Beta Vows Ch. 01

Story Info
Old flames meet more than once.
7.4k words
4.66
11.3k
14
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Welcome to the sister story of Omega Pride! You have some familiar faces with a few new ones (or mentioned ones)! This story is best read along with Omega Pride, to get some context, but hey, do you boo-boo! If you like it, let me know, and I'll keep cranking it out along with OP! I enjoy this pet project and I hope you do too! Don't forget to give comments and feedback, they are most welcomed!

Chapter 1 of Beta Vows is best read after the events of OP chapter 10.

Without further ado, enjoy!

/†\†/†\

Blood dripped off the tip of the young male's 76 cm sword, the Bronze Age blade held firm in his hand against the autumn wind. The male's hazel eyes were long dead now, cold and void of anything feeling, even as his light brown—almost dirty blonde—hair seemed to glow against the setting sun's fall leaves. In front of him, there was nothing beautiful, the dissonance between the smell of bodies entering the livor mortis and rigor mortis stages and the red and yellow sinuous leaves on his back only painted an eerie, uncanny view of that day.

"E... Eiríkr," The little female pup next to him peeped in old Nordic as she looked at their destroyed hamlet home and the dozen of murdered wolves inside, "Would...would really you do this to me?...Eiríkr?"

Eiríkr said nothing to the she-pup at his side as he continued to stare out at the carnage he only a few hours ago had caused. His mind was blank and dark, and she could see that her question had fallen on deaf ears of the one she once looked upon to protect and watch over her. With a trembling lip and fearful hand, she reached up and grabbed the bloodless side of his tunic, as high as her daring hand could reach.

"Eiríkr..." The puppy tried again a little louder with as much courage as she had left in her throbbing heart, "Big brother..."

Eiríkr's head shot down at her with a glare that rivaled the Deity of Death and Punishment herself, making her whimper as she looked up at him with her own miniscule, shaking eyes.

"Eirí..." She called out to him with the pet name she once gave him; a sad attempt to reach what little compassion he had left, "Would you...would you kill me too?"

He did not look as if he had to contemplate, though this time, she could see a speck of light reflect in his eyes; she had reached him.

The unfortunate truth was Eiríkr could only see red. All color had lost meaning to him, his innocence long gone, and this female not a few years older than a toddler He knew her...but he cared so little for her. He couldn't possibly look down at her with the eyes of a loving youth any more. With a slow blink, he replied with stony evenness, "If you ever betray the Delan pack as our family branch had done Auðrhildr, then I certainly will."

Auðrhildr's tears starting to pour down the side of her cheeks and whines coming from her mouth, terror and betrayal made her scent reek. How could he? How could he say something like that to her so easily?

Her sharp odor made him snort. How bothersome. Eiríkr bared his teeth at her with a threatening growl, making her yelp and let go of him as she backed up franticly. Why...? Why did Eiríkr treat her like this? Why was he so mean? Why did he kill their parents? Their family? Why?!

"You should have no reason to be afraid of me," Eiríkr told her cruelly, "Unless you too have something to hide." After a moment, he raised his accusing sword at the six year old wolf, "Do you?"

"No! No I promise I don't, Eirí! I p-promise!!" The young wolf cried, boarding howls as she backed herself into a tree that bended in a way as if to convey its own need to stay out of the conflict. As Eiríkr got closer not once lowering his sword, a strong and overwhelming scent he couldn't quite place filled his flaring nostrils.

"What an unruly brat you are, young wolf," A woman's muffled voice caught their attention above them.

Both of their eyes shot up to catch sight of her. Auðrhildr saw the dark skin on the strange woman's hands along with eyes and hair that she had never seen before. Her wee mind caught how the light of the tired sun hit her beige cloak and weave like braided ponytail and the strong presence this strange woman seemed to have. Surely...Surely she was a servant of the Alpha Deity of Peace and Mercy, sent by him to save her brother, or the Alpha Deity of Youths, sent by the god to protect her. Eiríkr eyed the coal-skinned woman; never in his life has he peered upon such a strange, eerie looking female. No matter. She was both an interrupter and invader.

"That little pup is your sister. You're all she has after you. Well. Decided to become an orphan. And here you are, raising a sword at her?" She tsked behind her clothe covered mouth, shaking her head with pity in her eyes, "For shame."

