Bitter Sweet Ch. 2

Story Info
Daniel makes a heartbreaking announcement.
2.7k words
4.44
11.5k
3
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Daniel and Brianne woke to the sound of a telephone ringing. Neither spoke, but they both knew what it meant. They lay in each other's arms until the silence weighed down too heavy. Brianne spoke; "The storm must be over if the phone lines are back up."

"Yes." Daniel said with a deep sigh. They again lay there in each other's arms dreading the thought of leaving that bed. "I guess it's time," he finally said.

"I guess it is," Brianne said in a heavyhearted voice.

They both got out of bed and went to the living room. "Are you hungry?" Brianne asked. "I could maybe find something to eat in the kitchen."

"No." Daniel answered. "I don't think I could eat even if I tried."

"Oh" Brianne said. She reached for the remote and turned on the television. There was some newsman on television giving his report.

"This just in, as the storm passes we've learned that the Daniel McCain, The Duke of Hudson is missing from his home. He disappeared several days ago, but because of the dangerous storm no one was able to search for him. There is now a manhunt out sweeping the country looking for the missing boy. Anyone with information on his whereabouts should call their local police. Daniel McCain became the Duke of Hudson..." The man continued telling to story of how Daniel's parents had died tragically a few months prior. Brianne shut the television off to keep Daniel from having to hear the story again.

"They're looking for you," Brianne said.

"Yes. I guess I should call them and tell them where I am. They're all so worried about me." Daniel replied.

"Oh, I guess you should," Brianne said in a disappointed voice.

"What's wrong?" Daniel asked as her grabbed Brianne's hands.

"Nothing. It's just that I don't want you to leave. I've always known you had to go eventually, but the thought of not being able to see you makes my heart ache." She answered.

"I know. I don't want to leave either. But I have responsibilities and people who count on me. I can't stay here any longer." He said.

"I know." She sighed. They both sat there holding the other's hands for a while. Neither wanted to let go. They both feared breaking the bond would mean the end of their love. "Well, the phone is over there. You should call home and tell them where you are. I'm going to go shower and get dressed." Brianne stated.

She got up but Daniel didn't let her hand go. She tugged it away and turned without looking at him. She stepped quickly out of the room and closed the bathroom door behind her. Daniel exhaled loudly and stood. He walked over to the phone and dialed out a number.

"Hello, Frederick. It's me Daniel." He said

"Sir! Are you okay? We've been so very worried about you. Are you being held captive? Do they want money? We'll get it! Let me talk to them! I'll straighten everything out." Frederick said worriedly.

"Frederick, calm down. No one is holding me captive. I'm fine. I'm in a little cottage on the west side of Breking Forrest. Send a driver please."

"Right away sir! It's so good to know you're alive! Good-bye sir. Stay safe." Frederick said then hung up the phone. Daniel sat down and brought his hands to his face. Brianne emerged from the bathroom fully clothed.

"Hello," she said. "Did you call?"

Daniel shook his head up and down. "They're sending someone to get me now."

"That's good," Brianne said in a shaky voice. She went to the door, opened it and looked outside. Daniel stood and walked behind her. He put his arms around her and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"I feel the same way." He said.

"We'll never see each other again, will we?" Brianne asked with tears in her eyes.

Daniel turned Brianne towards him. He held her face in one of his hands while the other stroked her neck under her ear trying to sooth her. "Brianne, remember what you asked me last night? You asked me for your heart back. I'll never do it though. I'm keeping your heart forever and you will keep mine, too. As long as we have each other's hearts, we'll never be apart. I will think of you always. Everyday when I wake I'll see your face. Every afternoon as I walk the gardens, I'll think of your laugh. When I'm giving a speech at some place where I'm very uncomfortable, I'll think of you singing and dancing in the kitchen and I'll smile and not be so afraid. You'll be in my thoughts and heart forever."

Brianne smiled and hugged Daniel. Her smile faded when she heard sirens in the distance. "That must be them coming for you," she stated. Tears began to flow. She stepped back from Daniel and dropped her head. He grabbed her waist and brought her to him again.

