Black Friday

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
qhml1
qhml1
8,988 Followers

..............................................

I let her pick, so naturally we went to see a sappy romantic piece. I didn't really mind, because she held my hand almost from the time we were seated. She had tears in her eyes at the end, sighed and leaned against me.

"I just love happily ever after, don't you?"

If she'd said she wished it had turned into a slasher film halfway through and everybody got eaten by zombies, I would have still agreed. We went to a small Italian place she knew of and had pizza, boxing up the extra slices for Jane.

She asked me in.

"Jane's on a date, and I'm kind of nervous being alone. Do you mind?"

Duh.

We sat on the couch, sipping coffee, snuggling after a bit. She reached up and gave me a little kiss. I was right in the middle of giving her a big one when Jane got home. We had just enough time to separate. She took one look at our flushed faces and her mussed hair and giggled. She went into her room, telling us it would be easier for us to 'talk', but the fact she was there made us behave. Did get a nice goodbye kiss, and a date for the next Saturday. And supper on Wednesday.

It became a pattern, date on the weekend, supper on Wednesday. About every third time I took them out. Nothing fancy, a nice buffet restaurant or barbeque place. They seemed to enjoy being spoiled a bit.

I really looked forward to seeing both of them. I missed family. In my mind things were sailing along quite smoothly. We were in our fifth month and hadn't gotten intimate yet, but we had come close. To me, it was long term. It hit me when I went to Sears to buy a new tool. I walked in the mall entrance on the opposite side, and passed one of those jewelry stores, and before I knew it I was looking at a display of engagement rings, wondering which style she would like.

Steeling my resolve, I walked in, and before I knew what was happening, a young sales girl had talked me into a ring she said older women really liked. I bought it on the spot, after being assured if she said no or didn't like it I could return or exchange it. It was early March, and I thought I would surprise her, maybe have a June wedding. I read women really liked that.

She had gotten me to take her to church every Sunday. I wasn't much on organized religion, but she was serious about her faith. I have to say I actually enjoyed it, to the point of occasionally helping out at an odd fundraiser or remodel project. I even took to going to the mens' breakfast every other week.

I was happy and I thought she was too.

...............................................

It all fell apart the next Wednesday. We had just enjoyed a nice meal, and were enjoying dessert. I asked her what she'd like to do over the weekend.

She had an odd expression in her eye.

"I'm sorry, Frank, but I've already made other plans. One of the doctors at work wants me to go with him to some fundraiser at the Country Club, and I accepted."

It couldn't have hurt worse if she'd slapped me. The pound cake I had just enjoyed suddenly felt like it weighed a ton as heavily as it sat on my stomach.

I know I stuttered when I spoke.

"Oh...Oh, all right then. Maybe another time."

I made a few inane statements and left. Without a doubt I was hurt, but I hadn't said anything to make her think we owed each other fidelity. She hadn't made me any promises, and I hadn't asked. I guess I just assumed she felt the same for me as I did for her. Wasn't the first time I was wrong.

Saturday I sat and brooded. I was mad at her, mad at myself, mad at the situation. Just plain mad.

I've been told a time or two by about everyone who's ever known me I can be stubborn. She wanted a doctor? Fine. She could have him.

I didn't go to church Sunday. Nor did I call or show up Wednesday. Thursday she called me, I took one look at the number and let it go to voicemail. Deleted the three messages on the home phone without listening to them.

I didn't talk to her on Friday either. She called and left a message wondering how to dress for Saturday for our date. I waited until I knew she was at work to leave her a message that I had made plans for this weekend and didn't remember asking her out. Sorry if I led her to believe otherwise.

I packed up my truck and went up to the mountains. Trout fishing always relaxed me, but this time I couldn't concentrate. I caught two fish in ten hours, both too small to keep. Ended up grilling a hot dog for supper. Sat watching my fire later, wondering how I could ever compete with a doctor. Sighing, I rolled into my sleeping bag, glad I had bought the double height air mattress. Surprisingly, I slept really well.

Monday afternoon I was greeted by a furious Jane when I got home.

"Where the hell have you been? Mom has cried for most of the weekend, over you."

I was still pretty pissed.

