Blood of the Clans Ch. 12

Story Info
Therese has doubts and a way out. Eerie events happen.
7.3k words
4.8
8.9k
2
Story does not have any tags

Part 12 of the 50 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 08/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Two days after MacRae and his men left Inverlochy, two more groups had come to the castle with news. A pair of messengers in French uniform were given entry to see the Earl, the senior officer bearing word for Therese. Two hours after they left to return to the ship, Garreth and Grayson, along with twenty, heavily armed men rode in with four prisoners in tow. They dismounted, but left the men tied to the horses, their men keeping watch over them.

Garreth and Grayson walked into the main house, but were told to wait, while behind the door, the Earl sat in his office, pondering how to handle his adversaries diplomatically. He knew it didn't matter about the strategy, but his show of authority, that would turn things in his favour and that of James MacRae's.

The Earl had his man open the door and usher the two highlanders in. They both showed their respects by pausing and bowing to Douglas, before continuing forward.

"My Lord, Earl, we come wi' a grave matter that demands justice be served. Five days past, Eilean Donan castle was raided by twenty MacRae clansmen. They killed Laird Hamish MacDonnell, everyone, women and children as well, save six young women, one being Lady Heather MacDonnell, who they raped and defiled in every way. The bodies of the dead were burned and dumped intae the loch. We ha'e brung them here tae ye now, tae stand trial fer their crimes." Grayson stated clearly and with as little emotion as he could.

The Earl looked at him and then to Garreth before speaking. "Is this a clan war?"

"No, yer Lordship. This was a hostile take-over by James MacRae. The MacDonnell's are at peace wi' the clans and have no quarrel wi' any." Grayson affirmed to Douglas. "Are the MacDonnell's the rightful clan to hold Donan? Have they been granted a charter by the King, titling the castle and lands to them?" Douglas asked the question, he knew the answers to already.

"The MacDonnell clan has held the seat at Donan fer more than two hundred years, M' Lord." Grayson quickly giving the information, hoping the Earl would see the length of time in possession being a token of their ownership.

"Yes, I'm well aware of that, Laird MacDonald, but do they have a charter to hold title? Without it, I am in no position to help you. The clans have been sacking each other for centuries and those that are loyal to the King, are granted charters securing their castle and lands from any take-overs. Those that aren't, the Crown can't recognize true ownership, unless proven by a previous charter declaring it." Douglas said with staid emotion, all the while laughing heartily at the two highlanders on the inside.

He had studied the laws of his realm and knew he had the power to punish James MacRae and his sons for their deeds. He also knew the Scots standing before him had no understanding of his laws. "As it stands, my Lairds, the MacRae's are in as much right to own Eilean Donan, as the MacDonnell's are. Are the MacDonnell's back in the castle now?"

"Yes, my Lord Earl, after securing the castle, Lady Anne MacDonnell is at the Seat again." Grayson told him, letting the Earl know he felt justified in battling the MacRae's to restore rightful possession.

"Then for now, I will recognize Lady Anne MacDonnell and her clan, as the constables and grant them permission to stay. I will also make it known, that Eilean Donan will be held in my holdings as an unchartered castle and lands, subject to an investigation into its legal titling. I will also conduct an investigation into your claims for the crimes committed by your prisoners and shall place them in my custody, until a trial is set. Is there anything more, my Lairds?" Douglas said, almost smiling. His composure one of smug indifference, as he sat looking at papers on his desk.

Garreth and Grayson felt unsure about the outcome of the situation. They looked at the Earl a while longer to see if he would contribute more information, then Douglas looked up at both of them again, but as subordinates, a look of wonderment on his face.

"Is there anything else my Lairds?" his words finalizing their thoughts.

"No M'Lord, we'll turn the prisoners o'er tae yer men and await yer decision. Thank ye, yer Lordship." Garreth said with suspicion in his tone, Grayson looking incredulously at him, not believing more shouldn't be said.

Garreth gave a short, quick bow of his head and turned to go. Grayson, stood bewildered, and hesitated to follow. The Earl's guard opened the door for Garreth, who was moving quickly to it. At that instant, Lady Therese was ready to knock. Before a thought of action could be taken, Garreth plowed into Therese and sent her reeling backwards. In a quick move, he grabbed her arms strongly and stopped her fall. Therese let out a cry of shock, as she stopped suddenly at her capture.

