Bittersweet

Story Info
Is their love enough to keep them together?
4.1k words
4.21
16.8k
3
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I

Brianne was in the lavender garden tending to the newly planted flora when the sound of loud boots hitting gravel caught her attention. A young man was running in her direction. The look on his face was pure anguish. His white polo shirt was covered with brown stains and his khaki pants had a hole in the knee. She could tell he'd been crying from the blotchiness under his eyes. It made her heart ache to see someone in such distress. He looked up at her and stopped suddenly. His head turned as he searched for a place to hide. The young man then saw a path leading into the shrub garden. He began to run in that direction.

Brianne jumped to her feet and silently chased the young man. He stopped at a low bench and sat. His face rested in his hands and his head shook back and forth. The boy then stood again and made angry fists. He screamed, "I hate it all! It shouldn't have happened like this! It shouldn't have been so soon! Why didn't you let me be with them? Damn everything!"

Tears flooded to Brianne's eyes, but she managed to hold them back. In a small voice she finally spoke. "Excuse me, are you all right?"

"Who are you," he snapped at her. "Why are you following me? Did they send you?"

She stuttered, "I... my... my name is Brianne. I don't know who 'they' are. I saw your face and how sad you looked. I only wanted to see if I could help."

"Don't you even know who I am?!" he asked angrily. "You have to know who I am. You know what happened to me. You know what happened to them all."

"I'm sorry. I don't know who you are. I only recently moved here. I don't know anyone really." she answered.

"Well, I'm the Duke of Hudson. My father and mother were killed in a plane crash two days ago. Not that it should matter to a person like you. I'd like to be alone now so if you still want your job I suggest you leave and I won't tell your supervisor you disturbed me." He said cruelly.

"Oh, dear," she gasped. "I'm so very, very sorry. If you need anything..."

"I already told you to leave. That is all I need from you. Now go!" he shouted.

Brianne turned around and scampered away quickly. Tears swelled in her eyes. "What a sad boy," she sighed. Brianne walked back to the lavender garden and picked weeds out. She couldn't help but think of the miserable young man. His spiteful words hurt her to some degree, but she thought they only came from his sadness. She knew somewhat how he felt. She'd lost her own mother two years prior. Brianne couldn't imagine losing both parents at once though. Her father wasn't the most responsible man, but he always loved and cared for her the best he could.

II

Outside the wind howled and trees creaked. The breeze made the eaves on Brianne's roof shriek. The ancient tool shed swayed to and fro and finally collapsed with a loud crack. Inside the fire battled to spurt forth its warmth against the cold. Brianne sat on the couch curled up with a romance novel. "Philippe's long, strong hands reached out and grasped Nadia's waist. He pulled her towards him and said, 'Tonight will last forever, my love.' His lips pressed firmly against her cheek and slowly trailed down her neck. He reached her bosom and inhaled deeply. Philippe pushed Nadia's shirt down revealing her full breast and nipples. His mouth watered as he suckled on her round pink buttons. Nadia's gasped and then let out a low primal moan. She..."

Brianne suddenly heard a strange sound outside. It was like an animal in distress. She went to the window and looked out in her yard. On the ground under a tree was a tall figure writhing in pain. She opened the door and called out. "Hello. Who are you? Are you hurt?"

"Help... please help." The voice muttered.

"Oh dear. I'm coming. Hold on." Brianne answered. When Brianne reached the person she realized it was a tall, broad man. He was lying on the ground with a large branch near him. She stooped down and reached under his arms. Using all of her weight, she leaned back and pulled the man to his knees. "You're going to have to help me get you up. I'm not strong enough." The man used his feeble strength and pulled himself to his feet. "Lean on me and I'll guide you to the cottage." She said.

Once inside, Brianne sat the man by the fire. "You're going to need to take those wet clothes off. I'll get some towels." She walked to the bathroom and got a few towels. When she returned to the room, she looked down and found him sitting in his boxer underwear. His strong back was facing her as the muscles flexed when he breathed. There was something familiar about him she realized. He turned to her and she gasped. It was him! The young man she'd followed into the garden a few months back. His face had lost the sad look, but in its place was a look of anger and hate.

