Blood or Love Ch. 03

Story Info
The vampire gets out of the house.
4.2k words
4.53
11.6k
1

Part 3 of the 11 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 11/15/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A storm passed through, and then there were just faint rumblings and the occasional flash of lightning. Jack was downstairs, pacing back and forth in the dark living room. He was much too wired to go back up and lie down next to Kim.

He could hear both of the women as they slept upstairs, could detect the soft rhythm of their heartbeats in the quiet house. Their scents still lingered over the room.

And then there was that misty redness. It floated around the edges of his mind like a creeping fog. Thin, but more constant than earlier in the night.

Jack sank down into the soft cushions of the couch that had been his bed for so many days, and looked around the room. Earlier, he'd straightened everything up from his little scuffle with Matt. Now, there was nothing to do, and he was getting bored. He knew boredom was not a good thing for a vampire.

Jack turned on the TV, keeping the volume low enough so that his family wouldn't hear him play Guitar Hero. Then he zoned out, enjoying the release of all thought while he rocked "Sabotage". Several songs after that, Jack was flipping through the TV channels.

It was alarming that he couldn't focus on much of anything except how good people looked. Especially when he found a slasher movie, with lots of gore and blood. He couldn't take his eyes off the screen. He flipped the TV off, disgusted with himself.

It was bad enough that he was keyed up again, but even worse-hungry.

In the dark kitchen, Jack opened the fridge and took out a tube of blood. The label said "Kim" in her rounded scrawl. Why did they bother to label the tubes? he wondered. He shook his head. Women.

He popped the cap off the vacuum tube and drank her down. Ah, that was good and salty, although...cold. He grimaced. Cold wasn't doing it for him anymore. And just one wasn't going to satisfy him either.

For the last year, he'd been more than happy with a tube per day, mixed in with some liquid human food. But now, the awakening parasite wanted more, and it wanted it hot and fresh.

He threw the empty vial into the trash and reached for another one. This was Benny. She's really not a bad sister, he thought as he drained the vial down his throat, enjoying the touch of sweetness that was again marred by temperature and time away from its donor.

He stared into the open door at the remaining tubes. He wanted another one. No, he wanted them all. Every tube, and then some.

In anger, he shut the door and stumbled over to the kitchen sink. He leaned against it, then turned on the faucet and splashed cold water on his face. He cupped some of the water in his hand and filled his mouth with it, then spit it back into the sink. Those remaining molecules of his family's blood were off his taste buds, for now.

Jack thought he was off the hook with this reversion thing because he hadn't been craving blood. If he wasn't hungry, he reasoned, then it wasn't the same as when he was first turned. But now there was hunger.

Jack crept back to the living room. For a while, he leaned against the railing of the staircase. He stood there just gazing into the darkness upstairs, toward the two sleeping women.

Moments later, he snapped out of it. He wanted to tell himself it was just withdrawal from the antidote leaving his system. After all, it was only hours ago that he'd been flat on his back, sick. He couldn't expect not to have little setbacks. He just didn't want to believe things were happening so fast

But he couldn't deny the obvious changes in his thinking. Jack felt absolutely shitty over how he'd treated Kim in bed, guilting her and disregarding her fear. God, he'd put her life at risk by having sex with her tonight. She was right-he could have easily lost control.

The truth was, he simply found it harder to care. That red haze blowing through his mind seemed to lower his inhibitions and his reasons to worry. It was taking away all his cares and concerns...except for getting blood.

But he cared right now. He had his mind at this moment, and he had to protect his family. He glanced at the clock on the wall. Four in the morning. In a matter of hours, he'd have another injection and the parasite would go into hibernation inside him again. The craving that had begun to claw him would just be a memory. He could hold on a little longer.

He decided to go out and take a walk to clear his head. He left the house and inhaled the night. No moon or stars-the clouds still hung low in the sky. The world was alive around him. The rich textures in the darkness were like a caress to his senses. Just one more night left as a vampire, he thought.

He could scarcely be honest with himself about it, but a part of him would miss this. He'd almost forgotten what it was like before the antidote. When he stepped out into the darkness, he felt like he'd truly stepped into his world. But after tonight, he'd stumble in the dark. He'd be nothing compared to the creature he was now.

