Bending the Rules Pt. 11: Jealousy

Story Info
Dayo leaves broken hearts and broken plaster in Nuru's wake.
8.9k words
4.77
7k
6
0

Part 11 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/31/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

8819 words.

Thank you all for constructive feedback, lessons are being learned. Most recently: there is a limit to the writing axiom "show, don't tell." I'm also trying not to let mechanics get in the way of telling the story, but the genre lends itself to a different balance of that than I'm used to, and didn't plan for. Hopefully it's only getting better from here.

Not based on any particular gaming franchise or storyline.

Keeping my fingers crossed, so I can keep them off the ret-con button. I hate that button.

*****

"I do 'goth look' best, but we're going for more subtle I'd think. Just change the lines of your face enough to be hard to recognize."

Dayo took some time working Nuru over, gave him a cloak, then themselves changed into mid-calf black pants and a tight purple shirt that did nothing to hide their energetic poise and that pale vitality that made Nuru's mouth water. Topping it all off was a wide-brimmed purple hat with a thin veil all the way around that gave just a hint of mystery.

"There. Your mother might recognize you, but nobody else will, I bet," Dayo said.

"I don't know if she would, either."

"Ah. Yes. Sorry to bring that up."

"Don't worry. I mostly mean I don't think she'd have envisioned me ever being in this position, not that she's dead and doesn't know me anymore."

"But I'm sure she'd want the best for you. Let's do her proud and get you back on the questline, eh? Metaphorically speaking, I mean."

"Right. And I've probably said this before but... sorry if I slip and call you a 'she.' It's harder to look at you like this and not automatically think that."

"I know, I've brought it on myself. But the less we look like our selves from before, the harder it will be to recognize you, and this is unfortunately the easiest way for me to contribute."

"You look great though, please don't think I'm complaining, because I'm not."

"Thank you," Dayo said, failing to hide a blush.

It wasn't quite dark yet as they headed out.

"Very busy that shop, last few days," Dayo said. "Got a line out the door sometimes."

"I've noticed."

"I know what you're thinking: instead of standing around, sneaking in the back door is faster. Don't do it, though."

"So, what, I'm gonna just wait in line like everybody else?"

"Yes. Do you trust me, Nuru?"

"Yes, but..."

"Well, now you need to decide just how far."

"...OK. Yes, I trust you."

"You're no thief. You won't slip in the back without getting noticed. Paladins have eyes everywhere right now."

"Damn. I guess it wasn't a coincidence last time."

There were only a few people left at this hour. He didn't have to wait too long, but a couple people got in line behind him.

"Yes, how can I help you?" Makena said.

"I'm here to claim my quest proceeds."

"Are you? I don't recall - name?"

"Nuru," he whispered, leaning forward.

Makena did a double-take; Nuru held a finger to his lips.

"Oh! Sorry, I- ah, yes. Hiding from the fifty percent bonus giveaway, still? It's over tomorrow."

"...That's the reason, sure."

"Of course it is... nothing illegal to get my business in trouble, so I don't have to call the authorities, right?" Makena chuckled nervously. "I'll just settle your account; here's your currency. And here's some EXP. Very few have brought your prize in yet, and the other commissions have been pretty small, so that's how it balanced out yesterday. I'll have to tally today's transactions for you tomorrow, it's picked up a bit more and quite a few are in progress. Lots of fresh Level Elevens want a good set for facing the bigger world for the first time. Not that I haven't already got one, but... you know."

"Yeah, I think I do. Not bad."

"Wait 'til the higher-levels catch wind. I'm sure it won't be long, with all the excitement lately. Of course, a bunch of them are probably out looking for you to get their bonus."

"You made it sound like there was a lot more for me."

"There was, before your promotional expenses. I wanted to make sure you didn't think I was trying to cheat you, since I'm the one keeping the books. I'll go through the whole transaction log when you're ready."

"Of course. I'll wait until everything's settled down. Maybe tomorrow."

"So long, uh, loyal customer!"

*****

"Alright, last thing for today. Tell me about the spells I can buy from your faction, and we can go pursue your quests tomorrow," Nuru said.

"We'll have to ask Onyekachi about the full list. I don't remember all of them offhand," Dayo said. "What I do remember is that they're expensive. Most of them aren't meant for Level Four."

"Rats. No getting around that, I suppose."

"Not unless you can do quests intended for that level and take that as you turn your quests in instead of the EXP reward. Considering the reward is usually proportional to the difficulty, most people can't pull it off."

"That's not going to work for me either."

