Beyond Blood & War

Story Info
Love on the battlefiled.
6k words
4.41
10.4k
9
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A/N: Okay this is a new story that I am trying out for the first time. It has always been on my mind, so I finally decided to put it on paper. I don't know if I will finish it or not,but I am just trying it out.All of my main characters are black, with the exception of one. Anyways,I hope someone will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it. And thanks to rexbrookdale for helping with editing this story.

*

"A menace to society is what I would have been called. In fact, I don't think I could be called a 'menace to society', not when society had actually given up on me, casting me aside like the piece of trash that I was. Not only had I been deemed trash, I was also deemed a killer, a thug -- or, rather, a thugette in certain parlance. Nothing but a burden to society, to be discarded.... It was no use for me to deny, or speak against these things, because these words were coming from my loved ones.... Or so I had thought.

"For a while I had accepted it, and believed what they said about me. I had even laughed right along with their hurtful words, and said those things about myself when in casual conversation with strangers, or whenever I had robbed someone of their livelihood ... or even worse."

As Lillie sat in the front row, tears running down her face, her heart swelled with pride, admiration, and shock as her star pupil stood on stage, head held high, giving the valedictorian speech to her graduating class. When the two had first met, Lillie had to admit she could never have imagined her standing in a cap and gown, about to enter one of the most prestigious colleges in the nation on full scholarship; a free ride, no less.The hard-as-nails, bull-headed teenaged girl who had greeted Lillie with a spit in the face upon their first encounter, had come a long way,

"But right now as I stand before all of you, I no longer think of myself as such. I no longer let anyone no matter who they may be, call me those awful things. I am a proud young Latina woman as I stand before you today with a bright future ahead of her, and not the low-life degenerate I was, four years ag ... ag ... ago ohhhh. Oh dear, I'd promised myself I would not cry. So much for being a tough, independent woman."

The crowd laughed in appreciation of her joke. She placed a hand over heart as she felt the crowd's emotions welling inside her. But the moment Cassandra locked eyes with Lillie and saw tears running down her face, her heart stilled.

"I stand before you today as the first Latina woman in my family, going to Harvard on a full scholarship in Speech Pathology, with a minor in History. And I owe all of this to my mentor, my hero, my mother I never had, Miss Bernard. Come on, Miss Bernard, please stand up so everyone can see you."

Lillie covered her face, suddenly feeling bashful. Why had she not expected Cassandra to put her on the spot in front of everyone? Of course, she should have known this would happen.

"Oh, stop being so damned shy. Stand up, be proud of the girl you delivered from the dark and mean streets of Chicago. Please?"

Lillie finally rose to her feet and turned to wave to the crowd as they applauded her. She turned back around to see Cassandra, who beamed as she stepped down the stairs, mic in hand, to embrace her.

"Ladies, and gentlemen. This is the woman responsible for changing me into a better human being. I am now so grateful that I have her in my life. Thank you so much Miss Bernard. Words can never express how much gratitude I have for you. Thank you."

"You are very welcome, sweetheart, and I am very proud of you. I hope nothing for the best for you from here on out. My love will always be with you, dear never forget that."

The principal hopped on stage to gave the final farewell speech.

Lillie placed a hand over her heart to calm her herself, as the graduating seniors placed their tassels to the left side of their caps, and then instantly stood up to cheer.

"You know you are the first person ever to say that to me. You just don't know how much that means to me. Thank you for saying it." Lillie whispered in her ear.

"And I am pretty sure as you can tell I will never let you down."

"I will. I will."

~*~*~

Eight months later...

"So, are you going to just sit there and mean mug the wall, honey?" Lillie stared at the young girl. "Alright then, since you won't speak to me, I guess I can just sit back and enjoy my lunch while you sit there with an ugly pout on your face." Lillie continued to stare at the girl as she opened her chicken and tangerine salad.

Taking a small forkful, she leaned back in her chair, lifting it to her mouth and scrunching her eyes in anticipated bliss. Her eyes opened slightly opened as she heard rumbling.

