Ben'hamin Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Instantly, he heard the light tapping sounds of a tiny child running down the stone corridor to his summons. "Yes, my lord..." The tiny boy stuck his head in eager, yet half afraid to call attention to himself.

"Oh, Brayden, thank the Gods it is you, boy. I don't feel like arguing. Could you run get me a glass of room temperature water?"

"Not your usual wine, sir?" Everest smiled wryly. His dramatic change in attitude was still throwing everyone on the staff off of their routines.

"No...no wine, Brayden..." The boy frowned at him nodding despite his confusion. "Could you bring me a small loaf of herbal bread, too?"

"Yes, your highness...Are you sure that is what you want?" Brayden sniffed the air and looked around the room in concern at the fading scent.

"No more of those things, do you hear me? They have been giving me headaches! I keep telling you that."

"But, sire...my master tells me you insist on them and I have to put them here!"

"Brayden," Everest pointed out patiently, "how can I insist on them if I am the one telling you to get rid of them for me?" The boy's frown grew.

"I do not know. I am not allowed to make decisions, only follow my master's orders. He says I must give you wine, even when you tell me you do not want it. He also says you always have wine...lots of it!"

"Have you seen me drink wine, Brayden?"

"Only one glass with your meal at suppertime, my lord," Brayden answered succinctly. "No more, and rarely less," he added softly. "I understand the sachets are an herbal drug that...relaxes you, your highness. Are you trying to stop taking the drugs you habitually consume?"

"Smart lad," the king bragged softly. "If your master counters my orders again, have him bring the items to me personally. I will take care of his insubordination myself." The boy bowed respectfully with a small grin on his face as he backed out of the room carefully.

Brayden was not gone long, but by the time he returned his shoulder was bleeding again. Everest found himself sighing again as he dragged himself away from the fresh air at the window reluctantly. He sank down into the bathing pool fully clothed sipping at the glass of water Brayden handed him. The boy set the serving plate with the bread on it within his reach watching the king with a worried look.

"Sire, if I may...You are injured."

"It is not bad, Brayden. Please, don't mention it to anyone." Everest pulled the covering shirt away throwing it out of the pool to show him the damage. Both of them frowned as they saw the swollen red edges that had venomous lines tracing away from the cut. "Damn..." Brayden firmed his little jaw up rebelliously.

Everest finished undressing as Brayden ran to a little used alcove across the room. He returned with a five-inch-long, porcelain chest. "You need to clean those wounds! There is salve and bandages in here, sire. Do you want to do it, or me?"

"I can help, but I am going to be one-armed. I could use the help," Everest admitted with a wry grin. "Do you know anything about first-aid?"

Brayden nodded. "My master won't like it. I am not allowed to stay in your room long," he muttered as he knelt at the side of the pool. He touched his small hand to the wound. "This is hot to the touch. That is a bad sign, my lord."

"I own this castle and everyone bound to it. You serve the castle, do you not?" The boy nodded warily. "Has Destiny ordered you not to stay long in my room?" The boy's eyes grew puzzled and Everest read why in his mind. "Dirge, the queen...my wife," he clarified. "Has Destiny told you to leave quickly?" Brayden shook his head with the harsh frown beginning to fade as he realized where his questions were leading. The boy had the softest, little face. He couldn't be very old at all, Everest thought. "Then, who do you believe you should obey, Brayden?"

"You, my king..." Brayden's quick grin flashed down at him.

"Everest Sinedien...glad to meet you," Everest teased. Brayden flushed, but there was now a happy smile to replace the ugly frown lines. "Please do not feel frightened to speak around me, Brayden. I grow tired of being alone all of the time. Right now, I will even accept the attention of a child."

12