Black Widow

Story Info
She's pulled his strings for too long.
966 words
3.97
13k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

So, it had come to this. The Countess gazed down her fair face, staring haughtily at the young man in front of her. Her months of planning and manipulation of the poor boy had finally cracked his iron will. Pity, she had hoped to get another fortnight's use out of him.

"Why have you come to my chambers at this late hour Julian? I have not summoned you. I am weary, whatever is in your mind we may discuss on the morrow like civilized people."

"This cannot wait Countess. You have used me for the last time. I shall no longer do those things of which you ask me. You will not have me as a pawn any longer. I loved you; I still love you, with all of my being. But I know you for a conniving temptress now, I know you for who you are; A cold, heartless wench, who twists men to do her bidding."

She smiled inwardly, a little surprised that this mere sprig of a man had pinned her so exactly, while men twice his age had never questioned, much less fathomed her methods in controlling them. Oh, they all figured out she was controlling them; sooner or later the idea took root in their feeble minds. They were all just too weak to even consider fighting her powers or figuring out from whence they came.

The Countess was what some would call a black widow, but never to her face, and rarely out loud. She spun her web of spies into and around everyone at court, and those who even whispered in dark corners about her, tended to disappear down an oubliette before the next moonrise. Such was the extent of her web of power that whenever the Countess would speak, even the King himself would listen.

"I bedded women, through force or lies; I dueled and killed men far greater than I, and all for a single sentence from you. All I wanted was to hear you say you loved me, to hear you say that all the affection I gave you was returned in kind. But it was never to be. You, you cruel sadistic harpy, you have made me soil my honor, destroy my reputation, you have even taken all my worldly possessions as your own, leaving me nothing but an empty shell. I am but a specter of the man I once was, a twisted shadow."

"I never told you to do all those things, you took it upon yourself young Julian. We both know that. That you might have eliminated some of my rivals or potential adversaries in the court, well, that is naught but a happy coincidence. That I failed to return all the kindnesses you showered me with, your extravagant wealth, your many and sundry lands and titles, well, those are merely the stakes you wagered in the wooing of me. That you mistook a sentence or conversation you and I shared for my interest and maybe even amorous affection for you, well, shame on you. You can't really blame ME for courteously accepting your gifts? To refuse them would surely have sullied you."

The young man groaned deep in his chest, feeling again all the pains he had caused, both to himself and to his victims. "Even now you smile at me with that self same smile you demon! I come to you with the blood of your husband on my knife, his last words ringing in my ears! You know what he said as his sword dropped from his lifeless fingers? He thanked me, THANKED ME! For sending him to judgment, all so he could be free of you, you and your honeyed tongue, you who use deceit to get others to do your foul deeds. If I could, I would take all the blackness on my soul and give it to you, it is to you it should have gone! I accept my damnation, as it was my blade that did those horrible deeds, my body which ravaged that poor girl... But you should not be given free passage through heaven's gates, you, who's words have spurred more than just I to do things blacker than the reaper's cloak!"

At this final expulsion from Julian, the Countess clucked her tongue somewhat playfully, saying aloud, "Oh dear boy, though you may be two and twenty years old, you still have much to learn in this world. I am only as powerful as you let me be, but as you are a man, all your strength is in you arm, and none is in your head. Thus am I so able to control you, for while my body is fragile, my mind is strong."

"Aye, your mind is strong, far stronger than mine, I admit. But you will no longer control my arms. I will be free of thee, oh cursed woman!" With this, Julian leapt from the floor, drawing his still bloodied dagger which had just claimed the Count of Edinborough, and drove the dripping blade deep, deep within the Countess's cold blackened heart. Her final thought in this world, before her soul spiraled down into the deepest reaches of Hades, was that she had miscalculated the man called Julian.

Julian sat and wept, cradling the now lifeless body of the Countess, holding her as his eyes bathed her in the tears of his sorrow and grief. For even now, after her web of lies and deceit had been revealed to him, he still loved her with his entire being. Slowly he withdrew the fatal poignard from the fair breast of the woman, and kneeling in front of the still warm corpse, he whispered, "Heaven forgive me," and drove the blade into his own chest, stopping his own misguided heart.