Boston to Birmingham Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
qhml1
qhml1
8,907 Followers

After he was gone they sat in silence for a bit. Greg had his head in his hands.

Gwen couldn't stand the silence, she had heard more than enough of that the past few weeks.

"Thank you, Daddy. Now will you please get Hardy to talk to me?"

It broke his heart to tell her, but she needed to know.

"Gwen, he's gone. He went back to Alabama three weeks ago. He's not coming back. It was all I could do to get him to stay with the firm."

Tears sprang instantly from her eyes. She tried to speak but couldn't for the sobs.

"I'm sorry, baby, it gets worse. He filed for divorce before he left. I tried to talk him out of it, then tried to get him to change the reason. He filed on grounds of adultery."

Gwen fainted. Greg sent her home and called a doctor. He sedated her and told him to keep an eye on her for the next few days.

Another three weeks passed. He was sitting with her in the dining room. She hadn't said much the whole time except to ask him to get the best divorce lawyer available for her, she was going to fight the divorce. He refused.

She had gotten shrill and abusive. He was at his wits' end. The spoiled princess was out in full force.

"Gwen, I want you to listen to me. I've been thinking about this a lot. I'm partially to blame for this mess, me and your mother. Your mother gave you everything you wanted and taught you how to be manipulative. I was a single dad and you were my princess, so I spoiled you too, though not as much. Because of your upbringing and wealth, you have a disproportionate sense of entitlement. I'm going to give you a lesson in reality."

"Are you listening to me?"

She nodded, not really paying attention, wondering why the divorce attorney she contacted hadn't set a meeting yet.

"Gwen! Look at me! You have no idea what your escapades have cost me. I'll be paying back favors for years, not even mentioning the money."

"But I managed to keep Hardy out of jail and to retain his license. It was touch and go for awhile. When Allan refused to press charges, a young assistant D.A. trying to make a name for himself decided to press anyway on behalf of the city. Know what it's like to destroy someone? I was going to, but cooler heads won out. The commissioner, the State Attorney General, and the lt. governor convinced him it wasn't a good idea."

"I've decided it's time for some tough love. I'm going to force you to grow up and learn how the real world operates. I'm sorry honey, but you no longer work for the firm. The scandal was just costing us too much. Clients don't like representation that can't keep its' own house in order. So you're gone, I don't have a choice."

Her mouth was hanging open. What had he just said?

"It gets worse Gwen. You've been funneling most of your salary into stock options, keeping about a fourth in checking. You've always had your trust fund and I've always let you draw off it when you wanted something."

"Effective today, you may no longer draw off your trust fund. Your stock options are locked in, you can't cash them out. Your grandmother was pretty smart. There was a section in the trust agreement concerning morality. Should you show weak moral judgement before the trust fund is executed, the trustee can delay the release for years, up to your fiftieth birthday. Your grandmother was a smart old lady, and was afraid you would take after your mother. Don't even think about the townhouse, it's owned by the trust."

"So, you're jobless, homeless, and pretty much broke. Here's what's going to happen. You can refuse of course, but you'll find it hard to find a job anywhere on the east coast. And yes, I blackballed you."

"If you accept what I offer you and behave, in a year you can come back into the firm. By then someone else will have done something stupid enough to eclipse you. I'll even pay for a good therapist if you can find one where you're going."

He handed her some paperwork.

"Congratulations, you are now officially the newest A.D.A. of Franklin County,Alabama. You start next week. Your annual salary is $38,000 a year. I,m a college friend of the District Attorney, and he did me a favor."

"I've done you a favor, gotten you a nice apartment. I took care of the security deposits, but you'll have to pay the rent out of your salary. You can't take your Lexus, it's leased by the firm, remember? I did lease you a nice Ford Focus, they're supposed to be fun little cars. Again, I took care of the deposits, but you have to make the monthly lease payments. You're also responsible for your own phone and utility bills."

"The only condition my old friend put on your employment is a once a month drug test. It'll be discreet, no one will see the results but him. I guess someone told him about your recent problem. Fail once, and you're out of a job, and I won't come to your rescue."

"Do this, stay straight, do a good job, prove you're a responsible adult and can take care of yourself, and I'll welcome you home with open arms. Fail, and you better hope they've got openings for junior associates in Iowa or North Dakota."

"Oh, and you're not flying. You can't afford it. You'll be going on Amtrak. You're only allowed three bags, so pack carefully."

"You can of course refuse, but if you do, be out by tomorrow, or I'll have you removed. I mean it."

He got up from the table, leaving her in shock. He turned just before he went out of the room.

"One more thing. Hardy is there, running an office for me two counties over. You shouldn't cross paths professionally, but if you do, behave.

Oh, something else I forgot. You'll be practicing under your maiden name. Hardy has it in the divorce papers you have to give up his name, so you might as well get used to it."

He left her there, tears of hopelessness and despair running down her cheeks.

qhml1
qhml1
8,907 Followers