"What are you staring at? Are you going to give me the towels or not?" he snapped at her.

"Y-yes... here," she answered. "Do you remember me?"

"I don't make it my business to remember common people like yourself." he replied.

"Oh, well I remember you. You were in the gardens a few months ago. I followed you, but you were very upset. You told me to leave you alone." she said.

He looked at her for a few moments and stated, "Oh it's you, the snoop. Well, snoop, I'm thankful for you rescuing me, but I don't wish to stay in this dwelling any longer. Do you have a phone so I can call someone to come get me?"

"Yes, I have a phone, but the lines were knocked out in the storm. I'm afraid you'll be stuck here until the storm passes. Don't worry the television says it will pass in a few days." she said in a cheery voice.

"A few days?!" he whined. "I'm stuck here overnight? Well I at least hope you have some place for me to rest. And perhaps something to eat. Caviar and champagne maybe?"

"Well I was about to have some soup and cheese sandwiches. It's all I have really. Would you care to join me?" She asked.

He sighed and said, "I guess I have no other choice if it's all you have."

She smiled weakly at him and said, "Um oh it'll be ready in a bit. Maybe you'd like to shower? It will warm you. The bathroom's down that hall. First door on the left."

"Yes. A shower. I think I will." he replied. He stood up and walked down the hall. The door closed behind him with a thud. When Brianne heard the water start to run, she turned and walked to the kitchen. "What a miserable man." she said with a deep sigh.


Soon the water turned off and the man entered the room once again. Brianne was busy putting bread and butte on the table. "The food will be out in a few minutes. Please come sit down," she said. The man sat and looked around the room while saying nothing. Finally Brianne set down a bowl in front of him. "Here you go," she said.

"Ugh," the man let out.

Brianne ignored his disappointment and tried to start a conversation. "How did you end up out there," she asked.

"I was out in the woods alone. I was taking a walk down a path I often follow. As I traveled along I saw a strange animal out off the path. I decided to follow it and left the path. I walked and walked and then realized I was lost. Then it started to rain... hard. I just kept walking until I saw the light from your home. As I was making my way to the door, a big branch fell from one of the trees and tripped me. I was dazed for a few minutes, then I started yelling out for help. Finally you came to the door and saw me. It sure took you long enough, you know. I could have died out there. I must have been in that rain for at least two hours." he explained.

"Well you're safe now. We'll just have to make sure you don't get sick from being in that cold for so long." she said as cheerfully as possible.

"Yeah I guess," he answered. The two finished their paltry meal in silence. Brianne finally got up and started to clear the dishes from the table. She washed and dried them and then sigh as if to say "All done."

After dinner, Brianne led Daniel to her bedroom. "You may sleep here if you'd like. I know you hurt yourself out there. The bed will be good for you. I'll sleep on the couch." He looked around the room and gave a grunt of approval. He stepped in the room, turned around to her, and closed the door in her face. "If he wasn't so cute I might just give him a piece of my mind." she thought and giggled.

III

In the middle of the night Brianne awoke to the feeling of a full bladder. She walked to the bathroom and relieved herself. "I think I'll check on him." she thought. She walked into her bedroom and whispered, "Hello. Are you awake?" The man did not answer, but she heard fast panting coming from the bed. She walked over and touched his face. It was burning with fever. "Oh no!" she yelled. "Wake up! Please wake up!" He did not wake, but from the way he was breathing, Brianne knew he was in trouble.

She managed to drag him out of the bed and into the bathroom. She pulled his body into the tub and removed the layers of clothing on him. His strong muscled chest was revealed and Brianne was stuck in a daze for a few seconds. She snapped out of it, got down to his boxers and said, "Now's no time for modesty. She striped the underwear off and turn the cold water on full blast.

She started to cry when she looked at his face and saw it grimace. She fell to the ground and started to shake him. "Please open your eyes!" she shouted, "Please!" His eyes jerked open suddenly and he looked up into her eyes. There was a moment when the both of them felt something strange flow through their bodies. The pain immediately disappeared from his face and he reached out and grabbed her into his strong muscled hug. "Thank you! Thank you!" she cried.

They stayed in the embrace for a few minutes before she began to shake as the cold water chilled her. He released her when he realized she was cold.

