Bound To Heal Ch. 04

Story Info
Dinner: Thank you and more, please.
22.9k words
4.56
16.8k
4

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/07/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 04: DINNER

Note: Songs and videos appear as part of the story. Find them on YouTube and play them to enhance your reading pleasure.

* * *

As Nancy drove the pickup truck, she and Julie chatted on the way to the village.

Julie was anxious and excited to meet Doogan for dinner as she watched for the restaurant. She was also scared, really scared. Driving was a dangerous thing. She'd learned that first hand -- twice -- first with the death of her parents in their accident a year ago and then just a month ago with her own crash. People just don't sit up and take notice until it's too late. And now it was difficult to admit she was a perfect example.

The pickup truck pulled into the parking lot and stopped close to the front door. Julie took a deep breath and then sighed, "Ok. Here I go."

Nancy looked over at Julie and smiled, "You'll be fine. He's a nice boy and I'm sure he's also a gentleman. You couldn't be in better hands. Call me when you're finished and I'll come and get you."

Julie smiled at Nancy's words of encouragement. She needed it. This was her first date in over a year. Well, it wasn't really a date, just a thank you dinner for the man who had saved her life, who had tenderly cared for her.

Ok, relax. It's now or never. She opened the truck's door and got gingerly out, taking her crutches.

"Hello Julie, need a helping hand."

She jerked, startled by the voice suddenly behind her. "Doogan? Oh my! You scared me," as she felt his hands slide under her arms and press snugly against her ribs securely supporting her balance.

"Oh. Doogan. Please, not so tight, my injured breast."

"Oh, I'm sorry," said Doogan, now remembered her injured right breast. He moved his hand back from her right side. "Did I hurt you, I'm sorry Julie, I didn't mean to," he said sincerely.

"No. You didn't hurt me. It was just the pressure. It's still a little sensitive." She could feel herself getting warm inside from the touch of his fingers and talking about her breast.

"Hello Nancy, How are you this evening?" asked Doogan looking into the open door of the pickup truck.

"Hello Doogan. I'm fine thanks. And how are you?" Nancy asked.

"Just fine, thank you," he said.

"Julie will call me when you're finished and I'll come and get her.

"Oh. You're not having dinner with us? I thought . . ." said Doogan, remembering the three of them in the hospital hallway.

"No Doogan. The accident and Julie's rescue didn't involve me, just the two of you. You two have a nice time.

"Julie, I don't feel right about not having Nancy here with us. I always thought she would be coming to dinner too," said Doogan.

"Nancy, are you sure you won't stay and have dinner with us," said Julie.

"No, you two enjoy a nice dinner, I've already got my dinner planned, it just has to be warned up. Thanks anyway," said Nancy.

"Nancy, don't worry about coming to get Julie. I'll bring her straight home after dinner," said Doogan.

"Are you sure Doogan," said Nancy.

"We'll be home before you get the dishes done," he said smiling.

"Oh, thank you Doogan. That's kind of you. Have a nice evening," said Nancy.

Doogan closed the truck's door and stood close watching Julie get onto the sidewalk.

"I think we're going to have nice dinner," he said. "And I'm sorry I frightened you," he said.

"That's ok Doogan. I know you didn't mean to," said Julie.

He stood behind her as she hobbled up the steps.

They were given a table near a corner. They ordered shrimp for an appetizer but Julie wasn't sure what to order for wine. Just before her parents' accident, she was starting to acquire a taste for wine and didn't know much about the various varieties. Doogan suggested she try a house wine or a Chardonnay. She ordered a Chardonnay, he ordered a Caesar.

"You look very nice tonight Julie, I like your hair and that colourful blouse," he said smiling at her. The swirls of golds, browns, greens and thin black lines looked nice with her brown hair.

"Thank you," she said feeling a blush on her face and neck. She had purchased the blouse over a year ago. "This is the first time I've worn it," She was now pleased with her old, but new blouse.

Doogan opened their conversation talking about movies, old and new. Doogan liked a variety of sci-fi, war, and comedy, Julie didn't know many of the movie titles Doogan mentioned. She had her own favourites: Bridges of Madison Country, It's Complicated, the Descendants. They both liked What Women Want and Casablanca.

When the shrimp arrived Doogan asked, "Wouldst My-Lady liketh the first shrimp with a little dipping sauce?"

"Thank you," said Julie, surprised at the old English dialogue. She watched him pick up a shrimp and dip it in the red sauce.

