Big Brother

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Caught the little thief playing with our stuff," Andy said.

"Did anyone say you could touch our stuff?" Chris said. Before she could answer he pushed Becca hard and she fell to the ground. Becca put her hands behind her to break her fall, she still ended up on her bottom and the rough pavement stung both her hands and bottom. It hurt and she began to cry.

"What? The little baby is gonna cry now?" Chris asked in a condescending voice. Becca looked at her hands and saw she had cuts on them and they were bleeding a little. She cried even harder.

"Bet she is gonna run tell her mommy," Andy said.

"Her mommy ain't home, she has to work cause she ain't got no daddy," Chris said. "Their whole family is white trash, wish we could make them leave."

"I'll give you something to really cry about white trash," Chris said and then he kicked her in the leg. Becca screamed. She hated boys! All of them! They were all mean and nasty. The Wicker brothers loved to hurt her, the boys at school never wanted to play with her, even her Uncle Eddie called her names all the time. Becca had never met her daddy because he left before she was even born; how terrible was that if a daddy didn't even want his own kid? Then there was Jay, he wasn't mean but he was a freak! She hated all boys! She wished all the boys in the world would just disappear! She let out an anguished sob. She didn't know what hurt more; the pain from the fall and kick or the pain that was inside her.

All of a sudden a blur rushed by her and Chris Wicker was on the ground with Jay on top of him. Jay started pummeling Chris. "Don't you ever, ever touch her again!" Jay shouted as he beat the snot out of the older wicker brother.

"Hey! Lay off my brother! Andy shouted and grabbed Jay's shoulder. Jay spun around and punched Andy straight in the stomach. Andy doubled over.

Jay resumed beating on Chris. "Stop, please stop! STOP!!!" Chris begged as he put his hands up trying to deflect Jay's blows. "Pleasssssssssse!" Chris whined.

Jay finally relented. "If you ever touch her, if you ever speak to her, if you ever come near her again I'll hurt you so bad they'll need an ambulance to come for you," Jay said. "That goes for both of you, understand?"

"Yes!" Chris said.

Jay looked at Andy who was still bent forward with his hands over his stomach. "Yes!" Andy said.

Jay got off of Chris and let him get up. Both Andy and Chris had tears in their eyes and Chris had blood and mucus running down his nose to his chin and making a mess on his shirt. The two Wicker brothers slowly walked home.

Becca had stopped crying the instant Jay had arrived and started hitting Chris. She was in too much awe to think about her own hurts. She couldn't believe what he had done, especially to Chris since he was a year older than Jay and a lot bigger. But what she was having the hardest time believing was that it was Jay who had come to her rescue.

Jay turned around and looked at Becca; he focused on her scraped hands. He had a strange look in his eyes, not his normal strange look, this one was somehow different. In a matter of moments his eyes began to water, Becca had never seen Jay cry before and all of a sudden tears were gushing from his eyes.

Jay collapsed to his knees. "Why?!!" He sobbed. "WHY?!!" He put his face in his hands and was crying uncontrollably.

Becca didn't understand why Jay was crying, he hadn't taken any hits in the fight, but she instinctively went over, knelt in front of him, and put her arms around him. When Jay latched onto her in a tight hug it surprised the hell out of her, but again on instinct she started comforting him. "Shh, shh, it's okay now," she said.

Jay rested his head on her shoulder holding onto her like she was the only thing keeping him from flying away like a kite with a snapped string. "Why?" He said again. "Why did they have to die?" Becca was thoroughly confused. Chris and Andy didn't die!

"Why did my mommy and daddy have to die?!!" Jay lamented. Now Becca understood what this was about. "I want my mommy and daddy! Why did they have to die?!!" Jay said as his tears soaked Becca's shirt.

"I don't know" Becca whispered, she didn't know what else to say. Jay's breakdown made Becca really consider his situation for the first time. His mommy and daddy were gone; he would never see them again. Becca never knew her daddy but she thought about how she would feel if her mommy died. The thought brought tears to her eyes and she cried for Jay. She learned what it was to feel sympathy for someone else. Becca held onto Jay as tight as he was holding onto her. It seemed to Becca that her and Jay spent hours there on the ground, crying, holding, and comforting each other.