"Why don't you go back to your mom and ask her to get her doctor over to console her. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have things to do."

She ignored me, following right into my living room.

"This is what all this is about? You idiot. She didn't want to go. She wanted you to tell her not to, that you wanted her exclusively. She wanted to move you forward to something more permanent."

I stopped her in the middle of her rant.

"Did she go out with the doctor?"

Jane hesitated for a second.

"Yes she did. And if it makes any difference, she had a terrible time. She only wanted to make you a little jealous, dummy."

"Go back to her and tell her it worked. And tell her I'm too old, too dumb, and too set in my ways to play teenage games. All she had to do was ask, and I would have told her I wanted her all to myself. If it makes any difference, I was making long range plans. Together forever plans. But if she can pull stuff like this, what will she do down the road when things don't go exactly her way or if I make her angry over some little thing? I don't have that much of my life left, and be damned if I'll spend it like that."

Jane stood openmouthed during my little rant.

"Oh my God! You love her, don't you? News flash, idiot, I think she loves you more. Please Frank, talk to her. Get over this, and I'm sure she'll make you a very happy man. Promise me you won't go anywhere. I'm going home and tell her about our talk. Please, Frank, if you care for her at all, answer the phone when she calls. Please?"

I looked at her. She seemed so earnest.

"I don't have any plans for this afternoon or evening. I'll be available to answer the phone."

She jumped int my arms, kissed me, and flew out of the driveway.

An hour later I was mowing my grass. I had set my phone to vibrate to make sure I didn't miss a call. It never went off. Oh well. I guess Jane was mistaken. Maybe she didn't want to talk after all.

I made a round and as I turned I saw her car come flying into my drive. She was going so fast she didn't get stopped until she was twenty feet into my grass. Looked like I had to do a little replanting.

Luckily she put it in park, because she was out and moving pretty fast. I had time to turn off the mower and stand up before she jumped on me, causing us both to fall. She was crying pretty hard.

I couldn't really understand what she was saying. "Sorry," and "forgive," came up a couple of times in her babbling. I shut her up the only way I could think of. I kissed her.

To say she kissed me back would be an understatement. I think she was trying to devour my face.

I finally got her calmed down enough to let us get up and lead her to the porch swing. She was a true mess, hair disarrayed, lipstick smeared, loose grass all over her clothes. I wished I had thought to take a picture. Then again, I'm sure I looked a mess too.

Once I got her arranged, I started our conversation.

"So. Jane said you wanted to talk? About what?"

She started crying again. This time I just let her cry it out. I may have cuddled her, a little. I really don't remember. Finally she settled.

"I need to apologize, Frank. What I did was childish, and looking back, downright stupid. I didn't want to go on that date. I wanted you to tell me not to, that I belonged to you. Looking back, I realize I did it all wrong. I should have told you he asked, but since I was seeing you I didn't want to answer until we talked. That would have given us both a way to state our feelings. Please, please, forgive me. I was afraid to say it before, but I love you."

She looked so pitiful and yet full of hope at the same time I couldn't stand it.

"Next time you even attempt to do something that stupid, I'll take you over my knee. You belong to me. Exclusively. Do you understand? And just so you know, I love you too."

That led to another round of crying and kissing. When she calmed down, she made me a solemn promise that if she came anywhere near being that stupid again, she'd supply the hairbrush.

She finally settled down, snuggled so tight she was almost on top of me. Timidly, she asked what was really on her mind.

"Honey, Jane hinted around you had something serious you had to say to me. Can you tell me what it was?"

I didn't answer. I got up and went to the truck and opened the passenger door.

"Get your butt in the truck, woman. I have something to show you."

She almost ran, scrambling into the truck. I didn't have to, but I buckled her seat belt and gave her a kiss.

We drove in silence for about twenty minutes, before I pulled into a drive and got out. I unlocked the gate and drove through.

It was a long, twisting drive, between thirteen stately old pecan trees. At one time there were fourteen, but one succumbed to a lightning strike. The drive ended in a huge yard. She could see a barn and several outbuilding a bit farther on, but no house. I opened the truck and handed her out.

"Where are we?"

Her eyes seemed to shine. I ignored her.

