Becky's Marine Ch. 07

Story Info
A visit, paintball, big news.
8.7k words
4.83
19.5k
25

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 10/22/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is it, the final chapter. Hope everyone enjoys.

***********

Chapter 7

I sat in the reception office of Dr. Klein, having checked in a few minutes earlier than the email suggested. The room was like many others I had been in, with joined chairs covered in floral designs, end tables with magazines that nobody ever really reads and landscape art screwed to the wall. The receptionist was an older lady, probably in her 60's. Her grey hair betraying the extensive makeup she wore to hide her age.

As I sat there, my mind began to wander, thinking of all the times I had spent in offices just like this, with doctors who would smile and nod, taking notes in thick books, looking at me over their stereotypical horn rim glasses. My hands became clammy, my forehead beading with sweat. I really hoped this time was different.

Dr. Klein opened the door to the back, smiling and laughing with the patient he had just finished with. To my surprise, he was nothing like what I had expected. He was tall and thin, wearing a striped polo shirt with khaki pants. From what I could tell he was young, no more than 30.

"Andrew?" He asked, as if there was anyone else in the room. His voice was higher pitched than I was expecting, but I guess my expectations had been wrong so far.

"That's me," I replied, standing. We shook hands before he led me back to his office.

I was met with another surprise, no couch. In its place was a pair of large plush armchairs covered in dark cloth. Taking in the room, I saw several bookcases full of books, and not just of psychiatry. Interspersed were classics such as The Illiad, Moby Dick, and various works of Shakespeare. What really caught my eye was his large volume of the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft.

His desk was cherry oak, with a small computer, several pictures and a phone. Artwork covered the walls, making the room feel homely and nice. On top of a low bookshelf was a shadow box, containing a folded American flag, various medals and a Hospital Corpsman patch.

"Well doc," I said with a laugh. "You've surprised me."

"How so?" He asked.

"I was expecting the usual stuffy office of most psychiatrists, not something more like a home office."

"Thank you. I try and keep things as normal as I can, it helps the patients to settle in and get more comfortable. Helps them to open up."

"I see you were a Corpsman."

"Yes, 8 years. Saw duty in Iraq three times."

We chatted about our experiences, mostly focused on mine, with him telling tales once in a while. I knew this session was mostly about building trust, something others hadn't tried to do. I really began to respect the man, his time overseas was much like mine, both of us serving in a shitty environment with borderline incompetent leadership.

"So, how do you feel?" Dr. Klein asked me.

"About what?"

"About this therapy?"

"You haven't scared me away yet," I joked. "Honestly though, I think this will help."

"Good. I don't follow a formal method with PTSD patients, as each case manifests itself differently. I do however, have some homework for you."

"OK, shoot."

"Anytime you have an episode, I want you to write down the trigger as best you can remember. From there, we can devise a plan for treatment."

"I don't know doc, that's an awful lot of work," I joked.

"I'm sure even a Marine can do it," he shot back.

"Ouch, you cut me deep there doc."

We shared a laugh, heading for the door. He showed me out and called for the next person, who sat quietly in the waiting room. On my way home, I stopped and got a small notebook and a box of pens.

As I pulled up to the house, I noticed a car parked on the street with Wyoming plates. We live quite a long way from Wyoming and really don't know anyone out there aside from some operators at the Sinclair refinery in Rawlins. I was nervous as I walked to the door, not knowing what to expect. I opened the door and heard a familiar voice as I entered.

"Hell, its about time you showed up."

"Ronny Tyler," I said with a smile. "I thought you weren't getting in till tomorrow morning."

"Plans changed," he said, hugging me. "We caught an earlier flight."

"That must be your rental car out there then."

"Just as observant as always. How you been?"

"Good man, just got back from my first therapy session."

Tyler's jaw hit the floor. "Holy shit, I thought you'd sworn off therapy?" He asked, astonished.

"The boss of me said I should go," I said, hanging my head for dramatic effect.

"Who's the boss of you?"

"That would be me," Becky said, coming in behind me. "Hi Tyler."

"Hi Becky," Tyler said with a smile. "Is he treating you right?"

"Of course he is," she said, hugging him.

"If I don't, she'll beat my ass," I added.

"So I've been told," Tyler said. "Where's Carl? I was hoping to meet him."

"Work, slaving away for the man. He should be home around 6."

"Damnit. Oh well."

"Tyler, who let you in?" Becky asked.

