Black Velvet Ch. 01

Story Info
A new crime; a devastating family loss.
12.1k words
4.76
13.2k
6

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 03/23/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 1 - Prologue

Dawn, Friday, February 3d. I stood alone before the grave of Corporal Peter M. Feeley, not feeling the cold of the morning nor the wind whipping around me. I contemplated how all of my successes did not bring Feeley back, and that one mistake on my part could have tragic consequences for those around me, particularly the Police Officers under my command.

I heard someone coming up behind me. I turned, halfway expecting it to be Tanya Perlman or Cindy Ross. It was neither: it was Teresa Croyle. She came up and laid a small bouquet of flowers on the grave, up behind the small urn for flowers so they wouldn't blow away for a few minutes, at least.

After several more minutes of silent contemplation, Teresa asked "Commander... when are you going to stop beating yourself up over Pete's death?"

"Maybe when I retire, or die." I said. "But as long as I'm responsible for your life and the lives of your fellow Officers, I will never, ever stop remembering the consequences of my failure."

"It won't bring him back." Teresa said, as if she'd read my thoughts.

"No," I said, "but it drives me to work harder, to be better... and to make sure I take care of anything and everything that I can make a difference over."

Teresa did not reply. Finally, I turned to go, and she came with me. As we walked back to the car, she said "I'm not going to be the one to say you're wrong about letting this burn inside you. It's part of what defines you, just as what my father said to me still burns at me, and defines me."

"The circumstances are different," I said, "but I think you do understand." We got into our vehicles and drove back into Town, and to Police Headquarters, leaving Peter M. Feeley to continue his eternal watch...

Part 2 - Political Maneuvers

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette from the parking garage of the Courthouse at 7:00am, still February 3d. She was obviously trying to stay out of the wind as she continued: "Channel Two News has learned that several injured protesters have filed lawsuits against the Town & County Police Force, for what they say was excessive use of force!"

Bettina continued: "The lawsuits were filed by Jay Swenson and Ken Eidex of the group 'Citizens for Police Accountability'. They are seeking class-action status, and they have named Commander Donald Troy and Captain Teresa Croyle as defendants, as well. They also filed a motion to have Commander Donald Troy and Captain Teresa Croyle suspended until a Board of Inquiry fully investigates the incidents. The Town & County Police have not responded to our requests for comment."

"That's because the lawsuits were filed at 4:59pm, obviously timed to get in just before the window closed." said Chief Sean Moynahan, who had just come into MCD. Teresa, Jermaine Davis, and I were the only other ones in the room at the moment as the Chief continued: "So any call they made to us could not have been acted upon by our Press Relations Officer, and today hasn't officially started yet."

"Yes sir." I said. "That's typical for the Press. There is no limit to how dirty they are. There is no dirty trick they won't permit themselves to do."

"Don't worry about being named in the lawsuits." said the Chief. "Both of you are indemnified as part of the Police Force, and I expect whichever judge that gets this case will rip Eidex and Swenson a new one."

"Yes sir." I said. "What bothers me is that they made a point to name Captain Croyle. Attacking you or me, Chief, is normal. Going after Croyle or Ross is not standard."

"What do you make of that, Mr. Crowbar?" asked the Chief.

"Makes me think they want to instill fear into Captain Croyle." I said. "Which obviously has never worked before, as her four Purple Orders attest." Teresa nodded vigorously in agreement.

"It's never worked on you either, Commander." said the Chief. "Soooo, Mr. Davis... how do you like MCD?"

"It's awesome, sir!" said Jermaine Davis. He was wearing plainclothes; a sportscoat and slacks, and a dark purple shirt. Not exactly up to Theo Washington's 'GQ' standards, but perfectly fine by me. "I appreciate getting this chance, Chief."

"Welllll, make sure you learn from this guy." said the Chief, pointing at me. He poured himself some coffee, then wandered down the hall towards Vice and the Duty Desk.

"Why do they want to intimidate me, sir?" asked Teresa.

