BOOK 3 - Myth Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He doesn't have family anymore. They died thousands of years ago."

Had it been so long? Time had stopped meaning anything, and Norrix refused to let humans get close to him anymore. They tended to stay in one place and their lifetimes were so short. In theory, his life would never end, and as humans expanded across the world, creating new civilizations and pantheons, there would always be something new to Witness.

"He's been my Witness for thousands of years."

"What has he Witnessed for you?"

"Everything."

"Nonstop? A human mind, especially one so young, isn't meant to live this long or remember so much. It's amazing he hasn't gone crazy before now."

"Can you fix him? She said you could help him. I don't like seeing him in pain."

"I can turn him, but I don't know if it will fix him." The tall man knelt in front of Norrix, blue eyes turning black as fangs descended. "Have you Witnessed what I am, what I must do to live? Do you want to change? The process heals physical injuries, makes adjustments to your body. You will grow up, into an adult, but I don't know if it will fix your mind."

Norrix struggled to focus, his grip on the present slipping as hazy memories threatened to take over. "I have Witnessed what blood drinkers do. Will it make things worse?"

"I don't think so. You're dying now. It doesn't get much worse than that."

"What do you mean by adjustments?"

"We are meant to fight. If I change you, your body will grow to its full potential. You won't look like a boy anymore. You are thousands of years old, but your body is adolescent. I've never changed anyone with a body at such a young age before. You will grow taller and bulkier. It will hurt."

"Can I still be the Witness?"

"You will be limited as far as direct sunlight. You can only go out during the day if you are fully covered or in shadows, but if you still want to be the Witness I don't see why you can't."

"I want to try. I want to be grown up."

Riordan bit into Norrix's wrist. On the verge of passing out a wrist pressed against his mouth. Riordan's skin felt cool, but his blood flowed hot. Anticipating a metallic taste, Norrix's first swallow was tentative. The taste and consistency was more like honey and Norrix's next swallows were eager.

The magic rushed through him, his blood loud in his ears as it surged. A sharp pain knifed through his brain. His hands pressed against his head, like squeezing his skull would keep it together and stop it from blowing apart. Nabu could Witness that for himself. More pain slashed through him, joints creaking, muscles stretching, skin expanding.

Serene held him, her soft voice a balm, taking some of the hurt away. She made silver magic dance in the air and rocked him until everything went dark.

Norrix opened his eyes. He lay sprawled atop Mush, Nabu's golden dragon, in a fog of clouds. "I lived." His voice was deeper than he expected. Looking down he saw a grown up body rather than the ten year old one he'd spent thousands of years in.

"Of course you lived." Zax rode a winged lion alongside Mush. Sharur, the talking mace she wielded turned into a winged lion. She didn't call him Sharur though, she called him Hooligan. "I told you before the end begins when you see through the eyes of a child again, not when you grow up."

"My head doesn't feel like it's going to explode anymore, but I don't feel... Right."

"Nabu was naughty, sending you through Ashana to so many other places. Give that god a key and he takes a universe."

"Nope," Bastian's disembodied voice said. "Inches and miles."

"Whatever. Nabu wasn't supposed to do that. We know a little about jumbled memories, and they're not fun. We're not great with memories, actually. Think of this as a band aid until a permanent solution falls into your lap."

"You can fix me."

"I could. But I can't. "

"What—"

"Shhh. The show is about to start."

Beneath Mush the foggy curtain of clouds parted to reveal Norden gods battling with Albion gods, shaking the world with sword blows and lightning strikes. An Albion god reached from the sea and dragged a Norden god under the surface. The water roiled as they fought. The ground shook and the Norden god flew out of the ocean to land ashore. He raised a hammer and struck the ground. Huge sections of the coast plunged into the sea.

The earthquake went on for long moments, the water level rising. A huge wave formed, growing as it traveled over the surface of the sea towards Albion.

"You could stop this."

Zax nodded. "I could. But I can't. You watch because you are the Witness. I watch because of what I can't do."

The wave raced over a low valley, drowning trees, animals, and humans alike before slamming into Albion, the sea replacing land for a mile inward. When the water receded where the valley used to be there was a new ocean, turning Albion from a peninsula into a new island.

Norrix jolted from his reverie. A new island. Island. Aztlan. A new world. Norrix had long since stopped trying to figure out how his memory made associations. Eventually the synapses fired in the correct order and provided him the information he needed.

