Best Friends Forever Ch. 01

Story Info
Even through tough times, best friends survive.
1.2k words
4.36
21.6k
6
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 05/18/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PrincessErin
PrincessErin
1,429 Followers

"Wake up!"

Katie sat straight up. She blinked her eyes and realized she had fallen asleep. Her mouth was dry and she had been crunched up in a ball against Bill. Bill sat up straight and was furiously trying to apologize to Katie's mom.

"We fell asleep. I'm sorry."

"It's past midnight Bill. Your mom will get mad. I'll make sure you get across the street alright."

Bill tried not to laugh. He was almost twenty years old and here he was being told that he needed supervision to get across the street in one piece. He looked over at his best friend Katie and they winked at each other.

Bill and Katie had been best friends since elementary school. They had a secret way of communicating to each other when they couldn't use words. Winking was their way of saying everything was fine.

"Mom! We're not teenagers anymore. I'll walk him to the door."

Katie's mom nodded and watched as her only daughter and Bill made their way to the front door. They hugged and then Katie watched as Bill walked the few meters across the road to the green and brown ranch bungalow.

"You shouldn't be spending so much time with him. He's engaged."

"Don't Mom. Just don't. We're best friends. You seriously have never believed me when I say that it's nothing more. God I hate you sometimes."

Katie spun around and rushed up the stairs to her bedroom. She slammed the door and got ready for bed. She hated her parents some times. Well actually, just her mom. Her dad understood her, but her mom was impossible. Bill and her had never dated. They were best friends.

Bill lay in bed wondering about a few things. He loved Katie so much and hated that everyone assumed that they were romantically involved. Bill was madly in love with Cathy. There was no question at all about that. He fell asleep thinking of the two most important women in his life.

***

"Stop it! Bill, I'm serious!" Cathy was giggling with laughter as Bill was tackling her to the ground. She had slapped his butt playfully and he had in return grabbed her and began to tickle her. She tried to tickle back, but there was no use.

"No. You dare slap my cute butt!" Bill was laughing so hard as he let Cathy flip him over and straddle his legs. He ran his hands up and down her legs.

"I love you."

"I love you Bill."

Cathy leaned down and they nuzzled noses. Bill wrapped his strong hands around Cathy's waist and they looked deeply into each other's eyes. For that moment, there was no one else in the world but them. If only they knew they were being watched.

"You're jealous aren't you?

"What?"

Katie didn't realize that she had been staring out her front window. She was supposed to be practicing her piano pieces, but had turned to face the front window. She wasn't smiling, but wasn't upset either. She was happy for Bill, really she was.

"You've been staring at them for the last ten minutes Katie. Don't you have a lesson tomorrow? If you don't want to take lessons all you have to do is say so."

"Mom! I was just taking a break. Please. For goodness sake I'll get back to practicing."

Katie turned and continued playing her Mozart piece. It was a grade seven piece and she was struggling to get all the notes right. She loved playing the piano and had been taking lessons since she was ten. At first it was for fun, but four years ago she had been asked if she wanted to do the Royal Conservatory levels. She had agreed and her hour-long practices every day consumed a lot of her time. She replayed the fourth line for the fifth time, gritting her teeth as she tried to get her fingers to play the two trills in a row. She took a deep breath and sat up straight. She began at the beginning and was happy that she could play that part without error.

After dinner, Katie went to the den to watch television. She was happy that a few weeks ago she had successfully completely her second year of university. It had been a struggle since she didn't have a strong grasp of how to write an essay. She had received mostly B's and that was fine with her. She had never been a straight A student and it wasn't like she was going to be losing a scholarship or anything if her marks went lower. All she ever wanted to do was be a teacher and this required her to earn a degree in a subject area. She had chosen English.

She snuggled into the couch and started flipping channels. Her mind wandered to Bill and Cathy. They were taking that premarital course through the church this weekend. Bill's mom was a religious fanatic and Bill really didn't have a choice as to where he and Cathy would get married. They were getting married in his mom's church and this required a weekend long course of self-discovery and relationship development, or at least that's what the brochure said.

Katie remembered back to how Bill had first told her he was dating Cathy. It was in the dead of winter and Bill was out playing on his snowmobile. Katie, who hated the cold, was inside his parent's cottage keeping the fire going. They had been allowed to go up to the cottage alone for the first time. Normally one of their parents went with them, but since they had graduated from high school there was a little more trust.

Bill entered the cottage and after getting out of his winter clothes sat on the couch next to Katie.

"I need to tell you something. You're going to hate me."

Katie didn't even need to look over. She knew exactly what he was going to say. She had known it for weeks and knew that Bill was struggling to find the perfect time to tell her. At the beginning of September, Bill had begun working in an office and had immediately taken a liking to one of the women that worked next to him. Katie had suggested he ask her out and he had done so. She had continued to give him dating advice, but two months ago that had stopped. She knew it could be that they broke up, but she knew it was the opposite; he was falling in love with Cathy and was afraid to tell Katie.

"No I'm not. Are you going to ask her to marry you?" Katie looked over and saw Bill's face. He was so nervous and scared, waiting for his best friend's response. His face went from worry to shock to a great big smile.

"You know me too well. Way too well. It's scary."

"Yeah I know. I figured when you stopped asking me for dating advice it was because things were going well. Do you love her?" Katie bit her lip and waited for a response. Part of her wanted both of them to remain single so they could continue hanging out. She hated when things changed, but knew it was a part of life.

"Yeah I do Katie. A lot. I want to propose to her on Valentine's Day."

"Do I get to help you pick out a ring and make sure you don't mess up asking her?"

"Of course. You're my best friend."

PrincessErin
PrincessErin
1,429 Followers