Better Alive Than Dead Ch. 005

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Drex did not hesitate while the beast finished his red-skinned opponent. Using his momentum and agility, Drex skittered up the wall of the pit in a display of dazzling acrobatics and grabbed a metal spike with two of his four hands. Swaying back and forth, he successfully yanked it free. He landed hard on the metal floor of the pit, but weathered the fall by going into a forward roll.

The dead Thurkian lay on the metal floor, with his innards scattered in a gory mess. The creature paid the dead no heed, and instead circled and approached Drex slowly, baring its razor-sharp fangs, and letting its clawed hand run across the metallic floor. The beast was in no hurry with its next attack, proving that it possessed some kind of animalistic intelligence. Jack could see no eyes on the beast, so he was unsure if it acted on sight, smell or some other sense.

Drex wielded the spike in two hands, and the broken chain he had jerked free from the beast in the two others, like a whip. Drex backed away and, carefully placing his feet, traced a semi-circle. By slowing and quickening his movements he attempted to distract the thing, making it difficult for the creature to find an opening to pounce on.

Jack knew that if the beast assaulted, Drex had only one chance to kill it before he would be ripped apart. Suddenly, a tiny twitch and tensing of the beast, obscure to anyone but those with the sharpest eyes, the monster prepared to leap forward. Drex saw it and reacted just as the beast burst into motion, whipping the chain across the beast's deformed body.

As the monster thrashed forward Drex sidestepped and struck the creature with the spike.

The beast screeched and rammed into the steel structure built along the edges of the pit. It swayed from the impact with a screeching sound, and a few of the decorative skulls fell into the pit where they shattered against the metal floor.

The creature turned quickly and pounced on Drex once again, but Drex rolled forward, diving in between the creature's legs, tightening the chain around its right leg as he rolled past. As he was about to rise, the creature struck him with the clawed hand, and he fell on his back.

With panicked movements, Drex skittered backwards.

The creature screeched in victory and stormed forward, spurred on by its killer instinct and the coming bloodshed. The crowds cheered wildly. The chain roped around its deformed leg pulled at the structure, and Jack discovered Drex had fastened it to the steel structure of the pit. He had leashed the beast like a dog. The chain groaned and strained from the onslaught of the monster, and the metal structure swayed. Then the heavy chain snapped from the force of the creature's bestial charge, and the metal links scattered everywhere.

Fuck, this is it. He's dead.

Drex was on his feet again, but it was impossible for him to escape the fury of the grotesque monster.

Then suddenly, the whole structure started to collapse. With a piercing dreadful screech, the metal frame along with its many decorations dethatched itself, and plummeted downwards, bombarding the pit with metal spikes, skulls, and shrapnel.

The beast roared as sharp metal spikes punctured and ripped its pallid flesh and nailed it to the metal floor. Jack's hope grew, as he saw the beast unable to move, and Drex picking up an old metal blade.

The abomination twisted and turned, and through sheer bestial fury, it ripped itself free from the metal spikes with a shredding sound. The abomination made one last frenzied pounce towards Drex, as it spilled seemingly non-vital organs onto the floor of the pit.

Drex dove to the side in an agile roll just as the frenzied monster ran past, it's clawed hand and toothy maw finding no target.

Then the creature slumped to the ground, with a weakened roar. And with a final spasm and shudder the monster laid still. Expired in a pool of its own blood and entrails.

Drex lifted his arms and roared in victory to thunderous applause from the crowds.

Small chants of 'Drex, Drex, Drex,' could be heard from the crowd as the fatigued Skamiir fighter exited the pit. Relief washed over Jack, like cool water on a hot summer's day.

The Akarian next to Jack was excited and livid until he realized that Jack had won the bet. Then he turned red-faced and looked at Jack with froth in the corners of his mouth "The Skamiir did not defeat the Thurkian, that monstrosity did!"

Jack shrugged, unable to keep a small smirk from his face" I'm sure the masters of the games will disagree, do you want me to call someone over?" he asked, raising his hand in direction of the masters of the game.

The Akarian peered nervously towards the group of crimson-clad and masked individuals charged with keeping the games fair and honest. Within the pits, these individuals had full authority to deem a wager legitimate or not, and mete out any punishment for breaking the rules of the pit. More than a few unlucky gamblers had ended their existence at the hands of these jurors and executioners.

