Blessings Ch. 03

Story Info
Time at the mall leads to a confession.
5.3k words
4.57
90k
48

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/11/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mused
Mused
1,268 Followers

As always, many thanks to chargergirl for her support and for her expert eye. And, oh yeah, don't forget to vote and/or comment. I'd love to know what you think.

*

Amanda agreed to clean the dishes as penance for her behavior towards Cassie. She snuck down the stairs, careful to avoid the Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving in the dining room, and slipped into the kitchen. The kitchen counter looked like an architectural model, the city of the future. She assessed the stacks of baking dishes, plates, bowls, and coffee cups. She glanced at the still dishwasher and sighed. Mom would have a coronary if anyone tried to put her good china and silver in there. Everything would have to be washed by hand. And there was a lot to wash. How could four normal-sized people and an anorexic have dirtied so many dishes?

Amanda reprimanded herself. Cassie was not an anorexic. She had to relinquish this grudge that had popped up so suddenly against her brother's girlfriend. Cassie was a nice girl. Kevin was lucky to have someone so nice. He deserved nice.

She grabbed a crusty plate and sunk it in the hot, soapy dishwater. She scrubbed the plate with a barely there dish rag. Mom and Dad really need new kitchen linens, she thought. She made a mental note for Christmastime. Rags and towels made for cheap gifts.

The work was wet and messy, but it got her mind off of everything that had been bugging her. By the time Amanda reached the dirty casserole dishes she was whistling without even thinking.

"Hey, that's from Snow White," a voice said. The intrusion nearly startled Amanda to death. It was Cassie.

Amanda's mood didn't just sour, it curdled. Yet she forced herself to smile and to apologize to Cassie once more.

Once more Cassie graciously accepted. "'Whistle While You Work' is such a fun song. You know," she said, picking up a tea towel, "Snow White was always my favorite princess." She started humming something, a song Amanda vaguely remembered from the Snow White movie, as she began drying the silverware. Cassie's giggling stopped the humming. "Someday my prince will come; I guess my prince has already come."

Amanda raised her eyebrow at the double entendre.

"So who was your favorite?" Cassie asked. Amanda had no idea what she was talking about. "Disney princess," she clarified, "who was your favorite?"

"I really never identified with drawings," Amanda said.

"You never watched Disney movies?" Cassie asked. She dried another fork, making sure that it was completely spot-free.

Of course Amanda had watched Disney movies; what girl hadn't? She slipped the largest casserole into the sink. The water was pretty grimy by then, but someone had forgotten to grease the dish, and it needed to soak. She scraped her thumbnail across the submerged dish. The macaroni and cheese was baked on pretty hard. Amanda imagined that it was Cassie who had forgotten to spray oil on the casserole and not her absentminded mother. It gave her no small amount of pleasure to believe that little Miss Perfect wasn't so perfect.

"So you must have had a favorite. Was it Cinderella?"

Amanda crinkled her nose. Cinderella was such a bimbo. She had to have birds and rats do her sewing.

"How about Sleeping Beauty?"

Sleeping Beauty was a drunk who was too hung over to get out of bed. Amanda found it disconcerting that Cassie's first two guesses were dumb blondes like her.

Cassie rattled off Pocahontas, Ariel, and Mulan, to which Amanda replied, "Two-timer, fish vagina, and bull dyke."

Cassie laughed at Amanda's quick retort.

Amanda fished a scouring pad out of the cabinet and began scraping the casserole. Flecks of burned cheese and noodles floated to the surface of the greasy dishwater. "Beauty was my favorite," she found herself admitting.

"Belle from Beauty and the Beast, you mean?" Cassie asked, to which Amanda nodded.

She hadn't meant to share that piece of information.

Cassie put her hands on her skinny hips and pretended to evaluate Amanda. "Hmm, let's see, Belle has brown hair and brown eyes; she's kind of quiet but kind of headstrong. She definitely reminds me of someone." Amanda didn't respond. She'd been nice enough to Cassie for one day. Despite the cold shoulder, Cassie continued, "Maybe you'll be like Belle, then. Maybe you'll find your prince in the place you least expect."

Amanda felt her ears grow hot. She wanted to be away from Cassie, but the damned casserole dish just wouldn't come clean. At that moment, Kevin arrived, twirling his car keys on his index finger. "There you are," he said. "We better get going if we want to make it to your folks' in time."