In the instant of their eyes meeting, time stopped and neither moved. Garreth felt a tightening in his chest, his heart beating stronger and faster. Therese searched his blue-grey eyes with hers, seeing the depth of the man who held her. Her heart raced as well, her breathing deeper, the rise and fall of her breasts, as she breathed hard, threatened to spill them from their precarious perch in her décolletage.

Garreth slowly brought her up towards him, looking into her emerald, green eyes and saw them fixed on his, knowing instantly they had connected and formed a bond, felt it strong in his heart. He knew she felt it too, her eyes and touch admitting it. Her hands held onto him, partly in support, partly in connection. Therese was first to break the magic of the moment by clearing her throat, then they slowly parted, their hands lingering as long as they could near each other.

"M'Lady, I'm truly sorry and apologize fer my aggressiveness. I hope I did'ne harm ye in any way?" Garreth said with a genuine concern, as he bowed in respect.

"No, M'Lord, I do thank you for your quick response though, in correcting your intrusion." Therese replied with politeness, an underlying layer of attraction connected to it.

"Allow me tae introduce myself. I'm Laird Garreth MacLeod of Harris and Dunvegan. Who do I ha'e the pleasure of meeting?" Garreth said smiling, more at ease, holding his hand to her.

"I am Lady Therese de Mornay. I am the betrothed of the Earl of Huntly." Therese told him, offering her hand to him.

Garreth took it in his, feeling the softness in contradiction to the feel of his own. Lowering his head, his eyes fixed on hers, he kissed the delicate skin. Her scent rose to him and he inhaled, as he stood. Her smile belied her enjoyment of his kiss. "A pleasure tae meet ye, Lady Therese."

"What is going on? MacLeod, are you mad? You could have seriously hurt Lady Therese. I will ask you to conduct yourself more civilly while you're here." Douglas chastised Garreth, trying to appear concerned for her well-being.

"I do apologize yer Lordship. I was walking in a most inappropriate manner." Garreth replied, his tone belying he took it with little seriousness.

The Earl looked at him with a disdain and took hold of Therese's arm. Garreth looked at Therese and then to the Earl.

"Yer Lordship, I will be requiring rooms fer Laird Grayson and myself. Due tae the length of travel, we'll need tae stay, while ye conduct yer investigation and hold the trial afterwards." Garreth demanded from him, knowing it was less than thirty miles to Tioram.

"I will make the arrangements my Lairds." Douglas said back, with a layer of distaste seeping through.

Lady Therese had a look of happiness sweep over her, the prospect of more time to spend getting to know more of Garreth MacLeod. She washed a look of staid reserve over it quickly before she was noticed, but Garreth had spied the moment, remaining reserved not to give her away.

Garreth bowed to the Earl and thanked him, then turned to Lady Therese again.

"A pleasure tae ha'e met ye, Lady Therese and congratulations on yer upcoming nuptials wi' his Lordship." his words placating the Earl and making further connection for his feelings for her, as he took her hand once more and kissed the smooth, porcelain skin offered.

Lady Therese blushed lightly and curtseyed pleasantly to him, a warm smile on her face. "It was a pleasure to have met you as well, Laird Garreth. I'm sure I will see you about, while you stay."

"My thanks tae ye, yer Lordship, fer allowing us the privilege of yer hospitality." Grayson said, as he quickly dashed forward, taking Garreth's arm and directed him away from his attraction.

Once out of ear-shot, Grayson hissed through his teeth at Garreth, "Are ye raving mad, Garreth? What do ye think yer doing wi' Lady Therese? I saw the looks between ye's, so I know that little badger of a man, Douglas, was bound tae notice it as well. Are ye trying tae get yer self locked up? Because I'm no going tae join ye."

Garreth smiled widely at hearing Grayson confirm the connection between Therese and him. He happily laid his hand over Grayson's shoulders and turned to him.

"It'd be worth it, Grayson. Did ye no see the beauty of the woman? I'd take a year in jail fer a night wi' her. Are ye going tae say ye would'ne?" Garreth challenged him.

Grayson thought about the exquisite features of Therese and smiled widely with the same thought Garreth did. "Aye." slinging his hand over Garreth's shoulder, laughing together, as they came back to the men.

Grayson signalled Glenn to him and in moments, was stopped before him.