* * *

When Jay and Becca went inside the house they had to explain to their grandmother what happened. Kimberly wasn't home; she worked in the deli section of a local grocery store, she usually left for work when the kids left for school and was home by seven in the evening. Their grandmother told them both to go wash up and told Becca to poor some alcohol over the cuts on her hands.

After washing up, Becca had Jay pour the alcohol over her hands. When the clear but antiseptically pungent smelling liquid made contact with her cuts Becca screamed at the stinging sensation. Jay hugged Becca and assured her the pain would go away very fast, and it did. Becca was caught off guard by Jay's hug and that distracted her from the bite of the alcohol. Ever since his breakdown after the fight Jay seemed a different person. Gone was the vacant look in his eyes, he looked more alive than she had ever seen him to be.

After they finished in the bathroom, they heard a pounding on the front door. Their grandmother answered the door, Becca and Jay peaked around the corner to see who it was. It was Mrs. Wicker and she looked very angry!

"I want to speak to whoever is in charge of that maniac boy living here," Mrs. Wicker said.

"That would be my daughter, Kimberly, but she's at work right now," their grandmother said.

"Well, as soon as she gets home tell her to call me, that lunatic boy attacked both my kids and seriously hurt them!" Mrs. Wicker said. "I have half a mind to press charges!"

"I will make sure Kimberly contacts you as soon as she gets home!" their grandmother said.

"You better!" Mrs. Wicker said and then walked off in a huff.

"Becca, Jay, come here now," their grandmother said. The two cousins went to their grandmother. "I am very disappointed in both of you," she said.

"But Grandma, we told you what happened," Becca protested.

"From what Mrs. Wicker said Jay hurt those boys very bad. I don't need this, you know. You know how bad my arthritis is and my heart isn't that strong either. This is how you treat your poor grandmother, by making me have to deal with people like that woman? I want you both to go to your room and think about what you did. You are not allowed out until your mother comes home," their grandmother ordered.

"Yes Grandma," Becca said. Jay didn't even say anything; he just went to their room.

As soon as they got to the room Becca flopped on her bed, laid her head in her arms, and started crying. Jay came over and sat on the bed and put his hand on her back. "Come on Becca, it will be all right."

"It's just not fair!" Becca bemoaned. "We didn't do nothing wrong. You were protecting me!"

"We'll explain that to Aunt Kim and she'll set Mrs. Wicker straight," Jay said.

"She won't believe us, they never do, we'll be punished," Becca said.

"Whatever happens, we are in this together, even if we are punished, who cares? As long as you know and I know we didn't do anything wrong," Jay said.

Becca lifted her head up and looked at her cousin. "Why did you do it? Come and save me?" she asked.

"Becca, I couldn't stand by and watch those jerks hurt you. I had to do something," Jay said.

"You're different now," Becca stated.

"I know. Today was the first day I really felt anything since...since my mommy and daddy died. When I saw you getting bullied I felt angry and afraid for you. I didn't want anything to happen to you. After the fight it was like all these feelings came shooting back into me and I...I just couldn't handle it. That's why I started crying. I'm just glad you were there," Jay said.

"Why me?" Becca asked.

"Because out of everyone here, you are the one that's treated me best," Jay answered. "If anyone had to see me break down and cry, I'm glad it was you because you have always been nice to me."

"I haven't been that nice," Becca said.

"And I haven't either," Jay replied. "You've had to put up with me and you've been nicer than most people would have been. You tried to be my friend but when you saw I just wanted to be left alone, that's what you did. I'm sorry about how I've been to you."

"That's okay," Becca said.

"I really would like to be your friend," Jay said.

Becca smiled, "Me too."

* * *

When Kimberly came home from work she was assaulted by a mother, a daughter, and a nephew all trying to talk at once. What was most surprising was Jay. He was just as animated as her mother and Becca. She had never seen him this lively and responsive.

After she got everyone to cool down she asked Becca to tell her what happened slowly. Becca related the whole story and when Kimberly saw the cuts on her daughter's hands and the bruise on her leg, she was ready to strangle those Wicker boys herself. She was also furious with her mother for punishing the children for only sticking up for themselves. Kimberly remembered how her mother treated her the same way as a child. Whenever Kimberly got involved in a confrontation it was always her fault, if not for causing the incident, then causing there to be commotion about it.

Kimberly picked up the telephone and got the Wicker's number through information. Then she called the number and a woman answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Yes is this Mrs. Wicker?" Kimberly asked.