"The first one is for My-Lady," he said, holding it out for her with a small plate under to catch any drips.

"Doogan!" she whispered looking around, surprised and embarrassed.

"Julie, let's be happy and have a little fun. I thought it would be proper for me to offer it to you," he said, then pulled his arms back and slipped the shrimp into his mouth, biting off the tail shell. "Mmm good." he said, smiling. "Would you like one?"

She looked at him as he enjoyed the shrimp, smiling.

"Ok, I'm sorry Doogan, I'm just not used to letting my hair down," she said. Could you please give me one," she said, a little self-conscious.

"I'd be happy to My-Lady," he said, dipping a shrimp and reaching over to her. "Now open wide," he said, pulling back slightly, making her lean forward. "A little wider. Good. Here you go My-Lady," he said, as he inserted the shrimp into her mouth..

She bit down gently, and he pulled the remaining piece away, setting it on a plate.

"See, that wasn't so hard was it?" he asked. His mind was now overly active, thinking wonderfully erotic thoughts already. Darn, He shouldn't have done that. He was hoping to be a gentleman tonight, not that he wasn't a gentleman. He just had an active romantic and erotic mind, with just a slight twist of kink.

She looked around, but no one was looking at them. She felt less self- conscious now. She didn't answer. She just enjoyed the shrimp.

After some discussion about food, they both ordered the Filet Mignon with brown rice and candied baby carrots.

Doogan let her pick her own other two shrimp and he ate his.

"Is it ok if I ask about your farm?" said Doogan, not wanting to upset Julie. "I've never been on a farm except for emergency calls."

"Oh. Sure. What do you want to know?" asked Julie.

"We talked briefly on the phone the other night about the farm, but do you have tractors and other big equipment?" asked Doogan.

We, umm . . . I have one average size tractor. It doesn't have a cab like the big ones today. I have a couple accessories, a chisel plough, a power take-off for running the belt elevator, a snow blower for the driveway and yard area, a small bailer and hay trailer.

Doogan asked about the equipment and Julie explained their functions.

"I helped my parents all the time, right after getting home from school and on weekends. I wasn't very strong so the manual work was difficult, but I could do the tractor work, plough and till the fields, bail hay and snow-blow the driveway," said Julie. "I actually learned to drive the tractor and use the equipment before learning to drive the pick-up and get a licence."

"That's amazing Julie," said Doogan. He was impressed that Julie could do all the field work with the tractor and other equipment. "But you don't do anything now?"

Julie hesitated a second. "Can we talk about something else please?" She was starting to feel the hollow ache and she didn't want that tonight.

"Sure, so do you follow women's fashion and all the changes every couple months?" asked Doogan.

"No, we . . . I get a couple catalogues from the department stores, but mom and I were not into all that, just the basics," said Julie.

"I guess you have a favorite perfume or two?" he asked, trying to show at least some small interest in her.

"No, I just used mom's," she said, feeling the hollow ach. "What made you be a paramedic and get into ambulance and EMS?" she asked quickly to avoid further questions.

Their food arrived and they briefly stopped talking to taste the food and enjoy their first bites.

"Mmm. This filet is very good Julie. Thank you for this tonight. I had a first aid certificate in order to work at a summer job and then helped treat a couple workers. I found out there was a college paramedic program and poof, "I'm getting my hands covered in . . . sorry, not a topic for the dinner table."

"Was it a tough course . . . program?" asked Julie.

"Yes. The workload was heavy and we learned more than just emergency medicine, we learned emergency driving, and light rescue, and had to know numerous rules and policies under the various health care Acts and the Traffic Act. Passing grade for all tests, skills, assignments, everything was 75 percent from the college I attended, so graduates were automatically honor students. There is talk now of raising that to 80 percent.

"Wow, that sounds tough," she said.

"We lost 25 percent of the students at the first Christmas exams, and more at the next set," said Doogan.

"Can I ask about your job, what you do and have seen?" she asked a little excited.

"Sure," he said. He talked about learning the city and surrounding townships and country roads, where the hospitals were in other communities, working with the air ambulance and those medics. He said some of the things he'd seen weren't good conversation at the table, but maybe later.

"Goodness, sounds like you are always learning new things," Julie said.

"Yes," said Doogan. Some things change frequently and other things drag on that really need to be changed. It's like that in many places. So what hobbies do you have Julie?"

