Blue Eyes Crying

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,715 Followers

"No they didn't. Mark went out with Mary a few times but he never dated Susan. They didn't start dating till they were in college," exclaimed Emmy.

"Are you saying that Mary didn't marry Mark?"

"Duh, that's exactly what I'm saying. He married Susan last year."

"What about Mary? Did she marry that tall guy next to her?"

"No silly, that's her brother. He graduated in 1954. That's his wife Alice next to him. Boy you sure have been away a long time John."

"Four years in the army and when I got home I started working and going to school. I guess I missed all the local gossip. Does Mary have a steady or is she married?"

"Mary is probably the biggest mystery of our class. She dated Mark in high school but stopped after he broke his leg. Not sure exactly why. Some say it was over another guy. I think it's something Mark did at the time. Anyway, she went away to the university and earned a teaching degree. She teaches at the elementary school down the street here."

"So what about her dating?"

"I've talked to Mary a lot of times. She is the sweetest and most personable woman I know, not to mention one of the prettiest. I asked her one time why she never married or had a serious relationship. She told me she dated some very nice guys but didn't love any of them. Then she told me that she was waiting for the one that God chose for her.

"I know Mary is not a nut case. She is really waiting for this chosen person, whoever he is. I can tell you he will be the luckiest man on earth. She has told me time and time again that he'll be back. She must know who it is. Anyway, John, I'd better get back to my table. Have fun at the reunion."

"Thanks for all the updates Emmy. Too bad you're already taken," I said and grinned at Emmy, who just waved as she walked away.

*****

I looked over at Mary lying on the bed, beaming as I was telling her the story.

"It was you John. You were the one that I was waiting for to come back. I prayed to God every day to keep you safe so you would come back to me. My parents told me you came to the house while I was away at college. It was then that I felt you were the one."

I leaned over and kissed her lightly. I held her hands and kissed them too. It was dinnertime so Mary and I went into the dining room and ate together. I never missed a night having a meal with Mary. I guess old habits never die. The nursing staff would always smile when they saw us together at the table.

The food was okay but didn't hold a candle to my Mary's cooking. On Sundays, we would go to the church service at the nursing home and then I would take Mary to either Donna or Kim's for dinner. It also gave Mary a chance to see the grandkids. When Mike would come down with his wife and two kids, it was like having a family reunion.

We were one very loving happy family. I always gave the credit to Mary, because she just seemed to know how to handle most every situation. When the kids were little, she taught them about life and true moral values. No matter what questions they asked, even about sex, she would answer them in a very loving and honest way.

I always considered myself the grouch. Even Mary would tell me to be happy and less grouchy. Life was too short to be unhappy. I always thought I was stern with the kids but Mary told me many times that they had me wrapped around their little fingers.

Even today, I seem to let them have their way. Thank god, they take after their mother.

After Sunday dinner and visiting with the grandkids, I would take Mary back to the nursing home. I could tell she was always tired and happy to be in her bed, but she never complained.

Up until the last week, I would tuck Mary in, go home and try to get some rest myself. I would be up early and have breakfast, clean up a little and then head over to the home to spend the day with her.

We would go for little walks around the grounds, play a few board games or listen to some of the entertainment from groups that would visit there. We always had to get Mary back to her room in time to see her soaps. I would do my crossword puzzles.

Mary had lots of visitors. Even some of our old classmates and kids that she had taught would stop by. Every day some friend of hers would drop in for a visit. I had to laugh a few times after someone would leave and Mary would ask me who it was. I would explain something about that person and tell Mary how she had affected their life.

*****

Now I continued telling her parts of our past, just as she loved to hear.

I looked across the floor and approached the group standing there. I saw Mark look up at me. He didn't look overly happy but it did make Mary turn toward me.

"John, I knew you would come." Mary came to me and wrapped her arms around me. I held her tight, not wanting to let her go.

"Mary, it's so good to see you. To say I missed you would be an understatement." We stopped hugging which I already missed as Mary introduced me to everyone.

"You know Mark." I nodded, trying to be friendly.