"Because they intend to try something again." I said. "And they want to make you hesitate the next time you make a command decision. I say 'fuck 'em!' on that." Jermaine Davis chuckled at that as he sat down at his desk and logged into his computer. Teresa also gave what was for her a smile, then excused herself to her office. As Theo and Teddy Parker came in, I said hello to them and then headed for my own office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay, what's the scuttlebutt out there?" I asked as I sat in my comfortable command chair behind my desk in my office. The Three Mouseketeers were in my hot chairs, and Captain Cindy Ross was behind them on the sofa.

"Hey sizzle, what's the dwizzle?" Myron Milton said, pointing at his wife Mary. Cindy groaned out loud at the bad Snoop Dogg imitation. I just shook my head with profound sadness.

Mary's face was cheerful under her light purple hair, however. She said "No new money flows from CFPA, sir. Looks like they're going 'all in' on the legal fight against you, and not spreading money around to student groups."

"You still have a warrant to look into that stuff, right?" I asked, to make sure. "Based upon last week's riots?"

"Yes sir." said Mary. "But Paulina Patterson said it's getting some age on it, and with the new lawsuit filed we have to be careful that it doesn't look like intimidation by Police in retaliation for that lawsuit."

"That's actually true." I said. "Check with her, and get her legal opinion on continuing to investigate them." Mary made a note of it. "Okay, what else?"

David Krueger said "I've been checking for connections between Jeff Fuqua and politicians around here. Fuqua is still missing, and the trail on him is getting cold. So far we've found nothing that connects him to Thomas P. Cook, Kelly Carnes, Katherine Woodburn, or U.S. Congressman Condor. But I'm still digging, because Fuqua had money come in from small banks that we now know were fronts for Pastor Westboro."

Krueger continued: "Also, sir, I made some discreet inquiries to my friends in Midtown, as well, and they report no rumors of interest. The SBI bill remains deadlocked. They're working on the rest of the budget behind everyone's backs, for the day the SBI part gets settled, but have no expectation of that actually going to the floor any time soon."

"They don't know anything." I said. "Good." When David looked at me, I said "That means my own behind-the-scenes machinations have not been discovered yet. And that's how I'd like to keep it." Mary smiled brightly at that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hey sizzle, what's the dwizzle?" both Cindy and I said in unison as Lt. Wes 'Coldiron' Masters came into my office. He visibly started, taken aback. Cindy and I chuckled, then explained to him as I had him sit down. Cindy also moved up to a hot chair. 'Coldiron' just shook his head with profound sadness.

"So," I said, "any new scuttlebutt from Vice?"

"No sir." said Master, speaking rapidly and in a clipped tone as he usually did. "Talk about people being paid to be part of riots died down after the TCPD crushed the last rebellion, so to speak. The black community looked like they were going to get interested in all that, but then settled back down. And our C.I.s report no new major drug moves in or out of the County."

Coldiron continued: "The only thing I heard that seemed strange, Commander, is that the numbers of strippers and prostitutes serving our area has dropped off. Girls are quitting the strip joints, and one estimate is that 20% of that particular work force has left the County."

"Oh, now that *is* interesting." I said. "Working girls know what's going on; they whisper 'sweet nothings' into their client's ears, and hear 'real somethings' in return. If they're leaving..." I went into a reverie.

When I came out of it, I said "I'll make a note to check with sources all over the place, and see if this is a pattern. Okay, anything else?" I saw Cindy and Coldiron look at each other. "What?" I asked.

"Sir," said Cindy, "Wes came to me about something, and we talked about it and decided we need to talk to you. We both got letters from a Board of Inquiry at the Inspector General level. It claims they are investigating Captain Croyle and her role in suppressing the riots last week."

"What?!" I gasped. "Just who the fuck is doing this?"

"A Wayne LaCroix sent the letter." Cindy said, producing a copy for me to read. I felt my eyes getting wider as I read it.

"This is absolutely illegal." I said. "Telling you to talk with them is one thing. Telling you to not tell me nor the Chief, your superior officers, is borderline wrong... that should have to come from the Inspector General himself. But telling you to not contact your various Unions is absolutely wrong. You're entitled to a Union rep or a lawyer at any and all interviews of this nature."

"Yes sir." said Cindy. "That's what bothered both of us about it. Of course I don't like it that they're investigating Teresa for doing her job, either."

