Bending the Rules Pt. 12: Trial

Story Info
Nuru ties up loose ends, but not for his own sake.
11.9k words
4.82
5.9k
4

Part 12 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/31/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

11941 words.

Not based on any particular gaming franchise or storyline. Reading previous entries first is recommended.

Something big is afoot. So big, you'd think those were yeti tracks.

*****

Nuru jerked awake at the sound of someone pounding on the door. He heard Mesi gasp and Dayo groan as well.

"Hey, open up!"

"You know what time it is?!" Mesi demanded angrily, yanking the door open.

"I've asked you this before, and I'm going to ask you again. Do you know where this 'Nuru' fellow is? He's in great danger."

"Look, even if I did-" Mesi cut in.

"I'm here," Nuru called, putting his own clothing back on, leaving what he'd borrowed from Dayo on the floor.

Mesi cursed under her breath. Nuru put his Quest Giver mark away.

"Are you in there, Nuru? Come out slowly, where we can see you," the guard called.

"Thank you for your kindness, friends. I won't trouble you any further," Nuru said. He gave Mesi and Dayo hugs both.

"I was trying to do you a favor," Mesi said quietly. "They shouldn't be so heavy-handed about this."

"I appreciate it. But there's something I've realized I have to do. There's no point in putting it off any longer, I think."

"I'll be there, Nuru. I promised," Dayo said.

"Hey! Don't make me come in there and get you!" the guard called out.

"Relax, man! Gods above, I'm doing you a favor, give me a second," Nuru snapped.

He collected his things, and Mesi gave him a little food for the road, and a hug.

"Thank you for last night. I had a great time," Dayo said, kissing him quickly.

"You're welcome. And thank you for... you know what," Nuru said, returning the kiss and giving her a quick hug. "Can you hold onto my drum for me for a little while?"

"Of course," Mesi said.

"Thank you. Dayo, you can hold on to the IOU for me, and feel free to call Jaheem if you can talk to him. Alright, I'm coming out!"

Two guards waited outside.

"Two Level Nine guys for a Level Four? Seems excessive," Nuru said.

"Oh no, we had a guy watching the back entrance too, in case you made a run for it." The guard whistled and, sure enough, a third man in full armor joined them. "It'll help your case that you've come willingly, without trying any tricks. So don't go getting any funny ideas."

The third guard put enchanted shackles on him and they walked by torchlight back into the normally-busy streets which were mostly empty now.

"Oh, it's you! There you are," a voice called. "Hey! Don't just keep walking. You still owe me for this- hey! I'm talking to you!"

Nuru held his eyes down and kept walking.

"Official business, step aside," the guard said.

"He owes me for this quest! I just need to talk to him real quick."

"Visiting hours are the two hours before and after noon. Wait until then to come by."

"But-"

"I'll have you brought up on Obstruction of Justice charges. Now beat it."

With an exaggerated yell of aggrievement, the bystander let them go. "I'll be back for my EXP, dammit!"

Nuru followed the guards and was locked away in a small cell at the city jail without further incident.

*****

" 'ey you... wasssyer nam," his cellmate said.

"Nuru. You?"

"Oh, 'eah, yer that guy who- who- made all the demon smoke inna temple, 'n't that right?"

"I guess that's what people are probably saying, but I didn't do that."

"Sure... sure... everybody innocent... tha's what they all say. Amirite? Me, I did 'zackly what they say. I'm still drunk. Passed out and threw up in the fountain pool. 'As right, I did it, gaddammit, but 's all in good fun. Nothin' to be ashamed of... ya hear that ya fascist pricks!? Agh, mah head..."

"Hey, keep it down in there, people are trying to sleep," the guard said.

"Why I aught.. aughta thrash you 'n throw ye to th'... to..."

Snore.

Nuru sighed, and settled in to wait. It was going to be a long day.

*****

"Say, I need to send a message," Nuru said, once visiting hours arrived.

"PAGE!" the guard bellowed.

A courier came in and walked over.

"This one has business." The guard jerked his thumb.

"What can I do for you?" the boy said.

He was unclassed, maybe seventeen years old.

"Here, let the banker know I'm here and I need to make a loan payment," Nuru said, tossing him a coin.

"Right away sir!" he dashed off.

Some time later, he returned with the banker.

"Ten minutes," the guard said.

"Here, I'm making payment on my loan," Nuru said.

He handed over most of his money.

"I can't give you a receipt until I verify it," the banker said. "There's also a service fee for coming out here."