"Who are you?" Eiríkr growled venomously at this strange looking wolf, grabbing Auðrhildr roughly and pulling her behind him, snapping her from her daze in awe of the foreign wolf, "Why have you invaded the pack of Delan's lands?"

"Oh, Zuberi. This is why you should have looked after you scions more carefully. Ó Cathasaigh and even Volkov are doing quite well, but unfortunately this one..." The strange wolf spoke under her breath, ignoring Eiríkr's threat entirely, both angering and confusing the homicidal male before he jumped back in surprise as she suddenly leaped down and put one hand up non-threateningly, "Take it easy, young wolf of Delan. I am a simple traveler, merely out on a small search for someone and simply passing through your humbling lands."

"Liar!" Eiríkr growled and bared his teeth as he pointed the sword at her with the full intent to use it, "You intend to attack Delan too, don't you!?"

"Now why would I do such a dangerous thing? Going single-handedly against such a powerful pack would be suicide to a wolf like me," She smirked under her cloth covered face, not even an ounce of fear in her eyes as she continued to walk toward him, the blade mere inches from her throat now, "Now, how many summers have you seen? Fourteen? Fifteen? ...No..." She sniffed the air lightly, "...Only thirteen summers? Saddening... Surprisingly very strong. Yet, very sad."

"Don't mock me, charcoal wolf!" Eiríkr held his sword with both shaking hands to strike, "I've killed before, and I can do it once again!"

"Eiríkr, don't!" Auðrhildr cried out as the sword plunged up at the black skinned woman.

However, faster than either of their eyes could follow, the she-wolf caught his arm and put pressure on it in such a way to make him cry out and drop the sword in the colorful, yet dying foliage.

"Yes you have," The dark skinned woman said matter-of-factly, "But you did so against wolves that loved and trusted you. Wolves that wouldn't even as so much as bore a single claw at you. At your size and age, one could guess that you had to weaken them in their sleep or with their drink first before you massacred them."

Eiríkr hissed out as she tightened her grip around his arm, but when he icily looked up into her dark brown eyes, he was met with ones filled with pity...no...sympathy?

"Please...! L...Let...let him go! Let Eiríkr go, right now!" Auðrhildr blubbered and started banging her little fists against the side of her cloak covered leg. The pup wished the she-wolf was here for mercy, but she didn't want her brother to die!

Had Auðrhildr done that to him or anyone of the main branch of Delan, she would have received a sound beating, but this strange wolf...smiled?

"I admire your love and devotion to your brother, little one, but I need to teach him something first," She then lightly placed a tender hand on her head, stopping her suddenly, "Clean your tears. I shall not harm him."

Auðrhildr sniffed and surprisingly listened to her. In her heart, Auðrhildr could only sense sincerity and gentleness coming from the wolf that the deities have sent.

"Auðr—!" Eiríkr started, but with a little pressure and a yelp, his eyes darted back to the wolf.

"Do not ignore me...Eiríkr," The she-wolf looked at him with concerned eyes once more, "But instead, I hoped you noticed the truth while you trying to shout at this little one. Your sister tried to help you despite your words of poison and threat, and despite that you killed both of your parents and the family she loved. She was willing to sacrifice herself for you against an unknown enemy out of love. For that she is stronger than you and your sword."

"It's not about strength!" Eiríkr barked defiantly, struggling to against his oppressor, "Those dogs in there were going to turn this pack against the Alphas of Delan and kill them! I refused to see it happen, and as a young Beta I had to stand up to them!"

"No, you didn't," The she-wolf countered, keeping her hand firm on his arm effortlessly, "Hard choices are not to be easily made, but to raise your claws against someone who cares more for you? You may be a pup yourself, but as an older brother, your place was to protect your sister from all that. Your parents and the Alphas. That was their battle, not yours. Now, you've covered your hands in blood for loyalty to an Alpha pair who may or may not care to let you live, and mistake your actions for treason?"

"What business is this of yours?" Eiríkr bit back, "If I live or die after protecting them from a horrible fate, then that's up to me and me alone!"

To this, the she wolf smiled, "Your right. I should not care, but I must. I want to. You've started down a path that if you live to see your later years, you will regret and cannot escape from, but I am here now to give you a way out, a way to avoid such an unjust fate."