"Your sister. Her and Ryan are talking in the back room."

"Good, I was hoping they would hit it off," I said.

We talked for a while, Lauren and Ryan not making an appearance until almost dinner time. The two were laughing and joking, acting like old friends. It made me happy that they had hit it off so well, and by the way Becky was smiling at me, I think she felt the same.

Dinner was spaghetti and ravioli with meatballs, Carl's favorite. If you ask him, he will tell you my mother's is his favorite, but I have heard him say that about many peoples food. We ate, with Tyler and Carl dominating the conversation, the two having heard a lot about each other and really getting to know each other.

"So what's the plan?" Tyler asked.

I looked from Becky to Carl, both had the same look I did.

"Smokey's," Becky said. "Definitely Smokey's."

"What's Smokey's?"

"Our locally famous watering hole. You'll love it," I said. "Drinks and music and maybe a fight or two. It's right up your alley."

"Hell, I'm down. Ryan, you in?"

Ryan had been fairly quiet since he had arrived, speaking only a few words to anyone but Lauren. It was borderline creepy, but I wasn't going to say anything yet.

"Are you going?" Ryan asked Lauren.

"Of course, Smokey's is the best place in town. You'll love it, I promise."

"OK, I'm in."

"Great, get cleaned up. Carl and I will take care of these dishes and we will go when we're ready," I said.

"I'll help with the dishes," Tyler offered.

"Nope, we got this. You're the guest, you go get ready," Carl said.

Tyler looked to me for support, but there was none to be found. He knew how I felt about guests doing work, but I was surprised that Carl had beaten me to telling him no. Guess my manners were starting to rub off on him.

"Fine, usual bar attire is fine?" Tyler asked, defeated.

"Yeah, presentable but casual. Your usual."

Tyler went to get changed while Carl and I cleaned up. Around the halfway done mark, Carl went to go shower and change, having gone straight to the dinner table when he got home.

Lauren and Becky were the first ones out, both wearing short dresses and boots. When I had finished putting the leftovers away and started the dishwasher, I went to hug Becky.

"You look ravishing," I said as I held her.

"I know, there is a method to my madness," she said before kissing me.

"There is?" I asked jokingly. "I thought it was just madness."

She smacked my arm before shoving me down the hall. " Go get changed," she said. "Its getting late."

"Yes dear," I replied as I went to change.

Smokey's was relatively quiet, being a Sunday night. There were a few groups around the bar and several scattered ones around the pool tables and booths along the far wall.

"Don't look like much," Tyler said.

"It isn't, but its home," I said. "Welcome to the south."

We found a table by the bar, ordering drinks and chatting. Carl went outside to call Jeanna and Becky went to play darts with some regulars, so me and Tyler went to go play pool, leaving Lauren and Ryan to continue talking.

"Seems Ryan found himself a girl," Tyler said as I racked up.

"Sure looks that way," I said. "Hopefully things work out for them."

"I sure hope so, I was starting to suspect he was gay," Tyler laughed.

"He could do well with the ladies, if only he weren't so damn shy."

"Yeah, nothing we can do about that."

An idea formed in my head, it was a long shot, but it was so devious and evil, it just might work.

"Maybe we can," I said with a smile.

"Oh no, I know that look. What do you have planned?" Tyler asked.

I didn't respond, the idea had taken hold, I was trying to figure out how to make my plan come to life when Carl walked up.

"Jeanna will be joining us in a bit," he said before seeing my face. "Oh god, what are you planning?"

"Ryan must be broken of his shyness, his walls torn down and the shell he hides in completely destroyed," I began. "I know just how to do it."

"Go on," Tyler implored.

"That device on stage plays music, displaying the words so one can sing the song."

"I'm familiar with a karaoke machine jackass."

"Yes, but this isn't like singing in the shower. This is singing in front of people, people who will judge you."

The lightbulb came on in Tyler's head. "Which will help to break him."

I just laughed, it was such an asshole thing to do, but it had to be done. We finished our game, Tyler easily beating me, before heading back to the table. Becky joined us all at the table, bringing a fresh round with her.

"Join me for a smoke?" Tyler asked Ryan and I.

"Sure," I said. "Come on Ryan."

Ryan looked reluctant to leave, and it wasn't until Lauren shooed him off that he actually went. We stood outside the door, Tyler handing us each a cigarette and passing his lighter around.

"So Ryan, seems like you and Lauren have really hit it off," I said.

