BirthRight Ch. 01-03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SydneyA
SydneyA
41 Followers

A few moments later, Renee and the nurse strode into the room.

The nurse stuck a needle into his IV and checked a few things. Jasmine noticed the nurse bend down and talk in a low voice with Tyrone. When they finished, the nurse turned, smiled at her and Renee, and left the room.

Jasmine itched to ask what the nurse said, but remembered her earlier remarks. "Is everything okay?" She stepped close to the bed and looked him over with a critical eye.

"Yeah, she wanted to know how bad the pain was." His eyelids drooped.

She gave into the urge to touch him, to reassure herself he was okay. The back of her hand stroked the side of his face. He sighed as he fell under the dominion of the medication.

"He's asleep?" Renee asked, coming to stand next to her.

Jasmine nodded, leaned down and placed a kiss on his forehead. "Hungry?" she asked her sister.

"Yeah. You?"

Jasmine nodded as she backed away from the bed. "I am. Is there some place here where we can eat?"

"I think I overheard someone mention a cafeteria. I'll ask the nurse, and we can grab a bite before he wakes. Have you talked to the doctor about Tyrone's next step? It's good to see him healing, but what happens next?"

Jasmine hadn't asked that many questions because the doctor had been so forthcoming about Tyrone's condition. Before she could answer, Renee had walked off and was speaking to the nurse behind the counter.

"Thanks," Renee said to the nurse as she waved for Jasmine to meet her.

"There's a place here?" Jasmine asked as she caught up with her sister.

Renee nodded. "Yeah, a couple of floors down. Stairs or elevator?"

Jasmine looked toward the stairs, but didn't feel up to it. "Elevator." Following the signs, they took the elevator and walked into the cafeteria. Scents teased her nostrils, her stomach growled. "I didn't realize how hungry I was before," Jasmine said, heading toward the line for the grill. There were steaks, burgers, and prime rib on the menu. Her brows rose at the choices. No chicken or fish?

Renee picked up a pre-made salad and waited for her.

"I'd like a steak, medium rare. There needs to be a little pink in the middle. But I don't want a big steak."

The chef never spoke, he held up a raw piece of meat.

"Do you have anything smaller?"

He cut the steak in half and held it high.

Smiling, she nodded. "That's perfect, thank you." Jasmine stepped to the side and grabbed a small salad and garlic toast while waiting for her steak.

"What do you want to drink?" her sister asked.

"Water. A bottle, so I can take it back to the room."

"Good idea." Renee grabbed two bottles and picked up a large brownie.

"A salad and a brownie? How does that work out for you?" Jasmine teased as she accepted the plate with her steak from the chef. She slipped a tip in his jar and headed for the cashier. When they'd walked in the cafeteria earlier, it had seemed empty, but during the time they'd taken to grab their food, most of the tables had filled.

"Wanna sit outside in the sun?" Renee asked.

A table near the exit opened and Jasmine headed for it. The idea of swatting flies while trying to cut her steak held no appeal. "No, here's one." They each took a seat and looked out the large window. It was a beautiful day, maybe after they ate, she'd take a quick walk to stretch her legs.

"Jazz?"

"Hmmm?" She swallowed the garlic bread and took a deep breath.

"Have you noticed there's a football convention going on here?"

"What?" She looked up at Renee.

"I mean, have you noticed how frigging big all the men are in this place? Even the women are tall. Plus there aren't any black people working here. We're in Maryland, how the hell can there not be any blacks working in a hospital."

Jasmine hadn't noticed the shape, size, or color of anyone. Her sole focus had been on Tyrone. She didn't care if the people were zebras. Tyrone was better, and that's all that mattered to her. But Renee was different. She was an anthropology professor back in St. Louis. Noticing people were her stock in trade.

"No. I hadn't noticed. I'm just glad Rone is getting better. Have you heard from Rese?"

Her sister cut her eyes at her. "No, I would've told you. And I'm glad they're taking good care of Rone, too. I owe them more than I can say. It's just weird being in a place so... so sterile. There's no diversity. Everyone's the same. Big men, tall women. All pale." Renee shivered. "It's just strange."