He had to get Myth out of here now. The Mage intended to use the obsidian blade to bring the Sixth world into being. Norrix had Witnessed the first five worlds born. They had been bloodbaths and there was no reason to think this one would be any different.

Jumping to his feet he stepped towards the door, stopping as he heard an army of heartbeats approaching, and the scent of apples. Myth was coming this way too. Norrix glanced around for a place to hide.

<><><><><>

MYTH

Fable, can you hear me? Myth held her breath, like breathing too loud would prevent Fable answering her. Fable, please little one. Where are you?

Myth wanted to weep as she left Norrix behind to continue her search.

Mommy, I'm here. You came back! The man said you left because I wasn't good.

That's not true. You could never do anything to make me want to leave you. Ever. Where are you, baby? I can't find you in the palace.

They gave me different clothes and the boy took me to his new house.

Myth sucked in a breath. Did Iqiohr know what she'd done in Ashana? He couldn't have seen her inside Norrix's room. But he said he'd have her watched. Was this because Norrix touched her when she fell in the auction hall?

Is there a window? Can you tell me what you see outside?

It's too high. The boy said we have to live here now, until he's ready to be the Scorpion-Mage.

There were several smaller versions of the palace nearby, but everything was status here. The next Mage would be in the next palace. Myth sprinted down the corridor. There were guards stationed outside Iqiohr's rooms, but they were easy enough to avoid.

I think I know where you are. I'm coming for you, little one.

She slipped downstairs and out a door at the end of the hall, closest to the buildings she needed to search.

<><><><><>

Myth scooped Fable into her arms and ran. She had to get them to a barge and across the lake so she could use Norrix's key.

The fog was thick, even more than usual. Was it because of the knife? It was hard to see even inches from the dock over the water. A single raft was moored to an anchor. Maybe Iqiohr had taken his men to the shore. But why? Everything important was done from the top of the pyramid.

A lone soldier stepped out of the fog, cutting off their escape. He shocked her by reaching out for her arm.

Myth jerked back, half turning to shelter Fable from the man's hand. "Touch me and Iqiohr will cut off your fingers if not your hand."

"Esne, it's ironic you invoke my name for protection even as you are planning to leave me." The fog drifted away, revealing Iqiohr and thirty of his men on rafts alongside the dock. He seized her arm and pulled her close. "You've been disobedient. You will have to be punished."

Myth squeezed Fable to her. "I just wanted to see her. I did as you asked and brought you the knife."

Iqiohr's dead eyes narrowed to slits. "It. What you have in your arms is an it. You have done as I asked, yes, but you also did many things I did not ask. Someone remove it from the Esne and return it to the boy."

Fable buried her face in Myth's neck, her little body shaking in silent sobs. Myth swallowed. Iqiohr had always called her 'my Esne' and Fable 'little witch'. Something had changed Iqiohr and not for the better. Last time his personality had undergone such a radical change was when he became the Scorpion-Mage.

Myth held tight to Fable, jerking her arm out of Iqiohr's grasp. She took two steps backwards and turned, preparing to jump. They'd be better off in the lake with the monsters that lived in it than they were with the monster behind her.

"Catch and restrain the Esne. Try not to inflict too much damage. Touching is permitted."

He'd never let any of his men touch her before, but they swarmed her now. She'd been counting on them being afraid to get too close, but even that small protection was gone now. Arms blocked her way, hands grabbed her body and tangled in her hair. Someone bent her fingers backwards until she cried out and Fable was stripped from her hold. Myth screamed and fought, lashing out with kicks and punches. Someone fell into the water with a splash. Men grunted and hands let go, only to be replaced by more hands.

But there were too many against her. As she tired, they pinned her down to the dock on her back, arms and legs outstretched. She craned her neck, trying to get a glimpse of Fable, but there were too many legs in her way.

"What has become of the Esne who watched me so adoringly?" Iqiohr knelt between her legs. His white eyes didn't look so dead anymore, which struck terror into her heart. "I had no idea there was so much fight in you. I thought you broken years ago, but maybe having a spirited Esne would be entertaining for a while." He slid one hand up her thigh to her center. She didn't need the gel to feel nothing from his touch. "Have you had another man inside you, Esne?"