Eiríkr glared at her, the wheels turning in his head before he growled at her lowly, "Are you insisting that my sister and I go with you?"

"No, I was not of thinking that. I have someone that I promised my life to already," The she-wolf spoke tenderly and light of that someone, surprising him with the subtle look up adoration in her eyes, "I only offer you words. Advice that I pray you follow for you and your sister's future: don't be so quick to kill. Protect your sister first. Loyalty is strong, but love is stronger, and you need to think before you act."

"Are you honestly telling me to betray my own pack?" Eiríkr couldn't believe the words she said to him, his mind unable to grasp what she's telling him. With growing anger, he rose his free hand to punch this conceited wolf, ignoring the pain of his pinned arm.

"No," She told him gently, raising her free hand first to catch his incoming swing before putting it against the other and lightly placed that hand against his cheek, "Your place is with Delan. But know that she," She looked over to Auðrhildr before looking back at him, "She comes first. You are all she has, and she is all you truly have. Learn that well, because though you've dirtied your hands and destroyed your innocence and hers, this world is much crueler than any act you can commit and it pays better to have patience and compassion as not many will show that to you. Do you understand, Eiríkr?"

Eiríkr grunted against the she-wolf's strong grasp on his arms. He wanted to tear out the throat of this wolf. How dare she, as an outsider, think she had any right to tell him what to do and his place in his pack. He is beta born after all! He's better than her!!

Yet...

His wolf. His wolf actually wanted to listen to her? Eiríkr could feel his wolf not only backing away from his aggression, but also let out a whine in their mind, wanting to actually rest his head into this strange wolf's hand and breathe her scent in deep! As if she was right and someone to be trusted! What was wrong with him?! What was wrong with them?!

"Do we have an agreement?" The she-wolf repeated as if it were the first time.

Eiríkr's eyes roved over hers and he closed his own, debating on it within himself. He didn't want to listen to her. He didn't want to even heed a word she said. But...

He couldn't help it. Something about her wouldn't let him turn a blind eye or deaf ear. He slowly gave in and looked down and away from her.

The she-wolf smiled under her mask before she let him go carefully, "Good. Go to your pack now, and take care of your sister, Eirikr. I pray I find you on a different road if we ever cross paths again."

She started to back away from them when she heard a feminine voice clear her throat above their heads. This time, there was no scent to alert them and it shocked both pups. This female was dark skinned too, but nowhere near as dark as the she-wolf who addressed him. Her thick, flowing hair was long and dark brown in the color that matched the tree she stood on and from where she stood on it, Eiríkr could see the most strange eyes: blue as the sky on a raining day and orange within them like a setting sun. Unlike the she-wolf next to them, she did not have a mask to cover her proud smile, and also unlike the she-wolf...he couldn't tell what she was. Human? Or wolf?

"Do you find pleasure in lecturing wolves, sister?" The woman in the trees looked down at her "sister" with a grin. To this, the she-wolf laughed and jumped back in the tree to stand next to her.

"Only as much fun as having to constantly track you and your movements, My Lady," The she-wolf bowed her head to her.

"Come now, don't act so distant to me," The woman poked the she-wolf in the shoulder, "Now that I've found you, shall we continue our travels?"

The she-wolf let out a gasp as she began to say something, but shook her head from rebutting her, "We shall." The she-wolf looked back at Eiríkr and Auðrhildr, "Remember what I told you. I'm sure you'll be great wolves from this day if you follow that advice."

With one last glance of the she-wolf and the other woman, they were gone without a trace. Eiríkr didn't even get a chance to blink. It was then that he realized just how his heart beat wildly in his chest, and how he now felt a sudden sense of sadness from his wolf. Why did he feel such a way?

"...Ei...Eirí?" Auðrhildr got his attention, her tiny feet crunching on the fallen leaves with hesitance.

Eiríkr looked back at his little sister after looking once more in the direction of the two strange females, making her give a look of apprehension. After a moment, he bent down and grabbed the sword before he shot his free hand out in her direction, making the pup recoil, "Come on."

She dare not budge, her lower lip trembling in remaining, well placed fear, "Are...are you going to kill me for listening to that wolf, Eirí?"