"But there's a few. Your basic elementals - Flame Spray, Ice Spear, Wind Gust, Liquefy Earth. A few faction-adjacent ones like Death Speaker. And of course Soul Extract so you don't have to return a whole body to release them at the altar."

"Alright, so what's the pitch for your faction?"

"What do you mean?"

"You're recruiting, right? Why would anyone want to join? Why did you?"

"If she tries to kill me, tell Mesi you asked. She probably won't believe me."

"She won't be that mad, will she?"

"Nuru, I... let's just say I wanted her to join once. We fought. It still hurts sometimes. You saw how defensive she got the other day."

"Oh."

"I mean, yes, I'm exaggerating. A little. But I don't want her to have the wrong impression, it might open some old wounds."

"I see. I'm still curious, but I don't want to get you in trouble."

"I'm caught between a rock and hard place on this one. So, I'll just give you the facts, and you do what you will with them. The way I think of it is, factions are these groups you sign up to, and permanently dedicate yourself - not just the group, but the principles. Masego, the High Faction archon - he's all about the secrets of magic, developing new spells, and such. The Brotherhood use magic as their focus. Carry mana potions, scrolls, enchant all your equipment to the highest degree, that's their strategy. Their quests test the limits of what magic can do. Inquiry and risking everything to learn something new is what they're known for, and what you expect when you sign up. I don't recall who Masego is empowered by as an archon, I believe it's a couple gods not just one.

"Adisa, by contrast, is a reconciler. His archons empower the healers and negotiators of the world. He doesn't turn anyone away, regardless of faction - well, the High Factions anyway; Low Faction members have to prove themselves in some way to receive healing powers; sometimes you have to swear an Oath of Radical Change to be healed by an opposing party on your deathbed. His Order of the White Lily faction advises leaders from all corners, and while you don't need many of them here, they do a lot of mediation out past that Level Eleven+ gate. They provide healers to all parties for a nominal fee and cut of the proceeds.

"I know you've heard of these, I'm just drawing a contrast here. It's easier to explain what Tumelo's Chosen do by framing this against the background you already know. Tumelo has observed that, over the course of history, the lessons of previous generations are eventually lost. Those Wise Old Ones who came to learn the 'perfect truths' as we call them - they grow old, and like everyone else, they die on their hundred-and-first birthday anniversary. All of their knowledge, all their grace, loses some essential part; we build statues to those we revere, but those grow old, and eventually crumble. Language changes, and we no longer read the books with the same understanding as that with which they were written. Oral traditions are corrupted, and their essence lost. Eventually we have all but forgotten the things they had to teach us, and must learn them again. The best way, he believes, to maintain the beauty of logic and principle, is to preserve those champions who are incomparably insightful on some aspect of what it means to be alive, sentient beings. What we do, in essence, is search for the means to grant immortality to those select few."

"Wow. So what made you join? You believe all that?" Nuru said.

"Oh I had no idea about any of it at first. It was a much more practical decision for me: they had the freedom I wanted, and made me feel like 'one of the guys,' you know? Like being born with ovaries wasn't some kind of curse, just a little inconvenient once a month."

"Freedom, what kind of freedom? All the factions can get you out to the wider world."

"The freedom of pursuing my own build. Onyekachi doesn't care what skills or spells I take, as long as I get the job done, unlike what the High Factions tend to do; there's a lot of pressure to conform to a particular archetype so you can form a party with predictable capabilities, but we Chosen tend to work alone at least some of the time, and when we do form groups it's a looser sort of alliance for a particular purpose. I mean, some of the other Low Factions mostly don't care either, but I can't stand any of them. Joining the Chosen just... felt right."

"And so, what kind of builds do your Faction abilities make possible?"

"There's lots. Hang on, I have a thought. Maybe this will help."

"We're going back to your Faction HQ?"

"Right. I just need authorization to share a few things, and then..."

"Yes?"

"Then maybe you get a demo."

*****

"So, what did he say?" Nuru said.

"I can show you, but I can't really explain. Which works for me," Dayo said.

"Ooh, really?! I thought they, uh, frowned on you letting loose around here."

"They do. So I need you to swear an Oath of Nondisclosure. Bear in mind, if you break it, I am obligated to personally hunt you down and... yeah. Just don't do that."

She handed him an Oath Template.

"It's apparently pretty standard, or else he was expecting this to happen," Dayo said. "I haven't seen Onyekachi this excited in awhile."

"Did you ever take one of these?"

"No. I heard the pitch and I was on the quest line, just like that. Signed up immediately."