"One last kiss, my love." He said. He reached down and tilted her head up. His lips kissed under each of her eyes gently. His smooth lips stroked down her face and he reached her lips. Then touched hers softly then firmly. His tongue parted her lips and found its way into her mouth. They twirled their tongues around and around while they held each other tight. Brianne suddenly broke the kiss as she saw a car pulling close down the path. She quickly hugged Daniel one last time and said, "Goodbye." quickly. She turned and stepped back into the house then closed the door quickly.

Daniel looked at the door then dropped his head. He turned towards the cars and stepped towards them. Frederick opened a door and ran to him. "Sir it's so good to see you again. These past few days were hell for me. I kept thinking of the time when you were 7 and ran away. Your parents and I were so worried. Then we found you in the guesthouse with your little toy men..." Frederick continued his stroll down memory lane Daniel wasn't listening though. His heart was breaking as he stepped further and further from the cottage. As he closed the door to the car and it sped away, a tear rolled down his cheek.

Back inside the house Brianne collapsed to the floor. Tears spilled down her cheeks and a scream of pain escaped her lips. She crawled to the fireplace and lay down next to it. In her head she kept repeating the words, "You have my heart." She curled into the fetal position and fell asleep. She dreamed of walking along a beach while holding Daniel's hand. Somewhere in the back of her mind though she knew it wasn't real.

VII

Daniel had arrived back at his castle. It however didn't feel like home. He walked to his room and lay on the bed. He thought of Brianne and how much he wanted to be with her. Someone suddenly knocked on the door. The door opened and Frederick walked in. "Dante Meridian is here to see you." He said in a suspicious voice. "He wants to talk about you know who."

Daniel sighed and said, "Send him in." Frederick shook his head and walked out of the room. Dante walked in and pulled a chair up to Daniel's bed. He sat and smiled.

"It's good to hear that you're okay, Daniel. We were all worried about you. Now that you're back though, I see no reason to delay the plans any further. It would set the country's minds at ease to know there was a happy ending to this story." Dante explained.

"So we're making this into a fairytale now?" Daniel asked. "My life is their entertainment?"

"Daniel, you know that's not true. The facts simply are that you've been avoiding this for far too long. Every other Duke of Hudson has gone through this as well. Most of them before they inherited the title. I've arranged for a ball tonight. We'll make the announcement then. Be ready by 7:30 tonight. And try to cheer up, Daniel. It isn't all so bad you know." Dante said. He got up and returned his chair to its place then exited the room.

"If you only knew how hard it really is," Daniel said. "Brianne I wish you were here now."

Back at Brianne's cottage the television blasted. Brianne was busy cooking brownies trying to think of anything but Daniel. Suddenly on the television a news brief popped up. "Daniel McCain has been found. He was brought home this morning and is in perfect health. He's throwing a ball tonight where he is expected to make a statement about his disappearance. There is also rumor that he'll make an announcement that will change the country drastically in the next few weeks. We'll of course be bringing you live coverage of all the news tonight."

"Daniel, what's going on?" Brianne asked while she stared at the television. Suddenly she heard a knock on her door. Her heart leapt as she thought it might be Daniel. She quickly walked to the door and opened it with a smile. On the other side wasn't Daniel though, it was a man dressed in a butler's uniform.

"Hello miss," he began, "My name is Frederick VanDullen. I am Mr. McCain's butler. I'm sure you must have heard there is to be a ball tonight in honor of Daniel's safe return. I was so delighted that you took such good care of Daniel that I took it upon myself to ride out here and invite you to the ball."

"My goodness," Brianne gasped, "The ball? Wow. I've never been to one. I don't know if I should go. I don't have anything to wear or a way to get..."

Frederick interrupted, "Don't worry, I've taken all of that into consideration. There will be a woman here in a few hours with a dress for you to wear. She'll also do your hair and help with your makeup. Then around 7 this evening a driver will be sent out to bring you to the ball."

"It seems you've thought of everything." Brianne said happily. "I don't know how to thank you."

"There is no need for thanks. We are all in debt to you for taking Daniel in during the storm. The very least we can do is invite you to this ball." Frederick answered. "I must be going now, but I look forward to seeing you tonight. Good afternoon, miss"


"Good-bye" Brianne called out as Frederick walked away. "I'm going to the ball. I feel like a princess. Oh, Daniel I can't wait to see your face when I show up!"

