Beyond the Setting Sun

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kurrginatorX
kurrginatorX
1,040 Followers

"The simple fact that you thought enough of me to even do so much means the world to me, Thomas. It is the most beautiful gesture anyone has ever made for me."

"I meant what I said. You have me forever. I will never leave your side."

"Nor I, yours." We kissed. "Make love to me again?"

"Like you even need to ask."

The following night, Allison and I were walking the ship's deck around ten-thirty. We stopped and looked into the sky at the full moon. There was a light cloud covering in the atmosphere that refracted the moon's light, creating the illusion of a ring. Allison and I just stood there, holding hands, looking at that marvelous creation as a warm wind blew past us.

A couple out for a stroll came upon us. It was a black couple. The woman was visibly in her early seventies, while the man, much like myself to Allison, was twenty-plus years her junior. They stopped, and the woman said, "Elijah, they look every bit in love as we did their age, don't you think?"

He nodded. "Every bit, Nichelle."

"And we will be every bit in love as you two are now when we reach your age," Allison said with a smile.

Nichelle leaned over and kissed Allison on the cheek. "Keep your passion for each other, and your passion for life will never wane."

"Thank you," Allison replied.

"That up there? It's called a moonbow," Elijah told us. "It's even more powerful than a rainbow. You make a wish on that, and there isn't any power on earth that can keep it from coming true." He looked at Nichelle. "I got my wish, and I'll never let it go." They kissed in front of us, then continued on their way.

I looked at the moonbow, then at Allison. I closed my eyes for a moment, then opened them again. "I got my wish, too ..."

"... and I'll never let it go," Allison finished.

We kissed, and at that moment I literally felt myself fall deeper in love with her. I know it was true, for my heart ached. Not painfully, but from all the love I held for her.

Toward the end of the cruise, Allison became ill. At first, we thought she may have gotten food poisoning, but that was quickly ruled out. The ship's doctor suggested that it could just be a delayed case of sea sickness, but she wanted to take a urine and blood sample just to be sure. The following day, we returned to sick bay for the results, and she excitedly announced, "You guys are pregnant!"

We just stared at each other. I don't think either of us ever considered the possibility of this happening, but now that it had, it was something we had to deal with. The doctor suggested that Allison seek out an OB/GYN upon our return home, then congratulated us once again.

Upon returning to our cabin, I asked, "How do we handle this?" for I surely didn't know.

"How do you think we should?" Allison responded.

"I would love nothing more than to have you give birth to our child," I told her.

"Let's be real about this, Thomas. You are an intelligent man; therefore, I don't have to tell you what risks are involved."

"I understand, but ..." and I began to cry.

"Oh, honey," Allison said as she cradled me in her arms. "What is it?"

"I'll love our child regardless of how he or she may come out," I said as I held onto her.

"It's not just that, Thomas," she said in way of warning. "There is a lot to consider. First, I am forty-seven years old, which means there are certain problems that can arise not only with the child, but myself as well. Second, the fact that you and I are so closely related could mean that certain birth defects can manifest themselves either physically, mentally, or both. There is also a greater risk for the baby being stillborn, dying of SIDS ... There is just a lot to consider."

I pulled myself up and said, "I would never ask you to put yourself at risk, Allison. I love you too dearly to be that selfish. Although I would cherish this experience with you, ultimately it has to be your choice, and I will abide by that regardless of what you choose."

"Thank you for that, Thomas. I really needed to feel that from you right now."

I kissed her. "I'm feeling something else," I said with a smile.

She lay back, placed the back of her right hand against her forehead, and said, "Ravage me, you ungodly beast."

I didn't ravage her, but made the same sweet, slow love to her that we always shared.

Upon our return home, Allison couldn't help but to show off her ring, or the video of the wedding. All her friends thought it to be the most romantic ceremony they had ever seen, while all my friends jokingly cursed me for being so lucky as to find a woman so completely wonderful as my new bride.

I accompanied Allison to her first OB/GYN appointment and immediately liked Dr. Liu. She was honest and upfront about everything insofar as the risks of a woman Allison's age giving birth were concerned, and she promised to monitor the pregnancy closely as, "I see a lot of couples come through my doors, and I don't doubt for a minute that they love each other, but I can see that you two are truly in love, and we're going to do all we can to make this little miracle happen for you."

A few days later, Allison received a call from Dr. Liu's office. Actually, we were making love when the call came in, so it wasn't until afterward that she reviewed the message. She put it on speakerphone: "Allison, I need you to come to my office at your earliest convenience." That was it. Nothing more.

"What could it mean?" I asked worriedly.

She smiled. "Oh, I'm sure she just wants to prescribe me some prenatal vitamins and what-not. She probably has an exercise routine mapped out for me as well."

"Do I need to go with you?"

"Thomas, I know you're worried, and I appreciate that, but I'll be fine. Really. Why don't you go for a swim? When I return, I'll join you."

"Then more of this?"

"You know, you're lucky that we're both in our sexual primes, otherwise I wouldn't know what to do with you."

