Better Than New Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His eyes went wide, telling me what I suspected. He had the access and wherewithal to have checked up on her. He obviously cared very deeply for her or he would have long since abandoned her.

"That must have been very painful for her," he said at last.

"Yes. It took a lot of courage to admit all those things to me. It took a lot of trust, too."

"She must love you very much, Mr. Keating."

"Yes ... I think she does. I know I love her very much. You should also know that I am coming off a failed marriage that ended just over a year and a half ago."

"Do you feel responsible for the failure of your marriage?"

"Somewhat. I failed to give my wife what she wanted. She desired status and image. I wasn't able ... or to be truthful ... willing to provide that. I am what I am; a bodyshop guy."

For the first time since I'd stepped into his plush government office, I saw just the hint of a smile on Franklin Gordon's lips. "I don't get the feeling you're ashamed of that."

"No. It's what I do, and according to those who know, I do it well."

He nodded, now smiling fully. "You don't really need my permission, do you?"

"I suppose not ... but I think both of us would be a lot happier if we had it."

Again, he nodded. "Consider it given. I would like to talk to my daughter, Mr. Keating."

"Of course ... and it's Val, sir. My proper name is Valentine David Keating."

"And I'm Franklin, but most people just call me Frank."

"I'd like to talk to Mrs. Gordon, if she'll permit it. If there's any way that I can help Doreen and her reconcile, I'd like to try."

He sighed, then a rueful smile. "If you'd have suggested that a few years ago, I would have said it would be hopeless. But lately ... I'm not so sure. I think your timing might be right, but only just. Would you like me to set it up?"

"That would be very helpful, Frank. Thank you."

"You should be aware that Mrs. Gordon does not know about Doreen's ... misadventures. I don't think it would be a good idea to bring them up."

"Understood."

Monday, May 24th, 2:05pm

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Gordon. I'm Valentine Keating."

"Come in Mr. Keating. My husband told me to expect you."

"Do you know why I'm here?"

"Frank said you had asked his permission to marry Doreen. That seemed very old fashioned to him ... but not to me."

"Doreen has been very honest about her past and her relationship with you."

"You mean lack of relationship, don't you?" I couldn't detect any warmth in this woman.

"I suppose so. That's one of the reasons I wanted to talk to you."

"Go ahead."

"What happened to Doreen happened a long time ago. She has changed. So much so that I would be surprised if you recognized her. I don't know what you know about her presently, but she is the administrative manager of my business, and she is doing very, very well. She has accepted her mistakes and has lived a trouble-free life for over ten years.

"I know that your feelings about her were very strong at the time, but I wonder if this isn't the time to forgive and forget. We intend to start a family. She is your only child, and we will produce your only grandchildren. I can't believe you wouldn't want to be a part of their lives."

During my entire dialogue, she hadn't moved a muscle, or even blinked. It was like talking to a stone statue. I was sure I hadn't reached her until I saw a single tear form at the corner of her eye, then trickle down her cheek. She didn't move for several seconds, then bowed her head. I saw her shoulders shake as she wept silently. I sat back and waited.

She reached for a tissue, and dabbed at her eyes.

"I've been arguing with myself for a long time, Mr. Keating. I know I was upset, but for the wrong reasons. Doreen knew that too. I was more worried about my social standing than the health and comfort of my daughter. I'm ashamed of myself for that. I'm even more ashamed that I didn't have the courage to forgive her and tell her so. Now ... after all these years ... I wouldn't even know how to start."

"There's going to be a wedding soon. You'll be invited. It seems to me that just being there would say what needs to be said."

She looked carefully at me, nodding her agreement slowly. I thought I saw the beginning of more tears, but she managed to hold them back.

"I guess if I'm going to be your new son-in-law, you should call me Val. It's how everyone knows me."

"Very well, Val. And please, call me Sandra. Frank and I will be at your wedding. Maybe by then I can work up the nerve to apologize to my daughter."

"It might not be as hard as you think. Anyway, I'm sure Doreen will be very happy that you'll be there."

"I hope so."

Friday, June 11th, 9:00am

"Well, everyone's here, so why don't we get started," Warren Beeson smiled. "The first order of business is to congratulate Valentine and Doreen on their engagement. The ring is lovely, my dear."

"Thank you. We'll let you all know when we've set the date," she smiled demurely. "Now ... back to business. Here are the photographs of the three candidates," Doreen said, passing out copies around our meeting room table.