"I understand."

"Good luck today."

"Like you care."

"I care if you can pay. If you can't quest though..."

"Fair enough."

*****

"Got another visitor for you, Nuru," the guard said. "You got ten minutes."

"Aw, come on! Only ten- you know what, that's plenty, actually," the man said.

"Uh, do I know you?" Nuru said, getting up and walking over to the bars.

"Nah, but I know you. You had that quest for the Expansion armor."

"OK, so? How can I help you?"

"Well, I'm here to collect, of course."

"Collect? The quest is over. You should have gone to the shop."

"But I only get the big bonus if I get it from you! The quest can't be over yet, it's at like noon."

"Yeah, noon. Yesterday."

"Seriously? I could have sworn it was today."

"Well, unfortunately you get a bonus of I'm-not-paying-you now. Plus, I'm broke anyway."

"Come on man, give me forty percent bonus. I'll take an IOU."

"Do I look like I can use Mankapi Crystal Scale? I'm Level Four."

"Why did you even have a quest for something you can't use?"

"It's called 'a promotion.' It's meant to get peoples' attention, not to get me anything I actually need. Considering you're even standing there, just offering the quest got the word out just fine."

"Ugh. Just my luck. I have a full set and everything."

"Look, you'll still get good money for it at the shop. Full set will still get you a bonus, too. Maybe somebody else has a quest for it now, who knows."

"Jerk. See if I ever do business with you again."

"Have a great day!" Nuru said through gritted teeth.

He settled back down to wait. His cellmate spoke up after awhile. "I thought you'd be like, taller and scarier. Growing horns or a tail or whatever, like demons all do. You know, I met this half-minotaur once, he had horns. I thought he was a half-demon or something, but he'd been born with horns and they just kept growing as he got older. Big guy, but nothing else different- Oh, I'll have to tell you later, I gotta go."

"No, Khari, it's Nuru's turn," the guard said, unlocking the door.

"Whaaat? Come on man, lemme outta here, I gotta go to the store, I'm hungry."

"Thirsty you mean. I think you've had enough to drink. Sit tight, we'll talk to you soon. Nuru, let's go."

He got up and left with the guard, then went and sat in the courtroom, already full of people. Dayo was in the back.

"The prosecution presents the unfactioned Level Four Bard Nuru. He is charged with, among other things, aiding and abetting demonic forces in an attack on holy ground."

"Court recognized the bard Nuru. Before we enter a plea, we are required to confirm your desire to have the trial sat by an official Rules Lawyer."

"What are my other options?" Nuru said.

"You may either waive your right to a defense, accept the selection of a Rules Lawyer, or not accept a Rules Lawyer."

"What if I don't want a Rules Lawyer at the trial?"

"Well, that's... highly unusual, since they're so impartial. In that case, the judge will be appointed by delegation of the Mayor. It'll probably be me."

"You'll do fine," Nuru said.

The crowd murmured a little at that; composed mostly of stern mothers who looked at him with disapproving eyes.

"Well, ah, in that case the court will briefly adjourn to confirm this with the Mayor. Nobody go anywhere, I'll be right back."

The man got up and ran out of the room. Several minutes later he returned, in a slightly more ostentatious set of clothing.

"Right. So, the Mayor has appointed me to oversee the trial here. Nuru, the evidence has been mostly given, and depositions taken. You are charged with aiding and abetting demonic forces within city limits, unholy assault on the sanctity of temple grounds, and fleeing justice. In the accusation of aiding and abetting demonic forces, how do you plead?"

"What's the definition of that?"

"Well, uh, it really means that you knowingly assisted in the pursuit of the goals of one... 'Adana Devi Ashanti666999' within city limits."

"And the temple falls within city limits, correct?"

"Yes."

"I plead not guilty."

"And in the accusation of unholy assault on the sanctity of temple grounds, how do you plead?"

"Not guilty."

"And in the accusation of fleeing justice, how do you plead?"

"Not guilty."

"Very well. Does anyone have any new information to present before the court proceeds with interviewing the final witness?"

A paladin at the back stood up. "I do."

"Approach the bench and say your piece."

"May it please you, this man-"

"State your name," the judge said firmly.

"Ah, yes, apologies. I am Bosede."

"Court recognizes paladin Bosede of Imamu's Legion faction. Proceed."

"It's technically 'Legion of Imamu,' for the record. May it please you, honorable judge, this man participated in the unprovoked desecration and destruction of Faction property."