"Glenn, take the men back tae Tioram, see tae the castle that it's secure. Make sure the men are well-fed and tended tae. Garreth and I will be staying, while the Earl makes his investigation and then the trial. Ha'e the men watch the coast fer any strange birlinns sailing about. Make a trip tae Donan every other day tae make sure the castle is safe. Change the guard wi' fresh men and do that each time ye go." Grayson told him, as opposed to ordering him.

Glenn was as close as a brother to Grayson, having grown up and shared many moments in their lives together. Glenn was Grayson's cousin and family, his mother being sister to Grayson's father, his father being Lady Anne's brother. Glenn's parents were killed during a raid by the MacKenzie's and was only spared because he and his brother, Iain, were with him at Tioram celebrating his fifteenth birthday. He placed his hand on his shoulder and Glenn returned his in kind.

"Be safe Laird Grayson, ye as well Laird Garreth. This is close tae the MacRae's lands and they won't be too far away. I'll see tae Tioram and Lady Arabella, then make the arrangements fer a rotation of men at Donan. If any trouble comes, I'll ha'e the men from Tioram and Camus come and aid them. Grayson," Glenn asked more personally now,

"The men ha'e fought well and deserve a reward fer it. Shall I set out a table fer them and wi' yer permission, a keg of whisky between ten men?" Glenn replied, smiling at his suggestion.

"Make it between twenty, Glenn. They may be our kith and kin, but they're a right rowdy lot when they get the drink in them." Grayson replied in laughter, causing the others to laugh along.

"As ye wish, Laird Grayson." Glenn held his hand to Grayson, who clasped wrists with him. "I'll see ye as soon as justice is carried out."

"Glenn," Garreth took his attention from Grayson, " Ha'e Peadair sail tae Dunvegan and re-enforce Camus wi' more men and birlinns. Make sure they have a measure of cheer up there as well. God speed yer journey, Glenn." Garreth gave a wink to him, smiling his agreement to the men enjoying their time.

"My thanks, Laird. I shall see tae yer orders." Glenn said, taking Garreth's wrist in bond.

Glenn mounted his horse and rode up to Peadair, telling him of Garreth's orders. Peadair nodded and turned to Garreth, raising his hand high, palm open, facing them and then closed it in a fist, dropping his arm quickly, signalling he acknowledged the orders. Glenn and Peadair rode off with the others in line behind them, two abreast, the MacLeod bull's head banner, and the MacDonald tri-castle towers banner, leading the procession.

Garreth and Grayson turned away and headed for the house to be shown to their rooms. From her second story window, Lady Therese watched the pair, Garreth in particular, walk towards her. She took note of his stride as he walked, how he carried himself, his left hand draped over the hilt of his long Claymore, now clean and shining in the sunlight. She could see his strength and athleticism, his pride and honour. She noticed his long, dark hair and how it blew in the breeze, wrapping around his face. She also watched at how he inter-acted with his friend, Laird Grayson. She could see they were close, sensing their lives had been bonded in friendship since at least childhood.

In her heart she desired a man like that. The heat she felt in her loins told her she was smitten with him, that he was the one she wished to give herself to. Thinking of what her reality was, she felt a strong sense of despair at what her life would be like with Douglas instead. She clasped her hands to her stomach, an aching radiating out from it, one she knew threatened to remain with her, for the rest of her life.

The two highlanders disappeared from view, as they entered the house and Therese turned away from the window, to find Douglas standing in the doorway looking at her. Her face took on one of surprise at feeling she was caught spying and held thoughts that he could read her mind and what she was thinking. She flushed a bright red and became nervous, hoping her fears weren't true.

"Are you all right, Lady Therese? You looked lost in thought, then seemed to have a wave of discomfort come over you." Douglas asked, unsure of what held her attention out the window.

Therese heard an excuse that she could use and went with it. "Oui. I was thinking of my friend, Arabella MacDonald, and how Laird Grayson reminded me of her. They both have hair the same in colour and she has a brother of that name. Are they brother and sister?" Therese asked in hope.

Knowing his answer was a lie as he said it, "I don't believe they are Lady Therese. There are many clans named MacDonald in the area. And from what I've seen, many are as red haired as Laird MacDonald. I still have men asking about for your friend and I'm sure they'll find her soon."

He had convincingly lied that he knew nothing of an Arabella MacDonald or a castle named Tioram. He explained he had only been placed in his position just a year earlier and hadn't met all the chiefs of the clans surrounding him, so her name hadn't been brought to his attention as of yet.