"There's only ever been one man for me." Myth spat the words, speaking a truth to try and hide her lie.

Iqiohr lunged forward, putting his mouth close to her ear. "You have always been clever with your words. That won't help you now."

Myth tried to look away but there were too many faces staring down at her. Everywhere she looked there were hot, empty eyes staring back.

"Cut the dress from collar to waist."

A knife appeared from somewhere, sliding down the thin material. Iqiohr used his free hand to part the sections, exposing her breasts to all his men. Myth closed her eyes.

"No, no, Esne. You know you have to watch or I will make it worse."

Opening her eyes Myth tried to be blank. She wanted to show him how much she hated him, but he still had Fable somewhere. He extended his arm, holding his hand flat. A white scorpion took shape in his palm, tail lashing. It scurried from his hand to her chest, it's legs making her skin crawl as it made its way to her neck.

Iqiohr cupped one of her breasts, squeezing it in a painful grip.

She held in her gasp, refusing to react.

"That is nothing compared to the pain I can inflict."

The scorpion struck, sinking its stinger deep into Myth's neck. Her body bowed, back arching off the wooden planks, but she bit her lip to hold in her scream. The venom burned as it entered her bloodstream, paralyzing her body. She slumped, having lost all control over her muscles.

To her disgust Iqiohr was breathing hard when he released her breast and pulled her dress down over her legs. He rose to his feet and called for his litter.

He climbed into it when his men brought it, holding her on his lap. Four men bent to pick up the poles and carry them back to the palace. Although she couldn't move, she could feel his erection pressing against her. Stroking her cheek he tipped her face back so she had no choice but to look at him.

"I can manifest scorpions all night," he murmured. "Right now I'm imagining what it would feel like to be inside you as you are stung and arch like that. Who knows? Maybe we'll find out I've been going about things the wrong way all these years. Maybe instead of giving you pleasure I should have been offering you pain to get your magic to come out."

<><><><><>

"Where are the guards?" Iqiohr demanded. "I have been lenient so everyone can prepare for the ceremony, but there must always be a watch on my door."

"Yes, Scorpion-Mage." One man bowed. "I will find the two who have abandoned their duty and bring them to the pyramid tomorrow."

Inside his room, Iqiohr stood next to his desk and held her against him in a parody of an embrace between lovers. "You allowed two men and a woman to touch you. You caused the death of one of my soldiers in Ashana. You went into a man's room. You tried to leave me tonight. Your whole life I have taken care of you." He splayed a palm over her abdomen. "If I knew for sure you didn't carry my son I would flay you and cut out your traitorous heart. But it's too soon to tell, so I'll have to punish the little Esne instead."

Frozen, Myth could only strive in vain to move.

He opened a desk drawer, rummaged around and threw something that clinked to someone.

Myth wished she could vomit. The chains. Fable was too young for the chains.

"Collar and cuff your little witch, my boy. It's better to stamp out these streaks of rebelliousness sooner rather than later."

Struggling against the venom's paralytic affects only made it spread faster and burn hotter inside her.

Mommy! Mom—Fable's thoughts were cut off as the collar clicked around her neck.

"Take it away. I do not wish it in my presence until tomorrow."

The absence of Fable's screams hurt Myth's ears more than the loudest wail could.

The door closed.

Iqiohr swept her up in his arms, carrying her to her cell in his closet. He placed her on the cot, arranging her limbs and leaving her alone, still unable to move except for the dread running rampant in her mind.

<><><><><>

NORRIX

Norrix's hands curled into fists and his fangs descended, impotent rage eating at him as Iqiohr put Myth's daughter in chains and handed her over to a boy who left with her. Myth hadn't moved the entire time, not even to make a sound of protest.

She looked like a puppet with her strings cut, dress torn, hair disheveled. She lay still in the mage's arms as he carried her into the cell and locked her in.

When Iqiohr returned he spent the next hour discussing arrangements with men vying for his attention and favor. As far as Norrix could tell, all seven tribes were present, making plans for after the birth of the Sixth world. Norrix wants to tell them not to get their hopes up. It never went well for humans, it was usually like a changing of the guard for and gods interested in taking over.

He wanted to go to Myth but with thirty men, the Mage, and assorted messenger and soldiers coming and going from the room, Norrix didn't have a chance of taking all of them out and making it to her without being killed.