"This is not a grievance hearing, this is a trial. Are you claiming this is relevant to the charges presented?"

"I am. It speaks to his character, you see. One touched by a demon cannot be trusted, and here we see the evidence of it. For the safety of all the city, I am requesting that you declare him guilty and apply the maximum possible sentence."

"What proof do you have?"

"I have here a sworn affidavit from one of the guards who was tending our newest statue, still under construction at the Faction Causeway. He tells of a man somewhat matching his description," the man pointed at Nuru, "who was present with the party that sent a *demon spectre*," the man's voice echoed through the whole room, "to destroy the statue itself. Three men were given such a fright that they are confined in isolation for their safety."

"Preposterous, on its face!" Dayo exclaimed, standing up, eliciting a murmur in the assembled crowd. The valkyrie was back in their usual robe and hat.

"Remain calm. You have facts relevant to this claim?" the judge said.

"I do. This man claims the attack was unprovoked, but I will remind him that his Legion of Imamu was responsible for the unprovoked siege and takeover of the Fortress of Whiterock not a month ago."

"You speak nonsense. That fortress was overrun by the undead."

"It was *occupied* by our *trained servants* who could respond to complex questions such as 'who owns this castle?'!" Dayo bit off.

"Everyone knows the undead cannot be trained and perform complex tasks," Bosede spat.

"There is a faction which knows how."

"Well, since you're so knowledgeable, share with us the name of these miracle workers who are so skilled."

"Tumelo's Chosen."

"The Chosen!?" Bosede scoffed. "But they all dried up and vanished ages ago!"

"We're not leaving unfinished statues carelessly guarded all along the Causeway, but we are here still. If the Legion had any honor, they wouldn't receive embarrassing retaliation that humiliates them in front of all the potential recruits."

"Enough of this bickering," the judge said. "Miss, or mister, or whatever... are you claiming responsibility for the destruction of the statue?"

"I am claiming nothing about that supposed incident. I am merely providing evidence to contradict this ridiculous claim of unprovoked grievance," Dayo said. "I would also ask that the court check the description in the affidavit carefully and be sure that it matches reality. I believe you will find that it does not, as does most of the rhetoric this Legion spews."

Bosede stood seething, but held his tongue.

"Bosede, does the Legion have any further evidence to present?" the judge asked.

"No sir. Just the affidavit."

"Then we shall take the matter under advisement. Does anyone else have facts relevant to this case?"

No one came forward.

"Then we proceed with the final witness. Nuru, that's you. Eight days ago, you were identified at the Temple of the Gods, taking a level up. Can you describe the events that transpired?"

"Yes, I have full recollection."

"You are instructed to do so now. Start from the first time you set foot in the building."

"I went in the side door and laid a mat by the altar."

"Why?"

"I was following instructions of a demon."

"What did you hope to accomplish by doing this?"

"I really had no idea. She said she had a surprise."

"Why would you trust a demon, Nuru? You know they're completely amoral and forbidden from this area."

"She... got me laid a few times. Wow, that sounds pathetic now that I hear it coming from my own mouth."

A few people chuckled at that.

"And what was this demon's name?"

"I knew her as Devi."

"But that wasn't all. I have here an affidavit and heard the sworn testimony of no less than General Chidike himself stating that an anonymous demon hunter reported you were able to supply her True Name. Can you explain how you knew this?"

"She was careless with it. Sigils use a name, and there was one with her True Name in it she taught me how to make."

"So, what was the surprise she had for you?"

"A respec, that dropped my level."

Some in the crowd gasped. A few people whispered they hadn't known that was possible.

"Order, maintain order. Why did you turn on her?"

"She was a liability. We had... other differences of opinion."

"Meaning?"

"She tried to kill me, for one."

"And the level drop was just one more in the line of disagreements you had?"

"You could say that, yes."

"Do you regret doing any business with her?"

"I regret *so* many things about that situation."

"And will you ever pursue such a thing again?"

"I might take up demon hunting, I haven't decided yet; I'm still a little shaken over the whole ordeal. Certainly I won't be doing such a thing anywhere near Home Town."

"Is there anything else you wish to say in your defense?"

"I do have something I want to say, and that is the real reason I turned myself in. I would like to dispel any rumors regarding a lyena that you may have heard. Gram's trial exposed his part in the hunting of these animals, and there are two of them that I assisted, Jaheem and Tusa, by doing so. I want to be very clear that at no time was I in any danger from them, nor was I ever abducted against my will. They were doing me what they thought was a favor, despite removing me from legal custody of the Mayor's deputized forces. I consider them friends and anyone who attacks them or puts a bounty on their heads should be ashamed."