I kissed her hand. "My desire for you is not fueled by sex, but by the complete and honest love I know you hold for me."

"Oh, Thomas." She looked at the clock. "Maybe we have time for one more before I go."

I smiled as my lips once again met hers.

Allison met me at the pool upon her return. "How did it go?" I asked.

"Vitamins and exercise, just like I said," she responded. She stripped down naked, and I marveled at her total beauty as I watched her cross poolside and ease herself in at the shallow end. I swam to her, kissed her, then just stared at her. "What?"

"I can't stand the thought of living my life without you. Promise me that if this pregnancy ever jeopardizes your health in any way, then you will do what is necessary to protect yourself."

"Every time you express how much you love me, you make me want to cry. I never dreamed a man could hold that much love for me in his heart. I love you, Thomas. I truly, truly do, and I promise you that if this pregnancy becomes too much, then I will take what measures are necessary." She pulled me close and kissed me. "Now, didn't you mention something about making love to me once I got back?" I did, so I did.

We were well into the second trimester, and there were no signs that the pregnancy was a danger to Allison or the baby. Furthermore, our little girl showed no signs of any birth defects whatsoever. "She truly is a miracle," Dr. Liu stated, as she always had.

"Then that will be her name," Allison announced. She looked at me. "You can pick the middle name."

Without any thought given to it whatsoever, I suggested, "How about Marlena Miracle Bedford?" Marlena was Allison's middle name.

"It's beautiful, just like you," she said as she pulled me to her and kissed me.

"Oh, look at you two," Dr. Liu said with a smile. "You guys warm my heart."

We smiled at her, thanked her, and were on our way.

Toward the end of the second trimester, I received a call from Tara. It was the first call from her in almost two months. She was telling me about this and that—truth be told, I was barely listening to her, just placing an "uh-huh" here and there whenever she paused. She finally asked, "Do we need to talk?"

"Probably so," I answered.

"So, talk," she demanded.

"Maybe later," I told her.

"Maybe later?" she asked. "Maybe later? What do you mean—?"

I hung up on her. It wasn't meant to be cruel, I just had a lot on my mind, like the fact that Allison had a baby bump, but she looked like she was losing weight instead of gaining any. I finally questioned her about this, and she assured me that she had remained her usual 115 pounds while carrying me until her eighth month, and then she exploded to 140. It was enough to ease my mind for the moment, but my concern was still at the forefront of every thought I had of her.

At the behest of Dr. Liu, Allison and I cut back on sex. Admittedly, we were making love around fifteen or twenty times a week. "What? You can't be serious," she stated.

"Oh, sometimes close to thirty," Allison said with a bragging smile.

"Not anymore," she told us. "Two or three times a week. Period." She looked us over, then added, "That's not to say the two of you can't implement other means by which to gain satisfaction." We just looked at her. "You know, orally?"

"Ah," Allison and I said in unison.

"Just nothing rough. Understood?"

"Understood," Allison said.

"I want to address her weight loss," was my only response.

"It may be a point of concern, but it happens." She looked at Allison. "Are you taking your meds?"

"Yes, ma'am," Allison answered.

"I'll run some more tests just to be sure," Dr. Liu said, "for you and the baby, both."

As we neared the end of the first month of the third trimester, Allison still hadn't gained any weight. She still maintained that she would soon begin gaining, but as for now she looked so very exaggeratedly pregnant. I was worried for her and the baby equally.

One day, while Allison was out shopping, there came a rapping at the door. I opened it to find, "Tara?!?"

"Thomas," she said in way of greeting. "May I come in?"

"Uh, yeah. Sure. Please. By all means." I led her to the living room where we sat on the sofa. "So, when did you get back?"

"About a week ago."

"How did you enjoy studying abroad?"

"The classes were great, I deeply enjoyed the culture, and the field trips we took educated me even more than I could have ever imagined. So now that that is out of the way, let's get to the real reason I'm here."

"Um, okay."

"Do you know it took me this long to track you down?" She asked. "No one back home knew where you had gotten off to. None of your friends ... Hell, what friends? They said you stopped associating with them around the time I left. You sold your house, moved here ... And what was that last phone conversation all about? I'll admit that I was so wrapped up in my own thing that I sometimes didn't remember to call you, but the finality I heard in your voice during that last conversation? What was that, Thomas? You said we needed to talk. Well, I'm here, so talk."

I was really trying to find a good starting point so that I could explain ... maybe not everything, but enough to let her know it was over. As I sat there searching for the words, Allison walked in. "Hey, baby. Groceries are in the car. How about going—Oh! Tara. You're back."

Tara looked from my very pregnant mother to me, and a barely audible, "Oh, my God," passed her lips. She stood and made a beeline for the door, saying, "I'm so very sorry," to Allison as she passed her.

The door closed, and Allison and I stared at one another for countless seconds. "I love you," I near shouted at her.

"Wh-What?"

I stood and made my way to her. I gently placed my hands on her shoulders and said, "I love you, Allison. I love you."

