Boneshaker

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Frustration broke her patience. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and let loose. "I wend down into that marsh to apologize to the woman I attacked and when I got there, therewasno mist!"

Kerion froze. "What do you mean there was no mist?"

Finally.

She swallowed. "The marsh was empty. There was nothing but bog and dead trees and human souls."

Kerion pulled back, his eyes wide and fearful. "Oh. Oh, no."

"Kerion?" Lucifer's melodic voice slid seductively into her mind.

"It's become a doppelganger."

"WHAT?!" Lucifer's roar knocked her off guard and shook loose stones from the ceiling.

"A doppelganger? What does that have to do with the mist?" She managed to keep her gaze off Lucifer, despite her body's craving to stare at him again.

"Claire, do you know what a doppelganger is?" Kerion turned to her.

She nodded. "It's a mimic, isn't it? It's a spectral copy of a person that's mischievous."

"Exactly. Usually, doppelgangers are no more harmful than poltergeists. Simple, playful spirits that scare and shock, but don't so any damage. However, the mist isn't so carefree and gentle. It's much more vicious, as I'm sure you've seen."

She nodded, suddenly cold from the memory of being under its spell.

"The doppelganger from it has is the only way is can cross the barriers we've placed around it. We're not sure why, but we think it's because our barriers only sense one type of magic. Taking on the form of another creature, its signature changes and renders the barriers useless."

She nodded shakily. "So, it's taken another form. Why can't catch it?"

"The issue remains in the fact that the mist can take on whatever form it chooses," Lucifer chimed in. "Unlike true doppelgangers, the mist has no set image it must abide to. It can choose any form it wants. We're not as gifted as you are, miss Harding, so we have no idea what body it's chosen. At this point, we're at a severe disadvantage."

She chewed her lip for a moment, the flood of information slowly sinking in. the mist, with its new form, was wandering the halls searching for her. But without knowing what body it had chosen, they had no idea where to start.

"Well, I am linked to it in a way. Maybe I can find it." A spark of hope began to blossom in her chest.

Kerion's shook his massive head. "I don't know, Claire. With its power having been changed into something different, evenyoumay not be able to recognize it."

The bubble of hope burst immediately, sending her scowling at the floor.

"Perhaps shecouldfind it, Kerion." Lucifer's voice once again caught her attention. "The mist seems unusually, shall we say, attracted to her. She might be able to lure it out."

Kerion shook his head again. "It might work, but I'm not willing to risk that. If Claire does manage to bait it out to where we can reach it, it might lash out and capture her again. We can't take that gamble."

Lucifer's expression darkened a bit. Claire's stomach twisted around itself. His annoyance at Kerion's refusal to throw her out into the wild made her feel beyond uncomfortable. Her grandmother's warnings about his ruthlessness and sadism seemed true enough here.

"Kerion, it would be the easiest way to capture it. If we used the girl-"

"But that would put her own life at risk. She's not a wandering soul, she's still alive. Sending her out there would make her a perfect target."

"Yes, but what other choice do we have? Without her, we have no idea where it's going or who it's after. We need her to lure it out or we're fighting blind."

"I can't let her go out there again. It's already broken her once. Who's to say she'll survive a second round?"

Their argument made her head spin. Her frustration reared its head again, demanding she return to her lovers. At least there she could find both safety and a universal consensus onsomething.Sighing, she turned and approached Kerion, throwing her arms around his head and kissing his soft fur.

"I have to go. I need to go back and make sure Thaltos and the others are safe."

Kerion stared at her. "Claire! You can't go out there! The mist will find you for certain, and there's no guarantee we can save you a second time."

She rolled her eyes. "And what else am I supposed to do? Stay here listening to you two bicker like schoolgirls while the rest of Hell is being stalked by an unknown evil cloud of shit?"

Kerion stayed silent, rendered speechless by her argument.

She nodded. "Good. Now, I'm going. You can stay here and sort this out yourselves, but I need to go and make sure my boys are safe." She crossed her arms and planted her feet, signaling that the argument had ended.

Defeated, Kerion nodded. "Very well. But please don't go by yourself. I wouldn't stand myself if anything happened to you on your way back." He turned to Lucifer. "Sire, could you perhaps..."

Oh no.