Finally, after having to list to ninety minutes of drivel, a soldier rushed into the room in a panic. "Scorpion-Mage! We need to sound the alarm. There are ahuizotls in the palace! We found the skins of the two missing guards."

Norrix smirked. They'd probably find more skins, and it sounded like the ahuizotls hadn't been seen.

Iqiohr leapt from his seat. "No! We will deal with this quietly. I will not have preparations for the ceremony interrupted."

<><><><><>

MYTH

Myth lay in her room and wondered about possibilities. She couldn't return to her life of numbness now. She had to get out of here, but Fable was missing.

Why did she have to meet Norrix? While the other witches here didn't like her, the life she had was tolerable because she felt nothing. Then, in a few hours, Norrix had shown her pleasure——not his, but hers.

She told herself she'd had to endure him, but he hadn't allowed that, making her choose to be with him and feel things. He touched her without fear. He made her see the possibility of another kind of life.

And she was afraid it was going to be the cause of her death. Although if she hadn't met him she might already be dead, having to return without the knife. While she lived, there was still a chance. If Iqiohr wants to see her spirited, she'd fight

Before her mother disappeared, she said Myth would question everything one day. When that day came and not before, Myth should use her magic. Once she did, she would no longer be able to hide it from the mages.

Well, Myth had never had so many questions as she did right now.

And ever since she saw Ember and heard that voice in her head, she'd sensed another kind of magic. Not hers, but around her, waiting for her to do something.

Telepathy between them was a gift carried down through the women in her family. Her true magic was Seeking. Focusing on the pull in her soul she'd always ignored, she asked her question and let the magic seek her answer.

Her magic surged, elated to be free, eager to help. The other magic she sensed swirled around hers. It added strength to her Seeking, carrying it farther, crossing worlds.

A woman with golden-blonde hair and green eyes sat at a dining room table eating something from a small container. "Hi, Myth. I'm Musette. Ember told me about you. I'd hug you, because I'm a hugger, but I don't think you are. Welcome to Draga space. Have a seat. Ice cream?"

This was not at all what Myth thought was supposed to happen. Maybe the silver magic had made her magic go awry. Maybe a Seeking wasn't as straightforward as she thought it would be. But she wasn't at all sure this woman was a font of wisdom with the answers Myth needed. The stories she knew had led her to expect an old man or woman on a remote mountain top who spoke in riddles.

"Draga space? Ice cream?" This woman might have the riddles part right.

Musette waved her spoon. "If we're going to be friends you're going to need to understand about ice cream. Maybe not Draga space since I don't fully understand that myself yet, and this is Ember's Draga space, not mine. But ice cream is important." She offered a second spoon to Myth, waited until she sat at the table, and pushed the container towards her.

It was strange to be talking with another witch, especially one so friendly. Myth hesitantly scooped some ice cream onto her spoon and tasted it. A trio of flavors burst in her mouth - vanilla, chocolate, and peanut butter. Letting the vanilla melt on her tongue, she chewed the chunk of candy slowly and swallowed. "I think I understand about ice cream."

"Right? Now I can guess you have questions about Dragas and Norrix. We've never met because I'm stuck in a coma, but Ember told me about him. She would have come looking for you, but she found out my magic was poisoned by a Mage and came back to help me. Ember said he was going crazy trying to figure out how to help you. Did Norrix find you?"

Myth savored another bite of ice cream as she tried to process the barrage of questions and information. She nodded. "He found me, but he can't help. He's only one man. There are a thousand of Iqiohr's men in Aztlan. He's got an army and we're on an island. Norrix would be killed."

"You are a Draga, Norrix's Draga. There's nothing he won't do for you, just like there's nothing mine won't do for me. It would be so romantic if I could wake up. Love at first sight!"

"What is a Draga? Norrix called me that, his Draga. I thought it was like when Iqiohr calls me his Esne."

Musette gasped. "No! It's not like that at all. I'll bet you heard Stryx's naughty voice and Ember threatened to kill him at least once, right? Did you feel Norrix's heart beat for you? It won't do that for anyone else. A Draga is the one person a vampire can love. It makes them possessive and protective, but he wouldn't hurt or abuse you. Our vampires are devoted to us. Norrix can help you. Is he close to where you are now?"