BOOK 3 - Myth Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The dark-haired man leaned close to his witch. "Would you like that necklace?"

The witch smacked his chest. "Ha! If you loved me any more I'd have to kill you."

Myth stiffened, not wanting to see the man to punish the witch for her impudence, but he only smiled and Norrix laughed.

Attendees waved red tokens in the air. The auctioneer didn't bother calling out numbers, just aimed his shellegah at each bidder. He paused on one token and several hands went down. A war between three bidders resulted in the stick moving in a blur, until two bidders gave up. A small rainbow appeared over the winner's head.

"Sold! Next we have Osiris' coffin. Anyone enticed into it will have immortality. But beware! It can only be opened from the outside."

A flurry of activity filled the room as tokens shot up. Norrix's friend won the bidding for the coffin. Myth shuddered. Being an Esne was bad enough, but as an immortal? Myth pitied the witch, who must not understand what that meant. She had pulled part of her mask up and kissed the dark man.

The next half hour took an eternity to pass, but finally the knife was next. Her palms sweat and her heart beat faster. The last few items hadn't garnered much interest. Myth hoped the knife was the same. She had no idea how much she had to bid with.

"The next item... oh, I see the book was removed from the auction last minute by private arrangement." The leprechaun ran his finger down his list. "The next item is the Gem of Kukulkan, which controls the air itself."

What? No, this couldn't be happening. Myth's heart sank. What was she supposed to do now? She put a hand to her mouth to prevent herself making a sound. Iqiohr hadn't given her any instructions for what to do if the knife wasn't available. He wouldn't understand this wasn't her fault. He would hurt Fable.

Myth ran her eyes over the crowd. Was the buyer here? Could she buy it from them? The leprechaun hadn't pointed at anyone and no rainbow appeared. Her gaze was drawn once again to Norrix. The man winked at her. Him! She'd met him in front of the book and knife. No one else had shown much interest in those particular items yesterday. She watched the rest of the items as each sold, numb with despair. Dread coiled in her stomach, the sensation of a thousand tiny scorpions stinging her.

"Now we have the Book of Thoth. Its magic, should you unlock it, will allow you to see gods and speak in the languages of animals."

Norrix won the bidding for the book.

"Sunshine in a bottle, enchanted to renew daily, and a set of stakes made from a variety of woods, dipped in magic, including a crossbow to fire them long distance." Norrix's friend won the bidding for those. He needed to protect himself from vampires?

"An Esne collar and bracelets. They can compel silence and block magic. The chain can be attached to anything." These caused a stir among the white-haired men.

Norrix's Esne sat up straight and tightened her fingers in her men's hands at those. Maybe she did know something after all.

"The formula for an aphrodisiac that compels obedience and increases fertility."

Myth shuddered. It sounded like the gel Iqiohr used on her. She hoped it hadn't worked the last time he had.

"A machete edged with silver, spelled never to dull."

"A set of batrachite, stones containing antidote to poisons."

Norrix won those.

"A carpet enchanted by Djinn."

Ember came to life at this, bouncing in her seat. The bidding was crazy as tokens of all colors shot into the air.

"A firebird feather."

When the auction ended, Norrix and his companions made their way to the front to collect the items they'd won. Myth crept after them, not sure if she should be glad or cry when Norrix accepted the book and knife., then turned to her. "I know you are interested in the book. We are being watched and can't talk freely here. We'll be here a few more hours yet. Find me."