It didn't matter. He couldn't stay this way, letting the vampiric parasite with its ever-hunger have total control of his body, and soon, his mind. He thought of Kim and Benson. He would be strong for them. But he couldn't help testing his other abilities.

A quarter mile down the road was the Miller farm. He decided to run there. He looked down at his watch, then took off as fast as he could go down the country road to the neighbor's.

He stopped in front of the Miller farm and checked his watch, did a mental calculation, and came up with 45 feet per second. Not bad, he thought. He knew he would soon shave more time off his speed as the antidote continued to wear off.

Jack thought about the past when he and his maker, Cole, would have races down highways and country roads. Many of those cold nights were filled with laughter and drinks around a campfire, after a hot, fresh meal. It set Jack's mind back to how it all began.

*

It was late November-getting dark early-but just another day at the bank, until he got a call from Lily. The last thing he expected was to hear her voice again, and he had to admit a part of him was curious.

She said she had some items of his she wanted to return. He told her to just give it all to a homeless shelter. But she begged to see him-something she desperately needed to talk to him about in person. Against his better judgment, he agreed to meet her.

She wanted him to come to the same coffee shop where they used to hang out. Back then, he'd sip hot tea, she'd have coffee with lots of cream and sugar, and they'd share a large piece of blueberry pie. Now, he didn't feel like eating or drinking. He just wanted to get this over with.

He immediately saw her at a table by the window. He stood there a moment, taking in her delicate porcelain face and long, red hair. Her breasts were snug in the plunging neckline of a blue shirt that matched her eyes.

He noticed a cup overturned on a saucer on the table across from her, waiting for him. A large piece of blueberry pie sat in the middle of the table, two forks at the ready. She was looking down at a magazine as she stirred a cup of coffee. He slowly advanced toward her table.

Lily looked up, saw him, and smiled sweetly. He took the seat across from her.

"Hi, Jack."

"Lily."

The waitress appeared.

"Nothing for me, thanks." He turned back to his ex fiancee.

"Not even one cup of tea?

He'd forgotten how vibrant those blue eyes were. They seemed to draw him in. He broke free of them and looked down at the cup in front of him. He turned it, sliding it around on the saucer before looking back up to her face. "I don't intend to stay long."

He saw disappointment flash in those eyes, but her voice was cheerful. "I got your favorite pie." She shoved the plate toward him and leaned forward as she did, her cleavage threatening to overflow onto the table.

His eyes took in the cute spattering of freckles on her upper chest and breasts. Jack pulled his eyes immediately up to hers. He read some strange triumph in her sparkling, blue eyes.

Lily smiled sweetly. "We'll share it just like old times."

"No thanks. I'm not hungry. I'm married."

Her smiled slipped a little. "So I heard." Lily straightened up and smoothed her hands down the sides of her shirt, a move meant to emphasize her generous curves again. Her gaze traveled from his short, dark hair to the white dress shirt and tie. "You look really good."

"So do you," he answered honestly.

"So, how have you been?"

"Fine." He kept his voice neutral, polite. "You?"

She took a long sip of coffee. "I'm single again."

When he didn't answer, she continued. "He cheated on me. I just want you to know that I know how it feels now. It hurts so much. I'm really sorry for the pain I caused you, Jack."

Jack's fingers curled on each side of the cup and saucer. He turned his head and looked at the abandoned shops across the street before turning back to Lily.

She extended her hands on the table as if she thought he would take and caress them the way he used to. "I just wanted you to know that." Her head tilted to the side, her sugary voice softened. "I don't want you to hate me, Jack."

Jack looked down at her red fingernails. "I don't hate you."

"At least some small part of you must be glad that I'm alone and miserable."

He shook his head. "I'm sorry you're unhappy. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on you or anyone else."

"I know you wouldn't, Jack. You've got too big a heart for that."

He raised his head to find her staring at him with a faraway look. Jack cleared his throat. "Do you have something for me?"

She looked down at her side and patted a shopping bag on the seat next to her. "Yeah. Some of your clothes." She looked up with a little smile. "I was tempted to keep the t-shirt. It still smells like you."

He pretended he didn't hear that. "Just clothes?" he asked.

She crossed her arms under her breasts, heaving them up, drawing his eyes right into them. "A comb I think was yours, some photos of us...a pillow."