"I'm sorry." he said.

"It's okay," she replied. "I'm just glad you're all right."

She helped him out of the tub and handed him a towel. "You're naked," she said as her face flushed into a crimson color.

He looked down and saw his own bare body. "You're almost the same," he replied while pointing to her soaked nightgown. The shape of her breasts was clearly visible and her hard nipples were easily seen through the wet cloth. He smiled then grabbed the towel and wrapped it around his waist. She blushed then led him back to the bedroom and got both of them some dry clothes.

Brianne helped him back into the bed and pulled the covers over him. He was still cold so she lie down in the bed next to him and rubbed her hands up and down his back trying to warm him. In a few minutes he seemed to be relaxed and warm so she tried to get up off the bed and make her way back to the couch. His head shot up and he said in a small frightened voice, " Please don't leave me." She stood still for a second, took a deep breath and laid back down in the bed with her back was towards his back. He turned over, reached out, and put his arm around her. She closed her eyes and smiled then fell into a peaceful sleep.

IV

Brianne woke to a loud boom the next morning. It was thunder from the storm. She looked down and saw an arm around her. Looking behind her she remember the events of the previous evening. Daniel had arrived at her home in the middle of the storm. They shared dinner and a conversation. Then in the middle of the night she discovered him breathing in distress. She'd put him in the cold shower to bring his fever down. He woke up and hugged her. When she put him back to bed, he begged her not to leave him alone.

A strange feeling like the one felt last night as she stared into his eyes surged through her belly. She smiled and got out of the bed. It was cold out in the living room so she started a fire then went into the kitchen to make breakfast. She turned the radio on and had a flash back to her childhood. The Partridge Family's I Think I Love You was playing. She hummed along with David Cassidy and shook her hips while she scrambled some eggs.

Daniel woke to the sound and smell of something good. He found his way to the kitchen and saw Brianne cooking and dancing. He smiled and let out a low laugh as Brianne picked up the spatula and started using it like a microphone. She started spinning around for her finale and realized Daniel was watching her. "Oh geez!" she yelled out.

He had a queer look on his face, but smiled at the same time. "Nice show," he mocked.

"Um, thanks," she replied while blushing. "Are you hungry? I made some eggs."

"Yeah sure, thanks," he said.

The two sat down and ate their modest meal while exchanging little conversation. Both didn't know how to approach what had happened to them the night before. Brianne wanted to lean over and kiss Daniel, but she didn't know if he felt the same about her. Daniel wanted to grab Brianne and hold her close, but it didn't seem like the dignified thing for him to do.

Finally Brianne broke the silence. "I'm going to take a shower now. Feel free to watch some television or to look around. I'll be back in about twenty minutes."

She walked away towards the bathroom and Daniel got up and walked into the living room. He looked over her shelves and saw many books on herb and vegetable gardening. On the walls were many pictures of ferns and other green foliage. All of the furniture was old, but had a homey feeling to it. On her coffee table were a few scattered papers. One seemed to be lying on something. He reached over and picked the papers up. Under it was a book with the title 'Nadia's Romance.' "Interesting," he thought. He picked the book up and opened to the page with the book mark in it. He read a few paragraphs then said out loud, "Holy geez! She reads lady porn!" Suddenly from the bathroom he heard strange sounds. He walked towards the door to see if Brianne was okay.

He opened the door slightly and saw a sight that instantly made him hard. Brianne was naked in the shower with her back leaning against the wall. She had one leg raised and resting on the tub. One hand was twisting and pulling her nipple while the other played between her legs. She moaned and her face contorted. "Oh yeah," she moaned, "Daniel, touch me there. Play with my nipples. Squeeze them and lick them. Oh ah ohhhh!" Her back arched away from the wall and her face spread in a wide smile as she climaxed.

Daniel turned away from the bathroom and went back to the living room. He sat on the couch in a dazed state. "This isn't good," he said out loud. "I'm falling too far for this girl. I can't lose control. My life is set and I can't change any of it. I have no room for her!" He heard the water turn off in the bathroom. He quickly turned the television on as Brianne came out of the bathroom.