A stomach, crying out for food ... the sound was coming from the girl. Lillie watched closely, to see that the girl remained in place, staring at the wall. With a shurg of her shoulder, she continued eating. She will talk soon. I know it, Lillie thought. She continued to eat her food watching the girl continue to pout. To add insult to injury, she then began to hum a sweet tune, one calculated to irritate the poor girl. When the girl still would not talk, she began humming louder, and chewing her food louder.

This went on for quite some time, until finally the girl's starvation forced her to speak up. Lillie looked over, and the girl shaking her head in sadness.

"Lady, you just don't know who you are messing with. You have no idea what the hell I have been through."

Lillie placed her fork down and quickly swallowed. "I may not know exactly, now, my dear, but in due time I will find out. I can tell you are trying to put up a tough exterior because you were raised by an abusive, drug-addicted mother, and an absentee father. So you are very correct, my dear. I may not know exactly who you are as a person, but I do know your story. And it's just like every other girl that comes into my office."

The girl shot her head up, with a hateful smirk. "Oh, do you, bitch? Well, bitch, I hate to tell you, but you may be right, but that does not give you an excuse to look down on me."

"Why would I look down upon you dear, just because of where you came from?" Lillie gave her a quizzical look.

"Oh, please, don't give me that look."

"What look? And sweetie, I can never look down on any of the girls I save. Why would you assume such things?"

"Because I know black females like you only want to help females like us when it's only convenient. You honestly expect me to believe that you give a damn about me, instead of the paycheck you are getting?"

Lillie sat, calmly shaking her head. "Yes, that's exactly what I want you to believe. Do you really think every summer I take time out of the year, spending money on a plane ticket and a week's worth of food, saving young women such as yourself from the mean, evil streets of Chicago.... Trust me, honey, I spend way more than I make. That measly check they offer is of no use to me. I come here every year because I want to. This is not the type of job one should go into, expecting to make big bucks. Hell, this is the type of job one has to get two or three other jobs, just to get by." When she felt the girl grow shocked, Lillie knew she had her right where she wanted her. "So. Cut the shit, dear. I am not here for it. I am here because I want to be here. I am here, because I have a purpose. I am here because I am one of the few that actually gives a damn about you, and any other girl out there."

No longer resistant, the girl simply just sat in the chair, nodding her head.

"Now that we got our little spat out the way. Can I offer you some food?"

With huge tears running down her face, the hunger pains taking over, the girl finally let out a loud yelp for help, and nodded her head. She wept and wept. Lillie finally couldn't take anymore of the girl's pain. She got up from her desk chair, and walked around to hug her.

"Ma'am, I am scared, and I am about to just give up on everything. I hate it, I hate this world, I hate my mother, and I hate me. You just don't, yo.... Uhh.... Jussst...."

"Shhhhh, it's going to be okay. You are here now, to get help. That's all that matters now. Cry it out, and let it all out. I am here for you." As Lillie said this she continued to rub the girl's back making her cry even more. Maybe this would release all the pain the girl was feeling, she thought hopefully.

>~<

Lillie stepped through the threshold of her front door and instantly kicked off her stuffy shoes. "Oh dear God, I am finally home, after a looonnnng day." She began to rub the back of her neck as she walked barefooted across the living room floor onto the cool title of her kitchen. She reached for the fridge, and looked inside with a blank expression at the nothingness that filled it. "Pizza it is, then." She grabbed the cordless, and quickly speed-dialed the local pizza joint. A small smirk crossed her face when she heard Don's voice. "Hey Don, dear, can you please some over with a large, extra-veggie pizza, please? And thank you."

The call ended, she began to search through the day's voicemail. Her Aunt had called. She pushed the speed dial, and placed the phone against her ear. After the first ring she heard her Aunt picked up the phone.

"Hey there, baby how you been doing?"

"I am doing just fine, Auntie. How are you?"

"I am good, I went to therapy today, and the doctors say that I am getting better and better. Is that job getting to you, yet?"

"Ha," Lillie replied good-naturedly. "I am good and the job can get stressful at times, but it's also rewarding at the mere fact that I am taking young girls off the streets. I mean, I put way more money into this than I do making it, but I genuinely want to help these girls, hell, any kids for that matter. It's not in my nature to not do anything."

"You were always a bleeding-heart liberal, weren't you? Always trying to save the world, when you are helpless yourself."