"And I don't like it that they tell us not to speak to you nor the Chief," said Masters, "but aren't saying it's about you or the Chief, only about Captain Croyle. That's not kosher in and of itself, sir."

"True." I said. After a moment of thought, I said "Are you guys willing to go with me to see the Chief right now?" They both said they were.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oh this is... baaaaaaddddd." said the Chief as we sat before him in his office. He must've read and re-read that letter five times before speaking. "Mister Crowbarrrr, who is this 'Wayne LaCroix'?"

"He's an attorney, Chief." I said. "Hired at the beginning of this year by the Board of Commissioners, who actually run the Boards of Inquiry in the County. The Boards of Inquiry used to begin with either Internal Affairs or the Inspector General's office looking into a matter, then bringing in lawyers, sort of like ADAs but not working for the D.A.'s Office. Now they're using these lawyers from the get-go, and this on is mighty strange in its own right."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

"LaCroix was a State Attorney in the Midtown area, but the new A.G. fired him just as soon as he, the new A.G., took office." I continued. "LaCroix is pretty incompetent, and may be a bad seed."

"Well, I'm not going to put up with this shit." said the Chief. "I'm going to the Sheriff and to Horace Wellman, the Inspector General, about this. In the meantime, I'm not ordering any of you to do this, but I think you all have the right to tell this LaCroix bastard that you won't talk to him, and certainly not without Union representation."

"Additionally, I am not telling you to do this, but it might be a very good idea for you to take these letters you got to your Union reps immediately, and have them raise holy hell on your behalves. You're paying Union dues, and by God! you ought to get your money's worth when you need them! Okay, you guys go to work, and I'll start looking into this."

We got out of the office as the Chief began doing his job...

Part 3 - Crime Scene in Velvet

At 10:00am I got a call from Lt. Molly Ross Evans of the Nextdoor County Police. "Don, this is official business." she said. "We have a double murder here, and we'd like for you and Captain Ross to come over as SBI Reservists. This thing is right up your alley."

I said I would, then hung up, went and told the Chief, then went and collected Cindy. As we drove in my Police SUV, SBI Director Tom Conlan called on the Police cellphone and verified that we'd been asked to assist the NCPD in their investigation.

When we crossed the County line, I pulled over and we logged in as SBI Reservists. "Okay, Inspector," Cindy said as we got back on the road, "any idea what this is about?"

"Only that it's a double murder, and that Molly thought it would interest me." I said. "And I doubt she'd call us in like that if it wasn't something strange."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The murder scene was just southwest of the town of Hillside, the seat of Nextdoor County. The weather was overcast but not raining as we drove up to where several police cars already were, as well as an ambulance.

"Inspector! Captain!" called out Molly. "Over here." We walked over.

"This is Lt. Paul Price, our Lieutenant for what you would call 'major crimes'." said Molly. John Paul Price, called 'Paul', was short with black hair, a squarish face behind glasses, and a body that was fit but seemed to be the same girth from his chest down to his abdomen instead of tapering. His face looked like a cross between David Krueger and Daniel Allgood, as well."

"Good to see you again, Commander." said Lt. Price, whom I'd met before. "This is Detective German. We just brought him on. And you know our Chief." I shook hands with them and introduced Cindy to them. German was young, short, slender, with light brown hair. He looked back and forth between Cindy and Molly several times, which gave me hopes that he was competent.

"So, what do we have here?" I asked.

"Something strange, sir." said German. I went over to where the two bodies were. One of them was a very attractive black-haired white woman that looked to be in her early thirties. The other was of a youthful man, white, looking like he was in his late teens, slender build but fit.

They were both naked, and the boy's penis was still elongated, and if there was anything I'd learned from Tanya Perlman, that meant he'd died while having sex or just afterwards. And his cock was big, too.

"Her name is Lenora Holmes." said Lt. Price. "She is... er, was... a teacher at Walnut Prep. English and Literature. We haven't identified the boy yet."

Walnut Preparatory School, a.k.a. "Walnut Prep", was a private school that was actually in my County, with classes from grades 1 to 12. It was run by John and Claire Meadows, who Laura and I knew as fellow members of the Libertines swingers group. Claire was a beautiful woman, also in her 30s, with pale white skin and black hair, and it was rumored that she not only prepared the young men of Walnut Prep academically, but made them into masters of sexual pleasure with plenty of 'hands-on' teaching.