"The first is marked BK2-1, a pre-war Packard currently located in Lubbock, Texas. It's a mess, if the pictures are anything to go by. What did you think, Val?"

"It looks bad in the photos, but in fact, it's not as bad as that. Dad documented what he thought was missing from the engine and mechanicals, and it wasn't anything we couldn't find or replace. The body is a mess, naturally, after having been stored in a barn all those years. The convertible top is long gone, but the ribs and frame are still there. Did you have any luck tracking down the information from the builder's plate, Doreen?"

"Yes. It's a 1935 V-12 Model 1208. Not rare, but scarce. It might get a hundred thousand in concours condition."

"That makes it a borderline choice then," Warren said, waiting for agreement.

"Yes. Borderline. I think we need something a bit more exotic," I said.

"Okay, how about BK2-2 then," Doreen asked. "It's another pre-war American car, an Auburn Boattail Speedster, a model 851, 1935. It's located in Sparks, Nevada. This one is a much better proposition. A fully restored, authenticated one sold at Pebble Beach for $450,000 this year. So, if we can document it, it has a lot of potential."

"I agree, young lady," Warren enthused. "This is exactly what we have been looking for. Do you have any idea what it will cost to acquire it, Val?"

"Less than a hundred thou, for sure. I can see us pumping almost two hundred into it, so it will have to be done just right and shown at just the right place too."

"Why don't we make an offer then?" Warren suggested to the group.

"You okay with this, Dad?" I asked.

"Yeah. It's a V-12 too, but nothing we can't handle. It'll be the brakes, suspension, and running gear that will provide the fun. I'm fine with this."

"Good. We have a project. Just for information sake, what was the third item?"

"A 1957 Thunderbird that supposedly belonged to some movie actor. It's in original condition, but not good condition. We found it in Indian Wells, sitting in a very shoddy looking used car lot," Doreen said. "Why someone didn't see it and snap it up, I don't know, unless, like me, they didn't believe that any movie star's car would end up in a dump like that."

"Have you got a trace on the ownership?" Warren asked.

"Under way. The greaseball that owns the lot wants five grand for it, but it's not driveable. I think we can deal on this one, even if it's not authentic. A good T-Bird sells for some nice dollars if it looks right ... especially a '57," I said. "We could handle this one in the regular shop and do a 'frame off' and still come out ahead."

"Why don't we buy it then?" Doreen suggested. "It sounds like we should be able to turn a profit no matter who owned it."

The vote was unanimous. Item BK2-3 was our first purchase.

"Who wants to be the buyer?" Carolyn asked.

"Dad, why don't you give it a try. You can be the back-yard mechanic who always wanted to have a T-Bird," I said.

"Sure. Should be some fun. How do you want me to do this, by phone?"

"Try that first, then if that doesn't go well, we can send Doreen down there and seduce him out of it," I laughed.

She turned a bright pink at the suggestion, but a warm hand from Warren took away the embarrassment.

"So ... Beeson, Keating & Keating is officially in business," Warren grinned. "I can't wait to get started. We'll be showing at Keeneland in Kentucky in mid-July, then off to Pebble Beach in August, and Sacramento in Mid-September. We were too late to be officially entered in the Pebble Beach Concours, but we are entered in the Bugatti Rally. Naturally, the Mercedes will be around to be seen at Monterey as well. I've got the transporters all teed up, ready to go."

"Paul says our website will be ready in two weeks. He claims it will be 'Elegance Personified,'" Doreen laughed. "That and our showing at the concours events will give us a jump start on promotion."

"By the way," I said, "that MG TF is going out the door to its owner next week. It really looks great, and it's going to be a show car too, I understand."

"Well, we might not be able to claim it as a BK2 project, but the same hands did the work, so I'm not shy about promoting it with the owners permission," Warren crowed.

"That won't be a problem. He thinks he's got a concours winner himself," I laughed.

"Carolyn ... would you and Doreen get together with Warren to set up the payments as needed. We've got cash on hand for the T-Bird, but the Auburn will require some negotiating. Warren and I will be going to Sparks to deal directly with the owner, possibly as soon as this weekend. We won't want this one to slip through our fingers."

My father spoke up. "I understand the guy was trying to restore it himself and got in too deep. Is that true?"

"Yes," Doreen quickly replied. "His wife told me that she could see their life savings disappearing, so she's anxious to have him sell it quickly. It'll probably break his heart, but better that than break the bank."

