Blessed are the Meek

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,927 Followers

"Yes, it is," she smiled, "I'll be down in the lobby to meet you two when you get there, and we'll go to my office from there, okay?"

"Good enough, Ms. Hamilton," Mason respectfully replied, "We look forward to it," and then he hung the phone up.

~~~~~~

THAT EVENING

Mason and Heather were sitting together at their kitchen table talking right after they'd finished doing the supper dishes, when Heather looked at him and dreadfully said, "I don't know about you, baby, but I'm afraid."

"Why are you afraid, sweetheart?" he asked, gently taking her hand, "There's no reason to be."

"Biff and Tad are going to be in court," she said, "And I'm scared that something might happen."

"Aw, come on now, baby," he gently soothed her, tenderly taking her into his arms, "Don't you know by now that I'm not about to let anything happen to you?"

"I know that," she sweetly grinned, "I just don't want to have to look at those two assholes in court, that's all."

"I don't blame you," Mason softly replied, "But you know that the law says that the defendants have the right to stand before their accusers, right?"

"Of course I do," she replied, "I just don't want to ever look at those two creeps again."

"Don't worry about it," he reassured her, "It's not going to be as bad as you think, my love; and I'm going to be right there beside you, okay baby?"

"Okay," she smiled, hugging him and tenderly kissing his lips,, "I love you, Mason."

"Mmm, I know you do," he smiled, returning the kiss, "And I love you, too."

~~~~~~

THE FOLLOWING MORNING

TRAVIS COUNTY COURTHOUSE

AUSTIN, TEXAS

9:00 AM

"Good morning, Mister Markinson, Miss Winters," Assistant District Attorney Jane Hamilton smiled, as she greeted Mason and Heather in the lobby of the Travis County Courthouse, "I'm glad that you two could come. Would you follow me to my office please?"

"We'd be happy to," Mason politely replied, "If you'll lead the way, please."

~~~~~~

"Thank you again for coming," Miss Hamilton told them, once they were seated in her office, "And I want you to call my by my first name, Jane. Do you mind if I call you by your first names? It makes for a more comfortable working atmosphere for me."

"Of course, Jane, that's also my mother's name so; it'll be easier to remember," Mason charmingly grinned, "Plus, Mister Markinson was my father. My name is Mason, and this is my fiancée, Heather."

"Perfect," Jane smiled, "We need to go over a few things and iron out any problems before the trial of Biff Howard and Tad Cummings starts next week."

"What problems," Mason asked, "They tried to rape my girlfriend, and then they attacked me when I tried to stop them."

"They've hired a very well known defense attorney," Jane said, "His name is Terrance Redmond, and he's never lost a case."

"Maybe not," Mason assuredly told her, "But he's going to lose this one."

"I'm warning you, Mason," Jane forebodingly replied, "This guy is no idiot. Not only will he try to make you look like a brawling monster, but he'll also try to make Heather look like a tramp in front of the jury."

"Let him try," Mason said, "The difference between him and us is that we've got the truth on our side; and like my grandfather says, the truth will set you free when the rest of the world is on fire. Besides; we've got several witnesses who're all willing to testify in our behalf."

"That's the thing," she regrettably told them, "Only three of them are willing to come forth to testify."

"Are you kidding me?" Mason incredulously asked, "There were more than thirty people who saw what happened that day."

"It doesn't matter," Jane said, "The jury is going to believe what they believe is the truth, and James Redmond has been known to discredit every witness that he's ever questioned in open court."

"I don't care," Mason angrily replied, "We did nothing wrong, and that's that..."

~~~~~~

Chapter Four

There were only two days left until the trail began, and because Jane had supplied Mason with a copy of the police report, which included the names and addresses of every witness who'd given their statements to the police that day; Mason had spent the past week and a half going door-to-door, begging those same people to come forward and testify in his and Heather's behalf. But no matter how polite he'd been when asking for their help, they'd basically slammed the door in his face every time.

"I've done everything I know to do," Mason sadly told Heather that evening, "What's wrong with these people? They're going to let these animals go free by not testifying," and then his eyes filled with tears of anguish, making him shake his head in shame, as he told her, "I'm sorry, baby. I did the best I could, I swear I did."

"It's going to be okay, Mason," Heather sniffled, "I still love you anyway, baby, and that's never going to change. Do you hear me?"

"NO, it's not," Mason replied, suddenly becoming angry, "Those two assholes are going to be set free; and then they'll come looking for payback, and I'll end up going to prison, because, I'll kill them, as God as my witness, I swear I will."