Jasmine looked out the window. Her eyes locked with a pair of turbulent bluish-green eyes. A chill snaked down her spine chased by a flash of heat. Her heartbeat stuttered and then picked up in speed. Warmth radiated through her and settled in her belly. A tingling started between her thighs. The alien feelings surprised her.

"See, they're big." Her sister tugged at her attention.

With reluctance, Jasmine pulled away from the fascinating eyes. "Huh?" A curl of warmth fluttered lower, tempting, and teasing.

"That guy you were looking at, did you see how big he was?"

She hadn't noticed anything but his eyes. "No, not really."

Renee sat back in her chair and stared at her. "That conversation we had back at the house a few days ago, you thinking about it?"

Jasmine fought through the fog clouding her mind. "No. Give me a minute to remember."

Renee chuckled. "Okay. What time do you want to head back to the room?"

"I'm not sure, Rone was in pain and the medicine helps him sleep." She finished eating and slid back from the table. "You want to take the scenic route back upstairs?"

Renee nodded as she joined Jasmine at the waste bin to dump their trash. Renee linked her arm in Jasmine's and headed toward the glass door leading to the gardens.

For the first time, Jasmine took note of the people in the room. The men were huge. It could've been a linebacker convention. She was glad when they walked out into the sun, but the clarity of those turquoise eyes haunted her.

Chapter 3

Silas watched the humans in the building walk arm in arm through the gardens. With half an ear he listened to another Alpha discuss plans for his pack. The Alpha was building a school on their land and was trying to find a way to keep it limited to just pack.

"Make it private," one Alpha suggested.

"We did that and still had outsiders apply for enrollment," another Alpha said. "We found ourselves in a discrimination lawsuit and settled out of court. The laws are changing and it's harder and harder to be exclusive."

"But we have to allow a little interaction among humans. The problem is once that happens, friendships develop and all kinds of other things."

The Alphas mumbled their agreement.

Silas understood their dilemma. As their Patron, or lead Alpha, he required each of them to stay current with the times. Pups were to be provided the best education, which spawned superior companies. Each pack had to invest in real estate, and own their land. The members of the pack were to be trained in either a trade or continue to college. Bottom line - all had to use their skills for the advancement of the pack.

Unfortunately, there was a downside. The packs under his leadership were vast, wealthy and powerful. Their schools had the best academic programs, which provided the top test scores in their respective states. Humans wanted their children to attend those schools, but they couldn't allow the interaction.

"Why not say the schools are for the descendants of... your original Alpha, that would stop the lawsuits," Silas said into the silence.

"Yeah, that should work," Alpha Lyle, one of the attorneys present, said. "If the schools are built for a den, and it specified that purpose, it might work. But you may not be able to take part in state competitions."

"How many schools do we have in this country?" Silas asked.

"Over three hundred that comes to mind," Lyle said.

"Then plan our own academic competitions. Start at the state level, then regional, and then national. This way the barometer of academic excellence has greater meaning. Let's face it, the public schools offer no competition and the private schools are not that much better. But to pit a shifter school against another for scientific or mathematical excellence, that is a real contest. And I would judge on the national level," Silas said, knowing his involvement would settle the matter.

"That would be great. We can have all those who win your scholarships attend as well. That way they can extend their thanks as a collective voice," another Alpha said.

Pleased, Silas nodded as they discussed the change in the educational trajectory of their packs. Their energy and excitement was a tangible thing. For the most part, Silas acted as moderator, giving input when ideas became stalled. Each Alpha was responsible for his pack, and Silas was responsible for the Alphas who wore his insignia and carried his last name. Once the room quieted, Silas waited for the men to bring up what he felt was an obvious, urgent issue. Instead, they began discussing dinner destinations and frivolous pursuits for later that evening. Withholding a sigh, he reminded himself that these men concerned themselves with their individual packs. He bore the weight of broader issues affecting all wolves and had to bring them to the table.

"I wonder why no one has mentioned the humans on the grounds of this hospital," Silas said, looking around the room. The shocked expressions on the faces of the men who were responsible for thousands of lives were comical. He'd bet they still didn't see or understand his concern.

"What have I missed, La Patron?" Jadyen, the Alpha for Maryland asked. The other Alphas sat forward with intense looks, prepared to remove any threat.