VIII

The clock in the tower rang out 7 times. Daniel sighed as he thought of what he'd have to do in the next few hours. He didn't want to. The only comfort was knowing Brianne wouldn't be there to see it all. Daniel then heard a knock on his door followed by Frederick opening the door.

"Are you ready, sir?" He asked.

"As ready as one could be in my situation." Daniel answered.

"Then let us get going. We mustn't make the people wait." Frederick said.

The two men walked out to the garden ballroom. Daniel's eye's darted back and forth as he searched to make sure Brianne wasn't around this evening. He didn't want her to see what he was about to do.

Frederick looked at him puzzled and asked, "What are you looking for, sir?"

"The girl, Brianne, she works in these gardens. I was looking to see if she was out here this evening." Daniel replied.

"Oh, I doubt she won't be out here tonight, sir" Frederick answered.

"You've given all the gardeners the night off?" Daniel asked.

"Well, yes" Frederick said, "but I also invited Miss Brianne to the ball this evening."

"You did what!?" Daniel shouted. "Why did you invite her?"

"Well I thought it was only appropriate after she took you in during the storm. Don't you agree?"

"No, I don't agree. I did not want her here tonight. Frederick, how could you do this?!"

"I'm sorry, sir. I still don't see why this is such a big deal though. Look we're here. Let's just go inside and enjoy ourselves. This promises to be an amazing night." Frederick said as he walked into the ball.

"Amazing wasn't the word that came to mind," thought Daniel.

Daniel followed behind Frederick into the massive ballroom. Already there were hundreds of people inside. Some danced, some ate, and some gaily chatted in groups. Daniel was lead to the head table where he sat and scanned the room. Luckily he did not see Brianne. "Maybe she won't come." He thought to himself.

Daniel sat in his chair for an hour or more before Dante came to him and said, "Sir, try not to look so glum. Cheer up. It's time to make the announcement."

Daniel felt his stomach turn. He nodded and followed Dante to the stage. The group was asked to quiet down while Daniel made his announcement. Everywhere around him were groups of people staring. There were cameras flashing everywhere and video cameras recording him. At first Daniel was frightened then he thought of the words he'd said to Brianne; "I'll think of you dancing and singing in the kitchen then I'll laugh and be okay." Daniel took a deep breath and began his speech.

"Good evening everyone. I thank you all for attending this ball on such short notice. I was happy to hear that no major damage occurred during the storm. There were no deaths and injuries were minimal. I, myself, felt the wrath of the storm when I was caught in the middle of it far from home. Luckily the prayers of the people were heard and I was safely led to shelter. Since returning home I've been given a clean bill of health. Besides a few bumps and bruises I'm as good as ever.

Now I know you've all been patiently awaiting this big announcement. I will keep you waiting no longer. As you know a few months ago my parents were tragically lost. Since then I have been trying to fill their responsibilities the best I could. A few weeks ago though I realized there was something missing in my attempts to rule this country so well. I think of myself as a strong, wise young man. But we all know it's not just the man who runs the country. It's also the woman behind him. Tonight I would like to introduce that woman who is to the strong one behind me. I would like you all to meet Tamara Killington. She and I are engaged to be married one week from this Sunday."

A loud cheer broke out around the room. Shouts of congratulations and best wished were yelled. On the outside Daniel tried to be happy and smile. He knew this was what would be best for his people. They needed a strong woman from a well-established family to stand behind the man who led them. Inside though Daniel's heart was aching. He could only think of Brianne and how she'd react to the news.

Suddenly Daniel looked up and toward the door. There was a woman standing in front of them. She wore a white dress covered with silver sparkles. Her hair was flawlessly piled atop her head. Her makeup was heavy, but he could see her eyes perfectly as they filled with tears. He realized it was Brianne. His Brianne had heard the entire announcement. She looked into his eyes then turned and ran out of the room. He tried to run after her, but Dante grabbed his arm.

"Don't even think about it, Daniel." He said in an evil voice. "You've just announced to these people you're engaged. You will never see that girl again."

Daniel just starred at him with his mouth open. Inside of him the hate and hurt he'd managed to let go with Brianne's help started to build up again. He pulled his arm away from Dante and. sat back down in his seat. "No one tells me what to do," Daniel thought. "I'll have everything I want no matter what you say, Dante."

to be continued...