"Ah. Well, looks fine to me, so here goes."

Nuru swore never to reveal any details about Tumelo's Chosen faction abilities, assets, locations, or other business outside of the faction. If he were forced to reveal it, he would have to report the information given and make restitution at an official Faction post or to a high-ranking officer.

"Who are these officers, anyway?"

"The only one I can tell you about is Onyekachi himself. The others will identify themselves to you with a Rune Coin. Like this, but fancier."

Dayo pulled out a pendant that housed a worn, indecipherable engraving.

"!Tona Asirin Da Ka Zaba Dayo!"

The coin went completely black, and a rune the same purple shade as the Level Up script from the altar appeared on it.

"That is possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen," Nuru said, jaw dropping.

"This is pretty basic. Higher level officers have runes that... well, you'll know who they are, trust me." Dayo put the pendant away.

"So, where to?"

"How do you feel about wrecking some goostriches?"

"Those big, mean, ugly birds?"

"Bring Jaheem, we'll have a blast."

"Are they good eating? Nobody would ever say."

"Pretty good, I hear. Eggs are about the size of your head, make a great breakfast. Drumsticks for days, literally."

"Sold. Let's do it."

"Just a word of warning. They're Level Six, but don't let that fool you; they can swarm you even if you're higher than they are. They can't fly but they move fast. Do _not_ try this without backup."

"I know, they told us all about that in school. Probably why they wouldn't tell us about eating them. Didn't want us getting tempted."

"Just making sure."

"Jaheem! How come we didn't go goostrich hunting?"

Hrrn rahrf

"Eh? Ah heck.!Fassada Girma!"

Hrrn rahrf

[You don't run fast enough.]

"I've got a friend this time."

Jaheem roared ferociously.

[As will I. We eat well tonight!]

"That's the spirit," Nuru said.

"Say, can you separate one out from the flock for us, maybe wound it? I've got to keep one in good condition to show Nuru something," Dayo said, rubbing to get color back in her face.

Grunts and snarls

[We lead them away, one will stay with the eggs]

"We?" Nuru said.

"What?" Dayo said.

"One will be left by the eggs, he said." Nuru explained.

"What's that about 'we'?"

"That's what I want to-"

"Nuru, look out!" Dayo pulled Nuru behind her.

"Ouch! Oh hey, it's Tusa."

"Who?"

"Jaheem's son. Good to see you!" Nuru said.

"Whew. I was really worried for a second."

Tusa growled.

[Who is this now, father?]

"And now I'm worried again," Dayo said, wiping sweat from her hand onto her pants.

Jaheem stomped and barked.

[Tusa, today we hunt as a pack!]

Tusa howled back.

[You cannot be serious. These two can't hunt to save their lives! Look at those pathetic little legs.]

Jaheem cackled and roared again.

[Prepare to be amazed, my son. Come, let us feast on goostrich! Leave the nest-tender to them.]

Tusa's hunting call boomed over the plains.

[Feast!]

The two lyenas took off in a spray of dirt.

"It's fine. I know you don't understand them, they're just going to go have some fun with most of the flock and leave the one guarding the nest for us," Nuru said.

"Ah... right. Let us begin."

Nuru started an upbeat sequence on his drum.

"!Tasiri motsin zuciyarmu!" he cast, putting both of them in a musical trance that made their movements more coordinated with each other, based on his drumming skill. "You know, since I've got MP, might as well use it now."

(Hey, what kind of attack spells do you have?)

/Find a target, I'll show you a few./

"Not to be rude, Nuru, but I thought you were better with that drum," Dayo said, stumbling into him.

"Yeah, well, I was. Then respec happened."

"Gods below. And you just gave it up? All your proficiency, even the default?"

"I dropped it into stuff I don't have much likelihood of practicing safely."

Dayo frowned for a moment, considering. Then she nodded.

"You know what? Makes sense. I hope you've got your rhythm back for this weekend though."

"Trust me, I'm going to be practicing every spare moment."

Dayo tipped her hat down to hide a blush. She pointed; Nuru saw the nest with a head poking out as big as his, atop a long neck as thick as his leg.

"What do you think. Quiet, or...?" Nuru said.

"No point. They can hear and see us coming."

"Alright, but if we come in too hard we'll be pulling aggro and it might get initiative."

"True. Calm and confident then."

They approached side by side.

/Repeat after me./

"!Soyayya!" Nuru cast, throwing his fingers forward.

The goostrich blinked, sat up straighter, and turned to look Nuru straight on with one eye. Then it stood up and waddled towards him.

