Blazing Success

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Blaze told Steve in bed the next night about her appointment. She usually stayed with him overnight on Fridays.

He attacked a nipple with his tongue and then looked up.

"Does that mean we're finished?"

"Not as far as I'm concerned. Accountants are supposed to be boring but you are anything but boring and you are great at sex."

Steve beamed and worked at delivering his best shot.

On Monday Blaze attended her first meeting of the executive group now called the New Mag Steering Group. She didn't have an office. The receptionist on that floor showed her to an interview room that contained a desk and two chairs, a laptop and a printer. It had no windows. Blaze had sat there scowling waiting for 9:30 to go to the meeting room.

She arrived to find the five men and two women upset, discussing why had the name of the magazine changed. Blaze looked at the wall behind where the meeting chairman would sit and saw a big sign had been posted: 'The new mag will be called FOREVER YOUNG providing we can register it as a mag title. Fergus.'

"Why changed a perfectly good title," a guy bleated.

"Because the suggest name was crap," Blaze said. "Unbelievably patronizing."

The seven people swung around to look at her.

"Oh," said Gavin, a cost accountant who would chair the meeting and had been introduced to Blaze on Friday. "This is Blaze Gallagher, who was contracted on Friday to be editor of er 'Forever Young' for three years."

"Omigod," groaned a white-headed guy.

Other guys had their mouths opened but the two women more or less smirked.

"Come and sit beside me Blaze," said one of the women. "I'm Christie Young, head of corporate IT. I graduated in graphic design and will be in charge of the design of your magazine website in consultation with you."

Blaze knew the guys were looking at her body instead of wondering why she'd been chosen as editor, but then that's how men were especially if they were blonde.

"Do you want me to strip and get it over with?" she challenged and Gavin said, "Steady on Blaze, you are young and very good looking. Older men take a little time to adjust. This name..."

"Don't waste breath Gavin," she smiled. "It's non negotiable."

"How can you say that?" asked a guy in a wrinkled suit.

"Because the planning phase is over and today we commence the implementation phase. If you are not sharp enough to understand that I question whether you should be here."

There was silence and the guy mumbled he understood.

Gavin said, "Blaze you should know Harry Bennett is general manager of supplies. He's an integral part of this team and will become increasingly important to you as implementation proceeds."

"Hi Harry. You have witnesses my first blunder and there will be more but outnumbered by my successes. I now know I'll have to reply on your ability to deliver what I'll need but we both need to remember we see things differently."

Gavin then introduced everyone else and the older woman, Carol Anderson, deputy-manager of HR asked, "How old are you dear?"

"Twenty-one. I guess that's young enough to be editor of a magazine pitched to young people."

"Oh I hadn't rationalized quite like that. I apologize."

"No you are entitled to know everything about me. You'll be interested to know I only have an associate degree in journalism."

No one commented or appeared interested.

"Well everyone," Gavin said, "let's get underway. You will be interested to know that there is no room in this building for your new division er Blaze."

"Then do your job and make room for me and my operation Gavin."

He looked alarmed and everyone had swung back from looking at fiery Blaze to eye the besieged Gavin. He bleated there was nothing he could do. The building was full and the first two levels were leased out for very high rentals.

"Then either have management find a bigger building or move out stores from the third floor."

"But that will be inefficient."

"I don't see why you would think that Gavin. It's inefficient bringing up bulk stores from street level when if we had ground level storage in a building nearby the delivery trucks could be unloaded in a fraction of the time. What do you think Harry?"

"Hmm. Emotionally we feel part of the corporation being where we are but what you say makes sense logistically speaking. We suffer from weight restrictions on the third floor and so have had to lease outside storage space. This to be the chance to integrate stores in the one site."

Gavin moved decisively, "Right I'll put the case to the CEO and urge a prompt study. You best be with me when I make the presentation Harry."

"Thank you Gavin," Blaze said. "That was very prompt execution."

He nodded and smiled.

"Right we have planned a 128-page magazine and need to set the ceiling on staff. Fergus has ruled the magazine must be self-sufficient to the point of sending off print-ready pages electronically."