The last item took his thoughts somewhere he didn't want them to go. He forced himself to look at her perfect face, and adjusted his position in the seat. "You really didn't have to come down here for that stuff. I didn't miss any of it."

He noticed her right hand went back to the bag, clutching it, as if afraid that giving it over would make him get up and leave. And that's exactly what he needed to do.

"Well, it wasn't just the stuff I wanted to give you. I had to talk to you as well. Let you know how sorry I am."

"You did that."

"And tell you how much I miss you, Jack."

Jack sat back in his seat before simply responding, "Her name is Kim."

Lily studied him for a moment with a pout on her full lips. "Aww." Her voice was sardonic. "I bet she's a sweetie. Guess I learned my lesson too late, huh?"

When he didn't answer, she said, "And I heard about your parents and the car accident. I'm so sorry, Jack. When was that again?"

He pushed the saucer and cup away and glanced out the window again. "Six months ago."

"Oh, that's right. I would have come to the funerals, but I remember now, I was in California at a trade show."

Jack nodded once. Lily took that moment of distraction to reach a soft, warm hand out and place it on top of his, the way she used to when they sat across from each other.

He stared down at their hands impassively for a moment. Then, he slowly pulled his hand out from beneath hers and motioned toward the bag by her side. "I'll take my stuff now."

Lily looked disappointed. She hesitated, then slowly handed it over, making sure their hands touched again. "How's Benson doing? Still going to UT?"

"Not anymore." He knew the reason for the question was to keep him there longer, rather than an actual curiosity about his sister. Lily never liked Bennie.

"Aw, what's wrong? Party too much?"

His voice was stiff. "Maybe a little too much."

Lily smirked. "Doesn't surprise me. She was always a wild child."

"I really need to go."

He saw the slackening of her full, luscious lips. "You're leaving already? Why the hurry? The new wife have you on a short leash?"

Without a word, Jack set the bag down beside him, reached into his wallet and pulled out some money.

"I'm sorry, Jack," Lily said, obviously flustered. "You know how my mouth misbehaves."

Jack wanted to answer that in an offensive way, but decided against it. "Thanks for bringing my stuff all the way over here, Lily. I'll get your coffee and pie." He dropped bills on the table for a tip.

"Wait, Jack."

He found himself pausing in the seat, looking back at her.

"I was hoping we could be friends, maybe meet like this once in a while just to talk and vent, just be there for each other. I know you're married, but, what's her name, Kim? She doesn't have to know."

Jack stood up with his belongings, told her goodbye, paid the bill, and left without another look back.

He turned the corner of the building on the way to his car and walked straight into the arms of a waiting vampire-Cole, his soon-to-be maker.

"Guess I happened along at the right time," Cole said, looking him over. "You're perfect."

*

Jack kept away from the large old farmhouse. Instead, he wandered around back to the chicken coop. He leaped over the fence, opened the door, and stepped inside.

The chickens immediately started squawking and carrying on, sensing a predator in their midst. He grabbed one up and took off into the woods.

When he stopped running, he looked down at the white hen, flapping and darting in his hands. He held her more firmly so she couldn't move at all. He could hear and feel the blood pumping furiously in her small frame.

Animal blood wasn't new to him. It didn't satisfy or nourish the parasite, and in effect, his body, nearly as well as human blood. It didn't taste as good either.

He petted the hen with one hand, feeling the lined, hard quills contrasted with the smooth, plumed softness of feathers. She was still clucking, panicked. His fingers curled around her fragile, bony neck.

Suddenly, he snapped to attention and looked around. It was as though he'd awakened from some blood-tinged coma. He knew what he was doing, yet he didn't really know or even care, until he woke up. He almost crushed the bird in his panic.

It was frightening, and he'd felt it before, when he was first turning. He remembered how he tried to fight it off, how he and Cole tried to keep each other "awake" as long as possible to get to the antidote that Cole insisted was real.

*

"You're sick, Cole. You willingly did this to another person. You knew what would happen. And yet, you say you still have a conscience."

Cole shrugged. "Sometimes I still have one."

Jack sat down on the tree stump with a sigh. "I guess misery loves company."

"I needed someone new, freshly turned. The group I was with was too far gone, so I left. Then I saw you walking through that parking lot, and I couldn't resist. I knew you'd be smart, strong. And yes, it was selfish, but being a vampire isn't all bad. We have fun sometimes."