He looked at them and then spoke, sad that they still had not seen the challenge. "The mother of the shifter is human." He watched, waiting for them to get it. Some did, most did not. "The young wolf-shifter was not in our system and is an adult wolf who has changed on many occasions. In fact, he has a great relationship with his wolf. He has a twin, who is also a wolf. His mother is not, and she does not know her son is wolf."

The silence in the room was deafening. Frowns furrowed the brows of his Alphas. He could hear unspoken questions through their links.

"How is that possible?" One Alpha asked. "Wolves cannot mate with humans."

Silas nodded. "And yet a man lays in this facility. He is wolf. I have talked with him. His wolf acknowledges me. His father was a wolf, but not in a pack. It was his father who taught him and his brother how to change, and how to keep their wolf side hidden. The father was a military man and his sons followed in his steps. But the woman did give birth to them. This is not an adoption scenario; her blood runs in his veins."

No one spoke. Silas wondered how long before the importance of this discovery hit the Alphas.

"Well, damn," Jadyen said.

"That about sums it up," another Alpha said.

"Could there be more?"

"Don't they need a pack? How did they survive without a pack?"

"Do they breed true?"

"Have they turned anyone?"

"Can they turn someone?"

"If we kill them, will that solve the problem?"

Questions swirled around the room, which was good for healthy discussion, but they had no answers. And that's what they needed.

Silas held up his hand. "Tomorrow at ten, schedule a test for the young wolf. Lyle will ask these questions and we will know more. It's important that we separate him from his mother, she is over-protective and will take issue if we go to his room." He paused and met their gazes. "Indeed destroying the wolf, his twin, and his mother would solve a temporary problem, but how did it happen? I want answers, and so far, the young wolf and his family are the only ones who can give them. They die by my order alone."

The Alphas nodded.

Silas stood, and the Alphas stood, bowed and filed out of the room. He sensed their disquiet and hoped for all their sakes the young man's answers filled in most of the blanks. But there was one question he couldn't answer. How had his mother carried not one, but two, pups to full term. She was an enigma, and even now his assistants performed a thorough background check on Jasmine Bennett and her family.

"A word, Sir?"

Silas turned and nodded to Lyle.

"Are there specific questions you want me to ask the young wolf?"

Silas nodded. "I will give you with a list of questions in the morning."

Lyle nodded. "What is your opinion of him?"

Silas hesitated. His thoughts returned to the conversation he'd had with the young man earlier. His mother had sat in the chair listening with ear-buds to whatever was playing on her tablet. He was certain that was the only reason he'd been able to talk with the young wolf as long as he had.

"He has training, not pack training, so he might not be able to hunt with a pack. His father was in charge, but since his death, he and his brother have not chosen a pack. His father made sure they stayed on neutral territory and never had to declare an allegiance to anyone."

"Do you think he's open to having an Alpha?"

Silas shrugged. "I don't know. This one has Alpha potential, although he hasn't acted on it."

"That's good to know." Lyle bowed. "I will see you in the morning." He turned and left Silas alone with his thoughts. While he'd been with the young wolf, he'd tried to discover if there was something special about his mother. He hadn't been able to pick up anything. Was she a rare treasured gift from the Goddess, or was she the first of many who could destroy his people? Her sons should not have been able to survive without pack. He could tell from her actions that she and her sons were very close. Even while he'd held the young man under compulsion, the thought of his mother being in danger threatened to break their connection. It wasn't correct to say the young wolf had no pack. A better interpretation was he had no wolf-pack.

****

Silas sat behind the glass window in the training auditorium surrounded by at least thirty Alphas. Testosterone ran high in the small classroom, but it provided them the opportunity to watch Lyle ask the young wolf questions.

Once the young wolf understood he wasn't in the room for tests he'd sat up, hopped off the gurney, and sat in a chair. Silas silently applauded the young man's actions.

"My name is Tyrone Bennett, and I was born this way. My dad said it was because he and my mom had sex when he was just coming into his wolf. She got pregnant and had us." He shrugged as though it was no big deal.

"What's the name of your father's pack?"

"I don't know, he never said. He had gotten a bad deal or something. We never met his parents or spent time with them. He didn't have anything good to say about packs or his family."