"I require an establishment of twenty-six including me, with two of those being temporary advertising salespeople who'll drop off when we have established a core of regular advertisers."

"How do you know that is a sufficient number of people with the right balance?"

"I worked on it all Saturday Gavin, the day after I signed my contract. I consulted with three editors in our group. It was agreed Forever Young will have to be big on style and heavy on illustrations because today's young collect detail from images rather than words. For example a young female doesn't need to be told this is a scarlet dress with an elasticized bust line and straps. She is intelligent enough to see that. She wants to know what she can't see, the type of cotton and weight, size range, indicative price and availability."

"She's right Gavin," said Christie. "Let us set the parameters for costing and leave it to the managing editor to work out the detail to provide the resources necessary to help her launch her new magazine."

"Our magazine," said Philip, from Production.

"My magazine," Blaze said firmly.

Philip grinned and said he thought she'd say that. "I'm becoming more confident about you by the minute."

Carol said, "Hear, hear" and Gavin said, "Right moving on..."

The team had a working lunch and at 4:00 Gavin adjourned the meeting until 9:30 next morning.

"I'm very happy," he said. "We have made real progress today and I think we should have cleaned up everything by Thursday at this rate. Welcome to the team Blaze and I must say you are providing to be a real asset to us."

"Thanks and I'm not being rude when I say this, on this project guys think young."

As they were leaving the room Blaze called, "Oh Christie, might we talk design for a moment?"

They sat down and Blaze pulled out a magazine 'dummy' of proposed magazine layout in sections.

"God how could you have known 128 pages was the target for the first issue?"

"I didn't. I spent most of Sunday working out the first sixty pages and the last sixty pages. What goes between those two sections to make up the size of the required book can be done later. I'm giving you this to start thinking with your team on design. You guys are the experts. All I ask is for a crisp, modern look with good balance of white. I hate cramped-looking layouts in some of the magazines I read."

"Pleasant on the eye and ease in readability?"

"Exactly. Oh thanks darling."

"Do you know me well enough yet to call me darling?" Christie smiled. "I could be really crabby."

"It's a risk I'm prepared to take. Early today I felt the unease all around me. Then you befriended me, asking me to sit beside you. My impression is that atmosphere of unease began to wind down from that point."

"It was my pleasure and I was quite excited to find you were prepared to be tough. So many females in this company are like pussy cats."

CHAPTER 2

Late Friday night as Steve and Blaze pulled away from each other, sweating and replete, he said, "Um I've been telling mom about you. Because I'm twenty-seven she thinks I'm too old for you."

"I bet she said I was too young for you?"

"Er yes actually she did."

"Am I?"

"Not the way you converse and fuck."

"Oooh what more could a guy want?"

"Um seriously she would like to meet you and I said I'd see what I can do. It's a four and a half hour drive to the ranch but we have been invited to stay the night."

"I see, so mommy will prepare the nursery?"

"Blaze be fair. I have younger sisters but I'm the only boy and mothers are entitled to worry."

"Yeah I'm sorry. I won't tease her like I do you."

"Actually I think she'll be blown away by your manner. Your are so upfront and, well, tough and pretty too."

"Oh darling, that will get you plenty. What would you like?"

"Um can I tell you about mom to get it off my chest. She probably thinks you are only interested in me for the sex. She said as much."

"Well aren't I?"

"Blaze!"

"Ooops. I'll talk to her about the galleries we've visited and the other things we do together and drop bits to indicate I'm aware of your interests and who your principal clients are and that she's only forty-two, eight years younger than your dad and your sisters are Brenda aged eighteen who is mad about equestrian competition and intends to become a school teacher and Arlene is twenty and is studying to be a nurse except I won't tell your mom I know how old she is and how much older than her is your dad."

"Um yes, that would be very wise. I take it we'll go in the morning?"

"Yes I'd like that."

* * *

The Rush family could see the dust trail as Steve drove in off the highway and up the unsealed track to the ranch house in his black V8-powered Buick LaCrosse Super. When they arrived the family was lined up to greet them.

"Hi Steve," shouted on of his sisters and he called hi but before he could get to the passenger door Blaze was out and calling, "Hi guys, what a great looking bunch of people."