"This is Susan. She was a cheerleader, same as me. She and Mark were married last year. I'm so happy for them. This big guy here is my older brother, Tim. Alice here is his wife. Tim, this is my friend John."

I shook Tim's hand and said hi to Alice. Mark and Susan said they were going to walk around and catch up with some of the other classmates. I stood there holding Mary's hand.

We all talked for a few minutes, but I never let go of Mary's hand. I knew Tim noticed but didn't say anything. I learned that Tim and Alice had been married for five years and had two kids. Tim worked in middle management in a manufacturing firm. For now, Alice was a stay at home mother.

I told Mary that I had talked to Emmy. "Oh, then you already know I'm a teacher," said Mary, and we all laughed.

A couple announcements came over the audio system. "Welcome everyone to the reunion of the classes of 1954 and 1959." A big round of applause went up.

"We would like a minute of silence as we announce the names of the class members who are no longer with us. The reading will be followed by a chime for each member."

The speaker began and I heard the name of one of my friends. Mary told me he was killed in Vietnam along with two of the other twelve names mentioned. After the chimes, everyone was back to normal and the music started. I was still holding Mary's hand and asked her to dance with me.

We went out to the dance floor and just seemed to belong together. I told her how much I missed her and thought about her daily. That was when she told me she always prayed for my safety.

I held her close on the dance floor. She felt so good I never wanted to let her go. One guy from our class tapped me on the shoulder and wanted to dance with Mary. I looked over at him and shook my head.

"Sorry buddy, she's mine." We kept on dancing and I received that beautiful smile from Mary.

"Will you be my date for tonight Mary? How about forever?" I was trying to be a little funny.

"I'd love to," said Mary.

"Is that for tonight or forever?"

"Let's start with tonight and see how it goes," she said and laughed.

After a few slow dances, we sat at a table with Amy and her husband Gregg. Amy was one of Mary's best friends, at least back in high school. Gregg was a couple of years older than we were and graduated from another high school.

Ted and Alice plus some friends of theirs were also at the table. Mary made all the introductions. Amy looked at me and said, "I remember you. I always thought you had the most beautiful blue eyes. Remember Mary, how you told me you were attracted to him because of his eyes."

"I never said that," Mary responded, embarrassed.

"Yes you did," said Amy with a grin. "It was when he was jogging by us during cheerleader practice. You said, and I quote, 'He has the most gorgeous blue eyes. You should see them up close. He sits next to me in homeroom', remember?"

"Thank you, both. I wish I had known about your conversations way back then." I raised an eyebrow and laughed.

"Oh, she said much more than that but we won't get into it now," said Amy. "Anyway, welcome home John. It is nice to see you back home safely."

We all talked at the table and everyone from our class kept coming over to see Mary and Amy. They were two of the most popular girls in the school. They introduced Gregg and me to just about everyone.

Mary and I got up and danced some more. This time I put my arms around her waist and she put hers around my neck. She looked up at me and I couldn't help myself. I leaned over and kissed her right there on the dance floor. She didn't turn away or stop me in any way. I squeezed her tighter.

We were dancing next to Emmy, the gossip. When she saw us kiss, I heard her say, "Oh my gosh!" Mary looked over at her and Emmy asked. "Is he the one you've been waiting for?"

Mary looked up at me and kissed me again, turned back to Emmy and smiled. "Yes he is."

I was in love. What more can I say. Is it possible to have known someone and then be away for five years, see them again and be in love with them? The answer is a definite yes. I don't care what anyone else thinks or their opinions on the subject. I was in love with Mary.

"Now my hair has turned to silver
All my life I've loved in vain
I can see her star in heaven
Blue eyes crying in the rain"

I stopped talking when I saw that Mary was having a bad day. Her breathing was irregular. I called the girls and told them there was no need to come see their mother today. She probably wouldn't recognize them. They stopped by anyway just to be with me. That's the kind of kids we raised. Thoughtful, wonderful and caring, just like their mother. Looking back on my life, I was a very lucky man.

While we were sitting in the lunchroom, my daughters asked me if I would tell them about the day I proposed to their mother. I know they heard the story a dozen times but they knew I loved telling it also.