"Crud, it's late," Cassie said, checking the clock on the microwave. "I was having such a good time." She folded the towel into a perfect square and laid it on the counter. She gave Amanda an uncomfortable hug and an even more uncomfortable kiss on the cheek. "Bye Mandy!" Amanda shuddered when Cassie called her that. Cassie gave Kevin a nauseatingly long kiss. When it was over they both grinned dumbly. "Let me get my purse, and I want to say goodbye to Jim and Anne." She touched his nose and sauntered off.

The siblings stood in uncomfortable silence for a while. Finally, Kevin spoke, "It's been a long day."

She just frowned and said, "Tell me about it." She went back to scouring the casserole dish.

"Dinner was great," he said. She agreed. Mom and Cassie certainly knew their way around the kitchen; she just wished they didn't have to be so annoying. "The cranberry sauce was my favorite." His words made her flush. The canned cranberry sauce was her very modest contribution to the dinner. He was a dope, with awful taste in women, but a sweet dope nonetheless.

Her eyes remained trained on the sink. She wondered where his eyes were. Were they studying her backside? The pantry door squeaked open, proving they were not. She chanced a peek. He was gathering a stack of Rubbermaid containers, something to freeze leftovers in. He opened the refrigerator and studied the contents. "We are going to have leftovers forever," he said.

"Take some with you," Amanda suggested. "I can only take so much of Mom's turkey chili." She remembered last year with a shudder: Mom had made turkey chili twice a week from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

"Oh God, no." He patted his belly. "I don't even want to think about leftovers. I still have one more dinner to go. "And if you think Mom goes all out, you should hear some of the horror stories Cassie has told me about her mother's Thanksgivings."

Amanda forced a chuckle. She hated thinking about perfect skinny Cassie's perfect skinny mother even more than she hated thinking about perfect skinny Cassie. She wanted to talk about something non-Cassie related. "I'm thinking about enrolling at your college."

His face brightened at the revelation. He knew she liked working at the vet's, but he was always telling her she could do more than just bathe and groom. She should be a veterinarian herself, he often suggested. She wasn't quite so ambitious. For now she was concentrating on becoming a veterinarian's assistant.

"We should get together this weekend. I can help you pick out classes for spring. There are some professors I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy."

His words made her indescribably happy. "How about Sunday?" she suggested. "I could bring the course catalog. Maybe we could get something to eat and catch that movie one last time before it hits the dollar show?"

"That sounds good, Mandy... uh, Amanda. Sorry." He knew she didn't like people to call her Mandy anymore. She thought it sounded childish. But for some reason, she didn't mind so much when he did it.

Cassie returned at that moment. She wormed her way under Kevin's arm and held his waist. Mandy smirked knowingly. Enjoy him while you can, beanpole, she thought darkly, because Sunday he's all mine.

Amanda worked Friday, but it was only half a day. When she got home her back was still sore from wrestling an Irish Setter on the grooming table. Normally, she would have spent the remainder of the day after Thanksgiving putting up the Christmas decorations, but she was so sore and didn't feel like lugging the heavy tubs up from the basement. Mom and Dad were out doing the Black Friday thing. Fighting the sea of bargain hunters held little appeal for her. She would do her shopping midweek, when the crowds were a tad more manageable.

She sighed and wished Kevin was there. He always helped. He loved Christmas as much as she did. He would come over to help decorate even after he moved out. Not this year. He and Cassie were out shopping for her disgustingly huge family. Cassie had siblings, nephews, and nieces out the wazoo, so they needed to take advantage of the bargains. She felt sorry for Kevin. She knew he got kind of nervous in big crowds. She hoped he remembered to put on deodorant and to wear a dark shirt. She felt a compulsion to call him, to see how he was, and to make sure they were still on for Sunday, but she didn't. How horrible would it have been if Cassie answered? Instead, she puttered around the house for a while. She cleaned her closet and drawers, making room for the flood of new clothes she hoped to get for Christmas. She discarded the old clothes in a lawn and leaf bag; they would be donated to Goodwill, eventually.

She went to the kitchen to heat a bowl of turkey chili in the microwave. She pulled the magnetic notepad and pen from the refrigerator and sat at the table. She jotted down some gift ideas. Mom and Dad would get towels, lots and lots of towels. In addition, she wanted to buy Mom a new pair of sneakers, the pair she had now was getting pretty disgusting. Dad could use a new rod and reel; he'd dropped two in the lake over the summer. She wondered if they made fishing rods that floated. She would check Bass Pro Shops for that. She jotted down gift cards for a few of her friends. She wanted to buy a toy for her friend Martha's new baby girl. That left Kevin. He would be tough to buy for. It's not that he is hard to please (he always seemed to appreciate her gifts); it's just that she wanted to give him something he really wanted this year, something so perfect that not even Cassie could give it to him. She put a trio of question marks by his name.