After a short pause, the Akarian reluctantly made the transfer. In the same instance, Jack saw the Yunakobē men disappear into the crowd. Jack set into motion quickly and didn't catch the Akarian's last gloomy remark.

He half-ran through the chanting crowds towards the fighter quarters. He would have to hurry to get to Drex before the Yunakobē.

Pushing his way through the dispersing crowds, going to collect their winnings or drink away the memory of their losses, Jack quickly reached the stairs leading to the quarters of the fighters.

A large Kormak stood as security by a staircase leading to the fighters' quarters, but he was busy being buttered up by a youthful-looking Zhemerian guy, dressed in clothing so tight that if he breathed in, it might rupture by the seams. His slender prehensile tail stroked the heavyset Kormak's arm bulging with muscle, and the two paid Jack no heed as he passed them silently.

He sprang down the stairs and walked quickly through the fighter's quarters trying not to garner unnecessary attention. The fighters' quarters were a literal maze, filled with scores of rooms and filled with fighters surrounded by their groupies and hangarounds. Jack grabbed the arm of a pretty and petite Akarian girl, and asked as discretely as possible for Drex, while pressing some money into her hand. The girl looked at him surprised, but after eyeing the money she pointed down the hall and told him which room.

Jack continued in quick strides towards the room, his eyes scanning for the Yunakobē. Reaching a solitary room that the girl had pointed out, Jack could see Drex's muscular back as he was packing some bloodied clothes into a duffel bag. Jack entered the dark and dank room, which was only lit by a single light strip, leaving half the diameter of the room in shadow. As he entered Drex spoke without turning to him.

"I'm not interested in joining any crews or helping you collect a debt owed, neither do I have time for offers about private fights or private sex encounters," Drex said still not turning "I don't care what you are paying." His voice was raw and tired.

"How about time for old friends?" asked Jack, unable to keep the warmth from emanating from his voice.

Drex spun around and looked at Jack with surprise. Then his mouth formed into a great smile and he rushed over.

"Jack! I haven't seen you in ages."

They both put their hands on each other's shoulders and put their foreheads together, the way of greeting friends among the Skamiir.

"Some Nova Hellions came for you some months back." spoke Drex, his eyes gleaming with enthusiasm.

"What did you do?"

"I wasn't home, but my wives were."

"And what did they do then?"

"What do you think? They broke them and sent them scattering like whimpering hounds." He laughed. A booming and warm laughter, that Jack realized he had missed.

He smiled, and nodded thankfully, then spoke with urgency. "I am sorry my friend but we do not have time, the Yunakobē are here. I know about the debt." Shame crossed Drex's face and his expression darkened.

"Join me on the hunts again, and let's make some money." Urged Jack, shaking his friend by the shoulders "Pay back the Yunakobē, take Jithara and Kithara away from here. Back to Thonria or anywhere else than here."

He could see a spark in Drex's eyes as he spoke, but it was quickly snuffed out, and then he shook his head. He looked tired and beaten. For the first time, Jack could see how much of a toll the last three years had taken on the proud Skamiir. He looked a decade older. And I thought I was burned out.

"My wives Jack."

"Your wives already signed off on it. Fuck the pits, let's return to the good old days. The old adventures, the old money."

Drex hesitated, looking at Jack intently to ascertain whether he was speaking the truth or not.

Jack nodded for emphasis "It's all good at home my friend, and I really need you for the next job."

Drex stood for a while digesting it, and Jack glanced nervously at the door, expecting armed men to storm in at any second. Then Drex nodded, a smile forming on his lips.

"Of course I will join you my friend!" He boomed.

"Perfect" Jack exclaimed excited, slapping the large Skamiir on the shoulder "Then let us leave before..."

"The old friends are re-united." sounded a cold voice from behind them.

Jack squinted into the darkness, and his lenses calibrated accordingly. He could make out a few shapes moving in the shadows. The Yunakobē, no doubt.

"Well, it seems fitting that you should die together," the cold voice continued. "After all, you were the one who got Drex into this mess to begin with."

Then Jack saw him as if he materialized from the shadows themselves. Tall as a mountain and lean as a knife, dressed in the signature black trappings of the Yunakobē. Kazuya. Hitman extraordinaire. Emerging with him was a handful of henchmen likewise dressed in black. They skirted around the pair, to block off any escape, their features just outside the reach of the ceiling light.