"Oh, Auntie, don't say that. I am fine, and I can take care of myself, it's these kids that I am worried about. When I no longer give a damn about them, who else will?"

"The other people at the job. Lillie, I keep telling you that you are different from the rest, and different from other women. Maybe I am just saying that because I raised you, and I love you, but sweetie, I have a feeling that job will soon be too much for you, and you soon may not handle what's to come with it."

Lillie leaned against the counter, rolling her eyes. "Yes, I know; you keep telling me this every time we talk. But seriously, Auntie, I am fine. There is nothing for me to fear there, but fear itself. If it makes you feel any better, I carry around pepper spray, and a stun gun." She heard her aunt laugh on the other end.

"Baby, you are in Chicago, the most murderous city in the U.S., right up there next to New York. I fear for you everyday that you are there, especially regarding how special you are. You just don't know how dangerous it could be, or could get; that's why I moved us to North Carolina."

"Yeah right, but you are forgetting that is dangerous out there too, what with all those bloodthirsty mosquitoes." She heard heartwarming laughter, and her own heart warmed. It always made Lillie feel good knowing that she could make someone crack a smile.

"Girl, you are too silly. Anyways, I think my cookies are burning; let me call you back. I love you, and miss you."

"Alright, I love you too."

As soon as Lillie laid down the phone, the doorbell rang, reverberating throughout the house. Grabbing her purse, she went to the front door.

She opened it with excited anticipation, only to be bewildered at the sight before her eyes.

"Oh my God, Junior; what happened to your face?" Panic rose inside her. In all her years of ordering from her favorite pizza place, and having Junior deliver her food, she had never seen him come to her door with a beat-up face.

She reached out a hand to touch him, and felt searing pain course along up inside her.

"Deacon Ross paid us a visit; that's what happened, Lillie."

"But for why? What you guys did to him?" At hearing the god-awful name, a shiver of dread went up her spine. If there was one man on earth she was fearful of, it was Deacon Ross. She herself had had a run-in with him, due to her mission work; but he had never done anything physically harmful to her ... as of yet. He was truly a monster, and he relished knowing people feared him.

"Nothing. We asked him to leave, and we even threatened to call the police, and we did; but that proved to have no effect. He kicked the living shit out of me after I refused him, and demanded that he leave."

"Oh, God, come on in. Is this your last stop for the night? How come you did not go to the hospital?"

He walked in and handed her the pizza box, then proceeded to flop down on the couch. "Yeah. It's my last stop for the night. Thank God, and the reason why I did not go to the hospital is 'cause it would have been no use. Just like all of the rest of Deacon Ross's victims. Plus I just don't like hospitals, but I am fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I am. Now that I'm here with you, Lillie."

"Ohhh kayyy." She rolled her eyes, lightly touching him, gauging the extent of the injuries.

"Ohh.... Please, don't give me that look. You always knew I had a damn crush on you. Even though you are you older than me, I still think you are a damn fox. But now I have come to this realization: me, and you can never be."

"Oh, stop being so 'gloom and doom'. You have a girlfriend, and I've known you for years. I love you, dear; but not in that way. Now. Shut up and let me heal you." She gently placed her hands on his face, concentrating.

Within seconds, his face had healed. He looked up at her with a smile, the pain having vanished, too. "Thanks Lil. You have always been good to me."

"You are welcome. Now, since this will be your last stop for the evening, call your dad and tell him you will be spending the night."

He reached out, and touched her hand. "Wow maybe I should come to your home beat-up more often, if you are going to be this nice to me. I would love to stay."

"Cool; we can share the pizza. Let me go you some blankets and pillows. Even though you are staying the night, you will be sleeping on the couch, buddy boy."

>*<

She tossed and turned in bed, unconsciously emitting small, soft moans, as the midnight breeze blew in through her open window and caressed her skin.

He felt longing and need rise up inside him as he stood in the doorway, watching her sleep. He had always liked her, even though she was older by five years; he'd always had the biggest crush on her. She, of course, had always blown him off, but that had never stopped him from adoring her.

He did everything he could to not go over and just touch her for a second. His willpower gone, he had just taken a few stealthy steps toward her bed, when the vibrations in his pocket stopped him in his tracks.