"None really. I did belong to the 4H Club when I was younger. I won third place in plowing against all the boys one year," her face beaming with a big smile.

"Wow. Good for you," said Doogan, showing surprise and support. "Did you raise any animals for contests?"

"No, That takes too much time and effort," said Julie, "I loved the tractor work. It gave me a feeling of being able to do things others couldn't. Not really power, but ability. It felt good to go to school and say I just plowed and seeded or bailed 50 areas, just like the boys. Of course, I'm not that good in the kitchen but mom and dad always liked my Sunday dinners."

"Wow, a chef too," said Doogan, smiling. She seemed like a very nice girl with plenty of skills and knowledge, just shy and in need of some TLC for her injuries and heart ache.

"What hobbies do you have Doogan?" she asked.

"Nothing as exciting as operating a complicated tractor," said Doogan, hoping the statement would help her feel good, "I made a few plastic model cars and planes, played hockey and baseball, had a paper route. Now I cycle, do a little astronomy and plenty of reading, both for work and for personal enjoyment. I like techno-thrillers. In fact, a number of the books I've read have been made into movies: Ice Station Zebra, Firefox, Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger.

They had almost finished their dinner and the waitress stopped to ask about desert. They both declined. Julie said she was paying for this diner as a special treat. The waitress said she'd bring the bill when they finished.

Doogan heard the distant siren first. He listened to try and identify whether it was police, EMS or fire. A few seconds later he thought it was a police car.

Julie saw Doogan look out the window and turn his head slightly, listening, Then she heard it too. A chill went through her. She watched Doogan. He seemed so calm, just listening. Clearly, the siren had his attention.

He saw Julie looking at him, "A police car I think," he said.

"How do you know?" she asked.

"Police, EMS and fire all have slightly different sirens. The police and EMS are the closest sounding, the most difficult to tell apart," he said.

"Wow, I wouldn't know," said Julie, "They all sound the same to me."

"Working in emergency services, heightens your senses for situational awareness and one of the major things is hearing sirens, being able to tell them apart and where they are coming from. Police cars are fast and maneuverable, so those you have to watch for. Fire trucks move slower and are big and bulky, but you never want to be hit by one. Ambulances are in the middle, quick and somewhat maneuverable. " He smiled.

Julie was amazed at this little bit of information was so vital to Doogan for his work. She would never have guessed the differences between the sirens and vehicle performance was so important for his safety.

The police car went by the window, lights flashing, then a yelp from its siren. Julie startled.

"Are you alright Julie?" Doogan asked.

Goose bumps covered her arms and she shivered. "Umm, Yes." she said, not too convincingly.

Doogan saw her shiver for a second. He turned and looked for the waitress, lifting his arm and giving a small wave to her. She nodded and went to print out the bill. "Do you want to sit for a few minutes or head for home?" he asked Julie, knowing she was a little upset at hearing the siren. She would need some serious coaching to get her to drive again.

"I think I'd like to go home," said Julie.

"Ok. You should call Nancy and tell her we're on our way." said Doogan.

"Good idea," said Julie as she looked for her cell phone in her purse.

Julie paid the bill, and they walked out to his car, Doogan walking closely beside her in case she slipped.

He thanked her for a great meal and her sincere gratitude. He was truly moved.

* * *

Doogan started the car and turned on the stereo. He loaded one of his home made symphony CD's and selected track 3 -- J.S. Bach's 'Air'. The slow mellow sound of the orchestra's string section was very peaceful and soothing. Hopefully, it would have a similar effect on Julie during the drive home. He drove slowly out of the parking lot so he didn't upset her.

Julie looked at Doogan. My goodness, symphony music, then realised he had made the selection to help her. "Doogan, thank you for thinking of me. That was very kind of you, but you don't have to play symphony music to calm me down for the ride home. I know you are a good driver. You have to be for your job. What other kinds of music do you have?"

He was driving slower than the speed limit to help reduce Julie's fears of being in traffic.

"I'm sorry. I was just trying to help you. I like a number of types, movie themes, light sensuous jazz, some new age synth music including space and ambient, 50's and 60's rock-n-roll, and some classical music."

"Wow, that's quite a variety. What do you like the most?" Julie asked.

"That depends on my mood and what I'm doing," said Doogan.

"Ok, If you weren't playing symphony music to calm me down, what would you be playing now?" she asked.