As he stared coldly at her, something inside him started to feel a little different. Was it because of the words the wolf told him? He didn't know, but he actually started to smell the sweet and sour scent of fear off of Auðrhildr. He told her not to fear him...but how could she not? After she first hand watched him murder their kin and felt the tip of his blade at her throat, how could he not expect her to be frightened by him?

...Yet, she still tried to defend him, just as the she-wolf said. After a long second, Eiríkr sighed lightly and sheathed his sword with gentle grace and wiped his fingers clean of the drying blood on the fallen leaves before this time gently holding out his hand to his sister. His cold eyes were replaced by careful, gentle ones and a softer voice, "No. I promise on my life as your brother, I will never ever hurt you or scare you like that again. You do not have to, but in my heart I pray you forgive me... Please, would you come with me to the main pack's den, Auðrhi?"

Auðrhildr sniffed his air as best she could with a stuffing nose, trying to see if he was being honest or not. She should shake her head and run from him, but carefully and with the last of her trust in her eyes, she put her trembling hand in his upon not smelling deceit. She let out a shaken gasped as he drew her close into a hug, "I am so sorry, Auðrhi...forgive me..."

Please forgive me.

/†\†/†\

Keric's eyes opened as the rays of light from the nearby window breached his room and reached for his skin. He sat up long before the light could spread past his warm beige hand as he ran it lazily through his light brown, nearly dirty blonde shag of hair and scratched at his scruffy beard of matching color. Today was the day that Wyatt and Delphi should be returning from Quebec, and he hoped that they learned something useful while up there.

He knew that Wyatt was at a dead end with the information that Keric gave him, times were much different back then: deadlier, uglier, and far more barbaric. He himself was different: younger, colder, but more of a warrior than he can say he is now. He knew of the μιγάς, but unfortunately, only to a point. He had only fought them, not studied them. Trying to remember something that happened more than a thousand years ago wasn't something an old wolf could easily bring up if he didn't know what to look for or remember. Keric let out a grumbling yawn and blinked lazily. He just hoped that it wasn't too late for them to learn something.

He started to glance over at his clock when his eyes fell upon the relic, his treasure, which blocked the digital from his immediate sight: a glass encased, rusted tekpi. It had endured centuries outside of the fingers and hands of its wielder, yet Keric had preserved it to the best of his abilities. He started at it with longing endurance, reaching over to tentatively touch the case. As he did so, he could feel his wolf give out a quiet whine in his mind that matched the sadness they both felt. The original owner's scent had been long gone throughout the eras and even now if he were to smell it, it would only bare the scent of rusting metal and his own. Still, he couldn't help it.

Keric lightly took off the case as he scooted out to properly sit on the side of his well, slept-in mattress and lifted the tekpi from its holding place with gentle care as if it could break at any given moment. He breathed in the scent on it that he and his wolf both knew would sourly disappoint them. He ran a careful hand over the metal. In his memories, he constantly sees her cloth covered smile when she first gazed upon him. Her deep chocolate eyes matched her Nubian skin, and tips of thick, wavy curls peeked from their holdings if not in her braided tied back tresses. As a vulgar, brash, and murderous pup, he didn't understand why he felt so draw to her, heh...the 'Charcoal wolf' he had called her. Talk about racial profiling at its most awkward. He didn't know he had found his mate at the age thirteen, and looking back on it, what would or could he have done if he did know at that age? If anything, she knew all too well by then. That's what made her leave the first time. He understood, but the times after that?

His rough thumb ran light circles over the worn down strings wrapped around the hilt. "Where are you now, sváss (beloved)?" Keric whispered brokenly against the tekpi as if it would answer his plea, "...Samira, where are you?"

Keric sat in silence; almost waiting for a prayer to be answered before he placed his head against the hilt like one would rub heads to their mate before carefully replacing it in its case. As he readied for the showers, silently hoping that Emmanuel hadn't used up all the hot water from the Beta floor last night, he could hear the sounds the Omega wolf Jeremy, already up and hard at work, cleaning the flooring down stairs. When was that young wolf going to realize that what happened in the past wasn't his fault? As much as he hates to even think about it, former Alpha Emmerich had made enemies with neighboring packs, and he didn't realize that the native packs here were not weak and cowardly like he thought they were. Who can go on feeling oppression from an unpromising tyrant forever?