"As you know, your mother and I were at the class reunion. I had kissed her a number of times on the dance floor. Believe me, your mother is not the type of person that would normally show affection on the dance floor. I think it surprised everyone that knew her, including your Uncle Tim.

"We sat back down at the table and your mom and Aunt Alice went to the ladies room. I could never understand why women aren't able to go the restroom by themselves."

"Dad, it's just a girl thing," Donna said and laughed. "There's a lot of gossip that goes on in there."

"I was talking with your Uncle Tim while the girls were gone."

"You really like Mary don't you John?" asked Tim.

"I love her Tim. I know it sounds foolish and stupid but I am in love with her."

"She seems to care for you too. I've never seen her carry on with a guy like she has with you today. She's my little sister and I don't ever want to see her get hurt."

"Tim, I would be the last person in the world to hurt her. In fact I'm going to ask her to marry me."

"You're kidding right? You just saw her for the first time in five years. Don't you think that you should get to know each other a little better?"

"Tim, I'm dead serious. I spent the last five years wondering about her. Now I've found her and I don't want to lose her again. Besides, if she says yes, we will have till the wedding for her to change her mind."

"John, not to burst your bubble but I know Mary as well as anyone. I don't think she'll rush into getting married. What if she says no?"

"Then I'll deal with it for now. I don't plan on giving up on her unless she can honestly say she doesn't care for me."

"Good luck John, I really like you and wish you the best. Please, just don't get your hopes up too high. I don't want to see you get hurt either."

The girls were back from the restroom so Tim and I changed the subject. Mary and Alice were both smiling and laughing. Something told me that they might have been talking about me. I went to get drinks for the whole table. While I was gone, Tim asked Mary if she cared for me.

"Yes, I care for him a lot," said Mary.

"Do you love him Mary?" asked Tim.

"You can't ask her something like that. What's gotten into you?" asked Alice.

"I was just wondering. I know he loves her, he told me so and he wants to marry her," said Tim.

"Cut that out, Tim. You're embarrassing Mary."

"Just wondering if she wants to keep it a secret or let the world know her feelings. I guess we'll know soon." Tim just chuckled.

"What does that mean Tim? What are you talking about," asked Mary.

About that time I brought the drinks back to the table and excused myself for a few minutes. The women were talking and Tim watched me walk up to the stage. I could see a smile on his face.

I took the microphone and said, "Excuse me, excuse me please."

It didn't take long for everyone to be quiet. I'm sure they wondered who I was and what I was doing.

"Hi there everyone and welcome to the reunion. I'm John Davis, class of 1959. I'm sure most of you don't know me but I have something to say.

"I fell in love with a woman five years ago. I then spent four years in the army and when I came home, I couldn't locate her. She helped me make it through a very rough and hard four years.

"I cut her picture out of our yearbook and carried it with me in my vest pocket of my uniform."

When I said that, I looked out and saw Mary with an astonished look on her face.

"I came to this reunion here tonight for only one reason, and that was to see her again. I was worried that she might not be here or even worse, be married to someone else. Well, I found her and I want to say in front of everyone here that I truly love her and want her to be my wife."

Gasps went through the crowd but I just kept right on talking.

"Mary Darling, will you marry me? I know what everyone is thinking and I understand any reservations you may have."

I looked over at the table where Mary was sitting. Her mouth opened but nothing came out. Tim was smiling so hard he was almost laughing.

"I told you Mary, now I guess it's up to you to tell everyone your secret decision," whispered Tim.

"Mary, I understand we just met up again tonight. You have to know that I really do love you with all my heart and soul. As far as getting to know each other better, we have a lifetime to learn each other's likes and dislikes.

"We can plan our wedding for any time you like. If you change your mind, please be honest with me and tell me. There is nothing more that I want in life than to see you happy."

People were whispering all through the room. You can just about imagine what everyone must be thinking or saying. Here was Mary Darling, the pride of Eastmoor High. The woman that every guy in class had probably had a crush on at some time in their life.