"We won't get many chances like this, so let's take advantage of the opportunity," Warren said.

The first meeting of our new partnership was adjourned with each of us knowing what was expected next. It was exciting to see it all come together as quickly as it did, but I kept reminding myself that I had 'Better Than New' to run as well, and I couldn't take my eye off the ball.

"Nervous?" Doreen asked as she wrapped her arms around me.

"A little. I don't want to have this all get out of control. I'm used to having everything under my thumb, but this is going in several directions at once."

"That's why I'm here. You're using the same workforce for both businesses. It's just that your banker for BK2 is Warren. We're providing organization and expertise. Your father is committed a hundred percent to this venture, just like Warren. Carolyn will guard the finances and monitor the expenses. We'll know soon enough if things get out of hand."

I kissed her and squeezed her to me. "Serendipity."

"What?"

"Serendipity. Fate. The thing that brought us together at the golf course one day a year ago. None of this would have happened without that. Paul and I have agreed that we will hold June 20th as a special anniversary that we will joyfully celebrate every year."

"I was calling it luck, but I suppose there are a hundred names for it. Whatever, I'm very, very happy," she sighed.

"If you're so happy, how come I can't pin you down on a date for our wedding?"

"Don't be in such a rush. I've just moved in with you. Who knows what things I'm going to discover about you."

"Don't change the subject ... it's time we decided on at least an approximate date."

She stopped, looked at me for a few moments, her face scrunched up ... perhaps in thought?"

"Okay ... September, after Warren gets back from Sacramento."

"There ... that wasn't so hard, was it?"

"We have a lot to do between now and then," she warned.

"I'll help with the guest list. As far as the arrangements and other stuff ... you did a great job with Carolyn's wedding. Why don't you just 'ditto' that?"

The look of disgust on Doreen's face was unmistakeable. "You don't just 'ditto' someone else's wedding. It's a very personal thing ... especially to a woman. I've never been married before, and I'm planning on this one to be the only one. It's a big deal, Val. Don't you go bailing out on me."

"Okay, okay ... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't care. I care a lot. But you and Carolyn have experience, so it makes sense for you two to organize things. I'm here to help when you need me."

It was quiet for a while before Doreen spoke again. "It's our first argument, isn't it?"

"Yeah ... I guess it is. So ... should we have some make-up sex to end it?"

"Here?"

"I'm game if you are," I grinned, cocking an eyebrow.

"God, no. Somebody ... anybody could come walking in. But ... I do like the idea," she smirked.

"Care for a long lunch at the house?"

"Let's go."

Sunday, June 20th, 2:10pm

"Well, here's to our special anniversary," I said, raising my mug.

The responses were a mixture of "Skoal" and "Cheers."

It's only been one month and already you two are an old married couple," I kidded.

"And loving it!" Paul responded quickly.

"I never thought I'd hear that from San Rafael's most eligible bachelor," I said, shaking my head.

"Neither did I," Paul replied promptly again. "But it just goes to show you what happens when you find just the right woman at just the right time." He leaned over and kissed Carolyn, who was beaming with pride.

I put my arm around Doreen's shoulders, and squeezed her gently. "You'll notice nothing's changed however. Doreen still beat us all," I moaned.

"I'm playing more often, so I'm getting better."

"I wish I could say the same thing. Carolyn's game was much better today," I suggested.

"That's because I wasn't distracted by Paul hitting on me the whole way around like he did last year."

"You aren't really complaining, are you?" Doreen asked in wonder.

"No ... I suppose not. I've got my own personal nerd to look after me, and he's very good at that. Very good!"

Nothing subtle about that, I thought. I was happy for them both. It really was amazing that the four of us had connected so quickly and now, it would appear, permanently.

"Well, we've finally decided on September 25th for the wedding," I announced. "Doreen's booked the church and the hall next door. All the invitations are going out next week. Looks like about sixty to seventy people all told."

"That's great. So now it's a case of which of us gets to start a family first," Paul suggested.

"No fair," Doreen laughed. "You guys got a head start."

"Don't you worry, love," I said. "I'm told on good authority that the men in my family have very potent seed. But, just to be sure ... we'll have to practice, practice, practice."

When the laughter died down, all four of us went quiet for a time. I think we were all just thankful for the past year and the gifts we had been given. For me, what seemed like the bottom, went all the way to the top. Not bad.

To Be Concluded...

Editing by ErikThread and DaveT with my thanks for their thoroughness and helpful suggestions. Any errors are mine.