Jack looked up at him, shaking his head. "That's messed up. I won't even tell you how much."

"Look, man, we're helping each other. I don't always have complete control, as you're also finding out about yourself."

"Thanks to you."

"What's done is done, friend. We have to stick together, find the cure."

Jack sat with his head in his hands. "I need to talk to Kim. But now I'm afraid to go anywhere near her. In fact, I think I should leave the area, the state...maybe the country. If this goes on too long and I lose my mind..."

"Just call her. That's safe enough, isn't it? Let her know you're still alive, and-"

"Am I alive? I don't know what I am anymore."

Later, Jack did call Kim, and she began a desperate search for help. But Jack slipped further and further into his bloodthirst...

*

God, what was he doing? As he walked back toward the farm, he realized he'd been ready to drink from a chicken he stole from the neighbors. Pathetic. If things were getting this bad, why not just go home, hand Kim the stake, and tell her to end it all? He was fast becoming dangerous, and he would rather die than hurt anyone, especially Kim or Benny.

He crept back to the treeline, looking carefully to see if Mr. Miller had come out to check on the ruckus in the hen-house. There was nobody home, and he confirmed it when he peeked into the empty garage. Good. He was glad nobody was home, for more reasons than one. He put the hen back inside the fence and turned to walk home.

But he was still hungry. His throat burned. He couldn't go home to Kim and Benny with this kind of hunger. Dammit.

He would find deer in the woods. He and Cole always tried to keep full on animal blood. If he ate plenty, it should satisfy enough to get to Dr. Kitcher and the antidote tomorrow. After all, the hungrier he let himself get, the more out of control he could get.

He made a left turn and dashed silently off the road and back into the woods.

* * *

Jack felt fantastic, if a little sleepy, as the sun crawled over the hills and treetops that morning. Maybe it was the sex with Kim that did it. It was probably the deer he'd drained earlier too. It was a buck, a big guy. At any rate, he felt confident, and the red haze in his brain was nowhere to be found.

Benson drove him to the airport. She insisted on it, though she had to skip school to do it. He wasn't happy about that, but was so encouraged by her willingness to be with him that he didn't say anything about missed classes. She'd been uncharacteristically quiet around the house, hardly meeting his eyes as she helped him pack.

She also reminded him to wear the right clothes for sun protection. Since the antidote was wearing off, Jack was much more sensitive to the sun again. He stepped off the front porch into the afternoon, glad for the clouds.

Benny was actually covered up more than usual too, in jeans and a long-sleeve shirt without the usual plunging neckline. He assumed it was due to the unusually cool weather they were having in late September.

"Be careful, Jack." Benny finally looked him in the face when they pulled up to the airport doors.

Jack adjusted the dark sunglasses. "Always."

Benny continued to grip the steering wheel. Then she sighed, glanced at him, and scooted a little closer on the seat. "And before you say it, I'll be careful too. Just go to school, study, and work at the coffee shop." She reached over cautiously and brushed a strand of dark hair from his face. "I'll miss taking care of you."

He laughed and grabbed her hand. "I doubt that. Think of the freedom. You don't have to babysit a puking vampire every night." But instead of hearing her laughter, he smelled fear, felt her body trembling on the seat next to him. "You gonna be OK, Benny?" He released her hand.

She looked up at him with tears in her big brown eyes. "I'm just hoping this works. We need this to work."

"It'll work. Have faith, OK? I promise, the next time you see me, I'll still be your overbearing brother."

"You better."

He grinned, but she didn't smile back.

Instead, her finger pointed to his button down shirt. "Jack, you were hurt last night with the stake. Let me see it."

"There's nothing to see. I heal quickly. Especially when I get enough blood." But he unbuttoned the shirt to show her his smooth skin with no mark from the stake.

"I'm so sorry, Jack," she whispered.

He was afraid she'd start crying. "Benny, stop apologizing. You did enough of that last night. I'm OK. No harm done, except to the slayer-wannabe." He rebuttoned the shirt.

"I have to admit that I was scared last night. For you...of you."

"I know, and I hate that. But it's like I told you over and over last night-I'd never hurt you. Never ever." He pointed to his head and then his heart. "Not while there was even a scrap of me left in here. After tomorrow, you won't even have to think about it."

12