She smiled sweetly at me, placed her palm on my cheek, and drew my lips to hers. "Get those groceries in. I'll be waiting for you in the bedroom."

Two weeks out from Allison's due date and I still had heard nothing more from Tara. I wanted to call her—why, I didn't know—but in the end, I was satisfied that things turned out as they should have. I didn't think she would go back and tell anyone what she had discovered, and if she had, so what?

Eight days out, and Allison went into labor. I rushed her to the hospital, and per our prior discussion with Dr. Liu, I was allowed in the delivery room to witness the birth of our child. Allison delivered two hours later, and as I held her hand and told her how proud of her I was, she went into a seizure. I stepped back, scared as hell, shouting, wanting to know what the hell was going on. Dr. Liu had me escorted from the delivery room.

She approached me in the waiting room and sat next to me.

"How is she?" I asked, scared yet hopeful.

"I have a lot to say to you, so allow me to do so without interruption." I nodded. "What you witnessed was Allison having a seizure. Once the seizure passed, she was coherent enough that she told me about your ... Shall we say, 'special circumstance?'" I lightly shrugged my shoulders, asking for more information. "She confessed that she is your mother, and you are the father of this child. Is this true?"

"Yes."

She sat back and sighed deeply. "Physically, the child is in good health. We will monitor her to ensure there are no mental defects. As it stands, your mother is currently in a coma."

"A coma!?"

"She hid something from you the whole time she was pregnant, Thomas. She had been diagnosed with a brain tumor, but she rejected treatment because she wanted to carry this child to term and deliver her; treatment would surely have resulted in a miscarriage."

"Is that why she was losing weight?"

"Yes. She promised that she would seek treatment once she had delivered, but the strain of childbirth, plus the location of the tumor, brought on the seizure, and not long after, she had an aneurysm, which sent her into the coma."

"What's going to happen to her, Dr. Liu?"

"My grandmother used to say, 'Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.' I know that is of no comfort to you, Thomas, but the reality of the situation is that it doesn't look too good."

"So, she's going to die." I said it more than asking.

"I'm not going to sugarcoat this, Thomas. Her chance of pulling through this is about two percent, if that."

"When can I go to her?"

"She's in the recovery room. Let us move her to ICU, then I'll come and get you."

"Thank you, Dr. Liu."

"Before I go, may I enquire as to how the relationship manifested itself?"

"It just did, and I don't regret a damned bit of it."

"I suppose Allison doesn't either." She smiled. "I'll be back shortly."

I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited some more, and waited further still. I thought back to Elijah, and how he told me that no power on earth could keep the wish of a moonbow from coming true. Fucking liar was my first thought, but then I had to remember exactly what my wish was. I had wished that I would never disappoint Allison, and that she would know I loved her till the day she died. I silently apologized to Elijah, then thanked the moonbow for keeping that promise.

Finally, after two hours had passed, I went to the nurse's station and said, "I'm supposed to be seeing Allison Bedford. What's the hold-up?"

"Oh. Yes. One moment, please." The nurse got on her telephone and spoke so quietly that I couldn't make out a thing she said, then hung up and said to me, "Dr. Liu is on her way out. She'll be with you momentarily."

I returned to my seat, and two minutes Dr. Liu approached. She didn't have to say a word. I knew by the look in her eyes that my love was dead. I burst into tears and fought against her as she pulled me close to her, and finally I submitted my will to hers and embraced her as a tsunami of emotion poured from my eyes and lungs.

"Come with me," she said quietly. "You can spend all the time you need with her." I followed her, and once alone, I buried my face in the blanket at Allison's tummy. I cried for more hours than I can recall. Dr. Liu entered just long enough to tell me that early post-natal testing showed negative defects at this point, but that she would continue to monitor the baby. I somehow managed the strength to thank her, then she exited the room.

I had no idea what I was going to do. Out of desperation, I called Tara. When she answered, I couldn't even speak. I burst into tears again, and it took me five minutes just to get the words, "I need you," out of me. She asked where I was, and I told her.

"It's going to take me about three hours to get there, but I'm on my way."

When Tara arrived, I was sitting in the room by myself as Dr. Liu finally had to have Allison's body moved to the morgue. The sun hung low, casting a purplish-orange tint across the sky. I began to cry once again when I saw her, and I threw myself into her arms. She held me, rocked me, and allowed me to purge.

I finally got enough control of myself to tell Tara what happened. I explained everything to her, and she just listened. Afterward, we sat in silence. Fifteen minutes? Thirty? It's hard to say. She finally took my hand into hers, brought it to her lips, and kissed it. "Don't worry, Thomas. It's going to be okay. I promise you, we will face this together." She kissed my hand again, then lowered it to her lap, just holding onto it, granting me the life support I so desperately needed at the moment.

I looked out the window. I didn't know what the future held, but whatever it was, I knew it was somewhere, out there, beyond the setting sun.

FINI

kurrginatorX
kurrginatorX
1,040 Followers
12