Quietly he retraced his steps back into the hall, leaving her bedroom door ajar, peeking back to check to see if she had heard anything. Then he answered the phone with alacrity, stepping outside onto the front porch.

"Hello?" he answered, his heart in his throat.

"How is she doing?"

"She's doing fine, sir. Sound asleep."

"Good. I am going to need you to check around her home for anything useful. Dig up everything you can about her. See if you can get any information on how she is finding my girls. I want to know how she's taking them out of the stables."

"Sure thing."

"And Junior, don't get yourself caught. I don't like for my female victims to be put on edge too soon. Stay sweet, and humble."

"Yeah, I got it. Trust me, she been knowing me for the last few years now, and I doubt she distrusts me yet. I am in her home after all, and she even bought the 'you kicking my ass' story. So don't worry, Mr. Ross, everything is going smoothly." Junior hung up his cell phone quickly, and quietly stepped back insider the house.

>~<

Lillie awoke as the warm breeze caressed her face. She looked outside to see the sun shining, bright and early, and heard the birds chirping away. She slid out of bed with ease, grabbing her favorite bathrobe and slippers, and started making her way down to the living room.

"Good morning, sunshine. Did you sleep well last night?" Junior greeted her, sitting on the couch, flipping through the TV channels.

"Yeah, I did. Did you?"

"As always, baby. Thanks to you, of course. My little, magical human. You know, the world should know about people like you, and what you can do. It could save lots of people."

"If the world knew about me, and what I can do, then I would have the government come knocking down my door trying to take me away, to get studied. No bueno, señor. By the way, have you told anyone else about me?"

"Nope! Why would I?" His answer was cool and smooth.

"I just asked, because a lot of people turned on me, is all. They have taken my kindness for weakness, and used it against me."

He turned toward her with a warm smile; with a cool hand, he touched her shoulder. "Is healing, and being an empath, the only things you can do?"

"Ummm as far as I know, yeah. Why?"

"Because, dear, once you reach the Wonder-Woman-level of great, awesome, super powers, that's when the big dogs will come rolling in. Until then, you are just a lame-ass, regular human with lame-ass, regular, abilities."

"Ugh. Ha ha, asshole." She aimed a playful hit at his head. "I will have you to know that I sometimes take pride in my abilities, and what I can do. Jerk."

"Aw, you know I am just teasing .... But seriously Lil, your secret has always been safe with me. I would never rat you out to the big dogs even if I could, or even if they believe a guy like me."

"Well, that's nice to hear. So, what you got planned for the day? I thought you would be on your way home by now."

"Ahhh. Nah, I just called my pops, and told him I will not be coming in for the day. And as for as my plans ... I was thinking I could stay for a little while, and then be on my way to take care of my own business, hell maybe even stop my chicks house, and get some pussy."

"Ugh. Do you have to be so damn vulgar? Oh, good lord."

"Yes. When it comes to you, I have to be, since we cannot take our relationship to the next level. Plus, I just like saying the word 'pussy'. It has a nice ring to it."

"You naughty boy, you."

Despite his banter, Junior could not help but to stare at her. She was so damned pretty. His attention was broken when she spoke up again.

"Anyways, it's about time for me to get to work, and walk the streets to get more frightened, helpless souls."

He watched her gracefully rise up off the couch, and then make her way back to her bedroom, He tried his best to keep his emotions in check, despite her promise that she would not read them. "Alright. You are going to hop in the shower?"

"Of course, silly goose. Anyways I am going to be in there for about ten minutes, so help yourself to the fridge."

"Will do." Instead, he said still, for what seemed like forever. He balled up his hands in guilty anticipation as anxiety plagued him. Within seconds he released a sigh of relief as soon as he heard the shower run. Wasting no time, he jumped om his feet. And began to search around. Quietly he ransacked through her kitchen, the guest bathroom, the living room, and hall closet. Coming up with nothing, he let out a curse. Looking up toward her bedroom door, he could still hear the shower going. He timidly stepped into the long hallway, and had just approached the threshold to her bedroom, when he noticed a door at the end of it. But before he could move, he heard shower shut off. With quite rapid speed, he quickly made for the living room, jumping on the couch, and sitting in the exact position as the one when she'd left. He did not have long to wait; Lillie appeared in her robe, with a shower cap on her head.

12