Then there was me, a transfer in for one year. About all that was known about me before me tonight was that I had pretty blue eyes and to a few, not a guy to mess with.

I stared at Mary from the platform. In fact, at this time all eyes were on Mary. Everyone was waiting to see what this very conservative, levelheaded, smart woman would say to me.

Right then, she stood up and someone handed her a microphone.

"John, this is so sudden, I hardly know what to say."

"Say yes Mary. I believe we were meant to be together. Waiting to ask you in another month or another year would just waste valuable time that we could be together. I learned that our life can be taken at any time, and whatever time I have left, I want to spend with you."

"John, John . . ." I could see that she was looking for the words.

"Mary, if you don't love me, I understand. As I have said, your happiness is all I care about."

"John, this is crazy, I mean it's really crazy . . ." She looked at her brother and Alice, then back up at me. "Yes John Davis, I will marry you." She had tears running down her face.

I leapt off the platform, took her in my arms and kissed her. Everyone around us clapped and shouted. I'm sure her answer surprised them all. We would be the talk of the town for the next six months, most likely.

"Wow, Dad, that is so cool it could be a movie," replied Kim after I finished.

I laughed as we went back in the room and they kissed their mother and told her they loved her and went home. I turned on the TV to her programs even though she was fast asleep and worked on my crossword puzzles.

I sat there reminiscing about the reunion some more. After she'd said yes, Tim stood up and gave me a hug and said "You have some real gonads John; welcome to the family."

For the rest of the night, everyone came over to congratulate us. A few even asked if they could have a dance with Mary. She smiled at me and I knew it would be okay. I then danced with their wives. I think they were trying to find out more about me. It ended up being one hell of a great reunion.

****

Mary woke up and wanted me to tell her more.

I took Mary home; she had ridden in with Tim and Alice. It was late and I promised her I would be over the next day to help explain things to her parents.

"This is the craziest thing I have ever done, but I really do love you John. I guess I always have, though I never acted on it except for that kiss at graduation."

We kissed a few times and Mary went into the house. My parents were watching TV when I got home. After I told them I was getting married, they were totally flabbergasted. We sat there for the next hour and I told them the whole story about what happened at the reunion.

"It sounds crazy John, but if this is what you want, we're behind you. How about bringing over our future daughter-in-law so we can see what gave you mad cow disease," my dad said and laughed.

"I'm going to go talk with her parents tomorrow and then we'll stop by so you can meet her. You're going to love her."

"I'm sure we will John," said my mother. "Any woman that can make you feel this happy is welcome here."

The next morning, I called Mary to find out if it was still okay to come over. She answered the phone.

"Hi John, it's been quite the morning. I told my parents about last night and they asked me how I could be so stupid. I did my best to explain that I love you and that you will be by today. Tim and Alice are coming over later too. I figure we need all the help we can get to convince them that we aren't crazy."

"I'm sorry that I caused so much trouble. I'll do my best to explain. I'm sure they will understand."

"It was my answer that caused the problem. I think mom understands but we have to work on my dad. I'll see you around noon. Oh, mom invited you over for dinner, so you'd better love pot roast. By the way John, after thinking about it all night; my answer is still yes."

I showed up right on time. Mr. Darling invited me in but didn't seem too friendly at the moment. Just then, Mary came into the room and gave me a light hug and kiss. She introduced me to her dad and then to her mother when she joined us.

I could see where Mary got her beautiful looks but I figured Mrs. Darling heard that a thousand times. Mary and I sat down on the sofa and held hands while talking to her parents.

I went through the whole story of how I'd thought about Mary for the last five years, then told them everything I mentioned at the reunion the night before. I was being as honest and sincere as I could be.

"Mr. Darling, I love Mary. Maybe it's hard to understand but I want Mary in my life as my wife, but only if she loves me."

"John, you seem a nice enough man but Mary is our only daughter and our pride and joy. We want the best for her," said Mr. Darling.

"Sir, so do I. There is nothing that I wouldn't do for her."

"Why the rush then son? Can't the two of you date for a while and see what you have in common before making such a big decision?"

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,715 Followers