Damn it, she forgot about Cassie. Was she supposed to buy Cassie something? Amanda tried to remember if she had ever bought anything for any of Kevin's girlfriends. She hadn't, but he had never been as serious about them as he was with Cassie. Her instincts told her to not bother, but she just knew that Cassie would buy her something really nice, and then she would look like a total Scrooge for not giving anything in return. God, she hated that girl. She jotted down McDonalds gift certificate next to Cassie's name and smiled wickedly.

Sunday arrived at last. Amanda was in a haze for most of the day. She was so incredibly happy, a condition her parents were very pleased to see. She didn't even complain when she went downstairs for lunch and smelled another pot of turkey chili simmering on the stove. She politely declined the bowl of chili her mother offered, opting instead for a granola bar and an orange. She wasn't on a diet; she was just too excited to eat.

Kevin called around four. The background noise on his cell phone revealed that he was already at the mall. He was alone, thank goodness, putting the final touches on his shopping. He asked if she could meet him there around six. She readily agreed. He reminded her to bring the course catalog along. They would study it at dinner. He finished the conversation by saying that he really wanted to see her.

Amanda's heart fluttered as she put the phone on the cradle. She wanted to see him even more. She hated Cassie so much for what she'd done. He was her big brother. Cassie had no right keeping them apart.

Amanda checked the clock on her desk. She had almost two hours before she had to meet Kevin at the food court. She slipped on a pair of canvas tennis shoes and threw the yellow zip-up cardigan over her shoulders. She would head to the mall early. Maybe they would bump into one another and do some shopping together. It couldn't hurt to try.

She bounced downstairs and found herself in the kitchen. "Bye, Mom, I'm off to see Kevin." She hugged her mother hard.

"Oh, so that explains the sudden change in attitude," her mother said. "Don't be out too late. You're brother has school in the morning."

Amanda nodded. She was about to leave when a question popped into her head. "Mom, did you really mean it?" she asked.

Mom folded her arms. "Mean what, Mandy?"

Amanda ignored the use of her childish nickname. "Did you mean what you told me that night in my room?" She couldn't help herself. It was stupid to open this old wound, but she had to know. "You really wouldn't care if Kevin and I..." She couldn't figure out how to word it: if we dated, if we fucked, if we were in love.

"I just wanted you to be happy," was Mom's innocuous answer.

"Does the offer still stand?" she asked, clenching her teeth and wincing.

"Yes, but I don't think Kev---"

Amanda didn't let her finish. She practically shouted, "Bye, Mom!" and headed for the mall.

It took a good twenty minutes to find a parking space. And then she had to walk forever to the mall entrance. The weather remained unseasonably warm. The walk made her sweat. She felt the fabric of the t-shirt cling to her back. The mall was normally quiet this late on a Sunday, but since it was Thanksgiving weekend it was bustling with activity. She elbowed past a group of loitering teenagers. The boys all leered. A saxophone player stood just inside the door. He played Christmas tunes, while shoppers came up and deposited loose change and dollar bills into his Salvation Army kettle. Amanda reached in her purse and pulled out a dollar. She slipped it in the kettle, and the sax player gave her a gracious wink as he started playing "O Little Town of Bethlehem."

She surveyed the crowds. It was like watching a human ant farm. People streamed from one store to the next, following the chemical trails that would lead to the next bargain. She didn't see Kevin, of course. Not even he would stand out in this crowd. She thought about calling him to meet up. No, she decided, he told her to meet him in the food court at six. She didn't want to look desperate. If they happened to bump into one another before then and hook up, that was a different matter.