Lucifer's smile was ecstatic. "Of course. I'd be happy to accompany the girl on her journey back. We may even be able to bond a bit on our walk." His eyes glowed with mischief.

Shit.

Claire had finally decided she no longer like Lucifer, despite his hypnotic gaze. His enthusiasm and constant stare made her want to shift into one of Kerion's small children and hide in the cracks of the walls. Hesitantly, she nodded and hugged Kerion again.

"Thank you so much. I owe you my life," she whispered.

Kerion's front legs wrapped around her and pulled her close. "Ah, Claire. You owe us nothing. We were saving someone all of us honestly cared about. Don't you worry about that."

She smiled and squeezed him tight before pulling away. "Still, I feel I owe you something. Please give my thanks to your children as well. Will you be okay here?"

Kerion waved a slender leg at her, an attempt to brush aside her worry. "My children and I will be safe. We'll regroup the guards and explain the situation. You go with Lucifer and stay with your keepers."

She nodded, hesitantly turning to look at Lucifer. "Ready to go?"

The old demon wore a soft smile. "Of course." He stepped forward, stopping just inches from her body. Icy coldness radiated from his skin, chilling her flesh and temporarily rendering her mind blank.

One strong arm looped around her shoulders. "I'll watch over her, Kerion. Miss Harding and I will be just fine." He looked down at her and gave an impious grin. "Won't we?"

She swallowed loudly and nodded, forcing a tight smile to her lips.

"Sire, I don't mean to give orders, but we truly don't have time for games," Kerion warned. "Claire must be returned to her keepers as quickly as possible if we're going to have a chance at fighting this thing. Please, sire, I beg you. Don't take any more time than is necessary."

Lucifer's eyes never left her. "Stop worrying, Kerion. Miss Harding and I will be completely fine. She'll get back. I swear it." His grin widened an inch.

Shoving her fear and discomfort down into her gut, she squirmed out from under Lucifer's hold and side-stepped away from the old demon. "Come on. We have to go. I'm starting to get paranoid about them."

Lucifer bowed, gracefully motioning to her to lead the way.

She nodded and began to walk down the twisting hallway with Lucifer close behind. Suddenly self-conscious, Claire wrapped her arms around herself and stared at the ground. Out of curiosity, she peered over her shoulder to see Kerion scurrying up the stone wall towards the ceiling. An endless line of tiny spiders trailed behind him.

She smiled to herself and resumed glaring at the ground. She could feel Lucifer's presence beside her, but she refused to look at him. His gaze was far too hypnotic, his body far too enticing, for her to risk another peek at him.

"So. You're Thaltos' girl?"

She jumped an inch. She'd been hoping for a silent walk that avoided any type of communication with him. "Yes."

"You enjoy your time with him?"

"I enjoy my time with all of them?"

"Oh?" His curiosity made him far more intrusive. "And who else owns you?"

"Silthos and Darrow." She tried to keep her answers short, hoping to bore him out of his inquisition.

"Ah, yes. A quiet one and a spitfire. What a curious combination you have there."

She sighed and hugged herself tighter. "Well, they're what I've got and I wouldn't trade them for anything?"

"Anything?" His voice was beyond inquisitive, becoming almost challenging.

Shit.

She knew where this was going and she intended to stop it now. "No. I love who I have now. I wouldn't want anyone else, no matter how amazing they are."

"Quite stubborn, aren't you?" His voice had turned humorous.

"I suppose it takes one to know one," she snapped.

"Don't." Lucifer's tone had taken on another sudden change. This time it was menacing.

"Don't what?"

"Chastise me like that. I've already had one bitch crush my balls. I don't need you doing it as well." He spoke through gritted teeth, his fury almost palpable.

Her annoyance at him finally burst forth. "Well, maybe that was a good thing. Hopefullyshemanaged to deflate your ego a bit and put you in your place."

Claire continued walking, scowling at the ground as she mulled his ego-fueled inquiries over in her head. God, that creature was beyond annoying! Selfish, irritating, and anything but humble. It was a wonder he didn't drive the other demons here insane.

She noticed from the corner of her eye that Lucifer no longer walked beside her. She slowed her pace, confusion starting to sink in. Taking a risk, she peeked over her shoulder. Lucifer stood about thirty feet back, his eyes blazing and his mouth twisted into a tight scowl. His night-black wings twitched restlessly.