"Uh..." Nuru stood still, unsure.

HONK

The blast of sound made Nuru jump, losing his rhythm, and Dayo took a step back. The goostrich stepped forward more, craning its neck down to peer at him.

"Hi," Nuru said, nervously.

The bird took a big step towards him, then another.

(It didn't work!)

/I assure you, it did./

(What's the spell Ashanti had, with that big ball of doom?)

/You're in a dry plain, Nuru, you'll get incinerated. Also, never cast anything she did, the paladin wards will detect you again./

Nuru held his fists up in a way that somehow felt appropriate.

"Alright you big-oof!"

The bird hit him in the chest with its forehead, knocking him down.

"No fair! Your neck is longer than my arm!"

"Careful Nuru! They're vicious! You could lose a hand!"

"Yes, I can-"

The goostrich hit him again, knocking him flat. It waddled closer and stood over him.

"-see that," Nuru said, confused. "The heck are you- ack!"

The goostrich turned about and sat on him, then turned its neck to the side to peer at him over its shoulder.

"Let me guess - you were adopted before you were orphaned?" Dayo said, tilting her head to the side.

"No, I..."

"You're adopted now, apparently."

"Hey! Get off me! Birds aren't supposed to be so heavy."

The big bird nipped at his hands, pulling his arm to the side, then knocking him flat with its forehead and settling back down on him.

Nuru's shoulder demon shrieked with laughter.

/Never make fun of a woman's weight!/

(The hell! What is going on here!)

/You've been claimed! Heeeehahahah!/

(What did that do!? That was no attack!)

/Bahahahaaa... depends on what you consider an attack. That fowl's ability to consent to a relationship has been been seriously assaulted now. And it won't take no for an answer, for oh, ten minutes or so./

(Gods below. Do something else! I'm not trying to eat it in an innuendo sense!)

/Alright, alright. Here, repeat this./

"!Fushin Kishi!"

The bird stopped shuffling on Nuru and turned to look at Dayo.

"Uh... Nuru..." Dayo said, summoning her staff.

"Off. Get." Nuru helped shove the bird on its way.

It waddled forward menacingly.

"I don't think I'm being adopted here," Dayo said.

HROONK

"Waaugh! That's so loud!" Dayo said, wincing and turning their head to the side.

The bird snapped at her.

"Hey! Woah! Fine, you wanna play hard?"

The valkyrie threw down a rune in the ground, stepping back. The giant bird waded duck-like straight into the ground, then climbed back up the other side.

"It's still coming! What the hell did you do?! Why doesn't it care about you anymore?"

(Adana?)

/Nobody here by that name. Leave a message and I'll pass it on if I ever see her. But I heard she's dead./

(Whatever the fuck your name is! What spell is that?)

/Jealousy./

(Jealousy? Of what?)

/You./

(But...)

/The first one was infatuation, towards you. The second, was jealousy about you./

(Towards her? Them. Towards them.)

/Yes./

(You are an awful person.)

/But a pretty good demon, admit it./

"I'm coming!" Nuru said, scrambling to his feet.

Dayo took a flying leap, casting a few small runes below as their feet left the ground. The goostrich stumbled into the first, then fell heavily into the second one with a heavy splat. It picked itself up and continued forward. It strained forward, lunging at Dayo, taking a heavy arcane blast to the face.

HROOOONK

"Gods below, I think we're only making it more angry!" Dayo cried.

Nuru leaped at it from behind, pulling himself up on its back by the tail feathers that would make quills as thick as his fingers.

"Now see here, bird! I've known this one longer than you!" Nuru chastised, pulling himself forward.

The bird shook itself, and Nuru tumbled off the side.

"Dammit!" he said, flopping to the ground on his back painfully.

Dayo's staff whistled through the air, only to be snatched in the goostrich's beak. Dayo and the bird had a contest of strength over it, and Dayo almost lost completely but managed to toss a rune down, letting it sink under the weight of its own upward jerk, which still brought Dayo up off of their feet. The staff puffed out of existince for a moment, letting the beak pass through, then puffed back in just in time to catch the beak as it nearly crunched down on Dayo's head. Now the valkyrie was pinned to the ground under the massive weight of the goostrich's head, leveraged by its body which was almost entirely trapped in the ground now, only the strength of Dayo's arms holding the staff to keep the beak at bay. It thrashed, trying to free its legs, but could not. Dayo finally managed to scramble free as Nuru got a few punches in on the bird's flank, and it whacked him with a wing and sent him reeling back and taking a good chunk off of his HP.