"Either light jazz or some erotic music," he said, then realized what he'd said.

"Erotic music?" Julie asked.

"Oh its nothing," he said quickly. "I'll switch to some jazz," he said flipping on the interior light, opening the centre console and grabbing a CD, looking at it, then grabbing another, looking for the CD he wanted.

"I don't know any erotic songs. You mean romantic songs, right?" she asked.

Doogan smiled, "Ahhh yes, that's right." He stopped trying to grab the CDs as some traffic got close ahead.

As the traffic passed, he spoke, "Lots of popular songs have romantic, sensuous and even erotic titles.

"Oh?" she said, "like what?"

Doogan realized he'd backed himself into a corner. Ok. Here goes . . . "Let me think a second . . . Endless Quest, Take My Breath Away, It Feels So Good, Make Me Lose Control, Afternoon Delight, Do It To Me, Kiss You All Over, Long Fellow Serenade, Slave to Love, Tonight's the Night."

My goodness, she had no idea there were so many . . . erotic song titles. "I guess the lyrics are just as . . . erotic?" Julie asked, slightly embarrassed and a little excited.

"Many are double entendre but some are outright erotic, yes," said Doogan. She didn't seem upset at the topic.

She noticed his concentration on the traffic again and looked down into the CD compartment at the six or seven CDs. She could see two marked Erotic #1 -- #2. "May I get a CD out please?" as she reached into the compartment.

"Ok. Thanks," said Doogan. "Oh. No. It's ok. I'll get one as he turned his head and saw she had already selected a CD -- Erotic #1.

She turned it over and saw the list of songs by: Enigma, Joe Romano and Ken Kritzberg. The songs all had very sensuous and erotic titles: Endless Quest, Smell of Desire, Enchanted Eyes, Passion Dance, Outdoor Fantasy, Your Favorite Secret . . .

She had never seen erotic titles like this or probably rarely heard this type of music, even if it was popular. Normally, she wouldn't be interested in songs like this, but Doogan had just mentioned that so many popular songs were 'erotic' and she was now holding a home-made CD with the same title. Maybe it was also being with Doogan that made her want to hear some of these.

"Oh Doogan. These sound interesting. I'd like to hear this CD please," she said.

"Julie, I'd love to play that CD for you, but this isn't the time or the place. I save them for very special . . . um . . . moments."

Julie looked at him for a few seconds. "Oh," she said softly. "I'm sorry for intruding Doogan," as she placed the CD in the compartment.

"However, since you seem very interested in it, I will play one song. Pick one," he said.

"Are you sure she asked?" wondering what was hidden in other parts of his personality. "Two songs please?" she asked, picking up the CD again and looking at the list.

"Just a second," he said, seeing a lane into a farmer's field and turning into it, stopping. "I'll let you pick three songs, one from each artist but you only get to hear the first 30 seconds of each song." he said.

"Thank you Doogan," she said studying the list. After 15 seconds she said, "I don't know Doogan. They all look so romantic and . . . sensuous." She couldn't use the world 'erotic'. I think I've heard of Enigma, but not the other two."

Doogan thought for a moment. This could be the opening to gently plant erotic seeds for future use. "Since both guys and girls are in search of things of mutual interest, may I suggest Enigma's 'Endless Quest.'

"Ok, thank you," she said.

He loaded the CD and started the track. The sounds of an erotic throbbing beat with a light choral background and haunting strings sounding like a flute filled the car.

She was amazed. She had rarely heard music like this, except maybe in a movie. It sent a shiver down her spine. She briefly imagined the erotic image of a latin couple, a trim dark haired hansom man in a black tux and white shirt, and an exotic looking dark haired curvaceous lady in a dark red flowing dress with plunging neck line and a slit in the skirt almost to her hip, flashing a well-tanned shapely leg and thigh. They starred into each other's eyes, facing each other, separately sway-dancing very close, deliberately bushing against each other, teasing. "Oh Doogan, this is very sensual," she said as her mind played the erotic movie.

She looked at Doogan wondering what kind of a man could be so kind and caring, yet have such a mysterious and hidden romantic . . . erotic side. She stared at his face, his image burning into her mind. Ohmy! She remembered the image of his face in the ambulance. She had an urge to reach out and kiss him.

Doogan stopped the song at 45 seconds. "What's your next song Julie?"

It took a few seconds to tear her gaze away from him. She looked at the list again. "I'm not sure. Please help me Doogan."