"Easy baby," Heather softly said, gently pulling him into her arms, "You're not going to do anything of the kind, Mason...you're not like those two guys, and you know you're not."

~~~~~~

TRAVIS COUNTY COURTHOUSE

AUSTIN, TEXAS

TWO DAYS LATER

10:00 AM

After the defendants had entered their pleas of not guilty, opening statements were heard from both the defense and the prosecution. The first two witnesses that were called to testify by the prosecution were the responding Police Officers, Sergeant David Parron, and Officer Thomas Glades took the stand and gave their statements.

When Jane individually questioned the two Policemen, she was brief, concise, and to the point. However, when the defense attorney, Mr. Terrance Redmond, began his questioning, both times he tried to twist their testimonies around to discredit them, and both times he received a warning from the Judge for it after the second time; telling him that he would be found in contempt of court if he did it again.

"I apologize, Your Honor," Redmond respectfully replied, "It won't happen again."

"It better not," Judge William Anderson growled, "Or else you'll find yourself in jail. Do you understand me, Mister Redmond?"

"Yes, Your Honor," Redmond replied, "My apologies to the court, sir."

"Accepted," Anderson glared, "Now sit down and shut up until the prosecution calls its next witness."

Jane stood and announced, "The prosecution calls Miss Heather Winters to the stand, and then she turned and smiled at Heather and said, "Miss Winters?"

Heather took the stand, was sworn in, and once she took her seat, Jane began her questioning.

"Miss Winters," Jane said, "Would you tell us, in your own words, what happened on the afternoon of July, Thirteenth, Nineteen-Eighty-Five?"

"Yes, ma'am," Heather began, "My finance and I were at Lake Travis laying out in the sun, and minding our own business, when I got thirsty. I went to our vehicle to get a small cooler full of soft drinks that we'd put there before we left from home. I hadn't been there for more than a minute or two, when the two guys who were drunk approached me and started using suggestive filthy language."

"Are they in the courtroom today, Miss Winters?" Jane asked, "And if so, would you point them out, please?"

"Yes. Ma'am," Heather replied, "They're sitting right over there," and then she pointed her finger at Biff Howard, who had his right arm in a cast, with a sling holding it close to his shoulder; and also Tad Cummings, both of whom were seated next to Terrance Redmond at the defendants table.

"I ask that you please let the record show, Your Honor," Jane announced, "That Miss Winters recognized the two defendants Biff Howard and Tad Cummings as her assailants."

"The record will show that Miss Winters recognized the defendants as her assailants," Judge Anderson replied, "Please continue Ms. Hamilton."

"Alright, Miss Winters," Jane continued, "What happened after that?"

"I politely asked them to please leave me alone, but they wouldn't, Biff Howard tried to put his arm around me but I pushed him away so; he reached over and ripped my bathing suit top off of me. When that happened, I screamed for my fiancée, as Biff Howard laughed and said, "Come on, baby, all we wanna do is suck on those hot ass tits of yours". When my fiancée got there, he threw me a sweatshirt that was inside our truck, and then he politely asked Biff Howard and Tad Cummings to leave me alone and..."

"Objection, Your Honor," Redmond interrupted her, "That's hearsay and..."

"That is not hearsay, Mister Redmond," Heather growled at him, "And don't you dare call me a liar, because it actually happened. Besides, everybody knows that all defense attorneys do is lie for a living so; you don't have the right to say anything to me until it's your turn."

"Please, Your Honor," Redmond said, "The witness is way out of line."

"I believe you heard what the lady said, Mister Redmond," Judge Anderson laughed, giving Heather a wink of approval. Then he looked back at Redmond and growled, "Objection overruled."

When Jane finished questioning Heather, it was Redmond's turn to cross-examine her, and in doing so, he told her, "Good morning, Miss Winters. How are you this morning?"

"You don't really care about how I'm doing, Mister Redmond," she defensively replied, "So; why are you even asking me?"

"Your Honor," Redmond told the judge, "Please instruct the witness to answer the questions she's asked."

"I believe she just did, "Judge Anderson laughed, "It's not my fault that you tried to call her a liar...next question, Mister Redmond."

"Alright then," Redmond replied, clearly upset with the way things were going, "Would you please tell us what happened on the day in question, Miss Winters?"

"She already did that too, counselor," Judge Anderson intervened, "Are you going to ask this witness anything pertinent to this case?"

"What kind of bathing suit were you wearing on the day in question, Miss Winters?" Redmond asked.

"I was wearing my new bikini," Heather replied.

"I see," Redmond said, "And would you say that it's provocative in its design?"

"No, it's not," Heather replied, "It was just a normal bikini until your two clients ripped the top to shreds when they were tried to sexually assault me."

"Your Honor," Redmond objected, "The witness is making accusations with no proof."

"You want proof?" Heather heatedly asked, pulling her shredded bikini top from her side dress pocket and then throwing it into Redmond's face, "There's your proof, you imbecile," causing not only did the jury to hysterically laugh, but also Jane, and Mason, as well as the rest of the people in the courtroom.

"ORDER IN THE COURT," Judge Anderson loudly replied, banging his gavel with a smile on his face.

"Your Honor," Redmond objected again, pulling the clearly torn garment off of his face, "Please instruct the witness about the proper procedure in the courtroom."

"He's right this time," Judge Anderson gently replied, "Please don't use that kind of language in the courtroom."

"I apologize, Your Honor," Heather quietly replied, "He just made me so mad."

"I can understand that, Miss Winters," Judge Anderson grinned, "He has that effect on a lot of people," the he turned to Redmond and instructed him to bring the item of clothing to the bench, and as he did, Jane also approached the bench to examine it for the sake of the prosecution.

"Your Honor," Jane immediately said, "With your permission, I'd like to enter this piece of evidence into the court and label it Exhibit A".

"Permission granted"," the Judge replied, "Next question, Mister Redmond."

Redmond then glared at his clients and defeatedly replied. "I have no more questions, Your Honor."

"That will be all, Miss Winters," Judge Anderson kindly replied smiling, "You may step down now."

"Thank you, Your Honor," Heather sweetly replied; however, as she stepped down from the witness stand, the glare that she gave Terrance Redmond, and the two animals he was representing made their blood suddenly run cold, almost as it someone had stepped across their graves.

Then Judge Anderson looked at his watch and announced, "This court is in recess until One O'clock," and then stood.

"ALL RISE," the bailiff announced, as Judge Anderson left the courtroom.

"Holy Moses," Jane excitedly told Heather, "I think you missed your calling, young lady. You would make one hell of an attorney. You've got Terrance Redmond sweating bullets, girl."

"I don't trust him one bit," Heather quietly replied, then she leaned over and hugged Mason as she quietly told him, "Be careful, baby; he's gonna come after you next."

"Let him come," Mason softly, yet defensively growled, "I'm not afraid of that piece of shit...not one bit."