Kazuya smiled disarmingly and showed that his hands were empty. From his hip hung a katana forged from verithium, given only to a handful of the Yunakobē's most deadly assassins. With his bio-enhanced speed, Kazuya didn't need a gun to kill them both if he came within melee range.

With no hesitation, Jack pulled his gun with expert skill and held it towards Kazuya, before the assassin could step any closer.

"That's close enough."

The henchmen all drew weapons, lifting their guns towards the pair, and Jack could hear at least two swords be unsheathed, but Kazuya lifted a gloved hand to keep the killers in check. He stood still, a faint smirk dancing on his lips, but his dark eyes glinted dangerously.

"You should know better than to come between my organization and our prey."

"Well, when you are coming after me or mine, it is not something I can ignore."

Kazuya clicked his tongue "Indeed."

"I came here with an employment opportunity for Drex, so he can pay off the debts to your organization."

Jack tossed the credit chit that he had retrieved from his apartment at Kazuya's feet. Now with 10.000 extra from the Akarian gambler.

"Here is 35k for Drex debts, and you can have whatever payment from his winnings today. That should cover his debt until we can raise the rest of the money."

Kazuya looked at the credit chit at his feet, then up at the pair. He winced and grinned sardonically.

"Well, Drex was not supposed to survive the pit today. In fact, we had a lot of money betted that the abomination would end him."

Jack could feel Drex shake with anger behind him, and could hear the faint cracking sound as his four hands closed into fists. Kazuya could hear it too, but his composure remained relaxed, and the faint smirk did not evaporate. Drex and Jack had been working together for a long time, and although hardly a born diplomat, Drex knew it was better to let Jack speak in situations like these.

"How much?" asked Jack.

"How much what?"

"How much did you lose today?"

"A 100k. Drex's debt."

Jack hesitated, breathing through his nose slowly, to let the anger out as bile rose in his throat. This was a shakedown, and there was not a lot the two of them could do about it, least they wanted to wage war with the entire crime syndicate.

"We will match it. Give us time to work on some jobs for Anchara and we will match it." said Jack, not breaking eye contact with the hitman, and deliberately dropping Anchara's name in the hopes that this would soften the assassin's disposition.

Kazuya tapped his chiseled chin with a gloved finger, while his dark eyes watched them both with a touch of sadistic humor.

"The 100k was what we lost on the bet. We missed out on doubling that money. You owe us for that too. 200k."

Kazuya was pushing it, and it was an extortionate amount of money. But they were outmanned and outgunned, and starting a war with the Yunakobē was a sure death sentence. Five years ago, they would have been able to challenge it. Taken the road of violence and resistance. But things were different now. The old crew was gone. Drex had a family. A big one, Jack had learned. He knew that the wise and prudent thing would be to accept the offer, but these scum almost had Drex killed with that abomination, so he would be damned if he would let them squeeze them dry.

"Fine, 200k." Jack replied through gritted teeth. "But minus Drex's original debt, and minus the money we are paying now." He said it with a sternness and a tone that said; This is the counteroffer. Take it, or we shoot it out right now. He felt adrenaline increase as Kazuya lifted an eyebrow taken somewhat aback by Jack's boldness. Usually, the Yunakobē didn't give second chances to those marked for death, and discussing the terms of such a chance was unheard of. But Jack hoped that the Yunakobē was aware of Jack's creditor who would be livid with rage if they should kill her little paypig before it was fat enough to slaughter. Paradoxically, Jack's egomaniacal creditor was sometimes his best protection against the other gangs of Omicron. Maybe he was a gambler after all.

Kazuya hesitated for a minute, licking his lips as he mulled over the proposal. Then he smiled and nodded. "150K, first payment is 10% within the month. Every week the payment is late we take one of the blue children and toss it into an incinerator."

Drex head jerked, his eyes transfixed on Kazuya with murderous intent. In that instant, Jack knew the large Skamiir would pounce on Kazuya and rip him limb from limb. Don't do it big guy.

Scenarios shot through Jack's head as he assessed who to attack first and how. His palm holding the gun felt sweaty, and his heartbeat dropped and his vision funneled into the immediate. A strange slow-motion and clarity that happened just before things kicked off and mayhem ensued. Silence before the storm. Before the bloodshed.