She went to the rear door and pulled out a magnificent sheaf of flowers.

"Now which one of you is Rene? You girls all look much the same to me."

"I'm Rene," Steve's mom said laughing, coming forward to take the flowers. "Omigod, these are magnificent."

"Well Steve said you thought I would be too sexy for him and that I needed to butter you up."

"Steve said that?"

"Mom she's winding you up."

"Rene I have a mom too and she had me living at home until I was eighteen and survived my unsettling behavior. I am considered harmless."

Blade called, "Brenda?"

"Hi dear, oh aren't you a sweetie," Blaze said, kissing the 18-year old. "Here's a DVD on the history of the horse. According to your brother you don't have it."

"Omigod, Omigod," Brenda cried, looking at the cover of the DVD excitedly.

Blaze called, "Arlene?"

"Oh hi sweetheart," Blaze said kissing her. "According to your brother you are always leaving things behind when you date so here's a bra and panty set."

Arlene was a bit embarrassed but when she looked at the lingerie she shouted, "Omigod, they're top-shelf French."

"Yes dear and fortunately for me I got them at a sale."

"Now where's the man of the house?"

"Here," said Larry kissing Blaze. "Oh are you going to liven up things around here."

"Well this is something to keep you quiet while Rene puts me through the grill. I've been told Bourbon is your drink?"

"Omigod, it's 12-year single barrel premium. Aren't you just such a sweetheart," Larry said, kissing her again.

"Rene back here please," Blaze said digging into her bag. "The flowers will be shared by the house; this is for you," Blaze said, handing across a bottle of perfume, Donna Karan Cashmere Mist.

"Oooh, this is so lovely and so generous of you."

Blaze whispered, "The truth is Steve made me go top shelf and he paid half."

"Oh how delightful. I'll thank him later. Are you saying you and Steve shop together?"

"Oh yes, most Saturday mornings in fact after eating breakfast out. I suppose he hasn't told you much about us?"

"No like his father he keeps much that is real personal news close to his chest."

"Brace yourself Rene," Blaze said and paused briefly. "Your son and I have sex."

"I rather gathered that," Rene whispered. "I hope he's very gentle with you?"

"Oooh yes. He has wonderfully soft hands."

"Omigod," Rene said, suddenly looking hot and flushed.

As they all walked inside and Larry offered everyone Bourbon and everyone declined with thanks, Steve asked, "Where are you putting us mom?"

"Oh Blaze is in the guestroom and..."

She saw the way her son's face dropped. "And you are there too or your old room."

"The guestroom sounds fine. Thanks mom."

"God that's a first for us," Brenda said. "The influence of Blaze is dragging mom into the 21st Century."

The girls giggled and Blaze said firmly, "Are you meaning to embarrass your mother?"

"No sorry mom," Brenda said, "but it is a historic point in the history of this family."

Rene said, "It's all right. When the men are out of earshot I'm expecting Blaze to tell us what she and Steve do when she stays over at his apartment."

Larry spluttered over his Bourbon and Blaze shrieked with laughter, sending off the two girls as well.

"I was teasing Blaze," Rene said. "Oh am I going to remember this day. Your arrival Blaze has probably had the most impact at this home since I arrived home early from the hospital by cab with 12-hour old Brenda after signing myself out. My parents were staying with us and I caught everyone hugely by surprise, particularly my husband who was in the kitchen with two of his pals drinking Bourbon. They had the phone off the hook because friends calling about Brenda and me were annoying them."

They have a great weekend and received a noisy farewell. On the drive back to Chicago, Steve said, "Mom loves you and wants me to marry you."

"Yeah well mothers get like that Steve. Don't let her rush you. Your focus at present needs to be on building your career."

"Right. Would you say yes if it were timely to ask?"

"I might consider saying yes."

He waited for elaboration but none was forthcoming. Blaze was thinking she too had to build her career. She might not be ready to marry until she was thirty or around that age. Would Steve still be around in nine years or so? She thought that would be unlikely unless they moved in together. In that case why would they marry? Perhaps in time she'd see the bigger picture.