"Twelve acres" I said, waving my arm around. "Five wooded, three in pasture, the rest field and yard. The house used to stand right here before vandals burned it down. Still has the well and septic tank hooked up."

"Who owns it?" She asked, hope shining in her eyes.

"We do. Or at least we will when we get married. I bought it a year ago, but couldn't see putting a house on it just for me. And I'm smart enough to let you pick the kind of house you want. But first..." I got down on my knee, no mean feat for some one my age, opening the box I had put in my pocket, "you have to say yes. Debbie Martin, will you marry me?"

She went pale. I seriously thought she was going to faint, but she pulled herself together, screamed "YES" and launched herself at me, again. For someone our age, we were spending a lot of time rolling on the ground kissing.

................................................

She held my hand all the way back to the house. She went into the bathroom and I heard her on the phone. Later I heard the shower start up. Just before she got in, she cracked open the door and called out.

"Honey, will you wash my back?"

I couldn't get into the bathroom fast enough.

Like I said before, she wasn't a beauty queen. But she was beautiful to me. She managed to get me into the shower with her. We soaped each other, getting familiar physically until the water started getting cold.

I don't know how long it had been for Debbie, but I hadn't been with a woman in two years. My ex was obsessed with her weight, and remained thin to the point of skinny all our married lives. Debbie was very well padded, soft, yielding, a delight to touch. And I touched a lot.

We made love, we didn't have sex. Words can't describe it, so I'm not even going to try.

As we cuddled, she started crying again. Boy, I hoped this wasn't going to be permanent. I may be a little slow, but I was smart enough to hold her, whispering words of love, until she cried it out.

................................................

She didn't leave until the next morning. When my alarm went off I was alone. It was very disappointing. My smile would have illuminated a large city when I found her in the kitchen, wearing one of my tees, cooking breakfast.

"Morning, love" was all she said, as she sat a plate in front of me. Of course the kiss she gave me said all I needed to hear.

As I ate she kept up a constant chatter. Nerves, I guess. Before I left she made me give her a house key.

"I need to shop. You don't keep much in the way of groceries around here. How can I feed you with a bare pantry?"

I think she went into shock when I asked her to wait so I could go with her.

"Okay honey. I called in, took two vacation days. You need to let me drive your truck today so I can move some of my stuff, all right? And this is important, I need to keep paying the rent on the apartment, Jane can't afford it. Do you mind?"

Apparently she was moving in. I don't think I could have smiled any wider.

"No, I don't mind. I'll drive the Lincoln. Love you, babe. Gotta go, or I'll be late."

The goodbye kiss was so long I ended up being ten minutes late anyway.

.................................................

That afternoon we went grocery shopping. Such a simple mundane thing, but it filled me with great joy. I was never a picky eater, so I went along with pretty much everything. The bill was over two hundred dollars. Apparently I was out of everything. She was fumbling with her debit card when I stopped her.

"Here" I said giving her mine. "We need to go down to the bank so I can add you to the account. Luckily, they're open on Saturday morning. We'll go then."

Damn it, she started crying again. Over dinner she brought up closing her accounts and combining with me. She was surprised when I told her no.

"Not now, honey. Right now you need to focus on Jane and her education. And I don't want to pay her rent forever. When we go house shopping, make sure it's at least a three bedroom. And a plan where the master bedroom is on the opposite end of the house would be a good idea, give a little privacy to all of us."

She was crying again. Maybe I needed to stop talking.

Jane came charging in right after we had cleaned the kitchen. She grabbed me and gave me a quick kiss.

"Hi, Dad. Any supper left?"

She said it like she had been saying it to me her whole life. It affected me greatly

"Maybe a little. You need to show up on time if you want it hot."

And just like that, we were a family.

.................................................

It was supposed to be a small, intimate marriage, but when the reverend announced it at the end of his service, it got away from us pretty fast. She had been a member since she had moved here, and nearly everyone loved her. The ladies of the church took over and towed us along. The church was filled to the rafters with our friends, my family, and most of the congregation.

It was a short reception, for us. We left while the party was in full swing, to catch the boat for our honeymoon. No sandy beaches and hot locations, we were going to Alaska. It was her choice. Her first honeymoon was a beach trip. So was mine. We wanted something fresh.

