Bending the Rules Pt. 02: Connection

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That actually works?" Nuru said.

"For a little while... long enough. I don't have the juice to animate them enough to move like a real puppet for any length of time, unless they're mostly intact already. Not just for kicks, anyway."

"And you ask them first?"

"Oh yeah, we have a little chat, like I said. I ask them if there's anything I can do for them before they go. Most times they're too scared, even facing death, to do any more than kiss. But a few want as much as I can give them in the last stage of their life. I consider it an honor."

"Don't some of them send messages to loved ones?" Nuru said. "That's what the acolytes do, right?"

"Sure, I do. And yes, acolytes of any of the twelve gods do that, it's the sacred duty and the Daily Quest for every paladin."

"Twelve gods? I thought there were six."

"Six for the High Factions, six for the Low."

"How come I've never heard of these Low Factions?"

"Oh, you have, they just call it something else. Chaos Factions, among other things. Stupid name, you can't have an organization based on chaos, by definition. But that's the High Falutin Factions logic for you, constantly missing the point," Dayo said.

"Don't get her started on that. She's usually quiet but she'll rant for days about politics," Mesi said.

Dayo skewered her with a glare. "You're one to talk, about talking a lot."

"Wait. So you can only join one faction, and you can't leave through the main gate. How do you join a... Low Faction?" Nuru said.

"Oh, it's not hard," Mesi said. "All these quests around, they give you a clear objective. Retrieve the Sacred Widget. Recover the Magic Doodad. Slay the evil Whatsisface. You know how it goes."

"Sure," Nuru said.

"All you've got to do is stray from the path," Mesi said. "Just explore - maybe give up the quest reward to the Dungeon Boss. I mean you don't normally just fall in a hole and land in Low Faction territory, you've got to make some kind of choice. But defy the order of things, and soon enough you find another way to complete the quest, and it points you in a new direction. Before you know it, there you are."

"Something like... making a pact with a demon," Dayo suggested, giving Nuru a piercing stare.

"Well, uh... hmm. Interesting. I guess I'm not the first to rebel against the system."

"No, although I must say, that kind of thing usually happens at a MUCH higher level. Keep an eye out for those paladins, they'll PvP the shit out of a Level Two for taking a pact with a demon. And that would be such a waste."

Mesi broke away and started walking back to town. "You know, this is super fascinating, but I have to get back to work. See you later, Nuru! Love you, Dayo!"

Dayo waved to her and blew a kiss. "So. I'd better be going too. Got some things to take care of, and then a quota to fill. Good meeting ya."

"Hey do you... wanna adventure tomorrow?" Nuru said impulsively.

"What? Travel with you? What kinda quest you on?"

"Haven't got one. Considering my options. Seems to me you've got a lot of things I'd like to know. I'd be traveling with you, more like."

"Don't be expecting another porn show. I respect the privacy of my clients."

"No, no, nothing like that. I just have so many questions."

"Alright. Meet me back at the hut at... oh, about this time tomorrow. Certainly no sooner. I might even be late, I just got up early today so I could catch Mesi on her break if she brought you over."

"Late riser?" Nuru said.

"Not a morning person. Also, I can't go harvesting souls if they haven't had a chance to die yet. But I can't wait too late and let the ghouls eat them either."

"Right. See you then."