* * *

Blaze was eating with Rachel and her family twice a week and she lunched twice a week with Rachel who was helping Blaze to prepare to become an editor. There was much to learn and they acted out roles. Blaze was amazed that Rachel would give her so much attention but when she mentioned that Rachel had said, "Good gracious young woman what I'm doing is infinitesimal to what you have done for our family in pulling Pru out of a life of deepening misery. None of us, least of all Pru, can believe the remarkable improvement in her health and attitude. She is now a delight to live with."

That gratitude almost overwhelmed Blaze. She and Pru and become very friendly and Blaze decided to work on developing an even closer friendship with Rachel.

Meanwhile the executive meetings had concluded and Blaze was working to a timetable and reporting to group editor Fergus Hamill. Fergus announced to the media that the corporation was preparing to launch a new magazine aimed exclusively at young people without giving away many details such as saying it would be aimed at the eighteen to twenty-eight age group.

Fergus then took Blaze to the next Tuesday morning editors' meeting and introduced her as editor of the new magazine and described the profile of the new magazine in detail. But editors being editors had already gouged out information, knowing something was afoot and hoping it would not be detrimental to of their own publications and so nothing much Fergus said was new to them. They were also aware the new magazine would be in the hands of a shock promotion, giving the helm to a new-start writer who was only a kid.

Their chief finished by saying Blaze was already employed as an editor and would attend all editors' meetings in future. When the meeting ended several of the editors gathered around Blaze to grill her and she was pleased about that. They all seemed to accept that a magazine for the young should have a young editor.

Working to the timetable set by the executive meetings she'd attended, Blaze began working with Carol Anderson, deputy-manager of HR (human resources), to recruit staff. It was corporate policy to also advertise vacancies of new positions internally and Blaze was a little worried she might receive a backlash from other editors if their staff crossed to work on the new publication.

"Don't worry about it," Carol advised. "They may get grumpy but know there's nothing they can do about it and besides, they themselves may well have benefited from internal staff crossing in the past."

Rachel had already explained to Blaze that the HR department would place the adverts and process applications by checking references and claimed qualifications. The list of all applicants would be then handed to the editor and graded simply as a guide by the HR person handling the files. Rachel made her own choices but she suggested because of Blaze's lack of experience in recruitment, Blaze should ask Carol to join her to conduct the interviews. Carol was trained in assessment of personal and had an MBA with concentration on human resources and a diploma in psychology.

When Rachel had sighed and said there were lots of misfits around applying for jobs and posing as well-qualified and well-adjusted people, Blaze also had sighed, realizing she was still very naïve. She'd had the impression only good people who knew they were well suited for the vacancy would apply for it.

For the first she doubted she was suitably qualified to be an editor and especially editor of a new magazine. Oh god why had she accepted the crazy offer? But a couple of things happened to allow her to kick up a gear and she left that moment of grave doubt behind her.

Danny called to ask if he could stay with her on Friday and Saturday nights. She could show him around Chicago and he'd like to have a couple of beers with her boyfriend.

The excited Blaze said yes that was fine, she'd moved into a larger and modern studio apartment that had a sofa that converted into a comfortable bed.

"You told me you sleep most Friday nights with Steve?"

"Well you know how it is Danny, sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't. Anyway you have a clever sister. This week I will stay with Steve on Thursday."

"Ah good thinking. Um is he good in bed?"

"Is that something you should be asking me?"

"Yes."

Blaze giggled and said well in her limited experience Steve was the very best.

"Great you should stick with him. At college I find the babes are so flighty and half of them don't really know what they want."

"Think of it this way Danny. Those female freshmen are in limbo between teenager and adult and are feeling their way. That transition is not something we attend lectures to learn about. Also they don't have to have brains to figure out they are living in a little window of opportunity in their lives when they can nail as many guys as they want and being college girls that's almost expected of them. You should accept if you want a female with a more mature outlook you must go for an older female."

"You mean my female tutors?"

"Well I suppose that would be an option but you are good looking enough to catch the eye of even a senior who is not big-headed about her college status."

"Gee Blaze they don't even talk to guys like me."

"They might if you involve yourself in mixed group activities such as the photography club or hiking club."

"Yuck that stuff is not for me."