BOOK 3 - Myth Ch. 02

Story Info
Ashana.
5.4k words
4.86
3.3k
2

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/29/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SofBlack
SofBlack
401 Followers

NORRIX

Norrix zipped his bag closed and hefted it to his shoulder with a grunt. He didn't need much—a couple changes of clothes, and human identification, just in case. The bag was still heavy though, with currency for Ashana.

He met Stryx and Ember in the garage and drove the short distance to the airfield where the Vitiate kept their jet in the on-property hangar. It was easier to have their own transportation, given the unpredictability of commercial flights, and the off-the-beaten-track places they needed to go.

It didn't get more off-the-beaten-track than Ashana—the Shrouded Place. A zone only 'sort of' in this world 'sometimes'. The gateways opened for those who held a key, which could only be obtained in Ashana.

Glowing silver with strygoi magic Ember walked around the jet with him for his pre-flight check, and stood behind him keeping one hand on his shoulder in the cockpit. She bombarded him with questions about how to fly the plane. Probably to distract him, and he almost relaxed.

He needed further distraction after take-off as they flew west, over the ocean and into the sun. Into. The. Sun. "It would help me know what to look for if you could describe Musette's symptoms more fully."

"Musette's magic feels wrong. I don't know how to explain it. I never touched her magic before, so I don't know what's changed about it. We killed all the spiders feeding on her, but she still can't wake up or remember what happened after we were separated."

"Could it be something to do with her becoming strygoi like you? Maybe her magic is changing too quickly, or the process started too soon?"

She shook her head. "No, my magic welcomed the strygoi magic. They wove together without fighting. I don't think the process is meant to hurt or cause Musette to go into a coma." Her voice turned cold and the hand on his shoulder curled into a fist. "It has to be something that mage did."

"But when your magic changed, you and Stryx had already bonded, right? Forgive me for saying so, but I've seen strygoi magic act... Let's call it erratically before. Maybe it jumped the gun this time and is trying to change Musette 's magic before she's bonded with Idris?"

"I suppose it's possible, but if she wakes up strygoi, that means witches can become strygoi without needing a vampire to kick start the process. Selene seems sure that's not possible."

"She also said things are changing, would happen fast, and the magic could be adapting." Stryx joined them, keeping his hands well away from the controls. "What if instead of combining with Musette's magic its trying to turn her into something else? You said you have a third sister, what if since your other sister isn't here, instead of Fate the magic wants Musette to be Death?"

"Musette can't help the magic if it kills her. I don't think that's it. It felt more, I don't know, confused, I guess. Not right, but not malicious. Idris wouldn't give her blood and venom before because she couldn't consent. She hadn't even met him. But they're in my Draga space now. Maybe she'll want to bond with him and that's what will wake her up." She grinned. "I hope Idris likes ice cream. He's going to be watching her eat a lot of it."

"We'll keep looking." Stryx put his hands on her shoulders.

Ember let her head fall back against Stryx's chest. "I know. I wish I could do something instead of just waiting. I wasn't good at waiting before I became War, now I want to use my sword on everything." She heaved a sigh and changed the subject. "What can you tell us about Ashana, Norrix?"

"Ashana is Las Vegas for the Other World."

"Where is it? Close to Port Storm?"

"No one knows where Ashana itself is, only where to find a gate to get there. It's a sort of vortex between worlds." Norrix checked the sky around them and his gauges. "We're high enough. Sit down and put your seat belts on. Sometimes there's turbulence when the gate opens."

Keeping her hand on Norrix's arm, Ember sat in the copilot seat. Stryx buckled her in and took the jump seat behind her. "How did people get there before airplanes?"

"When the world wasn't so crowded the portals could open on the ground. They still can in some places, but they require a lot of space. Activating a key when there isn't enough room burns the key out and can trap you in between. The easiest way to open the gate now is high in the sky, away from everything and everyone."

Norrix removed a simple, metal key from his pocket, inserted it into an imaginary keyhole and turned it left. A thunk, the sound of a huge tumbler in a lock turning, shook the plane and the air in front of them shimmered, black on the other side.

"Hold on." He piloted the jet into the portal and waited for the reactions as Ashana came into view. It resembled a large island floating in the air. A single, tall, building rose from a confused landscape. A volcano loomed in one corner, lava flowing down one side to form new land in a boiling ocean. Other parts of Ashana held a jungle, a desert of sand dunes, an ice field of glaciers, a swamp, a lake, a meadow, a range mountains, and a forest.