~~~~~~

While the court was in recess, Heather and Mason decided to have lunch at a quaint Italian restaurant, called Pataglia's, which was located about two blocks north of the courthouse. Per Heather's request they'd been seated at a table that was on the patio outside. Suddenly; some woman, who was obviously a television reporter because a man carrying a camera seemed to be following her every move; approached their table, and began to ask them questions.

"You're Heather Winters and Mason Markinson," she inquired, "Aren't you?"

"I don't know," Mason unsociably, almost hatefully replied, "It all depends on who wants to know."

"I'm Sharon Langston," the lady replied smiling, "And I'm with KTBC, News Channel Seven."

"I'm only going ask you this one time," Mason said, "And I'm trying my best to be as nice as I know how so; would you please turn that camera off and leave us alone?"

"I'm a newswoman," the woman insistently replied, "And the first amendment to the constitution of The United States guarantees me freedom of the press."

"Not when it infringes on the personal freedoms of someone else," Heather spat, "Leave us alone, dammit."

"Come on, baby," Mason said, gently taking Heather's hand and walking back inside of the restaurant, "Let's go."

As the woman went to follow them into the restaurant, the restaurant owner, Mr. Joseph Pataglia, stopped her and her cameraman at the door, not allowing them to enter.

"You don't want to do that," the woman accusingly smiled, "I have friends in the health department."

"And I have friends in The District Attorney's Office, Ms. Wentworth," Jane Hamilton smiled, coming up behind the woman, with her credentials in hand, "And for doing what you just did, I'm going to not only personally bring you and your employer up on charges for illegally making personal threats to a business owner, but I'm also going to see to it that you lose your job for harassing innocent people. In the mean time, I suggest you get out of here now."

"You'd better not," she told Jane, "You forget that I can either make or break your career, Miss Hamilton."

And then smiling at the two police officers who, unbeknownst to Sharon Wentworth, were standing directly behind her, Jane gave an evil grin and politely said, "Officers, would you please arrest Ms. Wentworth, and her cameraman for threatening a public official?"

"Gladly, Miss Hamilton," the officer smiled, as he handcuffed the reporter as well as the cameraman, reading them their rights in the process.