"She's amazing," he said, looking off to the middle distance. "Her face, her hair, her laugh, her caring nature, all of it."

"Sounds like someone's in love," Tyler said.

"I very well could be."

As we talked Jenna pulled up, stopping to hug me on the way inside. Tyler looked at me with a bit of surprise and confusion, as if he had seen something so abhorrent and yet so perfect all at the same time.

"Who was that?" he asked.

"Jeanna. Her and Carl have been dating for a while now," I said.

"You uh, ever think of hitting that?" he asked.

"Been there, done her, not doing that again."

"Oh, and why not?"

"I struck a nerve with Carl. I value his friendship too much to throw it away like that."

"OK, I can understand that."

"Drew," Ryan said. "How exactly would I go about getting Lauren interested in me?"

"I think she already is bro," I said.

"I mean, how do I tell her?"

"Well, you have a few options. You can either tell her flat out, or use the power of music."

"Music?" Ryan asked.

"Music is reflection of self."

"I don't follow," Ryan said, looking puzzled.

"Think about it, when you're sad, do you listen to upbeat, happy music, or sad songs?"

"Sad."

"And when you're pissed off, do you listen to something happy, or some 'smash your head in' metal?"

"Good point. I never thought about it like that."

I smiled, the idea taking root, my plan coming to fruition. All that was left was to figure out what he would sing.

"What do you generally listen to?" I asked.

"Rock, metal, hip hop, rap," he said.

"OK, you'd probably get run out if you tried to play rap or hip hop here. We can work with rock though."

"OK, you think this will work?"

"Motherfucker please, of course it will."

We went back inside, Jeanna introducing herself to Ryan and Tyler. I sat next to Becky and smiled an evil smile. She leaned in to kiss me, whispering in my ear when she had broken the kiss.

"What have you done?"

"You'll see my dear, you'll see."

Ryan was going through his phone, checking for the perfect song to sing for Lauren. I could see the tension on his face, carefully scrutinizing each song to find that special one. His eyes flashed what looked like defeat, but I couldn't be sure. I had to help the poor guy out.

"Tyler, let me get your pack and lighter," I said. "Ill buy you another one tomorrow."

"You're gonna smoke that whole pack?"

"No, just to replace what I take."

He handed me his smokes and lighter, I took it and turned to Ryan. "Lets go suck a paper dick."

He looked at me with the most mortified look. "Do what?"

"Smoke man, lets go smoke. I need to talk to you."

"Oh," he said with a sigh of relief. "Ok, I'm coming."

We went back outside, his mood a bit more dour than earlier. We talked as we smoked, mostly about how he felt about Lauren and his taste in music. When he listed some bands he liked, it clicked in my head.

"I got this, go be lovey dovey with Lauren," I said.

"You sure?" he asked nervously.

"Oh, I'm sure. Trust me, I won't embarrass you."

"I sure hope not."

"I just pick a song, you have to sing it."

He went a bit pale, the thought of singing in front of the crowd finally getting to him. I had felt the same way before and knew that look all too well. We put out our smokes and headed back inside, only to be met by Lauren as we entered.

"Ryan, could you give us a minute?" Lauren asked.

"Sure," he said, continuing on inside. Lauren pulled me over to the edge of the building, making sure there were no prying ears.

"I like him," she said. "Can I keep him?"

I laughed, "You know, he may act like a lost puppy, but be is still a human."

"I know, I just don't know how to approach the subject."

"Sing," I said bluntly.

"You know, that just might be the answer. Thanks."

"Of course it's the answer, I gave it to you."

She gave me a dirty look. "Since when are you so smart?"

"I'm always smart, y'all just don't ask the right questions." She smacked my chest and laughed.

"Ok smart guy, what should I sing?"

"Sing what you feel. Do you want me to pick your song?"

She had to think for a moment. "Sure."

"OK, I'll fix you two up, but only because he is a quality guy."

"Thanks," she said, hugging me.

We went back inside, her to the bar for the next round while I went to the DJ to pick out some music. I flipped through the book of songs, mostly country with some oldies mixed in. Ryan may be out of luck, unless he knows the lyrics by heart.

I chose a song for Lauren, one for me, one for Tyler and one for Ryan. I had Ryan go last, mostly so he wouldn't feel too embarrassed. Tyler got a song because, well... Tyler. If he didn't deserve it then, he would eventually.

I returned to the table, standing behind Ryan. I leaned down to whisper in his ear.