He crooked a finger at her. "Come here," he growled.

She froze, barely able to breath. He looked so outraged, so menacing, she wondered why he hadn't just killed her now.

"I said come here." His eyes narrowed to gold slits.

She shook her head, fear now coursing thick through her veins. She took a tentative step backwards, trying to put some distance between them.

A low growl escaped his throat. "Miss Harding, you have ten seconds to haul your skinny mortal ass over here before I come get you myself."

Panic ensnared her, forcing her to turn and take off down the hall. She didn't get far. Cold fingers looped around her wrist, jerking her backwards and forcing her off balance. She stumbled backwards into Lucifer's immovable form, wincing when his grip on her wrist tightened. He stepped forward, forcing her against the cold stone of the wall. Her cheek and breasts were crushed against the unforgiving stone, her body pinned in place by Lucifer's impossibly strong body.

His chest pressed against her back, holding her in place against the cold stone of the hallway. He leaned close, nuzzling his cheek against her neck and growling into her ear, she shivered and whimpered, closing her eyes so she wouldn't have to see him.

"You've seen our world, you know how it works. The good go up into paradise, the bad go down into the fire, and the rest of them stay here in this cold, desolate pit. You know this, yes?"

She nodded, keeping her eyes closed.

"The Fire Pits are where my demon lords live, the ones who control the realms of hell that deal with the sins of man. I watched over one of their daughters while she chose a husband. She was beautiful, like you. Intelligent, like you. Strong, like you. But she was by far more ferocious and much more outspoken. She was the one who put my balls in a vice to get her way. The bitch even slapped me across the face!"

He pressed harder against her, forcing her to wince as her body was crushed against the wall.
"And now I haveyoubeing a smart-ass to me and trying to force your hand. I don't need that."

He gripped her shoulders, spinning her around to face him. His golden eyes speared through her, glaring at her with a ferocity she'd never seen before. She bit her lip instinctively, squeezing her eyes shut and wishing him away.

A strong hand gripped her chin, forcing her head up. "Kara's already fucked me over. I don't need your snappy little comments added to the misery she gives me already. Now stay still and be quiet."

She clamped her jaw closed and stared up at him, her heart pounding in her ears. She was terrified of him, even fearing for her life now. But he still had that strange appeal to him. That distinct, unearthly allure that nearly made her forget his ferocity and the power he held.

He smiled at her wickedly. "Good girl. At least you listen." He leaned close, inhaling her scent and grinning to himself. "And you smell delicious."

Her gut twisted. As bad as it was being chased down by a vengeful mist that's taken on an unknown form, but having Lucifer inhaling her scent and looking ready to devour her was far more frightening.

He purred in her ear. "And you look just as appetizing. I wonder..."

His free hand slid behind her head, fingers twisting in her hair and holding her completely still. He pounced, crushing her lips against his in a scorching but n=unwanted kiss. She squealed, horrified, and tried to squirm away, but his body pinned her tightly against the stone walls and kept her immobile.

A thick tongue, slick and warm, gently pressed against her lips trying to work its way into her mouth. She tried to keep her mouth closed, but his persistence paid off. His tongue slipped into her mouth, twisting and teasing, trying to coax a more acceptable response from her body.

It worked slightly. Her body followed its own course, her back arching to force her breasts against his icy skin. Her belly stirred with heat, and an ache started between her legs. Her body burned for him suddenly, wanting nothing more than to hold this darkly beautiful creature and to feel him ravaging her.

Her mind and heart, however, started gathering ammo for their rebellion. She couldn't want Lucifer! That monster had every quality and feature she hated in men. She had Darrow, Silthos and Thaltos who loved her and risked their lives for her. Lucifer simply trapped her in a hallway and forced himself on her.

No, she would not fall to him. She had people who truly cared for her. People she loved far too much to risk sleeping with the darkest of fallen angels.

Her heart set, Claire did her best to fight back, clawing at his back and squirming against his rigid frame. Her struggles were useless, though, only doing enough damage to draw out a muffled laugh from his throat. His chiding laughter finally broke her control. Glaring at him, she bit down hard on his invading tongue, hoping the pain would send him running.