Brianne had a towel wrapped around her hair and a thick green robe on. She smiled at him as she entered the room. She came and sat by him and pulled her legs under herself. "That was a nice shower," she stated.

"Oh yeah?" he said.

"Yeah nice and refreshing," she cooed. She reached over and wiped a wisp of hair out of his face.

"Hey, what are you doing," he snapped.

"I was just..." she tried to answer.

"You're violating my personal space!" he yelled.

"What's wrong with you?" she asked with a puzzled expression.

"I should be asking you that question!" he said.

"Last night you were so open," she said with tears in her eyes.

"Last night I was delusional. It was the fever," he replied.

"No, that's not it at all. You're closing up for some reason. What happened? I thought we were getting closer. Last night felt real to me. The way we slept so close together and all."

He quickly answered, "Like I said, I was delusional. I was just caught up in the moment. A pretty girl by my side and all. Any man would have done the same. Hell, most men would probably have gone further. Besides, you're just some common little woman. You're not good enough to be with me. I'm of a higher caste than you."

Tears flooded into her eyes and began to flood down her face. "I'm not good enough for you? You think you're so big, bold and bad! I let you, a strange man I know nothing about, come into my home. I feed you. I give you a place to rest. I save your miserable little life in the middle of the night. I take your verbal abuse and say nothing back to you. I even open my heart to you and stupidly let myself fall for you. But I'm not good enough for you? You know what, you are not good enough for me.

Maybe you were born into money and social standing, unfortunately manners and basic human compassion can't be passed from generation to generation. So maybe I am poor and maybe I live in a small broken down cottage, but I at least have feelings and emotions. And I don't let things I have no control over rule my life!

"What's that supposed to mean?!" he said in defense.

She looked at him with hurt on her face and said, "Three months ago I met you for the first time. I could see you were hurting so I followed you. You were rude and disgusting to me, but I let myself believe it was the tragedy you'd just gone through. Last night you show up in my yard. You're still that same mean and evil boy you were then. You haven't let go of the hurt. Instead you let it mold you into some angry little thing. You need to let go of it all. It's time to move on."

"You know nothing about me, girl. Don't tell me what I need to do. You know nothing you disgusting country trash!" he bellowed back.

Tear were streaming down Brianne's face. Her heart felt like it was going to burst. "Why am I even trying. You'll never get it. You'll never understand. The storm should pass by morning. You can leave then and go back to your little superficial life!" She ran from the room and into her bedroom. She slammed the door and fell to the bed. She cried and cried until there were no tears left, then she fell asleep.

Back in the living room Daniel pounded his fists into the couch and clenched his teeth. "What an evil little harpy she is. No one insults me like that, no one!" His hands flew up to his face and tears began to swell. "Who am I kidding. She's so right. Everything she said is true. I'm a monster. I've ruined the greatest love I've ever known. What am I going to do?"

V

"Brianne... Brianne, can you hear me?" Daniel whispered into the dark room.

"What are you doing in my room," she said sharply.

"I... I wanted to... well I'm... I'm sorry," he said in a small voice.

"I didn't know people in your caste apologized. Especially to poor country trash like myself," she answered mockingly.

"I didn't mean that, Brianne. I'm so sorry," Daniel began. "You're right you know. Everything you said was right. When my parents died all of my love and hope died with them. For a while I was angry with God. I asked him why he would let them die like that and not let me go, too. Then I just stopped caring. I let the anger rule my life and control everything I did. All those hurtful things I said before, that was the anger. I'm truely sorry. I'll leave you now if you want."

"No, don't go," she said. "Come back. We should talk."

"Okay," he said as he walked in the room. He sat on the edge of the bed. From this close he could see how puffy her eyes were. She'd been crying a lot he could tell. It made his heart ache to know he'd caused her so much pain.

"You know, what you said to me hurt me more than any other person ever has. All those things you said, I lay here and thought about them. I started to think they were true." she said in a shaky voice.

"No, oh God no! Don't ever think that. You're the most kind and giving person I think I've ever known. None of that was true. Please don't ever think those things about yourself. It was all said out of spite."

"Why? Why did you want to hurt me?" she asked

"There are so many things happening in my life. I wasn't looking to find true love. I don't think I have room for it." he answered.

12