Stryx only quirked an eyebrow but Ember gasped and leaned forward. "Wow, look at this place! It's incredible. It's day and night at the same time."

"Yes, and this is only part of it. There are underground sections too. And then there's this." Norrix flew lower and banked the jet to the right to give Ember a different angle of view.

"The jungle turned purple! And the ice is all red now."

"All of Ashana can be customized. If someone from another world visits and requires a different atmosphere to breathe, it can do that. This place is amazing for what it can do, but the same thing makes it dangerous. Don't go anywhere in Ashana if you haven't arranged to be there beforehand with the staff, even if you're invited by a guest. Some beings who look human are really something different what is good for them might kill you."

A runway appeared in the middle of the island, bisecting the landscapes. Norrix banked again and lined the plane up with the tarmac.

"You don't have to talk to anyone about arriving or landing the plane?" Stryx asked.

"No. Ashana looks like a place, and it is, but it also seems to be sentient. It can sense what its visitors need and accommodate them. The runway will disappear after we use it, and reappear when someone needs to land or take off. You don't need to protect me here. Wherever vampires go it will be night unless someone has requested daylight to keep vampires out."

"Like at the Mage's auction."

Norrix nodded and taxied the jet to the end of the runway to enter a hangar. He braced himself for what he might see. There was no way to know who would be here. A few other planes were parked inside, along with hot air balloons, a Zeppelin, an enormous mortar and pestle, a throne with empty collared chains, a few chariots, a tornado, several broomsticks, and a red sleigh adorned with bells, nine harnesses on the ground in front of it.

"Is that a UFO? Do witches really ride on brooms? Who does that throne belong to? Are we going to meet a girl with red shoes?" Ember's eyes were huge. "Is that... No, he's not real."

"People don't think vampires or witches are real either," Norrix said, enjoying Ember's reactions. Everything was new to her, and sometimes he wished he literally hadn't already seen it all, that he could have experienced the world and its wonders as a spectator like everyone else rather than a recording.

"But...him?"

"I've met him." Norrix grinned. "I Witnessed his trip around the world once. He's real."

"Perfect." Ember huffed. "Musette is so going to gloat over this. I always told her he was make believe, but she always got one more present every Christmas, from Santa. I always thought our aunt was playing a trick on us. Is there really a reindeer with a red nose?"

"If we have time you can visit the reindeer and the other animals that power the conveyances. They're boarded in the stables."

"Come, my Draga." Stryx stood and held out a hand for Ember. "Norrix does not require you to shield him at the moment and it is dangerous for you to be seen glowing silver here. You must become human and dress."

Norrix and Stryx carried their bags and Norrix led the way into a corridor lined with doors. A uniformed doorman stood at each entry. Norrix passed the first three of them, while they stood still as statues. The fourth man bowed and swept the door open.

"Where did the other doors lead?" Ember asked. "They all look the same."

"Ultimately, the lobby. But this is the human entrance," Norrix said. "The other ways won't work for you. Don't bother trying."

A woman with blue skin and yellow eyes intercepted Norrix as he approached the front desk. She wore sandals that laced up her legs to her knees, and a white, one-shouldered pleated dress that fell to mid-thigh.

"Mr. N! We haven't seen you here in 37,230 days."

"Hello, Clio. I see you've been watching superhero movies. I like your new look. It's kind of a Greek-Mystique thing you've got happening."

She grinned and pointed two index fingers at him like guns. "You saw it here first!"

He grinned back and bowed. "Witnessed." Straightening he made the introductions. "These are my friends, Miss E. and Mr. S. Miss E. and Mr. S., this is Clio, once known as Muse of History. She manages the hotel side of Ashana for human-ish guests and remembers every time any one has checked in under her watch."

"Hi, Clio. It's nice to meet you." Ember offered her hand.

Clio brushed the offer of a handshake aside and hugged Ember instead. "Don't be silly. Any friend of Mr. N.'s is an accomplice, buddy, crony, dearie, enyi, felagi, gwadenya, highbinder, intimate, jocosite, kaibigan, luag, mate, namana, ore, pal, quintessential, rafiki, sidekick, teman, umngani, vriend, worthy, xenophile, yoldas, zanmi of mine." She stopped for breath and glared at Norrix. "You could have interrupted me."