I had sampled Claire's sexual charms on two occasions, fucking her deeply and enjoying the feel of her lovely legs wrapped around me as I came in her. Her mouth was also excellent; she gave very good blowjobs, and I found out that Laura had given her 'lessons' on good fellatio technique. Alas, I digress...

For a very long time, Walnut Prep had an arrangement with County High School so that County High's best students could take classes such as Calculus at Walnut Prep, and the Walnut Prep boys could play football and other sports on the County High teams. That ended when County High and Booker T. Washington High had their massive feud last autumn, and the near-riot game. BTW High made a formal complaint to the State Education Board and the State High School Sports Association, and County High was forced to dissolve the relationship with Walnut Prep.

"I've got people checking to see if this kid was a Walnut Prep student." said Detective German.

"Who found the bodies?" I asked. "Who called it in?"

Lt. Price said "The 9-1-1 dispatcher called us. We'll have to get the information on who called them."

"That could be really big information." I said, then knelt down by the medical examiner. "Hi, Martha. Whaddya got? I asked.

The medical examiner was none other than my own Martha the M.E., on loan to Nextdoor County per our contract with them. Christina Cho was with her, collecting evidence in duplicate bags where possible, with only one set going to the State Crime Lab.

"As Lieutenant Perlman would tell you, Commander," Martha said, "this boy was having sex or had just had sex when he was murdered. Cause of death was a knife of some kind being stabbed into the back of his neck and slicing his upper spinal cord just beneath the cerebellum."

"Hell, I hope the killer at least had the kindness to let the boy get his nut before killing him." I said.

"Oh, he or she did, Commander." said Martha, completely unfazed. "We've taken semen samples from the woman. There are abrasions in the vagina that suggest she was raped, as well."

"Maybe the perp killed this boy while he was having sex with her, then raped her himself." said Cindy. Molly nodded in agreement.

"How was she killed, Martha?" I asked.

"Throat slit from the front." said Martha. "And the angle of the wound, as you can see here, Commander, suggests the perp was lying on top of her when he did it. Excuse me for presuming it's a man, but I'm thinking he killed the boy, mounted and raped this woman himself, then slit her throat. Obviously tests and the autopsies will confirm or deny my hypotheses."

"No doubt." I said. "Times of deaths?"

"Eight to twelve hours ago." Martha said. "Sometime last night. Right about the same time as each other; she was not kept alive much longer than he was."

"Okay, thanks Martha." I said. "And whatever you send to the NCPD, send me a copy, okay?" Martha agreed to do that.

I got up and began looking around the area surrounding the bodies. "Commander," said Lt. Price, "my officers made these observations, and I wrote down my own, also." I read the reports, which stated that no tire prints had been observed, and only very faint shoe prints. There were no personal belongings at all, and no cellphones.

"What's that they're wrapped in?" I asked. I'd noticed the black cloth upon which they were lying.

"It's velvet, sir." said Christina Cho.

"Black velvet, if you please." I sang softly to Cindy and Molly, quoting the Alannah Myles tune.

"Any ideas, Commander?" asked the Nextdoor County Police Chief, who was a good friend of Chief Griswold.

"Nothing obvious right now." I said. "I think Martha and Captain Ross were probably right. In addition, I think maybe this boy was forced to have sexual intercourse with Ms. Lenora Holmes then was killed, and the perp then raped her and killed her when he was finished."

As the crime scene was wrapped up, Molly asked Cindy and me to come back to her Headquarters, where we could use computer hookups in her office. We availed ourselves of her hospitality.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Cindy and Molly talked about the letter Cindy had gotten from the Board of Inquiry about Teresa, I was on my Police laptop. It was not long before I identified the young man by accessing DMV records as well as a Walnut Prep student list obtainable only through Law Enforcement means, and I called in Lt. Price and Detective German.

"Rob Dortmund." I said. "Son of Robert and Dorothy Dortmund of Hillside. Eighteen years old, Senior at Nextdoor County High School, played varsity baseball, taking a couple of classes at Walnut Prep. Not sure why he's playing varsity baseball for NCHS after the State brought the hammer down on our County High."