Binding Ashes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wetapap
wetapap
373 Followers

The one thing that puzzled everyone, including Richard for all those thirty plus years was Amber's refusal to let go of Richard's cane. She kept a firm grip on it from that first night and was never seen without it again.

Over the years, Miss Amber and the beautiful cane became a given, it was understood by everyone. No one ever asked why she kept it clutched to her heart or why her thumb was always stroking the wolf head.

The only time it left her bosom was when Richard and she made love, but she held it at her side even then. Richard had thought she was joking that first night, she wasn't, it went to bed with them not only that night, but every night thereafter.

It didn't bother Richard; he seemed to understand that it somehow represented him in her heart. Apparently after bridging some emotional gap that night, it had become the equivalent of a security blanket.

He finally realized he would never understand the pain Amber had felt during his two year absence. Even though he had suffered too, it evidently was nowhere near the emotional pain she had experienced.

That was the one guilt he carried to his grave, but did his best to make it up to her through the years. Richard was sure Amber had been as happy as anyone could possibly be, and so was he.

They had continued to dine at the restaurant. Richard got tickled the first time they went there for dinner after he returned home. Joseph made the mistake of taking hold of Miss Amber's cane, offering to put it up until they were ready to leave. He never made that mistake again and he cautioned the waiters to pay it a 'never-mind.'

Joseph was very understanding. He had become as fond of Miss Amber as he was of Richard, warming to her charm that very first night when he realized Richard was seeing Amber through special eyes. Richard had proven right, she was special.

A few years after Richard and Amber were married, the owner died and his widow sold the restaurant to Joseph. He hired an excellent maitre d' but Amber and Richard noticed Joseph always would appear and personally seat them.

**********

Thirty-five years later found Amber standing in front of Richard's memorial. She had designed and built it on her favorite site at Wetap. They had spent hours sitting on that very spot, even making love there on many a warm starlit night.

It was also located so Amber could look from the bay window in their bedroom and check on him anytime of the day. Thanks to special lighting, it was most beautiful at night.

Richard's ashes were sealed in the memorial. Amber wasn't worried; after her death, her sons would follow through with her and Richard's last wishes. The seal would be broken and their ashes mixed together before being resealed in the memorial for all eternity.

After Richard's death, the family continued to be very close, especially on the major holidays. All the kids would come. Some, days in advance, others just for the day, but they would all be there.

Every memorial day, the boys walked with their mother to Richard's memorial. She would place her hands on the memorial, still holding the cane and spend a period of time with her head bowed reminiscing about the time she and Richard had together.

Afterwards, she would lay one hand on the memorial as the boys stood in front of her one at a time while she touched her fingers and the cane to their face. They all looked so much like their father; between their personalities, he was there in full with her once again for a few moments each year.

The boys never complained, they loved and understood her. Each with a different smile inherited from their father, called her "Miss Amber."

Thanksgiving was the holiday the girls loved, not just her daughters, but her granddaughters also. They demanded and it became a tradition. It was the one day each year Miss Amber sat down and retold the entire story about a very hungry young girl who spun into the life of her prince charming.

Maria and her family joined them on the holidays. They were family now, and not just figuratively. The families had two marriages between their offspring. Maria's son had married Richard and Amber's second daughter; no one seemed at all fazed by the eleven year gap in their ages. Richard and Amber's second son married one of Maria's daughters, Maria was truly family.

Every Thanksgiving, Maria was the first to take a seat for the story telling. She always sat far enough back so the younger ones could get in close and no one could see her amusement over the missing parts Amber purposefully left out of the story.

Maria would chuckle when Amber grinned at her while telling about Richard finding her with Raoul. She didn't feel Amber's omission of being naked and in bed with Raoul at the time, detracted from the story.

Invariably one of the curious listeners would ask, "Whatever happened to Raoul?" Amber would hedge on her answer, "After a few days, he just moved on, we never saw him again." It was always difficult for Maria to stifle her laughter.

Everyone did notice Amber seemed to stroke the wolf head in a more loving way each Thanksgiving while she told their story.

***************

Miss Amber's sons stood in a semi circle around her casket. The time for all had finally arrived for Miss Amber.

They were paying their last respects before her casket was rolled into the crematory. The matriarch had been quite a lady, a very special lady. Shortly she was to get her final wish, joining her beloved husband for all eternity.

Her family had been able to tell in her last few years she was growing anxious for this moment. The kids were grown and Maria, her closest friend had passed on.

She loved Wetap, but without Richard, it had just never been the same. It lacked the wonder he had personally provided.

Her last minute request was also being honored. She had been in a panic when she begged them. They assured her it was no problem and would be done. She had taken her last breath with peace of mind; she knew, like their father, they were all honorable young men and would keep their word.

As the casket was rolled away, her sons were sharing the same thought,'I know the wood will burn, but I hope the wolf head doesn't melt. It would be so nice centered in the middle of their ashes where mom can continue to hold it, binding dad to her forever.'

********** **********

Please take time to vote. A huge amount of time is devoted to writing a story, good, bad, or indifferent. Your direct feedback, especially direct comments helps writers to become better and more focused, which in turn gives you the reader a better product. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

wetapap
wetapap
373 Followers