"Do you know Skillet's 'whisper in the dark'?" I asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"I have it on my phone. when you go up there, you won't have lyrics."

His eyes went wide, his face pale. "What happened?"

"They have country or oldies, that's it. If you know the words, the DJ will play whatever as long as it is provided."

"I'm not sure about this anymore," he said.

"Don't be scared, Tyler has a song too. A most embarrassing one at that."

"I don't know."

"Lauren will sing first, then me, then Tyler, then you. If after all that, you still don't wanna do it, then don't."

"OK," he said sullenly.

Lauren was called to the stage first, the crowd applauding. She sat on the stool and sang her song, 'Deeper than the Holler' by Randy Travis. Her eyes never left him, her expression one I had never seen before. To me it seemed things were moving kinda fast, but hey, what do I know.

When she finished the crowd cheered, but none more than Ryan, who could easily be heard over the couple dozen people who were there. I looked at him, seeing new fire burning within. Something had happened to him during her performance, and we were gonna see it shortly.

I was up next, singing 'The Buffalo Grass' by Chris Ledoux. I had to have the DJ play it from my phone, but I did it, and it was well received. Most of the people knew the song, with several singing along.

Tyler was up next, laughing when he saw what he was gonna sing. I will give him credit, he sung the shit out of that song, going as far as dancing along with it. When he finished his rendition of 'Man, I feel like a woman' by Shania Twain, he got quite the applause.

Ryan went to the DJ before his turn. I was afraid he had decided to back out, but I was wrong. When the music started to play, I knew he had changed his song.

"My chances weren't good she was way out of my reach

How could she ever fall for some ol' boy like me

But here she lies, asleep tonight, in these arms of mine

And that goes to show, angels fall sometimes."

"She's been here long enough to see that I'm no saint by now

Every mornin' I wake up surprised to find her still around

The love she, gives to me, could be no truer sign

Every now and then angels fall sometimes."

I looked at Lauren while he sang, the tears rolling down her face a clear sign he had chosen well. I was actually surprised that I hadn't thought of this song myself.

"She brings prices of heaven, everyday into my life

She's my inspiration, with her by my side, I'm not afraid to dream high."

Ryan was singing only to her, as I had done so many times to Becky. Deep down, I felt like I was watching me, all those months ago, seen from the view of an outsider. The pride that I felt for him was immense.

"The love that she, gives to me, could be no truer sign

Every now and then, angels fall sometimes

Yeah, I thank the Lord, angels fall sometimes."

Ryan finished to quite the applause, far more than anyone else got. I probably should have told him that folks around here would rather hear someone singing to the one they love, than hear them sing some worn out old tune that's been played a million times.

As he returned to the table, Lauren got up, hugging and kissing him. The two became inseparable; holding hands, kissing, whispering sweet nothings to each other. I could only smile, knowing I had a hand in creating it.

-------

Ryan and Tyler had been here for a week, doing all the odds and ends that we could. We went shooting, spent several nights at the bonfire, fishing, hell we even went to Dollywood in Tennessee. I had several episodes, mostly while shooting, but nothing major.

We sat in the living room, watching TV and relaxing, when Ryan came in from the back room with Lauren in tow. He was smiling a smile I had never seen before.

"Holy shit, did you two finally have sex?" Tyler asked brashly after seeing Ryan's face.

"No, not yet," he said with much disappointment. "We had an idea."

"And, pray tell, what is this idea?" I asked.

"Paintball."

The same smile found its way to Tyler and I. His idea was good, and it reminded me that someone had suggested it once a while back, but we never went. Without another word, I called Carl.

"What's up?" He asked.

"Tomorrow we go paintballing," I said.

"OK, I'm down. Want me to invite Jeanna?"

"Of course. However, we still need one more to make the teams even."

"We can find one more unlucky bastard to go against us. Or we can play Marines against civilians," Carl said.

"Three of us against you guys wouldn't be fair though."

"Last time I checked, you were a civilian."

"And I'd like to keep it that way. OK, we will figure it out later. Let Jeanna know we go to war tomorrow."

"Will do."

I called Becky and told her. She was so excited she could barely focus the rest of the day. When she got home, she hugged and kissed me, interspersed with boastful comments and mockery, as if she had already won.

Dinner was parmesan chicken and potatoes, Lauren making it taste even better than when Becky had made it. I began to wonder, after Tyler went back looking for thirds, if she had put crack in it.