Then Jane smiled at the restaurant owner, and said, "Have you got a table in the back, Joey?"

"Please, allow me, Ms. Hamilton," he happily chuckled, extending his arm "I'd be honored to seat you myself."

~~~~~~

"Have you two got room for me?" Jane asked, as she passed by where Mr. Pataglia had reseated Heather and Mason.

"Jane," Mason smiled, standing up and pulling out a chair next to Heather, "Man, are you a sight for sore eyes?"

"Hi, Jane," Heather brightly smiled, "Thank you for letting us sit back here, Mister Pataglia."

"It was my pleasure, little one, the kindly old man smiled, "How is your Chicken Parmesan, huh?"

"Are you kidding me?" she giggled, "This is the best I've ever had."

"Oh, that sounds good," Jane smiled, "I believe I'll have the same thing, Joey."

Anything for you, m'lady," Joe teased, as he'd always done with Jane, ever since she began working for the D.A.'s office, "Coming right up," and then he disappeared into the kitchen.

"So," Jane smiled, "How're you two holding up?"

"I'm not worried, Jane," Heather quietly laughed, "Terrance Redmond is such an asshole."

"He certainly is," Jane smiled, "But I wanted to commend you on how well I thought you handled him this morning."

"I'm not worried about him," Mason said, "But I've also got a feeling that we haven't seen all of that asshole's tricks yet either."

"And you're a very wise young man, Mason," Jane proudly smiled, "But I'm pretty certain that you've heard that before."

"I don't know about all that," he smiled, "I just prefer to mind my own business, that's all."

"Maybe so," Jane knowingly grinned, as Heather reached across the table and gently took her love's hand, "But my cousin said that she saw you fighting at the National Karate Tournament, and let me just say that I'm glad you're on the right side of the law."

"That's the thing," Mason humbly replied, "I always have been, and I always will be."

~~~~~~

Once the court was back in session and everyone was seated, the prosecution called its next witness.

"The people call Mason Markinson to the stand, Your Honor," Jane respectfully announced, as Mason made his way to the witness stand; and once he'd been sworn in, Jane began her questioning.

She asked Mason to give his account of what had happened on the day the two defendants were arrested, and in doing so, his testimony perfectly coincided with the testimony that Heather had given earlier that morning.

Once Jane completed her line of questioning, she looked at the judge and said, "I have no more questions for the witness, Your Honor."

"Your witness, counselor," Judge Anderson told Mr. Redmond.

"Thank you, Your Honor," Redmond replied, as he stood and approached Mason, who, unbeknownst to him, had prepared himself for this long before that day.

"Good afternoon, Mister Markinson," Redmond said, in an attempt to try and disarm Mason, "How are you doing today?"

"Can we dispense with the pleasantries, Mister Redmond?" Mason respectfully replied, "You're wasting the court's time," causing a barrage of quiet snickers to emanate throughout the courtroom

"Alright then," Redmond sneered, "You're a student at The University of Texas, correct?"

"Yes, sir," Mason said, "I'm majoring in engineering ."

"You're also a fighter, too," Redmond stated, "Aren't you?"

"No, sir," Mason told him, "I'm an athlete."

"Come on, Mister Markinson," Redmond laughed, "Everyone knows that Karate is nothing more than fighting, pure and simple."

"And I'd say that calls for speculation," Mason curtly replied, "Wouldn't you, Counselor?"

"Oh, so I see you think you know about the law, Mister Markinson," Redmond spat.

"Hardly, that would make me like you," Mason grinned, "And God knows I'd hate for that to happen."

"Objection, Your Honor," Redmond said to Judge Anderson, "Would you please instruct the witness to keep his opinions to himself."

"Overruled," Counselor," Judge Anderson loudly chuckled, "You were the one who opened this line of questioning so; I suggest you either move on to something else, or let the witness stand down."

"Fair enough," Redmond replied, then he turned back to Mason and growled, "You savagely attacked my clients, didn't you, Mister Markinson."

"NO, I did not," Mason growled back, "Your clients, as you call them, brutally molested my fiancée, and then Biff Howard threatened to kill me, and Tad Cummings tried to shove a broken beer bottle into my back. According to the laws in this state that concern the deadly application of the martial arts, I would've been well within my rights to kill both of those animals, but instead I showed a lot of restraint, hence the reason they're still alive. If you don't believe me, you can look it up yourself, Counselor!" and by this time everyone in courtroom, the jury included, were all standing on their feet applauding Mason, while he sat in the witness booth with a content smile on his face.

MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,927 Followers