Bought & Paid For Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CharmingVixen
CharmingVixen
1,049 Followers

"And," his mother continued, forcing Risk to calm himself down enough to hear her words over the roaring fury in his head, knowing her next words were going to be even less savory, although how that was possible, he couldn't imagine. "I don't think mine is the only charity to benefit from your gracious girlfriend's, err....ex-girlfriend's hands. Cleopatra called me this past weekend to tell me about a stunning collection of pearls donated to her charity."

"Thank you mother. I have to go." He cut the call before she could get in so much as a goodbye. The way he was feeling he would likely bite of anyone's head who so much as looked at him. The pearls. She had given the pearls away. Probably all the jewelry he had given her.

Starting his car, Risk drove towards Ivory's house, considering what he would say to her carefully. His reckless, law breaking driving bore testament to his emotions as he pushed the limits of his car in his restlessness.

Ivory heard the roar of the powerful engine as it pulled up next to her house, and anxiety slithered over her in the ensuing silence as the sound died down. She had half hoped never to see Risk again, while simultaneously dreaming that he would come to her.

She held the door wide as he brushed past her into the foyer.

"Is your mother in?" were his first words.

"No," she answered, disappointment lancing through her that he hadn't come to see her after all, although what business he could have with her mother, she didn't know. "I'll tell her you stopped by for her though. Is there a message?"

"I didn't stop by for her."

"I see." Ivory held his gaze for as long as she dared, before dropping her gaze to the floor. She felt too much when she looked at him. Remembered too much. "Is there something I can help you with then?"

His dark unreadable eyes held her to the spot as she waited for his answer. His scent tempting her in ways she didn't want to acknowledge.

"You gave away the jewelry," he accused.

"Yes." Her reply to his statement was as much to fill the tense silence as anything, but they both knew it wasn't a question. "How did you know?"

"You wanted me to know, didn't you?" her confused, wide eyes lifted to his at this condemning, damning statement. "Isn't that why you gave all the diamonds to my mother?"

Her stifled gasp and the hand that came to cover her mouth revealed more than any well prepared speech or eloquent negation how utterly surprised she was at this news. How absolutely dismayed.

"No."

"Yes," he countered. "But I can see now your move wasn't strategic. So tell me, why did you give away the diamonds? Any of the jewelry for that matter?"

Ivory could only stand there silently appalled. She had never dreamed that someone would clue him in as to what she had done. She knew his mother was involved in charity work, but she had had no idea which one or she would have acted with more caution. The last thing she wanted was to give him cause to confront her. Ivory wasn't stupid. She knew when to count her losses and Risk had been counted too many times as it was.

"I'm sorry," she apologized flippantly, "Did you want them back for your new girlfriend, or is she already a thing of the past? You do seem to be running through them these days." Her last words were delivered in a raw hoarse whisper, and it was clear to anyone even half listening that there was pain behind her words. It offered a very miniscule hope to Risk.

"Would it bother you if I said yes, I wanted them back for my new girlfriend. That she's everything I've ever dreamed of. That I especially wanted the pearl ring as an engagement band for the woman I want to marry?" He watched each word find its mark as the color fled from her cheeks, her hands clenched unconsciously at her side, and her mouth wobbled ever so slightly as though she were holding in some very strong emotions. "Would it bother you?" he repeated.

Ivory stood silently beside him struggling to find the words, to hide her hurt. She felt the tears quivering on her lashes and suddenly it all felt so futile. The past two weeks melted as if they had never been and she felt the hurt anew as though he had just told her again how worthless she was in his life. That he could replace her as easily as one would a burned out light bulb. Except this time it was a thousand times worse, because now he had found the girl that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

"Yes," the words fell from her lips, rough and agonized. "Yes, it would matter." Ivory turned away unable to look at him a moment longer as the tears silently cascaded down her face. Only years of good training pushed the last few painful words from her mouth before she started up the stairs, "Please see yourself out."

Her shoulders shook as she tried in vain to hold the emotional breakdown at bay until she reached the sanctuary of her room. The restraining hand on her arm that halted her progress was both unwelcome and the last straw.

"What?" she turned on him like a wounded animal thrashing and fighting. "Haven't you done enough? Haven't you destroyed my life enough?" The heartfelt cry echoed around the room and Risk drew her into his arms as her tears wet his shirt.

His comforting words fell on deaf ears as she cried all the harder, still trying to pull away. "I don't want your pity," she cried, "Let me go." He brushed a soothing hand down her hair while she fought him, waiting for her to quiet down. When her cries subsided to hiccups and sniffles he set her away from him and tilted her tear stained face up to his.

"There was never another girl."

"Don't lie to me because you feel bad for me," she criticized, knowing her red rimmed eyes and messy hair made her look her worst while he appeared pristine and unruffled.

"When have you known me to lie? " he gently chastised. "If I say there was never anyone else, then there never was. I only said there was because I wanted you out of my life." Ivory's eyes fell to the floor again. He knew he had hurt her with his careless words, but he had to make her understand. "I wanted you out of my life because I fell in love with you and I was afraid you would reject me."

There it was. Out in the open for her to reject or accept. He tried to feel casual about what he had said, how he had exposed himself, but it was more than even he could control. Every breath he drew into his body prayed for her to accept it, to accept him.

Ivory's eyes lifted up to his, searching his face for sincerity.

"I love you," he said again, willing her to believe the truth of his words. "You are the girl I want to marry and spend the rest of my life with."

Ivory stared at him in mute wonder for a few moments before collapsing into another fit of tears.

"Don't cry, Ivory. Please don't cry. It kills me to see you so upset."

Her tear stained face lifted to his as she vied for control of her emotions. "You hurt me so much," she accused, still sniffling, hardly daring to believe.

"I know, and I'm sorry," he apologized, still uncertain of her response. "I'm so sorry for hurting you."

"I love you too." Her soft spoken words fell like balm on his heart as he pulled her tighter into his arms, hugging her close.

"Will you marry me, then?" he proposed, his arrogant smile back in full force and he lowered his head to hers.

"Just try and stop me," she laughed, pulling his head down for the promised kiss, joy ringing in her soul.

CharmingVixen
CharmingVixen
1,049 Followers
12