Luckily, it worked. Golden eyes shot open as he groaned in pain. Lucifer pulled away, cupping a hand to his mouth as he stumbled back. She stood against the wall watching him, her body aching to run but her fear welding her to the floor. His eyes flicked to her, full of outrage and disbelief.

"Damn bitch," he hissed. "You'll pay for that."

Her flight response kicked in, sending her racing down the hall. She never once looked back, staring straight ahead as she wound her way through the twisting corridor. Her heart wanted to give out, her lungs wanted to burst, her legs wanted to crumble beneath her. But her mind forced her body on, promising it the pleasures of her lovers if it kept moving. She picked up her pace, taking a sharp turn as she exited the corridor and burst into the main hall.

Tears streamed from her eyes, the guilt, anger and humiliation twisting in her gut. She knew Lucifer's kiss was forced, making her faultless, but still! A shiver of disgust stalled her body for an instant. It would take days of eating her favorite beef and rice dish to scrape his taste from her mouth.

She shook her head, clearing her mind of any residual thoughts of that hateful kiss or Lucifer's unnerving allure. She had better things to do. Better people to be with, really. She straightened herself and began to make her way down the enormous hallway, taking care to peer over her shoulder every few minutes in case Lucifer' had decided to chase her down.

Again, the hall remained curiously empty. Even the bog was sparsely inhabited, with only a few shadowy spirits darting in and out from the shadows. Now armed with the knowledge that the mist had gotten free, the emptiness seemed more chilling and unsettling than before. Instead or reveling in the few precious moments of silence, she saw the hollowness and absence of life as a warning, an omen of tragedy.

She continued down the hall, lost in her thoughts. She hoped the guards had warned Thaltos and the others soon enough. She hoped they were safe, barricaded by the thick stone walls of their room. Once back, she hoped her own fears and anxieties would be gone as well. After all, where could she be safer than in her room, surrounded by the three demons ho loved her?

A sudden chill snapped her out of her musings. It wasn't the winter winds that whipped through the hall. Nor was it palpable like Lucifer's frozen touch. It was a cold that made her soul shiver and her heart ache. A deep, restless iciness that clogged her thoughts and rendered her soul motionless.

Suddenly, whispers invaded her mind. Cold, dark, menacing thoughts from a mind that was not her own. Thoughts that twisted her gut and squeezed her heart.

The girl...hungry...find her lovers...old wretch...kill...girl is weak, won't fight long...

Oh no.

Claire took off down the hall, her once-frozen body now bursting to life. She could hear the mist, evenfeelit now. Its new form had done nothing to disguise the connection they shared. If anything, their link had become enhanced. She could read its thoughts clearer, know its intentions sooner than before.

It was heading for her home, hunting her lovers with frightening precision.

Anger boiled in her blood. No, it wouldnottake her lovers. It would not harm her predecessor. It would not have her. She would fight it this time, and she'd give it everything she had. Her brow furrowed in anger. Damn that creature.

Weak, am I?

With her fury fueling her strength, Claire took off down the main hall again, using her heart to follow the icy trail of darkness. She'd find it before any damage could be done, and she'd kill it this time. Her lovers would be safe again, and she could finally find peace in this world of restlessness and pain.

We'll see how weak I am.

She raced down the hall, her heart burning and her soul hard as stone. Yes, they'd all see exactly how weak she was.

***

What Claire didn't see was the figure watching her from deep within the shadows of the enormous hallway, his body barely outlined by the soft light of the stone sconces. His golden eyes peered out from the blackness, narrowing as her watched her run. His tongue still throbbed slightly. That woman had one hell of a bite.

Lucifer scoffed. He desired and despised women equally. Damn them for eternally tempting and rejecting him. Especially this one. Kara was tempting enough, but her husband and sons worked well as excuses to avoid him. This Claire, however, was still technically open prey.

Damn women. She and Kara, both. I suppose I'll have to find a way to break them down slowly. Not even Kara can resist temptation for that long. This girl should be much easier though. She's not as experienced, but she's just as fun.

"Sire?" Kerion's voice interrupted his musings.

"Yes?"

"Did the girl make it back safely?" The enormous spider slowly crept down the wall beside him, eight eyes shining in the firelight.

Lucifer nodded. "She's on her way now."

"Now? But she should have been home...oh, sire. You'll never learn, will you?"

A smirk crossed his perfect lips. "I suppose not."