/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Come on in Leif." Glen encouraged him to enter.

"Want anything to drown your sorrows with?" Sir Marcus tried rye wit to make the cloud hanging in the room lighten a bit, but there was no use disguising the topic that had been holding them all at bay.

Leif stayed in the doorway. "If you are going to take her, take her now."

Sir Marcus put down his glass. "We're still talking about it. And I'd shut that door if you want to be a part of the conversation." Leif closed the door but skulked in the shadows.

"Mr. Leif is right Sir Marcus. Best you take her now." Prompted Lady Daire.

"Why are you of all people so interested to see me take Taylor back?" Sir Marcus picked up his empty glass, the comfort of something in his hands helped ease his mind.

"I have my own reasons Sir Marcus."

Glen raised his eyebrow as if to begin to question Lady Daire, but she caught his questioning gaze. "You'll learn in due time Sir Glen. Rare is the opportunity to proceed into a situation and know the stumbling blocks that will be encountered."

"Where is Taylor?" asked Sir Glen finally.

"She's in the dungeons preparing a room for Lady Daire." Answered Leif. He swallowed hard from the shadows.

Sir Marcus looked to Sir Glen, and the held each other's gaze not wanting to really find the questions or know their answers.

"Let's get this unpleasantness over with Marcus." Sir Glen finally announced. And both men left the room through the back passage, neither wanting to see Leif's face.

Lady Daire closed her eyes. "I am sorry Leif, but we need time if we are to keep her from returning to Sir Colin. And with that being true, you might not necessarily be safe."

A warbled, strangled answer came from the shadows by the fireplace. "I know."

Just as Leif had said, Taylor was overseeing the preparations for the dungeon that Lady Daire planned to use when Sir Marcus and Sir Glen came up to her. Just watching her as she placed all the instruments Lady Daire had requested on the table, both knew just how far this companion had come.

Once they had her attention, Sir Marcus began. -Is the lie worse than the truth?- "Sir Glen and I have been discussing your future Taylor." He forced himself to continue and at least skirt around the issue. "We've both decided that it is no longer in your best interest to remain with Sir Glen. You will return with me tonight."

Taylor blinked, floored by the information she had just been given. She had known of no happier time than these past weeks with Mr. Leif. "But what about Mr. Leif?" she stammered as she tried to digest the 'bomb' she had just been handed.

"I'll take care of Mr. Leif." Assured Sir Glen. "This cannot be avoided Taylor. Circumstances have changed. You always knew you would not be with me forever."

Taylor gulped trying to force back the tears and bowed her head. "Will I have time to say goodbye?" her voice warbled as a whisper.

Sir Marcus closed his eyes praying that Taylor could not see him shatter with such a simple request. "We're leaving now Taylor. There is no time."

A small voice came again from the girl in front of them. She turned to Sir Glen, tears brimming in her eyes. "Did I do something Sir Glen?" She looked frantically between her mentors for an answer. They both traded guilty looks.

Finally Sir Glen put a hand on her shoulder. "No Taylor. We just think it is time for you to return to Sir Marcus." He smiled as he drew a tear from her cheek. "Now, dry those tears little one. It is not goodbye; it is the interim between journeys. We will see you again."

With a choked sob, Taylor nodded. "Come my dear." Came gently from Sir Marcus and she followed, looking back only for a moment. She paused at the door.

"Please Sir Glen, tell Mr. Leif..." she trailed for an instant. "Tell Mr. Leif I wish I could have said 'goodbye'."

Sir Glen nodded and tapped his cane on the stone floor, prompting her to scurry after Sir Marcus.

When he had heard the entry door to the dungeons close, Glen turned to the stare blindly into the torch that gleaned against the thick walls deepening the shadows. -God save the man that takes Laurie from me.- he thought wondering how Leif found the courage to see Taylor go. Glen shook his head and headed from the dungeons. It would be negligent of him if he allowed Leif and Lady Daire to be alone in the same room at this very pivotal moment.