"Yes it is," the voice replied.

"Well this is Kimberly Fresco and I understand our children got into a scrape today."

"A scrape?!!" Mrs. Wicker said indignantly. "My son Christopher has a broken nose and two black eyes! My other son's stomach hurts so bad he doesn't want to eat anything. I have half a mind to call the police and press charges!"

"Well I'm sorry your children got hurt but they assaulted my little girl and my nephew saw this and went to protect her," Kimberly explained.

"That's not what my boys say," Mrs. Wicker said.

"Well I can have pictures taken of the huge bruise on my daughter's leg and the cuts on her hands. If you want to press charges, who do you think the police will believe? That a little waif of a girl started a fight with two boys or she was being picked on and her cousin came to the rescue?" Kimberly put forward.

"How do you know that psychotic nephew of yours isn't the one who hurt your daughter?" Mrs. Wicker asked.

"I admit, it will be my word against yours, but whose children have had a reputation for bullying other kids and whose children have never been in so much as a skirmish with anyone?" Kimberly retorted. Mrs. Wicker was silent on the other end. "I suggest we drop this whole thing, you tend to your children and I'll tend to mine and we'll make sure our kids know not to associate with one another from now on."

Mrs. Wicker remained silent for another moment then said, "Well, I suppose getting the authorities involved this time would be too much. I'll tell my kids to keep away from yours if you do the same."

"I will do that," Kimberly said.

"Fine, goodbye then," and there was a click on the phone as the call was disconnected.

Kimberly looked at Becca and Jay. "Everything is fine now. You don't have to worry about a thing."

"Yay Mommy!" Becca said.

"Thank you Aunt Kim," Jay said.

"I want to thank you Jay for looking out for Becca today," Kimberly said.

"You're welcome," Jay said as he smiled at Becca. The boy was actually smiling. That was something.

"I suppose I better get dinner started," Kimberly said and she headed into the kitchen.

* * *

Dinnertime was another shock. Kimberly and her mother stared at Jay mouths agape as he not only finished his dinner but asked for a second helping of macaroni and cheese. However, he didn't ask for a second helping of the mixed vegetables that Becca's mother had made to go along with the meal, but he finished all of his first helping.

Becca just smiled inwardly to herself because she knew that she had something to do with the reason Jay was acting...well...normal. She mostly felt warm inside thinking about that special moment they shared crying together out in the street, it was a private moment that they would keep only between the two of them, something that would connect them together for the rest of their lives.

* * *

Jay had just finished his shower and was in his pajamas sitting on his cot watching the same ritual he had seen almost every night since he had been there. Becca was sitting on her bed with her mother, Kimberly had a brush in her hand and Becca was squirming and would occasionally scream as Kimberly ran the brush through Becca's hair. "Honestly Becca, I don't know how you can get so many knots in your hair in just one day!" Kimberly said. It was something Jay heard her say often. "You've got to stop playing with your hair and chewing it," another staple of their pre lights-out conversations.

Kimberly had a piece of gum in her mouth like she always did and Jay idly wondered if she had ever dropped any into Becca's hair. Since Becca didn't have any patches cut out of her long hair Jay assumed they had been lucky so far, unless it happened a long time ago. Kimberly ran the brush roughly through Becca's hair once again and Becca screamed. "Becca, will you stop that, it's not that bad!"

"But it hurts!" Becca said crying.

Jay was struck by a sudden urge to help. "Do you mind if I try to get the knots out?" He asked.

Becca looked over at Jay and then to her mother and said, "Oh yes, Mommy, can he try it? Please?"

Kimberly looked at Jay with an amused grin. Jay felt a momentary shock go through him but he instantly recovered. Kimberly was silent for a moment then said, "Be my guest," and she indicated Jay could come over and relieve her of the brush.

Jay went and took Kimberly's place sitting behind Becca on her bed. Kimberly stood in the doorway with her arms folded, watching the two of them. Jay held the brush up to Becca's hair which was still damp from her bath and had a fruity clean smell from the shampoo. Her hair was also full of knots. Jay sighed and said, "Tell me if I hurt you."

"Okay," Becca said.

Jay placed the brush at the top of Becca's head then gently started to move it down. He immediately encountered a knot. Jay tried forcing the brush through, but without using much strength so as not to hurt her, that didn't work. Next Jay tried spreading the hair out where the knot was to see where the worst of the tangle was. He saw it and took the brush through it. The knot gave way. "Did that hurt?" Jay asked.