She found the escalator and headed downstairs. Her first destination was the department store. Sears had a white sale, so she loaded up on every kind of towel imaginable. She got bath towels, hand towels, kitchen towels, and an armful of dishrags. Her purchases filled an entire shopping bag. Mom and Dad would have enough towels to last until retirement. She bought a stack of gift cards for her friends and some decent walking shoes for Mom. She looked at tools, for Kevin, but couldn't imagine what he would need in that tiny apartment of his. She browsed the men's clothing department. She saw some shirts that she thought he'd look handsome in, but they didn't come in tall sizes. Besides, she didn't want to get him something as impersonal as a dress shirt. Her debit card was practically smoking by the time she was finished, but at least a large chunk of her shopping was finished. She walked to the Bass Pro Shops and bought Dad a new baitcasting reel and a rod. The nice old salesman had helped her pick it out. It wasn't too cheap, but it wasn't too expensive. She also found some foam floats that could be fastened on to Dad's new rod, should he ever drop it in the lake. Again, she looked for something that Kevin would like. He wasn't a fisherman like Dad, but he did enjoy the outdoors. He and his buddies used to do a lot of camping and hiking. She thought about getting him some new hiking shoes, but, again, that just didn't seem right.

Next she stopped at the toy store. She felt pretty proud after she emerged with a lullaby-singing stuffed bear for her friend Martha's new baby. She had managed to buy everyone on her list a gift. Everyone except Kevin. The bags were pretty heavy, but she managed to drag them along. Two windows down from the toy store she passed the lingerie store. Seeing the scantily dressed mannequins in the window displays reminded her that she needed some new underwear, and probably some bras, too. She thought about going in, but decided against it. She could find more affordable options and a less trashy setting at the Gap.

She browsed the cashmere sweaters meticulously folded at the Gap's entrance. A sign proclaimed half off. They were beautiful, but even at half off they cost a fortune. She decided to pass. She worked her way back to the intimates. The bra selection was pitiful, but after a bit of weeding, she found a 34C t-shirt bra. The panties were in better supply. She passed on the bikini and teeny bikini panties, and didn't even look at the thongs. She settled for a pair of heather gray high cut panties. She needed more but figured she shouldn't be shopping for herself. She wandered over to sleepwear.

The nightgowns drew her attention, one in particular. It was black and trimmed with lace. The neckline was cut low, and the hem fell just past the hip. It wasn't as overtly sexual as the lingerie she'd seen in the Victoria's Secret window. But it was sleek and feminine, and unlike anything she had ever owned. She had always been content to wear oversized t-shirts to bed. When it got cold, she would add flannel pajama pants to keep her legs warm. She touched the lacy bodice with her fingers. She wondered what she would look like in it. The mannequin that it was displayed on was tall and slender. Amanda was petite and curvy. Would the sexiness translate to her figure? Maybe the fact that she had boobs and hips would make the nightgown look even better on her. No, she was being stupid. She didn't need to look sexy. She had no one to look sexy for. She imagined what Mom and Dad would say if she came down for breakfast some Sunday morning wearing that! And poor Kevin, he'd pitch a tent in his pajamas so fast that it would put an Eagle Scout to shame. That was an intriguing thought. She felt the laciness again and wondered if Kevin got turned on by stuff like this.

She imagined wearing it for him. That could be his Christmas gift, she thought. Some guys get silk ties wrapped in glittery gold paper; he'd get a pair of 34Cs wrapped in black lace. Not a bad deal, altogether, she figured. She knew it was stupid. She knew Kevin would never see her in it; she would probably bury it in the deep recesses of her closet and forget about it. But she bought the nightgown anyway. When the saleslady handed her the bag and receipt, she buried both in the largest shopping bag, beneath a mound of towels.

She went to the food court and found an empty table by the Chinese Express. She set the bags down and sighed in relief. The handle of the bag was cutting into her palm. She blew on her sore hand and waited patiently for Kevin. She checked her watch. It was a few ticks past six. A touch on her shoulder alerted her to his presence. Kevin had several bags of his own, though not the enormous load that she had.

"Wow," he said, surveying her two enormous shopping bags. "Someone's been busy." He laid his bags next to hers. "I'll get the food if you watch the booty." She wanted to make a remark about how he was the one who liked watching "booties," but she refrained. She didn't want to scare him off. "What do you want?" he asked.

Amanda thought for a moment. Usually she blurted out burgers or pizza, but she was in the mood for something more exotic. Mexican didn't sound very appetizing. Neither did Japanese. Since they were so close to the Chinese stand, and it seemed to be the least crowded, she settled on that. She asked for orange chicken and chow mein noodles. Kevin nodded and promised to return. She watched him move through the line. He seemed to be moving kind of strangely. When he got the tray of food and paid, she noticed that he favored his right leg. She was so afraid that he would spill the sodas all over himself.

Mused
Mused
1,268 Followers
12