"I like your lists. You even stayed in one alphabet that time."

"But not one language! You know it frustrates me when my lists don't match."

"I apologize. I won't let you finish another list."

"Thank you. Now, what brings you to Ashana? Auctions, bordellos, conferences, dining rooms—" Her eyes glared at Norrix as her lips went on with her list. "—entertainments, fights, gambling—"

"Auctions."

"Only?"

"Yes."

"The preview of items up for bidding starts at eight tomorrow morning. Auctions take place on the 12th, starting at 9am. The time each lot will be up for bids is listed on the display. Do you wish to store your assets, bankroll, capital, dough, exchanges, funds, grubstake—"

"Yes." Norrix stopped her list by holding up his bag and gesturing for Stryx to do the same.

"Follow me to the vault." Clio turned, led the way to a door behind the front desk and held it open as they filed in.

"Don't panic or make any sudden movements," Norrix murmured. "You'll frighten him."

"Frighten who?" Stryx narrowed his eyes at Norrix and stepped closer to Ember.

"I can protect myself." Ember frowned, but interlaced her fingers with his.

Clio smirked as she swung the door closed. When it snicked into place, the lights went out, plunging the space into darkness. The floor shuddered under their feet. Ember let out a muffled whoop and laughed.

A moment later the light returned and a four-legged creature with a long neck that ended in a horned head had joined them. His golden, scaly body had a wing on each side, his hind legs ended in eagle talons, and his front legs were lion-like. His whole body quivered as he bounded towards Norrix.

Ember held a hand to her head. "What happened?" Her eyes widened. "What... who is that?"

"Hello, my friend." Norrix patted the beast's head. "This is Mushkhushshu. You can call him Mush. We've been friends for a long time. He used to take me places to Witness things, now he guards the vault."

Mush leaned into Norrix's touch, rubbing his big head against Norrix's body. When he reached Norrix's boots the dragon snorted and reared away. He eyed Norrix balefully.

"Sorry about that, my friend. We had an Ahuizotl show up at the house this morning. I was showing him around and he chewed on my shoes."

The dragon turned his big head towards Ember. Stryx stiffened as Mush extended his nose, snuffling at one of Ember's pockets.

She laughed and reached into it, pulling out a crinkly orange package. Mush's eyes riveted on it. "Musette said peanut butter cups were a valid currency and made me promise to bring some because ice cream would melt. I did because what if I can trade them for a cure?" Her voice cracked. "After ice cream, she thinks peanut butter cups fix everything and I want her to be right."

Stryx wrapped an arm around her and murmured into her ear. She rested her head against him for a moment, then wiped her eyes. "Is chocolate bad for dragons?"

Ember and Mush looked to Norrix for the answer — Ember in concern she might kill a dragon with chocolate, the beast daring Norrix to say he couldn't have the snack. Norrix shook his head. He'd seen the beast feed itself on just about everything. "I'm not going to be the one who says he can't have it."

Tearing open the package, Ember removed the treats, peeled the paper off and extended them in her upturned palm. Between blinks Mush inhaled and the chocolate disappeared. Ember scratched the dragon's ears. "When my sister is better I'll bring her here. I think your sweet tooth might be bigger than hers."

"I'm pretty sure all his teeth are bigger than hers," Stryx said, earning a smile from his Draga.

Norrix was amazed at Stryx's transformation since he'd bonded with Ember. It had only been a few days, but for the first time in a thousand years Stryx seemed happy. He even had jokes. A pang of jealousy speared through Norrix. He didn't begrudge Stryx his happiness, but maybe Drake had the right idea. With Dragăs and strygoi coming back into the world, perhaps it was time to leave the compound. He'd watched for seven millennia as vampire after vampire found his match, and in the last thousand years it hadn't been possible. He wasn't sure he could stand being among those unlucky enough not find a Draga again.

"Welcome to the vault." Clio cleared her throat and waved an arm at an endless array of locked doors. Some were small like bank boxes or post office boxes, others ranged up to ornate double doors a giant could walk through without ducking. "It's easier on humans if they don't see the way we get here." She led the way across the room to a long table. "Please place what you would like to store in the vault on the table."

Norrix removed a backpack from his bag and upended it on the table. Rubies, diamonds, emeralds, and sapphires spilled out, along with six right shoes, shoelaces, plastic bendable straws, crayons, pairs of sunglasses, and dental floss.