Then surprisingly, Drex nodded gruffly, his powerful jaw grinding from side to side, as he suppressed his wrath. Jack felt the pressure of the situation lessen, and he realized that Drex would not attack.

Apparently, family life had changed the Skamiir.

Kazuya looked amused, seemingly unaffected by the prospect of fighting the two. Kazuya was an individual who lived for the thrill of danger and the prospect of violence. The possibility of his own death was not a significant concern of his.

"Let's go Drex. Let's gather your winnings." he said motioning for the exit. Drex looked hateful, but started walking.

Jack was about to follow, but Kazuya held up a hand "Not you. There is someone else here for you." He flashed Jack a Cheshire grin and added: "I would not want to be you right now."

From the doorway, Jack could make out the frame of a massive individual and his heart dropped. The Yunakobē assassins left the room with Drex in tow. The defeated Skamiir looked back at Jack to see if he needed support, but Jack just shook his head and smiled to show it was okay. No reason to complicate things further when they were so close to getting out. Jack couldn't wait to be out of this place.

If he would get out.

When Kazuya and his henchmen had left, the massive individual stepped in, and he was indeed unusually large -- even for a Kormak. As the large mammalian stepped into the light, Jack recognized Bolog's orca-like features. When he laid eyes on Jack his face beamed with a broad toothless grin, that somewhat veiled his sinister purpose.

"Jackie, you are back my comrade!". The great Kormak swept Jack off his feet in a crushing hug.

Jack didn't recall having done anything in particular to gain Bolog's infatuation, but somehow down the line, Bolog had decided they were great friends. Hence the 'comrade'.

During the Great Ascension, when humanity became part of a universe that proved to be much larger and more populated than previously dreamed of, the hastily conciliated government of Earth undertook a massive amount of cultural exchange programs, to learn about the other species, and teach them about Earth. For some reason, the years following these cultural exchange programs, the Kormak society experienced a literal renaissance in their societal structure and philosophy due primarily to Russian and German literature and music. Especially old communist and socialist literature. What had never found widespread success on earth, proved to be pretty successful on the Kormak home planet of Koragg-Ar.

Bolog was likewise infatuated with the communist ideology of old, calling his friends 'comrades' and wearing a badge with a cog crossed by a hammer. The mark of the Kormak Proletarian League. But not all comrades were equally liked by Bolog, a fact Jack had shamelessly misused in the past.

"I came here for T's money and to bring you to her." Bolog said nodding and smiling with his great toothless mouth.

"I don't have any money Bolog, I just gave everything I had to those cocks from Yunakobē. Thanks for the support by the way."

Bolog nodded knowingly "Threxia said you wouldn't have it, that's why I have to come get you."

"Bolog my comrade," Jack said smiling "can't you tell her I ran from you or that you arrived here too late?"

"No." The greak Komrak held up his massive hands in a dismissing fashion "Bring Jack here, Bolog. No excuses. That is what she said."

"Come on Bolog. Hardworking mammalians like you and me must stick together against the arthropod bourgeoisie."

Bolog hesitated, reflecting on his words, but when Jack tried to move past the great Kormak, he blocked the exit with his large frame.

"Just move Bolog." Jack spat annoyed, trying to push past the great Kormak.

"No."

Jack felt anger swell within him. Loyal inept brute.

"Bolog I have the opportunity to make some real money that will put me ahead in my debts to Threxia, and help out Drex and his family. I can't do that if you bring me to her. Help a comrade out."

"T said to bring you, so that is what I'm going to do. She is a comrade too." Bolog said nodding and smiling warmly. In a fit of desperation Jack pulled something that he deep inside knew would never work. He attacked the big brute. He instantly regretted it, as his fist connected with Bolog's massive skull. But it was too late to alter course now. He followed it up with a thrust kick to the Kormak's left knee, that made Bolog stagger. Jack pushed past, running through the door, but Bolog's huge frame belied his speed, and a heavy four-digeted hand took hold of Jack's shoulder and squeezed it with so much force it felt like it his bones would crack.

The Kormak chuckled, a wet throaty chuckle, like a drowning frog. "You are funny Jackie. You knew that wouldn't work."