We enjoyed it, when we came out of our room. Even at our age, a honeymoon is still a honeymoon.

When we got home we went house shopping. I had a friend who worked for a company building modular houses, and I was impressed with his. I suggested it to Debbie, and we weighed the pros and cons of modular versus stick built, and modular won.

Debbie asked me what I most wanted in a house.

"To be able to live in it with you," was all the answer I had, and apparently all I needed to say. Soon she and Jane were visiting local dealers, comparing companies, until she found the one she wanted. Three bedrooms, seventeen hundred square feet.

She pulled me along to a model, and I was impressed. We started talking price, and I soon decided I didn't like the salesman. He was too busy telling us what we needed to listen to what we wanted. I politely asked for the sales manager.

"I'm going to save us a bunch of time. We want this model, in the colors my wife chooses. Tell me what your price is. If it's in line with your competitors, we'll start the paperwork. I am not tying up our land in the deal. I will probably put down at least sixty per cent. Give me a good price, a decent interest rate, and we'll have a deal. And[I pointed at another salesman]I want him to handle us from here on out."

With that kind of a down payment they were all over us. Deb and Jane picked the siding, shingle, and shutter color. She talked them into upgrading the master bath at no extra cost, including a large whirlpool bathtub.

"For our aching muscles" she said. I looked at the tub, imagined us in it together, and had a good idea which muscle would be aching.

She seemed shocked when I told her no to a prenupt. She thought I would want one since we were using up most of my savings to get the house.

"Have you already forgotten our wedding vows?"

She looked confused.

"Remember the part about 'all my worldly goods I thee endow'? I don't know about you, but I was serious."

I was watching her pretty close. A good thing, or we would have ended up rolling around on the ground again.

.................................................

We settled into married life pretty easily. Neither of us were demanding. We didn't fight for power or play games. If she was better at things, she took the lead, and I did the same. She took care of the house. I took care of the cars, the yard, all the outside things. Anything that fell between we shared.

I gave up my rented space at the garage and fixed up one of the outbuildings as a workshop. I also kept the barn in good shape, never knowing when I might need it.

The lease on her old apartment ran out, and Jane moved in with us. It was a slight adjustment, but we knew it wouldn't be permanent.

She had graduated and was a registered nurse now. She needed to get a masters degree to realize her dream of being a nurse practitioner, if she could find the money. She was in line for a partial scholarship, but it would cover less than half. She considered taking a year off and working full time to save money, but the catch was if she did there was no guarantee the scholarship would still be there.

I had bought a 1970 model Chevrolet pickup pretty cheap. I had rebuilt the engine, the body work was completed, all it needed was painting, something I couldn't do.

I sat them down at the kitchen table on a Saturday morning. It was where we made most of our big decisions.

"I've thought about this a good bit. I put my fist daughter through college. I can't see slighting my second. Jane, this is for you."

I gave her a check. Twenty eight thousand dollars.

"Where did this come from?"

Hder voice was trembling while Debbie looked on in shock.

"I sold the Studebaker. I've got the Chevy, and it will be far more practical. It was time, and the money will be put to good use. Between this and the scholarship, you can focus on your studies. We'll keep gas in your car, make sure you have money for your needs. All you need to do is graduate. That, and we expect free health care."

I said the last with a grin. I don't know who was more shocked, Jane or her mom. Then the tears started. After that came the hugs. Later came the loving from my wife.

"You didn't have to do that, you know." She whispered it into my ear as we lay resting.

"Yes I did. I never had any biological kids, and I always wanted a large family. For a long time I thought it would just be Amy. Then you gave me Jane. I never got to help raise her, this is the only way I could think of to catch up. I probably should have talked this over with you first, but you would have just tried to talk me out of it. She deserves this honey. Be happy for her."

She snuggled tighter.

"I am. I'm also happy for me. I don't know what I did to deserve you. I think all the suffering and hardship I endured before you was a test, to make me appreciate what you've given me. I made an oath to God and myself that I would always be worthy of your love."

qhml1
qhml1
8,988 Followers