"Uh-uh," Becca said.

Jay continued brushing Becca's hair and used the same method each time he encountered a knot. It took him about ten minutes but he was finally able to smoothly run the brush through her blonde hair at any point. "That's it, no more knots," Jay proudly proclaimed. Becca gasped and turned around with a huge smile on her face. She hugged Jay tightly, which made him feel nice and warm inside.

"Well, I think you've got a new hairstylist," Kimberly said with a smile.

Becca smiled and said, "Yup."

"Thank God!" Kimberly said. "One less hassle I have to go through! Okay you guys, time for lights out! Jay, get back into your bed." Jay scooted off Becca's bed and hopped into his cot.

"Goodnight you two," Kimberly said.

"Goodnight," Becca and Jay chorused. Kimberly turned out the lamp leaving the room in the dim pink glow of the night light.

Jay was laying on his cot going over the day's events in his mind and was almost asleep when he felt a presence close to him. He opened his eyes and saw Becca standing in front of him.

"Jay?" Becca said.

"Yeah?" Jay responded.

"I'm scared," she said.

"Why?"

"Cause...my leg and hands still hurt and it makes me keep thinking about the Wickers."

"There's nothing to be scared about Becca, they won't bother you anymore," Jay said with confidence.

"But what if they do?" she asked.

"Then I'll be there," Jay said.

"Okay," she said quietly. Jay closed his eyes again but he still felt Becca beside the cot. "Jay?"

Jay opened his eyes and looked at her, "Yeah?"

"Can I sleep with you tonight?" She asked.

Jay thought about it for a moment. "You don't wet the bed do you?" He asked.

"No!" Becca said indignantly.

"All right then," Jay said and he pulled back the covers. Becca smiled broadly and climbed into the cot. She snuggled her back up against Jay's front and he put his arm around her.

"Goodnight," Becca said.

"Goodnight," Jay said.

Now Jay couldn't sleep. He kept thinking about his new family. For the last month Jay had been in limbo, nothing had felt real. Now Jay knew that this was his home from now on and he better get used to it. This home was a lot different than his other one. He remembered the amount of affection his parents always showed him; there was none of that here. His grandmother seemed mostly interested in complaining about her problems, and when she wasn't doing that she was putting people down.

Aunt Kim was in a bad mood most of the time, but even when she wasn't it wasn't easy to get close to her. Like tonight, after the phone call to Mrs. Wicker they were all happy at how Aunt Kim had handled things. Becca looked ready to hug her mother but she held back, Jay thought for sure he was going to get a hug when she thanked him for helping Becca, but he didn't. When Aunt Kim smiled at him tonight when he asked to brush Becca's hair she looked so much like his mother that it stunned Jay for a moment. He hadn't noticed the resemblance. Jay wanted to be held so bad at that moment but he knew Aunt Kim wouldn't do it.

Jay was convinced his aunt was an all right person, especially after tonight, but there was a hardness about her and she had trouble showing affection. His grandmother was just hard. Jay knew that if he was going to survive in this new life without going insane he had to have at least one person he could be close to, one person he could show his affection for and receive affection from. He knew there was only one person that could be.

"Becca?" Jay said wondering if she was still awake.

"Hmmm?" She responded drowsily.

"Remember the first day I was here? When you asked if I was going to be your new brother?"

"Yes," Becca said sounding more awake.

"Would you want to have me as a brother?" Jay asked.

Becca was silent for a few moments, finally she said, "Yes."

"And you would want to be my sister?" Jay asked.

"Yes," she said with no hesitation this time.

"Okay, then we are brother and sister from now on! No matter what anyone else says. I'll always be there for you and look out for you like a brother should," Jay said.

"Okay," Becca said very quietly, it almost sounded like she was crying.

One other thing occurred to Jay. Since he had been living in his aunt's home he hadn't heard a particular phrase that healways heard at his home. Nobody said those words to each other here. Jay hadn't said them because he would only say them if he meant them. Until tonight he hadn't felt he had anyone to say those words to.

"Becca?" Jay said.

"Yes?" she said.

"I love you."

Jay felt Becca's body shiver and then she softly said, "I love you too." Jay felt a warmth rush through him he hadn't felt in over a month. He gave his new sister a squeeze and they both drifted off to sleep.