BloodBorne Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Telling?"

"You seem more compliant when orders are thrown at you."

"You are such an-"

"Liam we need you and Xan downstairs."

Liam turned toward the closed door and sighed in frustration. How much had Alexis heard? He hadn't even bothered to knock on the door. "We'll be down in a minute, Lex."

"Now, Liam."

Liam walked to the door and ripped it open, prepared to shout at his badly timed brother, but only sighed when he caught a glimpse of him turning the corner. "We'd better go before he starts yelling."

"He doesn't seem like the type to yell," Xan murmured as she searched for her shoes. The thoughts running through her mind her painful and complicated. While she felt for Liam, she was sure that there was nothing for them in the future. They fought too much and made it a point to hit where it hurt when they argued. He also said himself that he'd planned on walking away once she and Xion were safe. But now that they'd had sex, there seemed to be a change within him; he wanted more and made it quite clear that he was ready to fight for it. She wondered if this newfound change in him was a result of some traditionally based guilt he felt for deflowering her. There was nothing to be guilty about; he didn't steal her virginity; she willingly gave it to him. But then again she was also under the impression that she was comforting him and giving into the curious needs of her body. So did that mean that she used him? She'd essentially taken what she wanted from him without any regard to giving in return. Well, she did give him something, just not the something he seemed to want.

Liam watched the scowl on Xan's face intensify as she shoved her feet into her shoes. What the hell was she thinking about? Him, he concluded when she glared at him. He wondered if the reason for her anger was his feelings or hers. He could have broached the subject better, he realized; they had, after all, just gotten into another row. Liam supposed that he could give her some time to work out her feelings; Sherlaine was a top priority. "Left," he corrected when she stormed out of the room. He smiled as he followed her; he saw the faint flush of embarrassment that dominated her cheeks. It was best to remain quiet; they'd just had two arguments in ten minutes. If he expected to make it through the night without another row, he'd remember to keep his mouth shut.

The quick journey to the kitchen revealed Xion seated at the island furiously sketching. There was a large bowl of grapes in front of her and every thirty seconds or so, she plucked one and popped it into her tiny mouth. "Where is everyone?" Liam asked. Before Xion could answer, he heard Draco call him from the solarium. He smiled at Xion when she looked up at him in surprise and it was then he noticed the cords associated with headphones intermingled with her long hair. One small wave and a shove from Xan later, he'd entered the solarium to find his brothers convened. Alexis barely glanced at them as he pushed his cellular phone into his pocket. "What happened?"

"We've been hitting the books," Roman answered, displaying a large leather bound book. "There are apparently lots of different keys out there, Xan; keys that unlock any lock any where, keys that decipher codes, even keys that can open any portal to any dimension."

"There are also keys that can allow you to time travel," Alexis added.

Xan sat down as she contemplated the information she was given. "So I'm guessing that Sherlaine is shooting for the big guns. It's either the dimension thing or time travel." She inhaled a nervous breath when Alexis nodded. "But which of the two are you banking on?"

"Time travel," Andrae announced as he glared at Alexis. "He'd want to change what happened the night he was banished."

"Why change what happened when he could just open the door to whatever cage he's locked in?" Alexis argued.

"Wait, who are we talking about?" Xan asked.

"Zaide," the twins answered.

"Who the hell is Zaide? I thought we were going after Sherlaine."

"Zaide was Sherliane's boss. The big bad who made our lives a living hell," Liam sighed. He walked over to the fireplace and crossed his arms over his chest as he continued, "Long story short, the son of a bitch kidnapped our sisters and forced our brother to choose which one would live."

"Nadia?" Xan asked curiously.

"Yes, she was the one who died." Liam couldn't look into Xan's eyes as he relived the memory of seeing Nadia's lifeless body. "We managed to get him banished to another dimension, but no one knows which exactly."

"Which is why Sherlaine wants they key," Alexis concluded. "He wants to set Zaide free."

"He wouldn't need to set anyone free if he went back into the past and got Zaide out of dodge before we got rid of him," Andrae argued again. "With all of the information he has, he'd simply have to warn Zaide of what would happen."

"And he would flee before he had a chance to kill Nadia, is that what you think?"

"It makes sense, Lex," Andrae replied, an air of desperation in his voice.

Alexis sat quietly for a moment, staring at his brother. "You really think that Sherlaine would risk changing a vital piece of history when all he would have to do is open a door and let Zaide out of a cage?"

"Dude, we all miss her," Draco murmured, "But you have to admit that Alexis' theory makes more sense."

"What the fuck would you know?" Andrae railed. "The love of your life is standing right fucking next to you. If you had any idea what I went through-"

"We're not saying your theory isn't plausible," Roman mollified, "But don't you think that he'd stick to what he knows best and use the easiest option? He terrorized her because it was the easiest way to get to us."

"So you're taking his side."

"There are no sides to be taken," Alexis stated. "You have your opinions, and I have mine. Your unrelenting need to get her back is clouding your judgment."

"Fuck you and your opinions," Andrae spat as he shimmered out of the room.

There was a dark moment of silence in the room that made Xan uncomfortable. She was aware that this Nadia meant a lot to the family, but she wasn't aware of how much. "She wasn't just his sister, was she?"

"She was our sister," Liam corrected, "But his woman." Liam felt his chest tighten at the low whine that came from the far end of the room. Euan, in canine form, sat sadly in the corner, clearly affected by the devastation rippling through everyone.

"He was going to propose, you know." Roman stated. When everyone turned to look at him in shock, he nodded sadly. "Yeah, right after we'd gotten rid of Zaide. He got piss drunk one night and showed me the ring. Really pretty blue diamond."

"He always liked it when she wore blue," Draco murmured.

"Why go through all the trouble if he could have just done a Chystla?" Liam asked.

"What's a Chystla?" Xan inquired.

"Life bonding ceremony," Roman answered. He turned to Liam and said, "He wanted to give her a real wedding. Show her that she could still be human even if she was part of our life." With a glance toward Alexis he murmured, "He was planning to ask you to stand beside the priest and perform the Chystla during the ceremony."

Xan sighed at the heaviness of emotion that had taken over the room. All she knew about Nadia was what she heard, and from what she heard, the woman had left an impression on each of the men that would never fade. Their hurt would not ease until they last drew breath.

"As I was saying," Alexis said after clearing his throat, "The particular key Sherlaine is looking for will open any portal he wants."

The abrupt change of subject forced Liam out of his thoughts. "So he thinks that by getting Xan, she'll cough up the location." He turned to her, determined to keep from allowing his emotions from distracting him. "Can you think of anywhere your mother could have hidden this key?"

"This particular key, like most that are so powerful, was hidden in plain sight," Alexis announced. He stared at Xan, noting the confusion that contorted her features. He ignored Liam's profanity filled demand that he explain himself as he said, "Ingenious, really. There's nothing she'd protect better."

"Alexis, can you fill us in?" Roman asked apprehensively.

"Sherlaine was never looking for an object, was he?" Xan asked breathlessly. She was held prisoner by Alexis' intent gaze, unsure of the information he'd silently given her.

"He was looking for you, Xan."