Therese sighed longingly at giving up the hope she might have been close to seeing her friend again. She found herself giving up hope on many things in her life. One hope she did her best to keep alive was her beloved Trecesson.

Therese had waited patiently every day since her arrival, for a letter or dispatch, telling her, her uncle was on trial for his crimes. Her future was uncertain, as long as he remained free, her death needed to take over her father's lands and holdings. Being in Scotland provided that security from him, but her future as the wife of Douglas Gordon seemed just as unappealing and certainly a death to part of her.

Douglas slowly walked towards her, keeping his hands behind his back. He walked up close to her and looked into her eyes. Therese became nervous, thinking he could read her thoughts of Garreth.

"I might have something here to bring a smile to your face." Douglas told her, a smile creeping across his face.

Therese relaxed somewhat at his mention of having something, her guarded feelings still keeping her tense.

"What is that, my Lord?" she said inquisitively, a noticeable strain in her voice. Douglas brought his hands around and Therese could see a letter in his right one. Holding it up, she saw the seal of the King's Sheriff imprinted in the wax seal. Her face was now one of desperate excitement. Taking the letter from Douglas tentatively, she broke the seal and hesitated opening it, unsure if she wanted him to know the content of it.

"I'll leave you to read it, my dear. Allow me the privilege of knowing the content, if I can be of any help." Douglas told her, watching her reaction to seeing it. "Thank you, my Lord," Therese replied, curtseying in response, but not agreeing to divulge anything, yet giving that impression.

Douglas smiled and took Therese's hand, kissing it softly, his face showing a degree of affection. He let it go and turned away, leaving her alone with her thoughts and the letter in her hand. Therese absently wiped the back of her hand on her dress, then broke the seal and opened the first flap and then slowly opened it completely. Taking a deep breath, she prepared herself for whatever the news read.

'Lady Therese de Mornay, I require your return to France to attend the royal court in Paris. Upon investigation of the events of your parents passing, at your request, it has been discovered that the man claiming to be Jacques de Trecesson, was in fact an impostor and has no relationship to Henri de Trecesson. He has been found guilty of poisoning your parents, the details of the investigation will be made available to you, as well as your presence for the sentencing. Your immediate return will be made possible by the ship bringing you this letter. It is my hope this letter finds you well and look forward to your return.'

The tears flowed from her eyes, as her heart and mind realized the reality of the words. She clutched the letter to her bosom, treating it as lovingly as a cherished child. She stood in silence and sobbed quietly in relief, knowing her life was safe. Her parent's lands and chateau would remain her's to control, giving her the sense of purpose and stability.

Composing herself, Therese made her way to Douglas' office, where he sat looking through papers. She entered and came up to him smiling, tear stains down her cheeks, as Douglas raised his head and looked at her inquisitively.

"Good news, my dear?" he asked her, curious to the tears and seeing her smile.

"Yes, it is. I am to return to France at the request of the King's Sheriff, to attend the trial. This man, an impostor, he was found guilty of murdering my parents and I must leave as soon as I possibly can. A ship is waiting in the harbour for me now. I must beg your leave to attend this trial, my Lord." Therese told him with a mixture of emotion, trying to remain composed.

"That is good news my dear. By all means, have your things prepared and I'm sure by tomorrow's end, you'll be ready to leave. The tides should be right and you can leave in the morning after that. Are you aware of your expected return?" Douglas asked her, wanting an assurance of her return to him and their pre-arranged nuptials.

"I am not sure of the length of my stay, my Lord. Once I am made aware, I will send you notice of my return." Therese replied, thinking of what to say, not wanting to alarm the Earl to her real intentions of never seeing him again.

Therese gave a slight bow and turned to go back to her room. As she neared the stairs, the sound of footsteps alerted her to someone coming down and she waited. A shadow appeared on the wall and she knew instantly from the outline who it was. Her heart raced again, as he rounded the last corner and came into view.

Garreth looked up and saw Therese waiting there. His eyes met hers again and he stopped. The moment once again seemed to last forever for them. Finally breaking the spell, Garreth smiled and spoke.

"Lady Therese, we meet again. I've learned tae slow down around here, can'ne be bumping intae everyone tae meet them. I do apologize once again fer my earlier introduction."

"Laird Garreth, there is no need to apologize. No harm came to me, so there is no need for your concern. I am happy to see you again under nicer circumstances though." Therese said smiling and an ever-growing blush coming over her.