"How did you keep this a secret from your mother? Or does she know you're a wolf?" Lyle asked.

The young man tensed. Silas could tell the question bothered him. "Dad made us swear never to tell anyone, including my mom. He said there were others out there who would hurt us or hurt her." His eyes narrowed. "No one hurts my mama." He paused. "Sometimes I think she suspects something is off a bit. Like during the full moon, my brother and I always left the house for camping trips or to hang with friends. Over time our excuses got real lame. She's smart, but she let it slide."

Silas nodded, taking a liking to the young man. He answered each question with open honesty. When Lyle finished, he asked the Alphas through their link if they were satisfied.

"I have a request," the young wolf said, startling everyone.

Lyle nodded.

"I want to see all the men who listened to our conversation, if you don't mind."

Silas spoke through their link. "That is fair." All the men exited to the small classroom. Silas was the last to enter. He met the young man's eyes and nodded.

"I understand this discussion was necessary. But I would like you to understand my mother and my aunt are here to make sure I'm okay. I have never told her about this part of my life. She's going to be pissed when I do." He shook his head and closed his eyes as though he dreaded that day. "But she loves me and I have to believe she'll forgive me. I don't want anything happening to her or my aunt. My mom's a special woman with a large heart. My dad told me she had to be kept away from others like us because they would try to take her. I can tell all of you," he stopped and shook his head. "Well not all, but most of you are mated, and that's not a problem, but some of the men working here have been giving her the eye and I can't protect her right now."

Silas frowned. The idea that this woman had to be protected from his males was a problem, and one that shouldn't be on the table. "Are you saying she attracts unmated wolves?"

"That's what my dad said. Claimed he'd gotten into way too many fights. Although I suspect it was because his mate was a man and he seldom touched my mom."

Silas felt the jolt of disbelief flow through the Alphas. He straightened. "Your father married your mother, had pups, and then turned her away to be with his mate?" How was that possible? Wolves bred with their mates; it had always been that way. This situation had serious repercussions.

The young man frowned in concentration. "I think mom and dad met in high school. My dad had just hit his change and was out of it for a while. I don't know about his relationship with his father, or why my dad was even around my mom at that time. They were just talking, nothing serious, but he lost control, they had sex and mom got pregnant. She was real young, sixteen. That's where things get blurry. My mom's parents were angry, but since both my mom and dad were underage, there wasn't a lot they could do. But my dad's parents disowned him or something drastic like that. He stayed in town, graduated early and as soon as he was old enough, he joined the military and married mom."

There wasn't a sound after that bizarre tale. Silas could imagine how the wolf's family had responded to the information that a human girl was pregnant by their son. They wouldn't have believed it, but they should have reported it. That situation should never have been swept under the rug. He made a mental note to look into the life of this young man's father to discover the name of his pack.

"That is not normal," one Alpha said. Although his voice was gruff, he looked at the young wolf with compassion.

"No, it's not. What if this young wolf is not alone? What if more human women are capable of bearing our young?"

"What if these women can be mates?" The silence stretched unanswered.

Silas walked over to the young wolf. "Tyrone Bennett, your mother and aunt are under my protection until you are well enough to reclaim that honor yourself. It speaks well of you to concern yourself of your female kin first. I will come by later today and you will introduce me. I ask that you hold off telling her of your dual nature, give us time to discover more about this unique situation. Also, continue to hold it close to yourself, tell no one of your father's concerns over his wife." Silas paused. "You said your father connected with his mate before his death?"

"When my father returned stateside, he took my brother and I hunting like he often did. Except this time, he introduced Matt as his mate. My brother took offense and fought both Matt and my father. I don't think either man expected that. After my brother wounded both men, he left. I stayed to help them get back to their car. My father begged me to understand the mate bond, but I had no point of reference. All I saw was my father cheating on my mom who had been faithful all those years. Everything changed after that. Whether it was guilt or what, I don't know. But my dad stayed away from home more and more. He gave the lamest excuses. Mom put on a brave front, but I could feel her pain and embarrassment. Tyrese, my brother, hated what my dad was doing and lost all respect for him. Matt and dad got a place in the next county. For a while, he tried to be a husband and a mate."

SydneyA
SydneyA
41 Followers