"Very well. We will take a recess, and then judgment will be rendered."

The judge walked out of the courtroom. Dayo tipped their hat at Nuru, stood up, and walked out. Nuru nodded and gave a small smile. Bosede watched the whole thing suspiciously, but made no comment.

During the recess a guard came up to Nuru. "Speaking of Gram, I have news for you. His trial has completed and he has been found guilty. The sentence was commuted to exile rather than a lengthy jail sentence; you should be aware that once you leave Home Town, we no longer have jurisdiction on his conduct. We recommend you remain here for a time and secure the protection of a powerful faction to deter him from any retaliation once you venture forth. One with a strong paladin force would be best, like Blue Sun or Legion of Imamu."

"Yes, I see. Thank you," Nuru said.

"He's going to be sent away, now that you have been informed. If you have any final business with him, best let me or another of the guards know so that you can complete it before then."

"I've got no further business with him."

"Very well. Sign this Oath of Notification."

Nuru signed.

"Thanks. You know, my big brother played 'keep away' or whatever that game was with you and the lyena the other day. I'm glad you're sticking up for him. There's some other people that have wanted to try their hand at it, and if he was being hunted they'd never get the chance."

"Well, I did it for Jaheem's sake, but sure, that's good too. I'm not sure how you'll convince him to play again, but who knows."

"Ahem. Well. Consider yourself warned, etc. etc. Stop playing with demons and so on."

The guard shook his finger, turned about and left. Nuru turned his head to look, and saw the guard captain at the door, looking on sternly. He did his best to look chastised.

The judge returned, and remained standing to make his pronouncement.

"Bard Nuru, the court has reached a verdict. In the charge of aiding and abetting demonic forces within city limits, we find you guilty, but have commuted your sentence to imprisonment for two weeks on account of your otherwise perfect record, your age, circumstances of your upbringing, and the punishment already conferred by the demon... itself. I said that right? Yes. Ahem. In the charge of unholy assault on the sanctity of temple grounds, we find you not guilty by way of ignorance. In the charge of fleeing justice, we were sorely suspicious, but had insufficient evidence, and were swayed by the fact that you turned yourself in, and declare you not guilty. Take him away, and bring in Khari for his hearing."

*****

Nuru had a visitor shortly after returning to a new cell, his home for the next two weeks.

"You're a real piece of work, you know that?"

"Hey Zula," Nuru grinned.

"Get over here, you scoundrel!" she demanded, tapping her foot.

He came up to the bars.

"The mayor's wife wanted me to give you this," she said quietly, handing him a pastry. "To help with the taste of that prison food."

"Thanks," he said. "I heard you came and spoke for me at the trial."

He offered her a favor, but she waved it away.

"I don't want you to owe me, Nuru. If we're going to be together, I don't want us to be keeping score all the time. Life's too short."

"Haven't given up on that, hmm?"

"I certainly have some concerns. We need to talk about that someday, but you made it clear to me that it was too soon. Just don't forget me out there in the big world, Nuru. Bless you, I don't know how you're going to do it but I'm certain that you will. I just don't want you to meet all the gorgeous elf girls and the edgy big-city wenches at the inn and forget all about me. Like that, what's her name, Mesi?"

Nuru smirked. "You know she's a lesbian, right?"

"I do. I wasn't sure if you did," Zula grinned. "Nobody else seems to, the men at least. I know you've got a good head on your shoulders, even if your sanity is in question. What the hell were you thinking?"

"I was thinking most people only get to live once. If you're going to chastise me for pursuing my dreams, I don't want to hear it."

Zula sighed. "No, I'm not. Who wants to live a _normal_ life, right? All that faction backstabbing and the general violence of questing, never knowing the day you'll slip up and die."

"Better level up, then. It's not gonna be here that you'll find me too long from now."

"Pff. I'm Level Seven, Nuru. Speak for yourself. You've actually *lost* a level."

"True. I got it back though."

"Still Level Four, and two weeks of no questing ahead of you. Far as I can tell, Healer is the only path that doesn't require a Faction affiliation; I have no idea what you're planning."

"Time's up," the guard said.

"I guess you'll have to ask me next time," Nuru grinned.

"Don't get buttraped, Nuru! I might want that ass all for myself!"

Some of the inmates whistled at her as she walked out.