Mushussu stretched his long neck over Norrix's shoulder and nosed through the piles on the table. He snorted and nudged Norrix. The dragon had watched over Marduk's treasury before Marduk lost all his followers and power as a god. While not as powerful, Marduk's son Nabu had taken over Mush's care. Nabu, uninterested in anything other than stories and history, hadn't done well by Mush. Norrix, tired of watching the dragon languish, had stolen Mush and brought him to Ashana, where he flourished. He provided protection in exchange for access to all the valuables in the vault.

"It's not all about silver and gold, Mush," Norrix said.

Mushussu sneezed and turned to Stryx, eyeing the suitcases he carried.

"I brought silver and gold, among other things." He set the larger of the two suitcases he carried on the table and unzipped it. He stacked gold and silver bars alongside gemstones, salt, duct tape, a black flower that unfurled to stand three feet high, a collection of soaps, and some framed photographs of landscapes.

Mush perused the stacks sniffing the gold and silver. A contented purring sound rumbled from his chest and two doors opened in the wall of doors behind him.

Norrix and Stryx repacked everything and stowed the bags in the cubbyholes.

Clio handed them a variety of colored tokens in different sizes and a list of the worth of each one. "You can use these as payment against any debts if the other party is amenable to the kind of currency they represent. When you pay with token the item it represents will be removed from your vault."

She gazed at Ember and Stryx. "Before we return to the lobby, do you wish to register any enemies?"

"Um, no?" Ember shrugged. Stryx shook his head.

"Very well." She turned back to Norrix. "Would you like to update your list of enemies?"

He shook his head.

Nodding, Clio stared off into space for a few moments. Her eyes flicked to the right and left, then up and down in rapid sequence. "Mr. N, the Deathless is here. Ashana is a neutral territory. We do not allow aggression, bloodshed, combat, discord. enmity, feuds, grievances, hostility—"

Norrix put a hand on her shoulder. "I understand. I wondered if he would be here when I saw his transportation in the hangar. He has a problem with me, not the other way around. I won't cause trouble."

"Good. I'd hate to see the defenses activated because of you." She blinked and switched gears. Crossing to the door she switched the lights off. The floor shook as they were relocated to the room behind the front desk. "Any new rooms?"

"One new room. Miss E and Mr. S will be staying together."

Clio held out her hand and Norrix placed his key in her palm. It glowed gold and she handed it back. "Your rooms will be on floor Thirteen-A. For your safety, do not attempt to go to another floor. Do you require amenities? Atmosphere, bedding, cold, darkness, elements, fauna, gravity—"

Squeezing her shoulder, Norrix said, "A room for humans." He turned to Ember and Stryx. "Ashana is a reverse Hotel California. You can leave anytime you like, but you can never check out. Think of your room as another home. It's always yours, configured for you, unless you lose or destroy your key. If you have any special requests and tell Clio now, your room will always be the same way whenever you return."

"I require nothing special." Stryx lifted their joined hands and kissed Ember's fingers.

"Me either," Ember said. "If we never check out, when do we pay?"

"Rooms are free of charge in Ashana once you have your key."

Clio pulled two keys from a panel behind her and handed one each to Ember and Stryx. "For safety and anonymity nothing will show your room numbers, not even your thoughts. If you wish someone other than yourself to enter your room you must accompany them or request an additional key. Your key will grow warmer the closer you get to your door, cooler the father away from it you are."

<><><><><>

"This isn't a room, it's a house! Are all the rooms like this?" Ember opened all the doors off the living room, revealing two bedrooms, a bathroom, a dining room and kitchen, and a library.

Norrix nodded. "Some live in Ashana permanently. It's a guaranteed safe place no matter who or what they deal with and in."

"Can we eat?" Ember flopped onto a plush sofa and wrapped her arms around her stomach. "I'm starved. Clio mentioned dining."

"Room service only for you." Norrix laughed. "You can ask the staff to bring things to stock the kitchen here in your room or bring already prepared meals. This place was old before the first time I came here, and humans are relatively new to it. No one knows how this place started, but it opens to other worlds. Not everyone has the same... let's call them dietary requirements. The dining she was talking about is more of an experience they cater to if you want to hunt down something and kill it yourself."

Ember shuddered. "Okay, pass on the dining experience. Room service it is."

SofBlack
SofBlack
401 Followers
12